Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 12-10-2003, 10:29 PM   #1
kristine
Eskimo Regular

Well, I just got back from Damien's closing gig of the US Tour...

of course it was phenomenal, but here's some details for you all :-)

He played the following (this is what I remember, and it's out of order)

Delicate
Blower's Daughter--> Creep
I Remember
Older Chests
Cannonball (Lisa Sang)
Volcano
Hallelujah
Woman Like a Man
Cold Water

It was an incredibly intimate and incredibly short show. He only played for an hour and 10 minutes because the venue had other shows going on after him, but the crowd and closeness of it all made up for that!

at one point I think something fell off the stage and someone got hit by it (I think it was a guitar pic) and he told the person, "well you can sue, you are in America" which got a laugh...Tomo was wearing a shirt that said "f**k Bush." so it seemed appropriate! He spoke a bit about the song Older Chests, which I hadn't heard him talk about before...basically just about how it's too bad we make things that are purely functional anymore...and that there is something to be said for beautiful buildings and such.

PLUS!! I got to meet the band after the show...I first saw Viv(ok, I know there's a Y in there somewhere, but I forget how she spells it) and then Tomo and Shane...I had something I wanted to get signed, so when I saw Lisa duck out for a cigarette, I followed her. She was so sweet...I explained that I'd been at the Monday show at the Warsaw in Brooklyn and that I'd sent back some cough drops for Damien...to which she responded "Oh, that was you? Kristine?" haha! cool :-) she remembered my name, which could be a bad thing, as in, "oh, that was you? you stalker!" but I'm going to pretend it was positive! When she headed back in, she said she'd ask Damien to come out...so I waited another twenty minutes or so and grabbed him! well, not literally, unfortunately...but the thing I'd had signed was a simple sign from the Denver show he had to cancel due to the flu, so he thought that was kind of funny and explained how sick he was and sorry that he had to back out...when I told him about the cough drops, he didn't say much of anything, so I have a feeling I might have freaked him out slightly...so, next time, no gifts! (oops?)

so, yeah, amazing show, amazing moments, and amazing night...I'm all smiles heading to bed!
Old 12-10-2003, 10:42 PM   #2
Krystian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristine

PLUS!! I got to meet the band after the show...I first saw Viv(ok, I know there's a Y in there somewhere, but I forget how she spells it)

wow great review, um she spells it Vyvienne [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

http://www.chrismahanukwanzakah.com/
Krystian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 07:38 AM   #3
DougPan
Eskimo Baby

Yes, very short but incredibly sweet performance.They were mesmerizing in such a small venue. Damien's voice returned 100% I think. Lisa sang 'Cannonball' so I don't think he did thatas a snub on Monday as someone suggested.Theysaidthey are returning to tour U.S. again in March.

Hi to Maggy and Molly if your read this
DougPan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:22 PM   #4
xxltaco
Eskimo Baby

i was there too. unbelievable show. i was reduced to tears about 80 times. one of the funnier (bittersweet) moments was when damo changed the lyrics to blower's daughter - now i can take my eyes off of you. an obvious reference to lisa and damo's breakup.

as far as after the show...it was a private party for vector recordings (damo's u.s. label). i was lucky enough to be on the list. damo played ANOTHER full show for the guests. included was a cover of "when doves cry."

he was in a mood evidently, because he wasn't entertaining any guests after that. the label owner told me to just go home (rather than wait to meet him). oh well. still one of the most memorable shows ever.
xxltaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 03:46 PM   #5
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxltaco
now i can take my eyes off of you. an obvious reference to lisa and damo's breakup.

What the heck do you mean? obvious? breakup? first off, how do you know that? Second, and most importantly, why do you care? I mean, especially enough to spread the rumor in a fan forum...
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 04:03 PM   #6
xxltaco
Eskimo Baby

i said obvious because others in the crowd also laughed at the reference ( in fact, it was someone there who told me). i don't really know if it's true, but that's what i was told. just thought it was worth mentioning since it was a tiny part of the show. he did change the lyrics after all.

so, that's what i meant. obvious? maybe not. breakup? that's the word. i'm sorry if that bursts your bubble. but ask yourself this: why do YOU care so much?
Old 12-11-2003, 04:20 PM   #7
kristine
Eskimo Regular

yeah, I noticed that comment he made also...but it was not as you worded it...he sang "Can't take my mind/eyes off of you" ...then as a side comment, "I know that's not true anymore" and then clearly smiled/chuckled. I honestly didn't think much of it, other than it was kinda funny...but any reference to Lisa wasn't "clear"

if anything, it was just a casual reference about falling out of love/obsession with someone...you write a song about being in love, and then, down the road, it's kind of funny to see that you maybe weren't in love, or just had been so overly in love...

I don't know...that's just how I percieved it...I thought it was funny [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

and, he seemed in very cheerful spirits after the first show, so maybe he was just tired, and not necessarily in a mood...I mean, I'd imagine that a company party would be slightly stressful anyway...
Old 12-11-2003, 04:33 PM   #8
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxltaco
i said obvious because others in the crowd also laughed at the reference ( in fact, it was someone there who told me). i don't really know if it's true, but that's what i was told. just thought it was worth mentioning since it was a tiny part of the show. he did change the lyrics after all.

so, that's what i meant. obvious? maybe not. breakup? that's the word. i'm sorry if that bursts your bubble. but ask yourself this: why do YOU care so much?

I care about baseless rumors being spread about something that you obviously don't reallyknow anything about. Unless you ask him what it's about and he gives you an explanation, why tell other people what they should read into it?

He made a comparable addition to the same lyrics during the DC show...I can't take my mind off of you/Yes you can f**ker (he muttered and laughed), but I would hesitate to read anything into it other than what Kristine suggested.

And, honey, you did no bursting of any bubbles...I just think you're speaking out of your ass
GlttrGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:09 PM   #9
ORion
Eskimo Baby

i was at the show (truly incredible) and was blown away, despite it being such a short performance. i was puzzled as to whom the "next show" that was going on was.

xxatlco,so damien (alone? with the group?) did a private gig for his label? i left pretty much right after the first show, but did they kick everyone out who was there before they started the second? what was the set list and how did it compare to the first one??

i'd love to hear more details, please!
ORion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2003, 05:27 PM   #10
xxltaco
Eskimo Baby

you had to be invited. they walked around and checked names off a list.

set list will be tough as i was well into my two-drink minimum by then (he didn't go back on until 10). i remember the prince cover...volcano, seven nation army...the whole band came back...definitely a much more intense/down set...at one point the label prez went up to the stage in the middle of one of damo's intros and gave him a glass of wine (which he truly appreciated). i'm sure the stress of playing for the industry was indeed there. and he just had a birthday (dec 7) which can be a thought provoking event every year.

thanks for clarifying his side comment during blower's daughter, kristine. although i could have swore he sang it.

but what do i know. i just talk out of my ass

promise no more rumors. just facts.

[img]smileys/smiley12.gif[/img] Edited by: xxltaco
Old 12-12-2003, 04:52 PM   #11
weve
Eskimo Baby

I have been thinking about seeing the Northampton show on the 9<SUP>th</SUP> . Damien slipped into "Weatherman" during Face. The only part I really picked up on during the show was " I should have stayed at home 'Til I got better". I figured it may be a reference to the snow on the ground outside and his cold. However, the lyrics are; " It's a beautiful night for me to be here, Now our love is dead, I should have stayed at home, And watched the weather, Well it's a wonderful night, But this is it now, I've left your head, I should have stayed at home, 'Til I got better"

Later in the show, at the end of Cheers Darling, he slipped into "When a Man Loves a Woman" and the lines that really jumped out to me were;

When a man loves a woman
down deep in his soul,
she can bring him such misery.
Yeah, she's bad, but, oooh,
he's the last one to know.
Lovin' eyes don't ever see."

It stuck with me and I am curious if he was just a littletired and sick, or maybe a littlesick and tired.
weve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 10:09 AM   #12
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

the second show also included a cover of babe im gonna leave you by zep! it was incredible. iwas not on the list but had hung around by the concession stand for awhile, gotten an autograph and by the time we gotto the door the guests for the private show were arriving. a bartender was handing out shots of tequila which we happilyaccepted, headed to the bar and enjoyed the show!
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote