Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 10-23-2004, 03:58 AM   #1
rossdonnan
Eskimo Baby

hey guys

just wanted to let you all know what happened lasntight. damien was pretty pissed about it. the crowd wouldnt stop chatting, only a selected few people at the back.

he had to stop playing 4 times and mention it to them saying "i dont understand you, paying 50 bucks for a gig then yapping all the way through it". i felt for him.

great performance anyway, played "aime". the crowd sang along to the blowers daughter more than cannonball which was weird.

peace. rossco

Old 10-24-2004, 08:05 PM   #2
Hannah650
Wee Wils

he's right, its a waste of their time and money, and must be beyond irritating for poor Damien!![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]Hope you enjoyed it all the same Ross!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
Shazne
Eskimo Friend

I can't get over that! How rude![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img] Australians can be a tad rude sometimes.

Just before I met him after the Metro gig, we were rather unceremoniously chucked out of the bar. I was ranting outside the door about how blunt some Australians can be "no breeding.." etc etc. Not realising he was standing 10 ft behind me!

Oopsie!
Old 10-25-2004, 01:54 AM   #4
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 07:56 AM   #5
Gret
Eskimo Baby

Hey

I'm Gret, and this is my first post, as you can probably see. So I'm just a tad intimidated. I was at the gig at the Armadale and I have to agree with the complaint. The main 'yappers' were right behind me and they were really pissing me off as well, a bunch of idiots more interested in downing jugs of beer than listening to good music. I really felt for Damien, especially when he had to stop 'mid-song' at one point to tell them to shut the hell up. I'm more than a little ashamed at my fellow Aussies.

But, even with the crowd problems it was great to see him live. Loved the set, including a great cover of Hallelujah. He played Cannonball fairly early, and The Blower's Daughter in the finale, may explain why more people sung along. Was an interesting touch how hemeshed the cover of Creep into the end of The Blower's Daughter.

Actually I was wanting to ask anyone who reads this something. There was one song that he played that kind of caught my attention. I hadn't heard it off the albums, and after looking through the posted lyrics I haven't been able to find anything, but I didn't recognise if it was a cover or not. Seeing as you guys seem to know your stuff I guess you're the best to ask. I remembered some lyrics, kind of sketchy (after all I've only heard it once):

"Do you brush your teeth before you kiss..."

"Does he drive you wild, or just mildly free..."

"We should really (stop this), before one of us makes accidental babies"

Can anyone help me out with a name or some more details???

Thanks

Gret

Gret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 10:02 AM   #6
Lady_Fuchsia5
Eskimo Baby

hey gret, my 2nd post ever, lol

i heard some other eskimos talking about the song ur describing, and its called 'Accidental babies'. Apparently its an unrealeased song that Damo dindn't want people to hear. Thats why their r no copies of it orthe lyrics here. U were lucky to hear it!
Old 10-25-2004, 12:19 PM   #7
Gret
Eskimo Baby

Thanks so much for the info.

When I heard it on the night i was so sure it was one of his, but then I couldn't find anything about it. It was a cool song, with some really quirky lyrics, it just sort of jumped out at me. Any news on if he is planning on recording and possibly releasing it anytime soon?

Gret
Old 10-25-2004, 01:11 PM   #8
FlyingCrow
Eskimo Regular

Seems like a worldwide problem then - these 'yappers'.

"how my eyes lose to those noble hands"
FlyingCrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2004, 01:20 PM   #9
Gret
Eskimo Baby

I guess you find them everywhere.

But, hey I'm all for yapping away whiledrinking beer with my mates, but not when I'm trying to listen to a musician I admire at a gig I paid $50 to get into. To Damien's credit he started out with a fairly amiable 'Hey, if you wanna talk there's a bar downstairs.' He eventually got pretty pissed off, as you would.

Gret
Old 10-25-2004, 01:27 PM   #10
cille
creepycute

welcome ross, gret and ladyfuchsia - great to get more aussies here!

gret, last time i heard something the new album was to come out around february next year. but apparently you never really know with damo...[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]Edited by: cillecille
Old 10-25-2004, 01:31 PM   #11
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret

The main 'yappers' were right behind me and they were really pissing me off as well, a bunch of idiots more interested in downing jugs of beer than listening to good music.

[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]incredible!!!
Old 10-25-2004, 02:20 PM   #12
Jasper
Eskimo Baby

'tis a shame about the yappers - but what more would you expect at the Armadale? Most of the talkers were probably just the regular designer bogans withenough disposable income to pay to see a talented musician they have never heard of...
Old 10-26-2004, 05:10 AM   #13
Lady_Fuchsia5
Eskimo Baby

I went to the first melb gig, and fortunetely our audience was great no major yappers, just quiet sing-alongs and occasional yells of admiration. Though early on an over-enthusiastic fan was singing along quite loudly and out of tune, but thankfully he was asked to keep it down. Damien said Melbourne gave him the best vibe, and i hope that night didnt tarnish his good opinion of us.

Were there a lot of people in the Armadale audience who werent familiar with him? Our audience was pretty much just fans.
Old 10-26-2004, 07:24 PM   #14
Gret
Eskimo Baby

Most of the people at the Armadale seemed to be at least familiar with his music as they did sing along. But unfortunately I think Jasper may have a little insight into some of the crowd.
Old 10-28-2004, 03:58 AM   #15
Jasper
Eskimo Baby

My apologies for the pissed-off message re: Armadale regulars...no offence intended to anyone. I have only ever had bad experiences at that pub so am a little jaded and probably shouldn't generalise - I just get annoyedwhen people disrespect a soloist; it takes so much effort to get up there and spill your guts, probably even more so night after night in a foreign country.

Apologies again...
Old 10-28-2004, 05:04 PM   #16
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gret

Actually I was wanting to ask anyone who reads this something. There was one song that he played that kind of caught my attention. I hadn't heard it off the albums, and after looking through the posted lyrics I haven't been able to find anything, but I didn't recognise if it was a cover or not. Seeing as you guys seem to know your stuff I guess you're the best to ask. I remembered some lyrics, kind of sketchy (after all I've only heard it once):

"Do you brush your teeth before you kiss..."

"Does he drive you wild, or just mildly free..."

"We should really (stop this), before one of us makes accidental babies"

Can anyone help me out with a name or some more details???

Thanks

Gret

that song is called accidental babies and its pretty new, he played it for the very first time in dublin ireland at his free hmv gig(see my home page button when i met him there), and i was there, and would adore to hear it again!! I have 3 14 second clips of it on my phone!!!! But no it hasnt been released, and im not sure if it will to be hones, i am so earger to hear it again. pm me if u recorded they gig, and i could set up a "folder" to get the song and the nice taper person can upload it and i can erase it straight away....please and thank you

"is he dark enough, enough to drive you wild, or just mildly free, what about me??"
Old 10-29-2004, 08:34 AM   #17
Shazne
Eskimo Friend

I wanted to get a bootleg of it too after hearing him play it on the piano at the Metro *drool*

Mestonf told me:

"Accidental Babies is a song that is unreleased that Damo doesn't want people to hear so we are gonna respect his wishes and not put it on any bootlegs"

So there ya go!
Old 10-29-2004, 10:20 PM   #18
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

ah yes he only knows that bescause of the hmv ppl (me being one og them [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]) but as i said in my post i'l create a folder, and when i get it its automatically erased!! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
Old 10-31-2004, 01:57 AM   #19
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Pink

ah yes he only knows that bescause of the hmv ppl (me being one og them [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]) but as i said in my* post i'l create a folder, and when i get it its automatically erased!! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]
very true, got that info from the o so wonderful pinky!
Old 10-31-2004, 02:57 PM   #20
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

so mbleh [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 03:30 PM   #21
Bittersweet
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestonf
Quote:

ah yes he only knows that bescause of the hmv ppl (me being one og them [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]) but as i said in my post i'l create a folder, and when i get it its automatically erased!! [img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

very true, got that info from the o so wonderful pinky!

not really fair for the rest of us who i want hear it. unfortionately Damien and his music are public property. And if I get it, I'll share it amongst my mates and anyone else who wants it. However, I wouldn't put it in a briefcase for public accesss.
Bittersweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 07:51 PM   #22
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

surely you and your mates listening to it is still public access to the song?
Old 11-08-2004, 07:53 PM   #23
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

he played it for the very first time in dublin ireland at his free hmv gig(see my home page button when i met him there), and i was there, and would adore to hear it again!! I have 3 14 second clips of it on my phone!!!! But no it hasnt been released, and im not sure if it will to be honest, i am so earger to hear it again. pm me if u recorded they gig, and i could set up a "folder" to get the song and the nice taper person can upload it and i can erase it straight away....please and thank you

"is he dark enough, enough to drive you wild, or just mildly free, what about me??"
Old 11-08-2004, 10:42 PM   #24
Bittersweet
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestonf
surely you and your mates listening to it is still public access to the song?
Bittersweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 10:48 PM   #25
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

we are al friends here[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 11-08-2004, 10:57 PM   #26
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

well yeah i am just as eager to listen to it!