Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-01-2009, 05:04 PM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default What do other artists think about Damien?

Do we have quotes/videos of other artists about Damien???? Which fellow artists have expressed their love for Damien's music???

Well, just yesterday Tori Amos was doing a DJ guest session at a radio station in LA, and she did pick The Blower's Daughter. And before the song she mentioned something like...how she always seems to run into him wherever she is around the world...and that she loves him and even got to sing a duet with him called "The Power of Orange knickers" (she giggled like a lil girl) and introduced the song "Blower's Daughter"...

In a similar thingie for MTV, Alanis Morissette also picked The Blower's Daughter and talked very nicely about Damien:

http://www.mtvmusic.com/morissette_a...aughter_.jhtml

Who else?
I also remembered Glenn talking nicely about Damien (and Lisa too she's described as giving wings to Damien's music) at the Other Voices 02:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3K6emrtV-Q

And this guy Brendan Buckley, who drummed for part of the 9 tour, also has some nice words here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlQGM2X76I0
he starts talking about Damien at 5:00

Do we have more quotes/artists?????????????????????? He did that French TV thing with Ray Lamontagne and then the 7/7/7 thing with David Gray so I guess they're all mutual fans... but not sure if they said so specifically...

and I guess Britney attending one show doesn't make her a fan

(credit to Glo for the links!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)
Old 12-01-2009, 07:48 PM   #2
glo32
Eskimo Regular

I wonder why Damien and Alanis never did a collaboration together. They have to.

And I like that interview with Brendan Buckley, it seems he really enjoyed playing with Damien and I hope they'll tour together again in the future.

Oh and speaking of band members, here's what Joel Shearer said about touring with Damien in 2003-2004:
It has been great opening for Damien because he is so good at his art, it is like hanging out with a teacher who is unaware of how much he gives. His experiences and intuition - you absorb more than you even realize - and what a way to build your own experiences, being around such a good friend/artist/musician/human being/spirit...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 10:27 PM   #3
Lin@
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
And I like that interview with Brendan Buckley, it seems he really enjoyed playing with Damien and I hope they'll tour together again in the future.
I totally get what he's saying. Cause that's exactly what I love about Damien's live shows. And I thought Brendan fit into that group perfectly. Liked him even more than Tomo as a drummer.
Old 12-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
I wonder why Damien and Alanis never did a collaboration together. They have to.
EXACTLY!

Quote:
Oh and speaking of band members, here's what Joel Shearer said about touring with Damien in 2003-2004:
It has been great opening for Damien because he is so good at his art, it is like hanging out with a teacher who is unaware of how much he gives. His experiences and intuition - you absorb more than you even realize - and what a way to build your own experiences, being around such a good friend/artist/musician/human being/spirit...

i like this
thanks glo!
Old 12-02-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

wow, really liked what Joel said!!!!!!

sure there's more positive comments out there???
Old 12-04-2009, 10:37 AM   #6
cille
creepycute

Bono hates it when fashion people chat during Damien's performance. I think Bono *hearts* Damien.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:14 AM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^I had completely forgotten about the Bono love!!!

But now I went and found this news piece at NME.com, Bono clearly hearts our Damien

Damien Rice performs tiny show
He's introduced by Bono
September 18, 2006 | 0 Comments

Damien Rice performed for an audience of around 200 people in New York at the weekend (September 15) – and was introduced by Bono.

The star played a surprise show at the Hudson Hotel, watched by a supermodel-heavy crowd.

Introducing Rice, U2 frontman Bono said: “What you’re about to hear and see is like being at a Bob Dylan gig in the early Sixties or a Cat Stevens gig in the early Seventies or James Taylor, or something extraordinary.

Damien Rice is able to still and distil the storms into quiet reflection. He’s really a remarkable talent, I can’t quite believe that he’s here. I’m very humbled and very honoured and I would ask New York to give him the kind of welcome only New York, only Manhattan can, and then give him the silence he deserves because this is something very special.”

The fellow Irishmen were in New York to promote the ONE campaign to make poverty history,and the Edun clothing line owned by Bono, his wife Ali Hewson and designer Rogan Gregory.

Rice repeatedly demanded silence, and played just two songs for the crowd which included supermodels Helena Christensen and Christy Turlington, Ed Burns, James Iha and Heather Graham.
Old 12-04-2009, 08:38 PM   #8
ulguitarguy
Eskimo Friend

Cool Bono's a fan! Wouldnt have expected that one!!
Had some nice things to say about him aswell!

www.bobokeeffe.com
ulguitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 06:14 PM   #9
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

http://www.hotpress.com/Paolo%20Nuti...e/6188118.html
Old 07-12-2010, 01:22 PM   #10
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

more praise for Damien coming from Angus and Julia Stone:
(credit to Glo for finding this)
http://taratata.france2.fr/Pages/VID...g=iLyROoaf8cPT

then I remembered about that show in London a while ago called Little Noise Sessions, in which Adele was the headliner and opening for her were Damien and Angus & Julia, so I guess they know each other from there... and by chance, I found a blog by Adele where she also praises Damien:

For my little noise session at the union chapel on November 11th, Damien Rice will be a very special guest, I'm so chuffed I'm a huge fan! along with Angus and Julia Stone!!

more info here:
http://www.popsugar.co.uk/Review-Ade...r-2008-2473610
Old 07-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #11
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Was at Angus and Julia in Dublin tonight and Damien was in attendance.

They were fantastic.

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic

Last edited by Gatsby; 07-15-2010 at 01:40 AM.
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 01:39 PM   #12
cille
creepycute

^who shagged him???
Old 07-15-2010, 02:32 PM   #13
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Thumbs up

id say angus is definately more his type

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 02:44 PM   #14
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatsby View Post
Was at Angus and Julia in Dublin tonight and Damien was in attendance.
how cool is to see the little man at someone else´s gig! i´m trying to think what i would do if it ever happened to me, and my mind goes totally blank...
anyway, hi simon
Old 07-16-2010, 03:41 AM   #15
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
more praise for Damien coming from Angus and Julia Stone:
(credit to Glo for finding this)
http://taratata.france2.fr/Pages/VID...g=iLyROoaf8cPT

australian english sounds hard but funny to me
thanks for the link, i´ve not seen it before. well, i don´t remember what she said exactly and it´s not a surprise, since they were couple, but mia maestro also said nice things about damien. it was something like: damien rice es un músico irlandés increíble (dr is an incredible irish musician) among other things.
Old 07-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #16
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

just found this clip from some French TV, where Paolo Nutini does a bit of La Fille Danse off the Professor, not sure if I've heard it before or not

Old 08-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #17
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:

He's introduced by Bono
September 18, 2006 | 0 Comments

Damien Rice performed for an audience of around 200 people in New York at the weekend (September 15) – and was introduced by Bono.

The star played a surprise show at the Hudson Hotel, watched by a supermodel-heavy crowd.

Introducing Rice, U2 frontman Bono said: “What you’re about to hear and see is like being at a Bob Dylan gig in the early Sixties or a Cat Stevens gig in the early Seventies or James Taylor, or something extraordinary.

Rice repeatedly demanded silence, and played just two songs for the crowd which included supermodels Helena Christensen and Christy Turlington, Ed Burns, James Iha and Heather Graham.
Marti I am really not picking on you but....................

a) this is from 2006 lol
b) love how he had the hollywood bug even back in the day
c) love even more how he demanded silence.............lol
d) there is one big difference to the musicians sited...............they actually moved their musical careers FORWARD......................

ok now on to the 17th............well actually the 15th!! WOOOHOOO!!!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 AM   #18
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
Marti I am really not picking on you but....................

a) this is from 2006 lol
b) love how he had the hollywood bug even back in the day
c) love even more how he demanded silence.............lol
d) there is one big difference to the musicians sited...............they actually moved their musical careers FORWARD......................

ok now on to the 17th............well actually the 15th!! WOOOHOOO!!!
Here we go again with the 'career' talk...
Old 08-05-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

lol

as rai said however musicians are expected to produce music................not just hang out on the herb playing a randomn gig here and there

I am all for this lifestyle - and it is his chosing to lead the life he may obviously - but DO NOT take a quote from five years ago comparing him to Dylan (chortle chortle) when he has come absolutely nowhere close in the five years hence.........today's dylan btw in this space is - yup you guessed it! - mr gray!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 01:05 AM
rachlanee
This message has been deleted by rachlanee.
Old 01-31-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
verenita
... trusty and true ...

well, it´s not that revealing what kate hudson said, but i just got this by email and i found it hilarious. don´t know if this rumour was ever true though...

Rice Gained A Famous Fan After Hudson Romance
Quote:
Irish singer DAMIEN RICE gained a famous fan after he was romantically linked to KATE HUDSON in the press - the actress immediately bought his records to find out who she was rumoured to be dating.
[...]
The actress tells Britain's The Times, "I didn't know who he was, so when I heard that I was smooching him I looked him up online and now I love his music."

i love the pic they posted (so unrelated, by the way, lol!) and how "sloppy" (is this the right word?, like he is careless about his look) he is

Last edited by verenita; 01-31-2011 at 01:35 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 02:11 PM   #21
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
well, it´s not that revealing what kate hudson said, but i just got this by email and i found it hilarious. don´t know if this rumour was ever true though...

Rice Gained A Famous Fan After Hudson Romance

i love the pic they posted (so unrelated, by the way, lol!) and how "sloppy" (is this the right word?, like he is careless about his look) he is
I would have a really hard time being a well known actor or musician with the media around and everything they make up. They may have seen him with someone who looks like Kate, or vice versa and made up a story because it was a slow week for celebrity sleaze for their trash magazine. I wish Kate's film choices were as good as her taste in music!
btw-I love that picture also, 2 legends together!
Old 01-31-2011, 02:24 PM   #22
verenita
... trusty and true ...

^ that´s why i´m grateful... for having no talent at all. i know i could not live with all the ****, nor with everybody´s else expectations... he.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:54 PM   #23
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

is Kate Hudson the one that marries a different singer every 3 months?? maybe Damien was the only one left now SHE's with the vile Muse guy so her taste in music cannot be that good :-)

Last edited by borneoman; 01-31-2011 at 10:24 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 04:16 PM   #24
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
is Kate Hudson the one that marries a different singer every 3 months?? maybe Damien was the only one left now he's with the vile Muse guy so her taste in music cannot be that good :-)
I have no idea who she is with, just saying if she is a fan of Damien's music then her music taste is good. Her movies, not so much.
Old 01-31-2011, 05:48 PM   #25
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
^ that´s why i´m grateful... for having no talent at all. i know i could not live with all the ****, nor with everybody´s else expectations... he.
Vere,dont be that hard on yourself.You're a talented spanish teacher! I think being famous,on the spotlight would kill my spirit just like marriage does to me. I like attention,but the right kind of attention from the right people. I have been romantically linked to people that I wasn't even attracted to just because people would see me talking to them...horrible situation!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:15 PM   #26
cille
creepycute

Quote:
now he's with the vile Muse guy
Damien, always such a poor taste in men
Old 01-31-2011, 09:22 PM   #27
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
Damien, always such a poor taste in men
hahaha. I wonder how man internet rumors get started over a typo!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:58 PM   #28
cille
creepycute

Many a man internet rumour started like that for sure..

Oh stop me!
Old 01-31-2011, 10:25 PM   #29
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

ouch ouch edited
Old 02-17-2011, 02:38 PM   #30
lovefromchina
kidult

i just hope here is one chance to enjoy damien's live concert though it's impossible in my country,maybe i gotta go to ireland or europe