Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-16-2004, 06:33 PM   #31
Aime
Eskimo Regular

it was 2 or 3 years ago i cant remember exactly oh wait hang on i was in 2nd year am now in 5th it was 3 years ago... i was in my room "tidying" and listening to ash my sister burst into my room and said there are 2 new cds i want you to listen to turned of ash (i wanted to kill her, it was on "oh yeah") then she put in Damien.. pressed play flicked past "delicate" because it was "too boring for your first listen" (a busker said he didnt like delicate i yelled out sacrilege and to make up for it he played creep and dedicated it to me and then a few songs later he played delicate...) so she played Volcano i was entranced straight away then blowers daughter which i didnt like then cannonball, she then turned off the cd and put on Turin Brakes "The Optimist" she played a few things from that (my fave song on that album has to be "state of things"!) anyway she told me to give the 2 cd's a listen and let her know what i think straight away i wanted to put on the one that (this is my EXACT thought) "goes all muddled up at the end" so i flicked through turin brakes trying to find it realised it was on "the other cd" put damien on and didnt listen to anything else for weeks and weeks and weeks.... then she was taking the cd away with her cause she was moving house so i burnt it from her cd (hers was a burnt copy too) then it got scratched i listened to it so much and christmas last year i was lending it to my friend to listen to and i told her she should keep it and i'd buy the proper cd cause i loved it so much and wanted to have the real one, she's passed it on to someone else who passed it on to someone else... i dunno it could be somewhere in... Korea at this stage for all i know but i have my cd of it and thats ALL that matters!!

i also managed to make everyone in my house in irish college become a fan by talking about damien every day then eventually getting my parents to bring my diskman with o and in my notebook everyone from my house says (in irish obviously): "thank you so much for introducing me to damien rice his album is so beautiful!! if you hear of any gigs in : sligo/west-meath/galway/mayo/kildare let me know!!"

*sigh* i do get selfish about damien but only when its the "bimbo's" in my school who talk about him and thats based on "that really nice song that was in the oc.. something about stones flying..?" THAT annoys me! but otherwise the more people who know about him the better i think!!!
Old 11-17-2004, 12:29 PM   #32
corduroy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn fox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jgrg1984

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn fox
That was about June or July of last year. My life completely changed after that, I will never forget it.

...thats so beautiful and so true. gave me chills

Thanks Jgrg...it's true too, I haven't been the same person. Things have been harder but I became me, or became strong enough to be me, it's harder but I know it's so much better. It was like there he was just singing my life and saying everything I think out loud. That was it, it has been one long "moment" since I found him.

i know what you're talking about..happened the same to me when i first heard ok computer..
Old 11-17-2004, 01:38 PM   #33
Jasper
Eskimo Baby

I was driving my sister and cousin home the night my Grandad died - we weren't up for talking so my cuz put a CD in and that was when I first heard Blower's Daughter live at Union Chapel. Iwaskind of torn because I just felt wrecked over Grandad dying, but elated that I was hearing such beautiful music. It reminded me that there is so much in the world to be grateful for...
Old 11-17-2004, 01:41 PM   #34
Jasper
Eskimo Baby

ooh dear - that sounds really cheesy doesn't it! But it really was a very poignant car trip and the beginning ofa delicious affair with Damo's music. Edited by: Jasper
Old 11-17-2004, 01:54 PM   #35
milky
skivvy for the system

i remember the first time i heard of damien i was talking to this lad he recommended him to me that was4 years ago now i then bought the cd nearly 3 years ago and played it continuosly and i remember the first time listeneing to damien singing his part in i remember and goin yes that is the right job!played the cd for all my friends and they became addicted [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-17-2004, 02:40 PM   #36
FlyingCrow
Eskimo Regular

I found Mr Rice when I went to see the Crows back in Aug 2002. I never really gave him any attention at the time and all I was wanting was to seethe CC's.

But one song with the lyric "I don't know I don't know I don't know" stuck with me. So I thought I'd buy the album for this song and well obviously I was disappointed to find it wasn't even on it. But I soon grew to love the rest of it and its more or less been on repeat since.

I'd kill to go back and appreciate the songs more since I now know them.

"how my eyes lose to those noble hands"
FlyingCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2004, 03:10 PM   #37
Lemonhead
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suede
I still get jealous when I hear someone else talk about him. (LOL!)

hehe.andyet here you arein the middle of 2,000 people talking constantly about him... thismust be a bitch.[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 11-19-2004, 05:36 PM   #38
sadistic_bunny
Eskimo Regular

what a great thread.About 3 years ago my friend kept goin on and on bout this new fella she'd "discovered." I didn't pay, much attention to her but one night we were all sitting round messin and she slips over to the C.D. player and puts on blewers daughter. Silence descended on the room. Most of my friends were moaning about how he was depressing but mine and my friends eyes met and I nearly wept.

Ever since its been like my life has been soundtracked by damo. any feeling, any time, any place, his musicwas there.

Old 11-19-2004, 06:19 PM   #39
pamela
Eskimo Regular

i was in liverpool for the weekend, and a rather raunchy one. had spent the night with naughty n nice irish lads. in the car on the way home, listening to radio 1 ( the only one that would stay on from england to scotland ) and eskimo came on and i remember thinking hmmmm, sounds kinda weirdly nice
Old 11-19-2004, 08:24 PM   #40
myfriendbill
Eskimo Baby

I was playing cards with some friends. At the end of the night when I was about ready to crawl under the table, my friend put "O" on the cd player. By the end of Delicate I was just thinking, "OH LORD". The next day I listened to it when my mind was a bit more cleared up and I loved it even more.
myfriendbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 01:50 AM   #41
sandina
Eskimo Friend

I was browsing thru shows on the Morning Becomes Eclectic Radio show here in the US.....and found his performance and was blown away....Here's the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.kcrw.com/cgi-bin/db/kcrw....de=mb&air_ date=10/3/03&tmplt_type=show
Old 11-20-2004, 03:35 AM   #42
neverbird
Eskimo Baby

i was with my friend Tim. we listened to Cannonball and Aime. i cried.
don't know why. except it was beautiful and for some reason i heard
something that was exactly what i was feeling.
For the world's more full of weeping than you can understand.
-W.B. Yeats
neverbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2004, 05:06 PM   #43
marymac
Eskimo Regular

I'd heard Cannonball and Blower's Daughter done by a friend several
times because our house was the meeting point for going out - peoplel
would play guitar and drink basically. That was from October/November
of 2002.

Then he took me Damien's concert that December, and gave me the cd the
week before, so I'd know what was going on, and so the first time I
properly heard Damien Rice was sitting in the living room freezing,
trying to take notes on A Land of Spices</span> and listening to this weird beautiful sound.

And then I went to the concert and became horribly addicted. And Damien
blurted out who he wrote Cannonball about and had to do some speedy
grovelling... Good introduction.
Old 11-20-2004, 05:33 PM   #44
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

lisa wasnt it?
Old 11-20-2004, 06:33 PM   #45
Wideload
Eskimo Friend

I was about 13(which is like 2 years ago)and my big bro had it playin in de car on our way back from limerick and i remember thinkin that the blowers daughter was really cool along with like canonball!i kept tryin to rob it off him but he kept hidin it on me!!![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 11-21-2004, 10:21 AM   #46
marymac
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink
lisa wasnt it?
Yep. Wasn't sure whether to laugh or cringe. Poor girl nearly died.

Old 11-21-2004, 03:20 PM   #47
Aime
Eskimo Regular

that is so sweet. i'm so jealous
Old 11-22-2004, 05:49 PM   #48
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

It must of been 2 and a half years ago ... i have a close friend who lives in england while im stuck in the us ... but she and i always talk about whats new there and whats new here she sent me cannonball over the computer and i said holy moly !!! i immediately told her to send me a copy of O and sure enough as soon as it got here i will never be the same never think of things the same and ive become a huge damo fan... i catch him whenever i can and ive collected alot of live shows from him too ... i even have learned every song of his on the guitar ive just become obsessed i suppose!!!

Visit me and my band at www.myspace.com/zcraftmusic
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 06:04 PM   #49
soda
dutchkimo

april 2003.

just before going to sleep i switched on dutch public radio. In the evening they have my favourite show 3voor12 (3to12)

And somebody was singing in a heavenly tone to me. It was a live
recording of London Calling. Damien played in the small room at
paradiso with just a hand full of people (i think, because not that
many peolpe to be heard on the recoring) I just kept on listening till
the gig was finished. WOW!!! Good thing about 3voor12 is that they put
almost all the gigs they record on-line on their absolutely amaizing
website. (www.3voor12.nl) So I looked it up again, ripped it, and
played it for weeks. Actually I was scared that the cd was not gonna
sound like this gig, so I didn't really bother in buying it. Last
summer in the USA I found the special edition with dvd for a nice
price, so I bought it and loved it. Pitty that the bonus dvd is only 3
songs.....

That's my little story.

soda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2004, 11:42 PM   #50
lucyoliver
Eskimo Friend

The first Damien Rice song I heard was Sand. My friend sent me the song over msn and I was so blown away that I became and instant fan!!! Damien forever! I even got most of my friends hooked on his music! lucy
lucyoliver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:05 AM   #51
crazyfaerie
Eskimo Friend

The first time I heard damo I thaught he wasn't for me but then at witness 2003 I saw him and I've never turned back.......it was the most moving concert of my life,I even shed a few tears!!!!!!!![img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]
crazyfaerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2004, 10:54 AM   #52
eims
Eskimo Eejit

Location: University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Originally from Norn Iron tho..

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfaerie

The first time I heard damo I thaught he wasn't for me but then at witness 2003 I saw him and I've never turned back.......it was the most moving concert of my life,I even shed a few tears!!!!!!!![img]smileys/smiley10.gif[/img]

Heyme too!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]I had heard of Damo but had never heard the music -I just knew he was pretty big to be on before Coldplay!We wanted to have a good place to see Coldplay and thought we may as well go see the DR first-- what a decision!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 11:52 AM   #53
crazyfaerie
Eskimo Friend

Cool!!!!!!!Well the people I was with are mental damo fans so we were in the front row of the moss pit all day just so we could be there for damo.....it was well worth it.[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]We left after him tho coz we didn't want to ruin the damo buzz!!!!!!!!OOOOOOOOOO it was soooooo go[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 01:16 PM   #54
eims
Eskimo Eejit

- u mean u didn't stay for Coldplay?????!!!!![img]smileys/smiley3.gif[/img]
Old 11-24-2004, 01:24 PM   #55
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

the lobby gig weekend after the release of O. didn't know what to expect, was dragged along by a housemate. hadn't listened to the album much but I remember (no pun intended) being blown away by Volcano live. at the time could have sat happy during a show of full live Volcano's.
Old 11-24-2004, 01:54 PM   #56
crazyfaerie
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by eims

No because I had been standing in the same place for 7hours with no food or toilet and we were filled with damo if we had stayed to see coldplay it would have blocked out the damo!!!!!!!we could hear them form the campsite anyway!!!!1111
Old 11-24-2004, 05:49 PM   #57
corduroy
Eskimo Baby

ok..i've started this thread and i feel really nice getting so many replies but i have to admit it's kinda silly of me not to mention my first time i heard of damien rice..

it was last spring when i got a pack of mp3s from a friend of mine -we keep exchanging tones of good and unknown stuff;damo in greece is completely unknown-

he told me "pay attention to damien rice"..put on the cd in my pc and that's it . . i think the first i heard was volcano,and was blown away.

tried to find the original copy but no luck..after a lot of visits in the musicstore they finally got bored of me and brought it from UK.

that's all..

Old 11-24-2004, 07:29 PM   #58
eims
Eskimo Eejit

Quote:

Quote:

No because I had been standing in the same place for 7hours with no food or toilet and we were filled with damo if we had stayed to see coldplay it would have blocked out the damo!!!!!!!we could hear them form the campsite anyway!!!!1111

wow-- u're a dedicated fan!! I'm sure it was def. worth it. so i'm guessing u saw all the acts before him then-- * thinks very hard * were they-- the REvs, Mundy, Badly Drawn Boy? ... cos they were pretty damn good [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2004, 05:51 PM   #59
crazyfaerie
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

wow-- u're a dedicated fan!! I'm sure it was def. worth it. so i'm guessing u saw all the acts before him then-- * thinks very hard * were they-- the REvs, Mundy, Badly Drawn Boy? ... cos they were pretty damn good [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Yea they were all excellent especilly supergrass!!!The only thing bad about the whole day was haveing to watch....god I can't even remember their names........the band with the 3 girls in it.....Well ya they were bad but it made it worth it to see damo rite in front.He waved at us when supergrass were on stage!!!!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-29-2004, 05:57 PM   #60
eims
Eskimo Eejit

-- ya know I think they were the Sugababes or something like that!!!![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]I think we escaped before they came on -- saw Turin Brakesand emmm well other ppl!!