Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 AM   #61
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^Spam, and do you reckon it's 'constant' or 'constipated'???
Old 12-01-2010, 08:18 PM   #62
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

I thought it was pretty perfect! I liked it a lot better than some of his other "newer" songs, even though I'll really take anything by him I REALLY love the lyrics, and the music was very pretty. The end might not be my absolute favorite, but I don't think it ruined the song. And yeah, you have to remember a lot of these songs are for a charity album with a lot of collaboration going on so it might have a different purpose.

I like it. It's happy and hopeful and even seems representative of the rough/darker times and moving on to a little brighter music.
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:10 AM   #63
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^agree on all you say. I think the song really shows how he's growing up and maturing both as a person and as an artist. I know many think this is an album reject but I find it absolutely beautiful, melody, lyrics, everything. I can also do without the lalala part, but the first part of the song is gorgeous, and love the lyrics about accepting one's faults, so instead of f**k you, f**k you, he's accepting his part of the blame. He's not 16 anymore, he's growing up

and at a personal level I do connect with the song (as usual with Damien), aren't we all big experts on using excuses?
Old 12-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #64
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^agree on all you say. I think the song really shows how he's growing up and maturing both as a person and as an artist. I know many think this is an album reject but I find it absolutely beautiful, melody, lyrics, everything. I can also do without the lalala part, but the first part of the song is gorgeous, and love the lyrics about accepting one's faults, so instead of f**k you, f**k you, he's accepting his part of the blame. He's not 16 anymore, he's growing up

and at a personal level I do connect with the song (as usual with Damien), aren't we all big experts on using excuses?
"growing up and maturing""...if thats what he's doing...Please Damien...Be Immature..Please....He has written ONE/TWO good/great songs (What if im wrong, U shouldnt b here) in about 8 yrs..(9 written mostly by 2002) I hate to sound like this...and it is upsetting, but im at the point of giving up on him....his best yrs seem 2b behind him....
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 06:22 PM   #65
Glockypaws
Eskimo Baby

In my opinion as long as he is making music from his heart and not from the desires of anybody else (which is why I didn't think 9 was as good as O, as it was kind of rushed and pushed to be released), which includes fans, then the music is good.

Also, I'm pretty sure the line is "The junkie knows not when to stop".

As a blush, it gives way to a bruise.
Glockypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 07:10 PM   #66
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Born,

It's definitely "the constipated push for "why?"" which is pure Damo. I do agree it's "junkie" too and was only pointing out that "the joke he knows not when to stop" would not only make perfect sense but is far superior poetically.

The only part that hasn't been corrected anywhere that I've seen yet is in the first verse. You had down "in my pessimistic past, the blame will never make..." which even with a time machine would still be grammatically impossible . The line is actually "and my pessimistic 'pass the blame' will never make this go away".
Old 12-02-2010, 07:43 PM   #67
Glockypaws
Eskimo Baby

Why would it be grammatically improper?

I heard it as "In my pessimistic past, the blame will never make this go away" myself, but can't figure out why that'd be incorrect.

As a blush, it gives way to a bruise.
Glockypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #68
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
"growing up and maturing""...if thats what he's doing...Please Damien...Be Immature..Please....He has written ONE/TWO good/great songs (What if im wrong, U shouldnt b here) in about 8 yrs..(9 written mostly by 2002) I hate to sound like this...and it is upsetting, but im at the point of giving up on him....his best yrs seem 2b behind him....
You're just being silly now. You clearly haven't heard anywhere near everything he's written in the last 8 years. We've only gotten to hear roughly about a dozen new songs from him since 9 was released 4 years ago. Many of them were collaborations, only fragments and/or likely still in progress. Of the ones that weren't you yourself have said in these forums that you liked more than two of them. I remember you at least loved "Stone" and I'd be shocked if you honestly felt that "It Didn't Take Long", "Red-Nose Happy","What This Night is For", "Is That It, My Friend?", "Beast and Beauty", "Slow" "The Waiting Song" and "Under the Tongue" were all terrible songs. I think the only one almost everyone agreed was sub-par was Damo's sweet ode to the power of the Sun "Making Noise". Even then, while the lyrics of the chorus were derided, most agreed the music was quite lovely.
Old 12-02-2010, 08:38 PM   #69
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockypaws View Post
Why would it be grammatically improper?

I heard it as "In my pessimistic past, the blame will never make this go away" myself, but can't figure out why that'd be incorrect.

The past can't be in the future tense. You're essentially saying "In my earlier years, this is what I will do.". Instead of "this is what I did."

Last edited by Spamlet; 12-02-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 12:51 AM   #70
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i like the idea of him playing so many instruments (which is sort of sad somehow), even the clarinet (it wasn´t a trumpet, he)

and i love the sound of gemma´s voice at the end of the song (probably, cause i like her very much, cause it doesn´t bring to much to the song actually ).

regarding liking the song, it´s about being moved by the song, imho. so, some of us are moved and some just aren´t... both sides are respectable
Old 12-03-2010, 02:38 AM   #71
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet View Post
You're just being silly now. You clearly haven't heard anywhere near everything he's written in the last 8 years. We've only gotten to hear roughly about a dozen new songs from him since 9 was released 4 years ago. Many of them were collaborations, only fragments and/or likely still in progress. Of the ones that weren't you yourself have said in these forums that you liked more than two of them. I remember you at least loved "Stone" and I'd be shocked if you honestly felt that "It Didn't Take Long", "Red-Nose Happy","What This Night is For", "Is That It, My Friend?", "Beast and Beauty", "Slow" "The Waiting Song" and "Under the Tongue" were all terrible songs. I think the only one almost everyone agreed was sub-par was Damo's sweet ode to the power of the Sun "Making Noise". Even then, while the lyrics of the chorus were derided, most agreed the music was quite lovely.
What song is Red Nose Happy?
Stone, You Shouldn't be Here, Beast and Beauty, and Under the Tongue are some of my favorite songs.
Give up on him if that's how you feel. People change and grow. He has said that he doesn't really write when he is happy, and he seems to be happier so we're probably not going to hear anything like the older stuff because he isn't in that place anymore. And honestly, I would feel pretty damn sorry for him if at 37 he was still angry, and moping and brooding over situations that had happened to him when he was a teenager, or in his 20's. And I would lose respect for him if he still wrote and performed songs like the older ones just to appease the majority, even if he didn't feel that way anymore.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:20 AM   #72
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^That.

myself I don't consider Red Nose as a proper song, it's an improv. He asked the audience for a colour, an emotion and a body part, and did an improv song about it...

personally, the only recent sub-par Damien song is Making Noise but we have to consider the special circumstances under which it was written, the cause, and all. In regards to Under the Tongue, I like it but don't love it... the rest (Stone, What This Night Is For, Is that it my Friend, You Shouldn't be Here, Beast & Beauty, The Waiting Song, What If I'm Wrong) are all amazing, a 10 out of 10

Last edited by borneoman; 12-03-2010 at 01:03 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 03:08 PM   #73
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^That.

myself I don't consider Red Nose as a proper song, it's an improv. He asked the audience for a colour, an emotion and a body part, and did an improv song about it...

personally, the only recent sub-par Damien song is Making Noise but we have to consider the special circumstances under which it was written, the cause, and all. In regards to Under the Tongue, I like it but don't love it... the rest (Stone, What This Night Is For, Is that it my Friend, You Shouldn't be Here, Beast & Beauty, The Waiting Song, What If I'm Wrong) are all amazing, a 10 out of 10
Born, I'm positive you wouldn't be saying you don't consider it a proper song if you heard it. It's about 7 epic minutes long and has a beginning, middle and end, four verses two different bridges etc. (unlike "Happy Green Joe" or what I know of some of the other half-ass ones like Angry Yellow Penis or whatever it was called). Bottom line: fully/partially improvised or not R-NH is easily one of my top 5 Damo songs of all time. After all, DR claims he improvised a lot of his best songs in a few minutes and you wouldn't say something like Eskimo isn't a proper song simply because of that fact, right?

I didn't immediately love UTT either but it really grows on you the more you listen to its rather clever, dark lyrics and gorgeous melody.
Old 12-03-2010, 03:34 PM   #74
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

actually you're right, oops, I had Happy Green Joe in mind when I wrote that
Old 12-03-2010, 10:30 PM   #75
tlh235
Eskimo Friend

Give up...NEVER!!! it would be nice to get an ep every couple years though....or a studio version of a song that he knows will never make an album....INSANE, SAND, You shouldn't be here(last one please be on next album....i love that song). Your fans will stand by you but you should at least give them a studio version every now and then. you give us, we give u!
tlh235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:18 PM   #76
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

I am a little bummed that I have to buy the whole album, because I've already paid for two songs on it... But for Damien, & charity, I suppose I will.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #77
Swedish Professor
Eskimo skiier

I really didn't like the song that much first time I heard it but It has grown on me. Now I find it very, very beautiful.