Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-10-2015, 09:58 AM   #1
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Default Rate the gigs you've seen live.

Post breakup Damien at Blue Balls 2007 in Luzern. Very radioheadesque. Blew the doors off.

2 Chicago shows at The Vic December 2006 with The Swell Season.

Chicago Atheneum part 2 2014

Chicago Auditorium 1st row April 2015 + Aftershow

Chicago Opera House 2007

Chicago Charter one pavilion 2006 First show. Noisy crowd. Everyone drunk.

Boston with Fiona Apple 2007. Outdoor under the tent with a hurricane rolling through. Fiona is a bit nuts.

Atheneum part 1 sick show walkoff.

Last edited by Shillelagh; 05-10-2015 at 10:01 AM.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:09 PM   #2
carrroline
person

2013 blue balls festival - KKL - Lucerne + aftershow (perfection)
2012 Ghent Jazz (the first one I attended, was amazing to me, not sure if it was as exceptional as I thought it was, but I was impressed)
2014 mini live session at Radio 1 (only +/- 40 people in a wooden studio, 5 songs), Brussels
2014 koninklijk circus - Brussels (guitar version of accidental babies )
2014 carré - Amsterdam (the one where he didn't speak at all)
2013 best kept secret festival
2014 winterthur festival
2013 lokerse feesten
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 02:51 AM   #3
mikerennie
Eskimo Regular

I think this would be the order of my favs....

1. Dec 2006 Boston, Ma Orpheum Theatre (One of the last shows with Lisa) ...also included Glen and Marketa as the opener.

2. Oct 2015 NYC, The Box (Tiny venue, Incredibly intimate show, felt like I was seeing an undiscovered artist.)

3. April 2015, NYC Beacon Theatre (Snuck up to the second row, Glen was sitting behind us, met Damien and Glen after the show. Unreal)

4. May 2008 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre (Damien sans Lisa and very sad sounding)

5. April 2015 Boston, MA Orpheum Theatre (2nd row dead center, got so share the experience with my best friend)

6. Nov 2015 NYC, Apollo Theatre (Was sick and in the last row but still great)

7. Nov 2015 Brooklyn ,The Warsaw, (Crowd wasn't great but was about 3 feet from Damien also my first time seeing him since 2008)

8. Nov 2015 Brooklyn, Greenpoint Lofts (Was a little bit of an awkward show, i did get to strum his lowden though)

Upcoming:

1. May 2015 Gamla Bio, Reykjavik, Iceland
2. June 2015 Prospect Park, Brooklyn
3. August 2015 Red Rocks, Colorado
mikerennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 04:27 AM   #4
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Oh to remember my shows that well that I can even compare them! I remember being blown away in '04 in Atlanta, and also just recently in DC on this tour. But I'm pretty sure the shows with the Frames were awesome, i just can't remember details enough to rank them.

You young folks with your great memories LOL!
Old 05-12-2015, 03:50 PM   #5
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

It's hard for me to compare, since the 6 times I've seen him have all been within a six month period. With that being said:

1. 10/16/14 The Box, NYC My very first time experiencing Damien live after years of waiting. My daughter and I had very high expectations, and thankfully, were not disappointed! Actually, we were blown away and seeing him perform live only fueled our passion for his music! And he played What If I'm Wrong (one of our absolute favorites!) after Sarah shouted it when he asked for requests! ❤️

2. 10/18/14 The Box, NYC Another incredible show! Sarah and I were incredibly grateful to have been able to see 3 great Damien shows from right up front! I remember being so sad that our 3 days of Damien concerts were over and we had no idea when we'd have the opportunity to see him live again. Little did we know that he'd be playing an additional 3 shows in NYC within the next 5 months!

3. Editing post since seeing him 6/17/15 at Prospect Park in Brooklyn...this show was fantastic! Can't compare it to the shows at The Box since they were so different. Damien was just on point, and I love how he can so easily transition from the more quiet, intense songs to the loud, rocking intense songs! 9 Crimes, I Remember, It Takes A Lot... were insanely good. I loved the layering of sounds he incorporated. And it was also great that I got to share the amazing show with my daughter once again, and other friends from this forum!

Then in no particular order:

10/17/14 Warsaw, Brooklyn, NY Great show, annoying crowd. Damien & Glen sang Haalelujah! ❤️

4/4/15 Beacon Theater, NYC Loved that Damien & Glen came out to meet the fans afterward and sang for us! But I wanted to strangle the people that wouldn't stop shouting how much they love him during the show!

11/24/14 Artists Den performance in Brooklyn, NY An exciting night and fun experience, despite the fact that Damien seemed very uncomfortable.

11/15/14 Apollo Theater, NYC

I'm SO looking forward to seeing him (and a bunch of my new Damien fan friends!) again next month in Brooklyn!

Last edited by Circa1992; 06-18-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

in no particula order

-Blue Balls Festival in luzern in 2013 with the after show by the lake
-Days off festival at salle pleyel, paris 2012, with the after show for 15 fans
-Whelans 25th anniversary in 2014
-The Box #1 Nyc where it was mainly requests
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:12 PM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Some of my favs… in chronological order
Ouch, I wanted to write just a tiny tiny bit about each of of my favs, but ended up being almost like a novel

- El Rey, LA, November 2006
I had seen Damo before solo, but that was my first time seeing Damien & Lisa and it was the best gig ever. At the tiny El Rey venue, we lined up very early so was front row touching the stage. Was right in front of Damien but spent the whole gig looking at Lisa ☺ the setlist was incredibly, mostly was one song Damo solo, one song Damo-Lisa duet, they did Then Go, The Professor, Cold water, I remember, Volcano, all of them. And Damo did this little medley in the end with Cross Eyed Bear, Lonelily, The Rat Within The Grain. Damien was in a kinda bad bad mood… Lisa looked like the saddest person on earth, mostly sitting on the floor drinking tea while Damo was singing.

- The Orpheum, LA, Dec 8&9 2006
Damien & Lisa performing two nights in a row in LA, with the Swell Season opening. I remember that at the second show we skipped the Swellies set cos we had already seen it the day before and went to the bar instead The most bizarre moment was when Damien performed My Yoke with a Mexican-fighter mask on, which Glen had given to him as a birthday present. Got great songs over the 2 nights, Damien & Lisa did Is That It My Friend as duet, although Lisa forgot her lyrics. Damo also did Baby Sister, The Animals were gone and Unplayed Piano too.

- The Greek, LA, Sept 2007
Great show in a great venue. Highlight: listening to Insane with the band. And it was incredible, with Vyv´s cello and drums, not sure if it´s done it like this ever again. And we knew it was coming cos at the Greek you can hear the soundcheck perfectly and we heard them rehearsing it twice (actually then is when I met Stef for the first time). For the first half of the show he was in a bad mood, although he was performing great (i.e. we got Crosseyed Bear), think he started playing Accidental babies and aborted it… but then for the second half of the show he was like a completely different person, super chatty and happy. It was a special show cos it was the last one for the 9 tour.

- Paris, Salle Pleyel 2012
This was a sorta comeback show for Damien, and we were expecting lots of newies so we were kinda disappointed when he mostly did a greatest hits show. Luckily he did The Box, but overall the gig was great cos he was in the best mood ever, explaining the longest stories ever, I remember he did a crazy long story for Amie that was like the prequel to the regular story. And when we thought it was all over he came back and did Fool. Again with a crazy long story and then performing the song amazingly. Had heard it before but that was the best version ever. But the best was yet to come: the aftershow. We waited like two hours when he finally showed up, we were like 15 people left. Best aftershow ever. He did three songs: Insane, Back to her Man (first time) and The Greatest Bastard, also first time. I did request Insane (as usual) and he played it but the funniest part was when he forgot the lyrics, stopped, and pointed at me asking for the lyrics and said: you asked for the song!! Too funny!!!! Then we asked for new songs, and he first did Back to her Man, with all of us singing in the end. Then he also did a nice song/improv with Yael Naim, and then, out of the blue and without anyone asking he did The Greatest Bastard, for the first time ever in a show/aftershow. I did recognize it immediately from the lyrics that we knew. It was magic: Paris, an aftershow just outside the venue, 15 people, Damien singing on his knees, like 1 meter from us, Insane, The Greatest Bastard,. amazing!!!

Grado 2012
The place was nice, a little seaside town in the middle of nowhere in northern Italy, close to the border with Slovenia. Was also nice cos Verenita and Sharmin flew in, so we met for the first time, and also Glo joined us from Milano so it was a little Eskimofriends reunion. The best thing again was the aftershow. This time there was more people, maybe 30-40, but we went to a place close to the beach and we all sat on the ground. Damien did a few requests and then he did these two newies he´s never done again, What Have You Done to Her Face, with Robbie, and then Stoic. The latter is one of my favourite Damo songs ever, although he seems to have abandonded it.

Firenze 2012
One of my favourite shows ever. Amazing venue, a sort of open theatre in the middle of Firenze. We ended up sitting on the first row but it was crazy. We waited online for hours and then they opened the doors and we all had to race to the seats, which were like 200 meters away uphill, and it was a sorta stampede of crazy Damo fans trying to reach the front rows. Luckily we run fast. The show was really beautiful, Damo in a very good mood, super funny, lots of stories. Again that was the time when he was only playing The Box from the new ones, but still was great. Especially towards the end when he invited people on stage and we all went, and he did Volcano with all of us singing and then Cold Water in complete darkness, which was mind-blowing in such a beautiful venue under the stars. And then again, another aftershow, but this time, a massive one, with maybe 100 or 200 people, cos it was right after the gig and he even announced it onstage. And again he did The Greatest Bastard, also without anyone asking and it was great to hear it again.

Blueballs 2013
This was really special cos we organized a sorta road trip and drove back and forth from Milano on a minivan, I think we were 9 of us. The show was great, he did open with Fool, which is always nice, but then he asked for people to come onstage for Volcano, we did, and while we were there I asked Damien if he could play Bastard and he did. He said something like, someone asked me to do this song when they were up here… it was the first time he performed it in a proper gig and was amazing and was nice that he played it. And he did an aftershow again, by the lake, which was really magic. Not many people, well, maybe 30-40 but really nice. And he did a few songs and and for the first time ever he did Trusty and True. And we did sing the final part as a choir too, which was nice.

Whelans 2014
One of the best Damo shows ever for sure. I flew in just the same day, met Stef and we were one of the first in line so we ended up on the front row center, seating just in front of Damien, in one of the few chairs. Incredible show, he did The Box and Bastard and a great version of Rootless Tree with new lyrics. But the highlights came during the encore. He started with a weird chat about death, and out of the blue he played for the first time ever Long Long Way, which was beyond beautiful. Then he did a cover of Black is the Colour, which is like my favourite song ever, and he had only done this cover once during the Australian leg of the 9 tour… and kinda went into I Remember and then TBW to finish. Incredible show in an incredible venue.

New York The Box, Oct 16, 2014
The show with the crazy setlist and crazy requests. And overall, a crazy day for me, since I woke up at like 4am, took a four-hour train to Copenhagen, flew to Berlin, changed planes, flew to New York, arrived 4pm, customs, met Stef and directly to the venue, took a double espresso and here we go, first song, of course, Insane so it was clear that gonna be amazing from the start. The place was insanely small, a true shoe box. Very intimate, most songs played in almost darkness. It was the request show and I still cannot believe he played Lonelily, What If I´m Wrong and Sand (+Insane) in the same show. But I also liked to hear the new songs, my first time hearing MFFF, which he hadn´t mastered yet at the time. One of the best shows ever.

New York The Box, Oct 18
After the so-so show at The Warsaw, the 2nd show at The Box was incredible again. With many magic moments. He also did a couple of rarities, Face and Then Go, but the highlight of the gig was to hear Colour Me In, which was played for the first time at this gig. The day before we talked with him after the Warsaw show he said he was not gonna do more new songs, so was really unexpected. Was really magic to hear this song for the first time in here, everyone quiet, almost darkness, another goosebumps moment. At the end, he also did Trusty & True, which was amazing too and a great way to finish the show.

Boston, April 2015
Probably my favourite of the five shows we went to during this leg of the tour. But actually I loved all shows that we attended (New York, Boston, Philly, Montreal and Toronto). I kinda see them as a whole cos we did a sorta road trip ourselves (me, Stef, Sharmin and Maria) following Damien, which was crazy but fun, like 5 cities in one week, 5 concerts, mosty by bus, lots of travelling. I did enjoy the New York show, especially cos we got to hear the new arrangements of the songs, like Long Long Way on the harmonium, the new version of 9 crimes or MFFF unplugged to open the show. Also we got to hear Glen and Damo covering Chelsea Hotel; but Boston was better, mostly because of that incredible version of Long Long Way, in which he did a bit of Cold Water in the middle and then returned to LLW. That was simply magic. Goosebumps moment. We also got Rat Within the Grain earlier, which was great too.
And all the other shows got special moments. In Philly we got Wooden Horse and also got to hear Trusty & True on the harmonium, plus LLW medley with Cold Water but this time basically one song after the other. In Montreal we also got the first and only time ever he´s played Camarillas, which was incredible too. And in Philly we got to chat with Damo with no one else around at like 2am in the morning, so that was pretty special too.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:56 PM   #8
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Marti, Sarah and I fell in love with Colour Me In and Trusty and True after hearing them at The Box...those two songs have been in my head pretty much non-stop since then!

I wish you all could come to Brooklyn next month- it will be much more relaxing not having to worry about ticket swaps. At least my favorite concert buddy will be here to join me this time!
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 10:38 AM   #9
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

That was a great read. Thanks for sharing.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 04:23 PM   #10
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Marti, you are always like a Damo Wikipedia. I'll never understand how you manage to remember all those details. All those 2012-2013 gigs are all blurry in my mind now but you even remember that he opened with Fool at Blueballs, ahah!
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 06:07 PM   #11
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

haha but then I got terrible memory for work-related things guess all my brain is occupied by Damo´s set lists and song lyrics and there´s no place for anything new
Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 AM   #12
madhat181
Uber Fan

Marti how many Damo concerts have you gone to?
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

maybe 30
Old 06-12-2015, 07:40 AM   #14
meh
Eskimo Baby

1 Damo gig just blows any other gig out of the water for me

I saw him play in Edinburgh's Usher Hall on Tuesday and wow. I've had a lot of sadness to deal with over the past month-or-so and hesitated to go away for the gig as I felt inappropriate about leaving home so soon. The journey was horrible but I'm so, so glad I went
When Damo hits the layers and layers of whispers and shouting and music and noise it just turned my bones to jelly and it was as loud as I would play in my headphones so it was all familiar but a whole lot better. The sound hit like a shockwave that wiped out my worries for that time - it was amazing.
The setlist was mostly similar to that of Glasgow's King Tuts gig and it was refreshing to see around 97% of people were not using phones an camera flashes - just people paying money to see and appreciate.. and that standing ovation.. I've been to gigs where standing ovations are whoops and cheers but Damo's one was a whole other beast - genuinely sounded like a massive roar and I will neer forget that.
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 04:43 PM   #15
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh View Post
1 damo gig just blows any other gig out of the water for me

i saw him play in edinburgh's usher hall on tuesday and wow. I've had a lot of sadness to deal with over the past month-or-so and hesitated to go away for the gig as i felt inappropriate about leaving home so soon. The journey was horrible but i'm so, so glad i went
when damo hits the layers and layers of whispers and shouting and music and noise it just turned my bones to jelly and it was as loud as i would play in my headphones so it was all familiar but a whole lot better. The sound hit like a shockwave that wiped out my worries for that time - it was amazing.
The setlist was mostly similar to that of glasgow's king tuts gig and it was refreshing to see around 97% of people were not using phones an camera flashes - just people paying money to see and appreciate.. And that standing ovation.. I've been to gigs where standing ovations are whoops and cheers but damo's one was a whole other beast - genuinely sounded like a massive roar and i will neer forget that.