Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 05-31-2007, 08:30 PM   #61
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

I just saw this film this weekend and I thought it was charming. I hate musicals but this was film is not your typical musical and I quite enjoyed it. Definately loved the fact that I'd been to a lot of those places where it was filmed and so it brought back wonderful memories. Only minor things I would say I would have like to have seen different but like someone else mentioned I don't want to ruin it for anyone so I won't say what those are.

I went to the screening in Hollywood, registered for tix and everything but still could not get in. It was absolutely packed, lots of industry fork there. So I was sad not to be able to catch the Q&A with Glen & Co.

I love the Swell Season, I caught them live back in October of last year and they were really, really great! One of the best gigs I went to last year.

Wow, Adelaide...that's such an awesome memory to have. How random and wonderful!

Last edited by Soleillily; 05-31-2007 at 08:33 PM.
Soleillily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 08:52 PM   #62
Timeé
Intello

This film was about 9 or 10 music videos rolled into a movie. (Not literally but it felt like it).

Still liked it though.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 09:01 PM   #63
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleillily
Only minor things I would say I would have like to have seen different but like someone else mentioned I don't want to ruin it for anyone so I won't say what those are.
I wonder what? There's always the bonus footage when it's released on DVD.

That's pretty cool singing with Glen, Adelaide! I had a similar encounter with him once upon a time, twas a little surreal.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 03:55 AM   #64
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
I wonder what?
Haha!
Old 06-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #65
FireDancer79
The Girl That Does Yoga

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyb
so freakin cool... is this the night?
That's awesome! And it sounded great

I loved the movie!

Cheers!
FireDancer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:33 AM   #66
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

the soundtrack is now ranked as the #7 bestseller in music on amazon.com and the movie is now #14 in the box office and has grossed $1,062,046, pretty crazy since its only been in theaters for 3 weeks and the 1st week only had 2 theaters showing it and the 2nd only 20 (i think) this week there is 60 and by mid june there's supposed to be 150 so i bet itll see the box office top 10 by mid june which will be great
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 AM   #67
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think it's gonna expand to a loooot of cities in the US this weekend. It even opens in my lil town this Friday!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:33 AM   #68
buddy
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Five Leaves Left
the soundtrack is now ranked as the #7 bestseller in music on amazon.com and the movie is now #14 in the box office and has grossed $1,062,046, pretty crazy since its only been in theaters for 3 weeks and the 1st week only had 2 theaters showing it and the 2nd only 20 (i think) this week there is 60 and by mid june there's supposed to be 150 so i bet itll see the box office top 10 by mid june which will be great
i hope so. these are the types of movies that should be successful. but keep in mind that there are some really big movies coming out (ocean's 13, die hard) and others that are already out (shrek, pirates, spiderman) that will be in the top 10 for a while.

buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 03:16 PM   #69
Adelaide
Eskimo Princess

And for my fellow Torontonians.... the soundtrack is due out in Canada on June 12th, I think, but Soundscapes on College Street West (past Bathurst, near Clinton) has it already! I got mine
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 12:32 PM   #70
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

I got the soundtrack this morning and love it!

Only ordered it yesterday, and it came the next day Woohoo!! I love "The Hill" And "All The Way Down"! IT is such a good sound track, cant wait to see the film

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 04:44 PM   #71
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I got the soundtrack early this week, the signed one!!, and it's great, been listening all week!!

and I watched the movie yesterday!!!! Fantastic, definetely best musical ever!!! Nothing to do with crappy musicals like Dreamgirls or Chicago... Took me a while to get use to the Irish accent My fav scene was when the girl goes shopping for batteries and sings If you want me on thw way home...

Couple questions.... might incluide spoilers...

Is Leave played in the movie? I didn't hear it...

Did you notice that Glen & Marketa's characters don't have names!! Even in the credits they appear as the guy and the girl!!
Old 06-09-2007, 05:08 PM   #72
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Did you notice that Glen & Marketa's characters don't have names!! Even in the credits they appear as the guy and the girl!!
Yep, at the Toronto screening, John Carney said that was completely intentional - he was looking out the window or something and just watching everyone walk by, when this couple walked by and he had no idea who they were or what their story was as he kept watching.

And that's kind of how he wanted the audience to feel when watching the movie - like you were just watching these two anonymous people walk by, completely free of predisposed judgments.

(just got my copy in the mail the other day too! definitely an Oscar worthy soundtrack as far as I'm concerned )
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 06:10 PM   #73
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I think I read at IMDB that it won't qualify for the Oscars because technically the songs appeared first in the Swell Sessions... damn it

Do you recall if Leave is played in the movie?
Old 06-09-2007, 06:30 PM   #74
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

I don't know if that matters. I mean, the song nominated from Crash was released on a separate album 2 years before Crash came out - all that matters is that the song was originally written for the movie.

And according to FOX Searchlight (and Glen/Marketa - http://www.reverseshot.com/article/o...erview_carney), the songs were written specifically for the movie after seeing the script (and some after filming started), minus Say It To Me Now I guess. So, I think they could make a good case here

Hmm... it's somewhere in the beginning I think? Was that the song he sang when the "Girl" first saw him? Or was that Say It To Me Now?

Last edited by srahman24; 06-09-2007 at 06:34 PM.
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #75
Timeé
Intello

i think Leave is playing in the background during one of those 'time is passing' scenes.
it definitely is in the background anyway.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 10:28 AM   #76
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

Default leave

Leave was played on a little recorder by Glenn near the beginning of the two hanging out. I believe it was played in his room, towards the end where there are no lyrics, but he's doing the "la da la da"
Old 06-13-2007, 05:31 PM   #77
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

adelaide you are my new hero, that was fantastic

i just got the cd a bit late i know. unofortunately i live in the middle of fukcing nowhere and i didn't get to see it the last time i was out of town
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote