Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-06-2006, 06:22 PM   #1
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Default Meaning of O

Hey all,

before anyone says it, i know before i start that O is according to Damien the title of the album was something he thought sounded right for an album and has no ''deep meaning'' but i was just listening to the Juniper song 'Spaceship' which is Amie. One of the only changes in lyrics from Spaceship to Amie is the line ''Read me a story of love'' goes to ''read me the story of O''........ i know its stupid and isnt true really but it would be cool if the album had a secret alternate meaning - Love
Old 03-07-2006, 02:38 AM   #2
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFriend
Hey all,

before anyone says it, i know before i start that O is according to Damien the title of the album was something he thought sounded right for an album and has no ''deep meaning'' but i was just listening to the Juniper song 'Spaceship' which is Amie. One of the only changes in lyrics from Spaceship to Amie is the line ''Read me a story of love'' goes to ''read me the story of O''........ i know its stupid and isnt true really but it would be cool if the album had a secret alternate meaning - Love
Never knew it was a Juniper song. What does juniper sound like, and why did damien leave them?
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 03:08 PM   #3
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

juniper sounds like jupiter. (couldn't help it), they're like rockier funkier stuff than damo, but still similar, as many of his songs trancended the transition from juniper to bellx1 + damien rice.

he left because he wanted to be a free agent as it were. Rather than get dragged into the whole fame fortune and arrogance scenario.
Old 03-07-2006, 03:52 PM   #4
jasonAVO
Eskimo Regular

from what ive read in interviews...he left because people expected him to be something he wasnt. and he got tired of trying to please them. first they asked him to write one song that was more 'radiofriendly' saying 'just one'...then it was another.... he finally decided he would rather quit than deal with everyones expectations. he started out giving a little and they expected more.

http://davejeffery.com/Bellx1/Upload/

jason

the only thing i have to do is die
jasonAVO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 04:14 PM   #5
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenguinBoy
juniper sounds like jupiter.
teehee
cille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2006, 09:30 PM   #6
MacFriend
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonAVO
from what ive read in interviews...he left because people expected him to be something he wasnt. and he got tired of trying to please them. first they asked him to write one song that was more 'radiofriendly' saying 'just one'...then it was another.... he finally decided he would rather quit than deal with everyones expectations. he started out giving a little and they expected more.

Ya apparently thats all true (the ''they'' being the record company not juniper/bell x1 of course). I heard that the final straw was when Damien wanted Eskimo as their first single but the company wouldnt let him so he walked out. A bit ratty in some ways but they all came out better because of it! except the gimpy record people of course!
Old 03-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #7
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFriend
Hey all,

i've always thought the secret alternate meaning (i.e. underlying theme) of the album was Obsession
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #8
OrangeKnickers
Buttons For Eyes

have any of you ever read "The Story of O" by Pauline Reage? fascinating read. Dominance/Submission themes, SadoMasochism, etc... the book is both erotic and heartbreaking... (like damien's 'O', in a way).
read the book!!
OrangeKnickers is offline   Reply With Quote