Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-15-2006, 10:33 AM   #61
SimonWales
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
The record label he's signed to wouldn't really make much of a difference, all Irish artists release albums in Ireland before they put them out in the UK and the US,
Not quite true that. U2? The Corrs? Cranberries? All big (or formerly so) international Irish acts who do the worldwide simultaneous release thing.
You see it more and more now, even smaller acts releasing around the world simultaneously.
And Damien being somewhat in the mid range of popularity, a worldwide, same week release doesn't seem too unlikely.

Play.com is UK based, so if the argument is correct, the Irish release would be sooner than Nov.6th? (and not 3 days earlier - I'm dis-regarding the usual Friday Irish release/Monday UK/Tues US, because that is classed as a worldwide simultaneous release. Some extremely rare exceptions, but only 1 or 2 a year would go against the usual release day of different countries)

Last edited by SimonWales; 09-15-2006 at 10:38 AM.
SimonWales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 10:51 AM   #62
Bumpman

I suppose we could argue it out until the cows come home, we'll find out soon enough.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:16 AM   #63
administrator
forum administrator

the rumour that someone i don't know sent me last week was that the album would be delivered in the UK this week and released on october 23rd... but i have no idea how true that may be.

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 11:23 AM   #64
Bumpman

It sounds reasonable enough, If play.com has a november sixth release date that would mean that the (physical) album will be released at least a week prior to that. As soon as it's delivered you could bet that someone will let it slip. It does seem as though the original idea that they had of having it just pop up on the shelves at some stage may well be in the making. How well they can keep the secret remains to be seen though... I'd be quite willing to bet money that play.com wasn't supposed to announce that they had "9" on the way.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:13 PM   #65
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
It does seem as though the original idea that they had of having it just pop up on the shelves at some stage may well be in the making.
They didn't have that idea, it was ME Do you think they'll send me a thank you?

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:23 PM   #66
alumni
Eskimo Regular

If they trying to keep this secret, we should respect their wishes yes and delete this thread?

I think it should be done.;
alumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 12:35 PM   #67
cille
creepycute

Quote:
I hope they still have the cloth covers, or if not that then some kind of nice paper.
what's wrong with the GOOD OLD FASHIONED JEWEL-CASE - or similar containers that secure the cd from falling out and get all scratchy grr grr
Old 09-15-2006, 12:37 PM   #68
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumni
If they trying to keep this secret, we should respect their wishes yes and delete this thread?
Apparently we should be asking Wheels, you can always trust a corkman to blame a good idea on himself.
Old 09-15-2006, 01:20 PM   #69
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Apparently we should be asking Wheels, you can always trust a corkman to blame a good idea on himself.
Am I going to have to find the post?

Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #70
Ashley
Eskimo Friend

I haven't been online in a while so I just found all this out!

Spookily, when I checked my mail today, I had 9 messages.

And when I was a kid and wanted a band, I wanted to call it n9ne. Which looks stupid now, but it is also one of my lucky numbers. and of course, lennon was down with number 9.
Ashley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:22 PM   #71
administrator
forum administrator

We can now confirm that Damien's second album is to be called "9" and it will be released this year. The release date that Play.com have is not yet confirmed, as they have kinda jumped the gun on this. The date will differ amongst different countries.

You heard it here first!

Last edited by administrator; 09-15-2006 at 01:30 PM.
administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 01:52 PM   #72
audity
High-Five Eskimo

Quote:
In Japanese, nine phonetically sounds like the word for pain. But in Thai it's the same word that's used for change.
Nine is considered an unlucky number in music, it is traditionally associated with the death of the composer.
Where did you hear that '9' means 'change' in Thai? I'd like to know because I lived in Thailand for 6 years and I never heard anyone use it like that.

"Don't worry, ma'am...I've got permits for these."
-The Todd

"For everything that's lovely is
But a brief, dreamy, kind delight."
-William Butler Yeats (1865-1939), Irish poet, playwright
audity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:06 PM   #73
Bumpman

Wikipedia told me... they have a page on 9, it's pretty interesting stuff.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:15 PM   #74
cille
creepycute

In danish, 9 is "Ni". Ni!
Old 09-15-2006, 02:35 PM   #75
simog
Born an Eskimo

I pine for nine.
simog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:29 PM   #76
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl
I doubt there would be a great disparity between the Irish and American release dates. While they may be different, I think they'll be within a week of each other. I mean, lest we forget, Damien has that deal with Warner Bros.
The TV On The Radio Album came out on a European indie label months ago but only got a US release on Interscope in the last few weeks so it doesn't mean that they they'll definately have a similar release date.

And if they don't wouldn't it be really handy for you to have a friend coming to stay from Ireland a week after the release here who could pick you up a copy of the album and bring it over as a "thanks for letting me crash with you" present.
Old 09-15-2006, 03:34 PM   #77
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:

I think it should be done.;
If you want that to happen then start making comments about their personal lives.

I don't think they're trying to keep it secret, that'd be a pretty silly thing to do. More likely they just weren't ready to anounce it yet.
Old 09-15-2006, 04:24 PM   #78
alumni
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
We can now confirm that Damien's second album is to be called "9" and it will be released this year. The release date that Play.com have is not yet confirmed, as they have kinda jumped the gun on this. The date will differ amongst different countries.

You heard it here first!
Boooo the Official site got there first! Sorry Emmett....
Old 09-15-2006, 04:38 PM   #79
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Boooo the Official site got there first! Sorry Emmett....
Actually it was here first... at least officially. (I don't know which forum posted first.)

Last edited by Wheels; 09-15-2006 at 04:42 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:32 PM   #80
alumni
Eskimo Regular

They said it on an message board admin sticky over there at 13.00pm. Here was 14.00pm! Only a bit boo!

Last edited by alumni; 09-15-2006 at 05:40 PM.
Old 09-15-2006, 05:39 PM   #81
Timeé
Intello

shut up alumni emmetts a legend
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 05:40 PM   #82
alumni
Eskimo Regular

I was booing official board for just beating him!!
Old 09-15-2006, 05:41 PM   #83
Timeé
Intello

ohhh hear hear!!! let their message board break down 9 days before the album is released
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 07:22 AM   #84
gomezxico
2day is 1day away from...

i hope its not just 9 songs like some of you have been mentioning though (unless its got hidden tracks)

Quote:
Wikipedia told me... they have a page on 9, it's pretty interesting stuff.
you yourself are a walking wikipedia!

"Argh! Why isn't this working?! Come on, Eskimo Friends, what's wrong with you?!...........Oh, I'm not logged in. "
gomezxico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 03:23 PM   #85
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Ian#
The TV On The Radio Album came out on a European indie label months ago but only got a US release on Interscope in the last few weeks so it doesn't mean that they they'll definately have a similar release date.

And if they don't wouldn't it be really handy for you to have a friend coming to stay from Ireland a week after the release here who could pick you up a copy of the album and bring it over as a "thanks for letting me crash with you" present.
Even though I still doubt the release date in Ireland will be months before the US release date (I mean platinum there is only 15,000 copies? he could sell more than that in a day in the US), I still am quite fortunate that I have a friend coming to visit from Ireland a few days after the release date who can bring me a copy of the album...assuming they don't ban it from your luggage as a potential weapon or something.
Old 09-16-2006, 03:36 PM   #86
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

So a single should be named soon and sent to radios!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We should expect it any day now!! Even if there is no official first single, there is always a promo single... cannot wait!!!!!!!!! Even a promo single should be sne to radios well in advance, meaning NOW!!!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 04:21 PM   #87
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomezxico
you yourself are a walking wikipedia!
I always thought that if Wiki was a person they'd be an irritating bastard, always giving disambiguations in the middle of conversations and whatnot. I try to keep that sort of thing to a minimum.

I'm not sure if I could imagine any promo singles hitting the radio anytime soon, the different labels that manage the album would pretty much be aware of what they're listening to when they actually get their hands on a rough mix of the album, but since they only act as a distribution vehicle for DRM, Damien retains control over any eventual promotion. What all this means in reality is that without some radio friendly material the new album isn't going to get much airplay, and out of all the possible songs there isn't much that'll have the radio stations thinking in terms of heavy circulation. The labels know that, so they may choose to save their money for maybe one or two big single releases instead of trying to sell something that people won't immediately pick up on.

The more likely/logical route for making a success of the new album is with a mid-range level of promotion, maybe with the artwork being put into magazines with some release dates and maybe some cover stories or interviews. After that it seems reasonable to think that the audience that are already there will do most of the promotional work themselves. The 'new big thing' in marketing is viral marketing, which all comes back to the idea of word of mouth. Since that's already there for Damien, I'd imagine they'll save their money for production costs (which are bound to be astronimical if he's avoiding jewel cases again).

Also, GlttrGrrl, these folks will post you a reasonably priced copy of "9" the day before the Irish release date, so that's probably the fastest way for people outside Ireland to get the record. I know I've said it before but y'know, it's worth hammering home.
Old 09-16-2006, 05:38 PM   #88
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

I'd expect Nic Harcourt to start plaing tracks from the new album as soon as he has them to play. He started playing new Ray Lamontagne months before the new album came out. And he played that Lisa Hannigan song that I still have yet to hear anywhere else. That's not to say that I think there'll be a single soon...just that Nic will play what he wants, and no one complains about it because he's a trandmaker and all. I wish I had his job...
Old 09-16-2006, 06:02 PM   #89
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

it's roadrec's birthday of 9 years today... at least thats what their homepage says.

MySpace
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:32 PM   #90
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

9 again? Hmm... maybe it's a tribute album for them?