Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 07-21-2015, 03:17 PM   #31
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abso View Post
Here is my vid from Trusty and True, I think I have Coconut too, will check later and thanks to the person who asked for it, that was a premiere for me!
https://youtu.be/ZYZiAfN4xrQ
Please don't share it, keep it for iglooers
Thank you so much for this! It's lovely, and you're right about his unique delivery on this one.

Great job with your video. What camera did you use to shoot it? It's sharp and the sound is great.
DesoleInBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:27 PM   #32
lod
Eskimo Regular

Abso thank you for articulating so beautifully what many of us feel about Damien and esp seeing him live..I love the beginning of trust and true with " she moved thru the fair " it makes him show his irishness so much, did he just play that piece?? I think trusty is his first song that shows his traditional Irishness off.....
lod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:30 PM   #33
Abso
Eskimo Friend

Thank you Verenita, I'm such a Baby in the "Damien live experience world" even if I follow his music since the very first album and I guess that for people who have seen him playing live so many times things are different indeed but it was my 5th show and I've been amazed all along the show, but it was only good feelings comparing to 1st show that was really painful for me, too big shock. This time I think my soul flew so high that my body forgot to cry!
@DesoleInBoston: thanks, I'm not as happy as you because I had to turn my camera because of heads at the front of me so this is not the "original" video, I had to rotate it first before uploading it and lost a bit of sharpness, but I agree about the sound, quite fair! I use a Lumix TZ60, perfect camera for gigs, I need to work a little bit on settings as I had a previous version of Lumix and just changed for this one
Abso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #34
Abso
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod View Post
Abso thank you for articulating so beautifully what many of us feel about Damien and esp seeing him live..I love the beginning of trust and true with " she moved thru the fair " it makes him show his irishness so much, did he just play that piece?? I think trusty is his first song that shows his traditional Irishness off.....
Thank you so much! I struggle with my english, that would be so much easier and precise to describe feelings in french but I'm glad that people see my point as it's impossible to share with persons (even my friends) who didn't experience Damien playing live and this community is a blessing especially when it comes to after show comments, I love those threads where people share their experience.
Old 07-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #35
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

It's so interesting to hear him use the line from "he moved through the fair," which I recognized from one of my favorite Chieftains albums. It always sounded like an Indian prayer when he's sung it before. I don't remember him singing that line at other shows. They transition so well together. Love the many intercultural commonalities in this world and the Igloo! Thank you for sharing, everyone!

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 07-21-2015 at 05:49 PM.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 03:38 PM   #36
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
@DesoleInBoston: thanks, I'm not as happy as you because I had to turn my camera because of heads at the front of me so this is not the "original" video, I had to rotate it first before uploading it and lost a bit of sharpness, but I agree about the sound, quite fair! I use a Lumix TZ60, perfect camera for gigs, I need to work a little bit on settings as I had a previous version of Lumix and just changed for this one
Thanks! I have a Lumix ZS20 and it's not nearly as good as yours. I think we get different versions in the US.
Old 07-21-2015, 04:12 PM   #37
lod
Eskimo Regular

She moved thru the fair.. Beautiful old traditional song, I also love him singing black is the colour.. I'm so curious too how those of u who got to see his pavement show got to know about it????
Old 07-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #38
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Thank you so much! I struggle with my english, that would be so much easier and precise to describe feelings in french but I'm glad that people see my point as it's impossible to share with persons (even my friends) who didn't experience Damien playing live and this community is a blessing especially when it comes to after show comments, I love those threads where people share their experience.

same here
praises to the igloo once and again

there´s a line from dogs that i always handy to describe what i get at his shows: "he gives, i get without giving anything to me" (i hope i´m not lost in translations, as i happened with another line, same song, he).
Old 07-21-2015, 05:12 PM   #39
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

Old 07-21-2015, 05:48 PM   #40
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

^I knew you would find it, Eva!! Thank you!
Old 07-21-2015, 06:01 PM   #41
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

a chanson de moi che je ne connais pas
Old 07-21-2015, 06:07 PM   #42
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I don't speak French, but I love the sound of him speaking/singing it. And I love his French English accent. So funny! Was it Stef who caught him at the airport, too?

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 07-21-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 06:08 PM   #43
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

sounds great even without rehearsing, now that he knows it, he should play it more often!! great song!!!

what I don´t like about the recent set lists is that he´s relying again too much on the older songs and there´s not enough from MFFF, come on starting the show with 5 oldies is too much! the US tour earlier in April was much better in this sense, the show was really built around the new songs, opening with MFFF, playing 6/7 songs from the album each night... I understand him playing more oldies at Werchter or Primavera but in shows like yesterday in Paris he should not base the entire show on O

Last edited by borneoman; 07-21-2015 at 06:16 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:16 PM   #44
Lukin
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
sounds great even without rehearsing, now that he knows it he should play it more often!! great song!!!

what I don´t like about the recent set lists is that he´s relying again too much on the older songs and there´s not enough from MFFF, come on starting the show with 5 oldies is too much! the US tour earlier in April was much better in this sense, the show was really built around the new songs, not around O
He played 5/8 of MFFF. And "I know..." and "long long way" were two highlights of the show. I think it's perfect.

And don't forget The Box in the darkness with the stars at the top of the theatre. Really beautiful.

MFFF was a very important part of this brilliant concert.

Last edited by Lukin; 07-21-2015 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Mistake
Lukin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 06:18 PM   #45
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

^Agree! I like new songs or rare ones. But, it might be because we've been spoiled by multiple shows. You and Stef, more than most.

But, that doesn't mean you guys shouldn't come to Red Rocks!

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 07-21-2015 at 09:47 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #46
Abso
Eskimo Friend

I think that the balance between old and new songs was quite good at Paris.
Here is the link for the audio version of Long Long Way (what a piece of gold!!! ) that I've recorded last night with my camera, no video sorry as I just wanted to enjoy the moment.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bhcv8do4kv...20Way.mp3?dl=0
If anyone knows how to cut an audio recording from an iphone I'd be very grateful
Old 07-21-2015, 08:18 PM   #47
Lys
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
^Agree! I like new songs or rare ones. But, it might be because we've been spoiled by multiple shows. You and Frances, more than most.
Ok off topic but I have been wondering who you are calling Frances? Surely not our Cuuliem, because Frances/Franc is not his name (or I missed something or you have a special nickname for him :P)
Old 07-21-2015, 09:44 PM   #48
carrroline
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by InspirationDestination View Post
^Agree! I like new songs or rare ones. But, it might be because we've been spoiled by multiple shows. You and Frances, more than most.

But, that doesn't mean you guys shouldn't come to Red Rocks!
Why do you keep calling him 'Frances'?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
Ok off topic but I have been wondering who you are calling Frances? Surely not our Cuuliem, because Frances/Franc is not his name (or I missed something or you have a special nickname for him :P)
Oops sorry missed this
(Happened to me twice today )

Last edited by carrroline; 07-21-2015 at 09:46 PM.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 09:46 PM   #49
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

^Oh no! Now, I don't know who I'm talking about! Marti's friend that I met in Philly. Maybe his name was Stef, but I've been calling him Francois in my head because it sounded French. I'm terrible with names.

And, I have a bit of OCD, so now I have to go back and change them all.

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 07-21-2015 at 09:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 09:59 PM   #50
carrroline
person

That's stef/stefan
Don't worry, I totally get it. (And leave them in, it's funny, I think I might start to call him Frances from now on)
Old 07-21-2015, 10:09 PM   #51
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

But, you have to pronounce it incorrectly too. Francois! I give people nicknames all the time, so maybe this one will stick.

Of course, I already changed them and will send him an apology. In my defense, I was so distressed at the thought of having a real conversation with Damien the night I met Stef and did spend some time hiding in bushes (they were potted plants, but nonetheless my recall was compromised).

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 07-21-2015 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:19 PM   #52
lod
Eskimo Regular

And did you have a conversation with Damien??
Old 07-21-2015, 10:20 PM   #53
carrroline
person

I totally get hiding in the bushes as well.
Wouldn't know what to say to the man at all. The closest I ever came to meeting him was standing a couple of feet from him with a goofy smile on my face.

Of course I evolved since then and would act much more maturely if I met him today. *uhum*

Last edited by carrroline; 07-21-2015 at 10:24 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:31 PM   #54
lod
Eskimo Regular

I had an awkward conversation with him new years eve 2008 I think!! he's kinda shy.. And quiet...
Old 07-21-2015, 10:35 PM   #55
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I was with Marti and Stef in Philly and freaked out and left a few minutes before he came out, so no conversation. It would have been perfect because it was a small group. I said a few stupid things after the Artist's Den, but he had just given me a hug and we accidentally saw him in the street on our way home, so I was ill-prepared. I said something so stupid, I don't even want to repeat it. I'm still mortified. Plus, he generously got out of a car to talk to us, so I didn't want to monopolize his time.

He gives good hug (substantial, with a big squeeze for such a slight man. It didn't feel like a boney hug) so get one if you ever get a chance!

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 07-22-2015 at 02:21 AM.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:39 PM   #56
lod
Eskimo Regular

I gave him a happy New year kiss <3

Last edited by lod; 07-21-2015 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-21-2015, 11:02 PM   #57
Lys
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrroline View Post

That's stef/stefan
Don't worry, I totally get it. (And leave them in, it's funny, I think I might start to call him Frances from now on)

Hahaha yes! Let's do that
Old 07-22-2015, 02:17 AM   #58
DesoleInBoston
Eskimo Regular

Delicate from the after show. I'm going to embed again; there is no stopping me now people!

Old 07-22-2015, 04:22 AM   #59
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
Hahaha yes! Let's do that
yeah. but no
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 02:40 PM   #60
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuuliem View Post
yeah. but no
How about cheeky bastard, STEF?? Stef! Stef! Only Stef!