Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 07-15-2015, 03:40 PM   #1
Jibs
Eskimo Baby

Default Berlin

anyone going to Berlin and wanting to meet up? Am travelling from London on my own for it so good to meet up with!

Thx
Jibs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 10:41 PM   #2
Lys
Eskimo Regular

Just got an email from the venue management:

Dear Damien Rice Fan,

We would like to inform you, that during the Damien Rice show "no drinks" are allowed in the auditorium. Drinks will be only sold in the foyer and beverage must be consumed also in the foyer. A re-entry in the auditorium with a drink will be not possible.

This happens as explicit wish of Damien Rice, in order to not disturb the quiet atmosphere of the concert.

Before the show there will be mobile retailers selling drinks in the auditorium.

Thank you for your understanding.
Your MCT Team

---
Same as in Galway. However I don't think the german audience will misbehave, drink or no drink :P It's just not in their genes
Old 07-22-2015, 02:18 AM   #3
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

We weren't allowed to go to the bathroom during songs (only after a song ended) at some of the NY shows, so drinking outside seems like a luxury.

I think he seems better suited for smaller, quieter shows. I can't imagine these rules will work if he is doing a louder album next year. I would think a musician would want a raucous crowd for that kind of music.
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:39 AM   #4
Jibs
Eskimo Baby

still wondering if anyone wants to meet beforehand? Who from here is going?

Thx
Old 07-22-2015, 11:16 AM   #5
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i wish i could (empty pockets issue here!)... have an amazing time!

regarding drinks. argentina is not hard drinker country (of course, there´s alcohol and stuff) and as far as i remember is not common to bring drinks to the venue. eva?
Old 07-22-2015, 01:05 PM   #6
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
i wish i could (empty pockets issue here!)... have an amazing time!

regarding drinks. argentina is not hard drinker country (of course, there´s alcohol and stuff) and as far as i remember is not common to bring drinks to the venue. eva?
No, not common at all. But I haven't been to a proper gig since 2012 so maybe things have changed. I don't care about drinking during/before a show and I hate public bathrooms so I barely drink any water before going somewhere though
Old 07-22-2015, 05:52 PM   #7
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I enjoy drinking, but haven't for the Damien shows. I drink a lot of water, though. Even though I hate public restrooms (and the lines for Ladies Rooms), if nature calls... And, some of those songs are over 10 minutes long!

I worry about making tight rules for events. People's inclination is to be defiant and resentful when others try to control them (something I think Damien understands well). I imagine Galway wasn't his first "bad" crowd and it won't be his last.

I hope his team and those whose consult he values help him redirect his reactions. Although it is hard and not his usual "method," he can learn to channel his frustrations into his louder songs and make his quieter ones more vulnerable (because he is if he is pouring his heart and soul into music that people are talking over) to gain a bad crowd's sympathy/empathy.

There are many ways to handle it, if he prepares for it. He has already made so much progress in HIS resilience and that's what I hope he continues to focus on. He can only change his reactions not anyone else.

I hope the Berliners have a great time, no matter what!

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 07-22-2015 at 05:57 PM.
Old 08-03-2015, 06:20 AM   #8
Claude
Eskimo Regular

Finally I will go to Berlin...
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2015, 07:09 AM   #9
Lys
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude View Post
Finally I will go to Berlin...
Hahaha, i knew it

Do you have a standing ticket?
I am seated this time because i have to work from the hotel and can't queue early therefor.
But I'm in for a drink after the show somewhere
Old 08-03-2015, 10:30 AM   #10
Jibs
Eskimo Baby

i would be up for a drink after. i am also seated in row 3 (I think)
Old 08-03-2015, 01:16 PM   #11
Claude
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
Hahaha, i knew it

Do you have a standing ticket?
I am seated this time because i have to work from the hotel and can't queue early therefor.
But I'm in for a drink after the show somewhere

Yes you're right !
I couldn't resist...

Normally I should be standed,
but at the moment I've got no news from my seller...

Yes Jibs we could have a drink after the show !
Old 08-03-2015, 07:42 PM   #12
Lys
Eskimo Regular

No activity at the Michelberger...��
Well it was a long shot anyway...
Old 08-03-2015, 07:58 PM   #13
Lys
Eskimo Regular

Scratch that. Manager sighting.�� But no sign of upcoming gig.
Old 08-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #14
Claude
Eskimo Regular

May be tomorrow night...
Old 08-03-2015, 08:39 PM   #15
Chrystiane
Eskimo Baby

Wink Meeting?

Hi,
We just landed in Berlin. Where do you guys want to catch up tomorrow? After the show? Jesus, I hope it's not going to be too hot.
I actually was really happy to read about Damien's wish with the drinking. Last year in Berlin it was absolutely annoying to hear the loud noise of opening doors because every 3 minutes someone got in and out. Besides of the blending light that got in. It felt so respect less towards his amazing performance.
Have a good climated night in Berlin.
Chrystiane
Chrystiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2015, 11:51 PM   #16
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Requesting "never". He hesitated didn't say a word and moved to long long way
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:09 AM   #17
fillthesound
Eskimo Baby

I'am leaving the venue now because it' s raining and i overheard someone saying they already left and i have to be at work in 4 hours.... If there will be an aftershow concert i really don't want to know! But great, great Show! I was a bit worried because of the size of the venue but for the most part of the show it was quiet! No Colour Me In which i had Hoped for... there were still some People outside when i left so Good luck to them!!! Will posting some Pictures when i get Home! He talked about on Stage tonight that he will be Start Working on the new Album After the Tour Ends!
fillthesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:16 AM   #18
fillthesound
Eskimo Baby

He did Talk quiet a Bit though- from sperms over multiple personalities to guilt, donating to charity, how we actually all making out with each other because of the the closeness in the room, thanks His Crew he didn't Tool requests that's right!
fillthesound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 06:50 AM   #19
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

so what did he play? setlist?
Old 08-05-2015, 08:09 AM   #20
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

Pretty much the same setlist as on the recent gigs. Na Rare songs, so surprises.
I figured 'Never' would be a hard one, but probably he will be playing that again since its reminds him from times looong ago.
Will post the proper setlist along with the recording (...backup device again...).

I thought this show was an extraordinary performance though.
He was very chatty and his performances were full of emotion and vibe.
Most of the time i thought " wow, that's the Damien of 10 Years ago again".
The Songs sounded like the versions when he still played with full band.
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:55 AM   #21
Lys
Eskimo Regular

Loved this long encore:

Also find more on my channel. Really enjoyed this show. He was in fine voice, indeed quite chatty, but he only started to talk at the intro of trusty & true. For a while I was afraid it was going to be a Carré situation but he loosened up. Lots of clapping and singing along going on, but in a respectful way.
Loved to hear Long Long Way again!

We waited a while after but found out we missed him as he was getting out on the other side. So no after show...
When we arrived in my hotel he was already there with Miriam and we had a little chat with him. He said he really enjoyed the show and the venue, although he couldn't see a thing. But that he felt a lot of participation and energy and that made him really into it.
I asked him the difference with Copenhagen, because I felt he was very much into it there as well - extremely relaxed and talkative. He said it's such a gorgeous venue but the way it is designed almost is too nice...and people behave accordingly. So it's more draining for him there, lots of giving and hard to receive anything back from the audience.
After a little more talk he left to sit outside with Mariam and friend.

Later we saw some commotion going on on the other side of the street. People dancing and singing in a tunnel at the station. The we saw Damien coming from that direction. When he passed us inside the hotel later I asked what was going on there. He said, there was some guy singing.
Imagine if you're singing with your drunken face with your friends and suddenly are joined by Damien. LOL. Must have been a great moment for them.
Old 08-05-2015, 09:37 AM   #22
Ewa
Eskimo Baby

Sooooo great show, much better then the last one in Berlin. Full of good energy and positive vibes. And there was this mad, mad version of It Takes A Lot... the ending with all those screaming was just mindblowing. I stood there and wasn't able to move for a while. Very powerful experience. I loved the unplugged encore as well. And I finally got the chance to hear german fans singing . I'm staying in Berlin till Friday and I really hope that there will be something going on today as well...

Last edited by Ewa; 08-05-2015 at 11:18 AM.
Ewa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 11:25 AM   #23
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lys View Post
When we arrived in my hotel he was already there with Miriam and we had a little chat with him. He said he really enjoyed the show and the venue, although he couldn't see a thing. But that he felt a lot of participation and energy and that made him really into it.
I asked him the difference with Copenhagen, because I felt he was very much into it there as well - extremely relaxed and talkative. He said it's such a gorgeous venue but the way it is designed almost is too nice...and people behave accordingly. So it's more draining for him there, lots of giving and hard to receive anything back from the audience.
After a little more talk he left to sit outside with Mariam and friend.

Later we saw some commotion going on on the other side of the street. People dancing and singing in a tunnel at the station. The we saw Damien coming from that direction. When he passed us inside the hotel later I asked what was going on there. He said, there was some guy singing.
Imagine if you're singing with your drunken face with your friends and suddenly are joined by Damien. LOL. Must have been a great moment for them.
i´m glad you had the chance to talk to him, lys thanks for sharing and for the vids!
i wonder if it was oli (from the igloo), i hope so

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewa View Post
And there was this mad, mad version of It Takes A Lot... the ending with all those screaming was just mindblowing. I stood there and wasn't able to move for a while. Very powerful experience.
i totally get you and i´m happy you got that feeling

thanks a mill for the recording, ian (as usual )
Old 08-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #24
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

Heres the Setlist:

Damien Rice
04 August 2015
Tempodrom - Berlin, Germany

Source : Sony HDR MV-1
Transfer: Wavelab

# DO NOT SELL! DO NOT CONVERT! #

Main Set:

01: Cannonball [03:57]
02: Delicate [05:13]
03: Elephant [06:17]
04: 9 Crimes [04:59]
05: Trusty and True [07:21]
06: La Professor & La Fille Danse [06:06]
07: I Remember [08:02]
08: The Greatest Bastard [04:35]
09: Long Long Way [08:28]
10: The Box [04:06]
11: It Takes a Lot to Know a Man [13:31]

Encore:

12: Older Chests [05:01]
13: My Heart * [07:31]
14: My Favourite Faded Fantasy [05:39]
15: Volcano > + [02:37]
16: Don't Wanna Change You > + [02:03]
17: The Blowers Daughter + [04:35]

* With Mariam the Believer
+ Unplugged Medley
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:27 PM   #25
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

he almost played MFFF in full, pity he left the best song out (Colour me In)

the tour right now has too many staples, too many oldies played every day, songs like Elephant need to take a break
Old 08-05-2015, 12:54 PM   #26
carrroline
person

No, not elephant... There are so many songs he can skip, but i'll never get tired of elephant

Thanks for sharing videos, stories and recordings!
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 01:09 AM   #27
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrroline View Post
No, not elephant... There are so many songs he can skip, but i'll never get tired of elephant

Thanks for sharing videos, stories and recordings!
I agree...Older Chests can go, but NOT Elephant!
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 01:03 PM   #28
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

Thank you, guys

I agree with caro, not Elephant! Maybe Cannonball or The Professor. They've been played to death
Old 08-05-2015, 02:38 PM   #29
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

for me, ideally he should play all the songs from MFFF at every gig and rotate the old ones... but of course he´s doing the opposite
Old 08-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #30
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

I think he just forgets the songs from the new album. I agree, though. He can't stop Elephant or Volcano. I also like Delicate and the Professor. He needs to play Accidental Babies more.

I would be willing to part with Older Chests (for some reason, it's the only song that I actually dislike), Amie, and Cannonball.

I do remember Never and Down (I confused Never with Never Go Down). I don't think I've heard Never Go Down. When did he play that? (sorry off topic)

Last edited by InspirationDestination; 08-05-2015 at 03:20 PM.