Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 04-04-2015, 05:34 AM   #1
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Default Wow, DC brought it! And so did Damien of course... :)

If tonight's show in DC is any indicator of what's ahead - for NYC and the rest of the tour, it's gonna be even more awesome than I imagined!

I didn't keep track of the setlist but I'll sum up what was amazing about tonight as represented by 3 key moments:

1. The most dramatic (IMHO) was 9 Crimes. It was great, but by the end he was looping the music, music got louder and louder, he worked the vocals up to a more and more frantic pace, and then there was a significant number of times he scream/sang first "Motherf***in cheater" and then "Motherf***in useless" over and over, in quite an emotional way. It was intense, and amazing! I haven't heard recordings of 9 Crimes live without Lisa or the band - is this "chorus" typical for Damien when he does it on his own? It felt extra-charged, but maybe that's what it's always like?

2. The most fun was Volcano, which after doing most of it and getting to what would have been the music bridge, he had looped his guitar so it was playing itself, he started drinking more wine, and then he said "The rest of this song has several voices on it... Can 20 or so of you use those stairs and come up onstage to sing?" I think everyone wondered if they'd heard him correctly at first, but he repeated the invitation and I'd say a good 45 or 50 people got up onstage and surrounded him, sitting on the floor or on equipment! He told them which parts to sing (and the rest of us got a part), then he tried to finish Volcano,, which he did, the rounds didn't work quite as intended but it was SO MUCH FUN to watch/participate in! Then when it was over of course many wanted to talk to him, so he was having these little conversations and people were taking selfies with him in the background while onstage, it was hysterical!

3. Don't know the title [song from documentary about Tibet] then he told this amazing story about a song he did for this documentary on Tibet, I think part of the chorus was "What If I'm Wrong?", but the story and what he learned and the song itself was amazing. Does he do that often?

There were so many other amazing moments, mainly exchanges with the audience or things shouted out that made him - mid-song - have to stop singing and suppress his laughs (that definitely happened once, maybe more than once?). OH and Cheers Darling, it was a request and he was waiting for wine to be able to sing it, and he started playing "Johnny B Goode" and joking around and people shouting out funny requests. Then actually sang it, and it was great! Has that been a regular part of the setlists so far?

The energy was great, the audience was mostly well-behaved and funny (a few excessive shout out moments, but great overall), the lighting was so cool, and he just seriously channeled some major energy for this. I've seen Damien probably 7 or 8 times, and this was by far the most memorable.

NYC and everyone else, you're in for quite a treat!

Last edited by Beat Surrender; 04-04-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Beat Surrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:43 AM   #2
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

Sounds amazing! Thanks for sharing your experience. He doesn't play "what if I'm wrong" often. Only a handful of times. I think it's his best written, most profound song. I get chills at certain parts every time I hear it.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:47 AM   #3
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Cool, that's good to know! I should have clarified: when the 45 or so people got onstage, one of them was a woman who requested "What If I'm Wrong", so that's why he explained it and sang it. It was seriously amazing. Maybe he'll break it out a little more often now that it went so well?
Old 04-04-2015, 05:48 AM   #4
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Ahhhh just got back. I was on stage again!! Everybody was taking selfies though... I ran too fast even forgot my phone...
conanemily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:49 AM   #5
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Yes I saw the girl talking to him after Volcano, she asked for What If I'm Wrong, and he sang it immediately afterwards! Amazing
Old 04-04-2015, 05:54 AM   #6
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by conanemily View Post
Ahhhh just got back. I was on stage again!! Everybody was taking selfies though... I ran too fast even forgot my phone...
You've been onstage with him before? Tell that story! (Or tell it again, cuz I haven't heard it! )
Old 04-04-2015, 06:07 AM   #7
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Last year, in New York, The Box show, it was actually my birthday- and I was on stage with him with 3 other guys and a girl, singing Volcano together. When I talked about it now it still feels like a dream! It was a very small venue, so intimate, and he actually let another guy playing his guitar, who was absolutely great.

Tonight was amazing too!! I heard him saying he need people singing with him and I just jumped off my seat haha
Old 04-04-2015, 06:16 AM   #8
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Super cool! Was the box show the one streamed online? Brooklyn? How did it go singing with him with so few people onstage? You obviously must be able to sing - I'm awful and could never imagine getting up there!
Old 04-04-2015, 06:25 AM   #9
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

I recorded the whole gig, if you need it I can pm it to you when I get home tomorrow! I saw five of his shows by far, that one is really the best.

Haha today I guess I just want to get a little bit closer to him... He looks so relaxed and happy! I'm so glad I came today, 6 hours on bus was totally worth it
Old 04-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #10
carrroline
person

Whoa! Sounds like an amazing show. Thanks for sharing your stories.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:04 PM   #11
commonsense
Eskimo Regular

See, now I thought it was a **** crowd. There were, what, a thousand people there? What kind of narcissist decides, "oh, in this quiet moment I'll yell out Damien's name and have a conversation with him to request a song." That was the absolute worst. Add into that the hooting and yelping during the quiet moments of songs...THE QUIET MOMENTS ARE QUIET FOR A REASON! They are not invitation for you to interject your enthusiasm and Inflict it on the entire audience. Then there were the couple people who felt the need to, again during dramatic pauses in songs, to yell out "clever" responses to lines, like the girl who yelled out "me!" after "with someone else on top." It caught Damien off guard and he started laughing, which completely shattered the building emotion of the song.

The man is not a jukebox and you are not a part of the show unless he asks you to be.
commonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 01:22 PM   #12
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

do you have the setlist? did he also do Long Way and T&T like the other day?
Old 04-04-2015, 01:53 PM   #13
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by commonsense View Post
See, now I thought it was a **** crowd. There were, what, a thousand people there? What kind of narcissist decides, "oh, in this quiet moment I'll yell out Damien's name and have a conversation with him to request a song." That was the absolute worst. Add into that the hooting and yelping during the quiet moments of songs...THE QUIET MOMENTS ARE QUIET FOR A REASON! They are not invitation for you to interject your enthusiasm and Inflict it on the entire audience. Then there were the couple people who felt the need to, again during dramatic pauses in songs, to yell out "clever" responses to lines, like the girl who yelled out "me!" after "with someone else on top." It caught Damien off guard and he started laughing, which completely shattered the building emotion of the song.

The man is not a jukebox and you are not a part of the show unless he asks you to be.
I totally understand that you were highly annoyed by the times people did shout out, but your post makes it sound like it was a constant all night and that simply wasn't true. For 95% of the show the audience was completely quiet during quiet parts (except maybe for the "clever" couple near you). And we just have different opinions about the "me" comment, I thought it was really funny and enjoyed watching Damien try to keep on track. I was very close and it was clear he enjoyed it too.

As for requests, to be fair he encouraged shouting out because most times people did he stopped and asked them to repeat it. Most solo acts don't respond because it does encourage more shouting. It definitely got out of hand a few times, but mostly the interactions seemed to energize him. And I thought we got a great show because of it. An intense show.
Old 04-04-2015, 02:04 PM   #14
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

BTW He definitely said "see you next year" before encore!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:18 PM   #15
verenita
... trusty and true ...

beatsurrender, thank you so much for your review. i could feel it was very intense and i´m just so happy for all the people who were there, including damien.

the volcano thing became quite usual and everybody loves it and gets into it evey time he does it! in dublin, volcano was the second (!!!) song and yet he managed to hooked us all up and enjoyed! one of the highlights for me.

as for 9 crimes, he gets very intense, with both piano and guitar, but i don´t think he sang those lines before. not that i recall, at least.

about the requesting/shouting out songs you guys mentioned, i think it works well sometimes... but i do have the feeling the man himself makes it clear if he wants to carry on or shut everyone´s mouth up. it seems to me he welcomed the request during the show, but i wasn´t there, so i don´t know. i´m glad he played again what if i´m wrong and i hope he considers to include it as a regular from time to time.

Last edited by verenita; 04-04-2015 at 02:36 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 02:21 PM   #16
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Requests have to happen!! Thats how we get unusual setlists!!
Old 04-04-2015, 02:30 PM   #17
carrroline
person

Yeah, but remember, there's a time and place for requests and it isn't during a dramatic pause (and please don't request cannonball or the blower's daughter )
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:01 PM   #18
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

I totally agree, and I'd say during the whole show there were only 3 or 4 times when it was inappropriate shouting out during quiet moments. Otherwise it was between songs or the odd comment like "Me" and it was great (in my opinion, I know others may feel very differently).

And no, no one asked for Cannonball or Blower's Daughter during quiet moments!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:28 PM   #19
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Wow, sounds like an amazing show! Fingers crossed we get "What If I'm Wrong" tonight! My daughter requested it at The Box in October, and I thanked him for playing it when I met him after the show at The Apollo Theater! I Didn't think it was possible to be even more excited for tonight's show, but I am after reading about last night!
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:42 PM   #20
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

I'll be happy for all of you (and wildly jealous!!) if he takes it up another notch tonight! Especially since so many from this board will be there!
Old 04-04-2015, 03:47 PM   #21
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by Circa1992 View Post
Wow, sounds like an amazing show! Fingers crossed we get "What If I'm Wrong" tonight! My daughter requested it at The Box in October, and I thanked him for playing it when I met him after the show at The Apollo Theater! I Didn't think it was possible to be even more excited for tonight's show, but I am after reading about last night!
Would love to get "What if I'm Wrong" tonight, too! So excited!!!
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 03:52 PM   #22
amyyhc
Eskimo Friend

wow sounds like an amazing show!
now i'm even more excited for his show at the Beacon tonight
amyyhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:27 PM   #23
glo32
Eskimo Regular

From some brief video I saw on instagram, it looks like he's now playing I Don't Want To Change You on his electric guitar??
I'd love to hear that

Anyway, if any of you guys are recording these shows, please share!
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #24
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Setlist?
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 05:51 PM   #25
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Setlist?
Sorry I'm lousy at setlists. Hopefully someone else will report.
Old 04-04-2015, 07:53 PM   #26
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

Just got back to New York, 10 hours round trip...
let me know if i missed anything!

MFFF
9 Crimes (omg this version.!!!)
Delicate
Cheers Darling (by request)
I don't want to change you
Greatest Bastard
Elephant
Volcano
What if i'm wrong
Long long way (this song is so so so beautiful...........)
I remember

Encore:
The Blower's Daughter
It takes a lot to know a man (super long, like 10+ mins)
Trust and true

2 hours in total
Old 04-04-2015, 08:21 PM   #27
verenita
... trusty and true ...

that setlist was a real treat! thanks for posting
Old 04-04-2015, 08:27 PM   #28
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

You're welcome!

but I definitely missed something.... hmmm
Old 04-04-2015, 08:44 PM   #29
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Well you forgot Johnny B. Goode...

And we got a choir for Trusty and True, but I guess everyone does?

Didn't he do Cold Water (but without bringing anyone onstage)? Or did I totally imagine that?

Last edited by Beat Surrender; 04-05-2015 at 07:05 AM.
Beat Surrender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2015, 09:24 PM   #30
conanemily
Eskimo Regular

That one I can say, is definitely imagination... Haha

I actually said to him on stage, can we hear Cold Water today, he said "maybe next time"... Maybe tonight?!

Last edited by conanemily; 04-04-2015 at 09:27 PM.