Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #1
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Default Wow, DC brought it! And so did Damien of course... :)

If tonight's show in DC is any indicator of what's ahead - for NYC and the rest of the tour, it's gonna be even more awesome than I imagined!

I didn't keep track of the setlist but I'll sum up what was amazing about tonight as represented by 3 key moments:

1. The most dramatic (IMHO) was 9 Crimes. It was great, but by the end he was looping the music, music got louder and louder, he worked the vocals up to a more and more frantic pace, and then there was a significant number of times he scream/sang first "Motherf***in cheater" and then "Motherf***in useless" over and over, in quite an emotional way. It was intense, and amazing! I haven't heard recordings of 9 Crimes live without Lisa or the band - is this "chorus" typical for Damien when he does it on his own? It felt extra-charged, but maybe that's what it's always like?

2. The most fun was Volcano, which after doing most of it and getting to what would have been the music bridge, he had looped his guitar so it was playing itself, he started drinking more wine, and then he said "The rest of this song has several voices on it... Can 20 or so of you use those stairs and come up onstage to sing?" I think everyone wondered if they'd heard him correctly at first, but he repeated the invitation and I'd say a good 45 or 50 people got up onstage and surrounded him, sitting on the floor or on equipment! He told them which parts to sing (and the rest of us got a part), then he tried to finish Volcano,, which he did, the rounds didn't work quite as intended but it was SO MUCH FUN to watch/participate in! Then when it was over of course many wanted to talk to him, so he was having these little conversations and people were taking selfies with him in the background while onstage, it was hysterical!

3. Don't know the title [song from documentary about Tibet] then he told this amazing story about a song he did for this documentary on Tibet, I think part of the chorus was "What If I'm Wrong?", but the story and what he learned and the song itself was amazing. Does he do that often?

There were so many other amazing moments, mainly exchanges with the audience or things shouted out that made him - mid-song - have to stop singing and suppress his laughs (that definitely happened once, maybe more than once?). OH and Cheers Darling, it was a request and he was waiting for wine to be able to sing it, and he started playing "Johnny B Goode" and joking around and people shouting out funny requests. Then actually sang it, and it was great! Has that been a regular part of the setlists so far?

The energy was great, the audience was mostly well-behaved and funny (a few excessive shout out moments, but great overall), the lighting was so cool, and he just seriously channeled some major energy for this. I've seen Damien probably 7 or 8 times, and this was by far the most memorable.

NYC and everyone else, you're in for quite a treat!

Last edited by Beat Surrender; 04-04-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Beat Surrender is offline   Reply With Quote