Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 10-22-2006, 11:48 PM   #61
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

wow, i can see him so playing latin america... i mean, it would just fit (in my mind) like asia. for me all of that is so exotic... i'd love to see so many places myself... and as he has already toured america this summer, maybe he's moving more south-wards if there is another tour. i'd love to see him play continental europe though as well a bit... maybe vienna? or vlbg? then i could go home and see him there... wow... just the thought of it makes me sway (if i have the right word in my mind now and spelled it correctly)... but the one thing for me to be looking forward to is to hold that cd in my hand, put it into the stereo and listen to it. i can't wait for that to happen!
Old 10-23-2006, 12:49 AM   #62
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

This is great news!!!!! Thanks Valerie for this info, now I know to keep an eye out for these tickets. Glen maybe had the venue or dates wrong..he didn't even know what day it was last night...hehe!

Hopefully you'll get to go if they are here in December. Last nights show was great!!!...first time seeing Glen (and Marketa was great too)...I missed the frames opening for damo the last time...it was such a treat to be there and meet glen as well

YAY!, for finally meeting you too Valerie , I haven't uploaded the pic but will soon...not the best of me, but you look adorable!! I'm sure I'll see you around soon...

Last edited by Soleillily; 10-23-2006 at 12:53 AM.
Soleillily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:10 AM   #63
julia
Eskimo Yogi..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livo
that's just thick.. seriously, i mean i thought for a long time that damien was too big for his boots, but touring in america again is kind of a step too far.

hendrik mentioned about people demanding everything all the time, but i think the people and country of his home should get a little bit more respect than he shows us.

wow, so many things wrong with your statement. just wrong.

"There's something magical about music and the simple fact that it's a vibration of air. It's sort of magical if you vibrate the air in a certain way, people are pleased by it." Damien Rice
julia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:41 AM   #64
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleillily
This is great news!!!!! Thanks Valerie for this info, now I know to keep an eye out for these tickets. Glen maybe had the venue or dates wrong..he didn't even know what day it was last night...hehe!

Hopefully you'll get to go if they are here in December. Last nights show was great!!!...first time seeing Glen (and Marketa was great too)...I missed the frames opening for damo the last time...it was such a treat to be there and meet glen as well

YAY!, for finally meeting you too Valerie , I haven't uploaded the pic but will soon...not the best of me, but you look adorable!! I'm sure I'll see you around soon...
Yay for finally meeting you, too! Can't wait to see the pic. (If someone can PM me how to post pics, I'll go and post pics of me and Glen. I'm not techno-savvy.) You still have to take me shopping with you. I'm sure Glen was off with the dates or the venue...he mentioned to some other gals at the show (who are also going to U2 in Hawaii on the 9th) that it might actually be the 7th. I'm sure if there is a tour to announce, the announcement will come sometime around the release of the new album (so soon!).
Old 10-23-2006, 04:12 AM   #65
drumworkshop
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I suppose realistically it's up to him. People always seem to forget that behind the career there is a life to be lived there. The best reason to be a musician is to travel, and actually do something adventurous with your life. If people can't actually support the idea of him and the band going places like Singapore, Burma, Brazil, Iceland and the US just for the sake of doing it, then the question is; are these people just a cd to you?
Very well said
drumworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 04:48 AM   #66
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
I suppose realistically it's up to him. People always seem to forget that behind the career there is a life to be lived there. The best reason to be a musician is to travel, and actually do something adventurous with your life. If people can't actually support the idea of him and the band going places like Singapore, Burma, Brazil, Iceland and the US just for the sake of doing it, then the question is; are these people just a cd to you?
I half agree with you there - he should definitely take the opportunity to travel, to see exotic places and take his music there with him. But, even though it's up to him - it doesn't really make sense to go to a location that's fairly untouched by his music, if it means missing ones are touched by it.

E.g. he could want to see Canada's praries, but it really doesn't make sense to go there and skip Toronto, because he's got a huge fan base here, and there's more of a culture for his music (not to say that people in Saskatoon can't/don't listen to him, but just that I'd bet a million bucks there are way more who would be more receptive to/appreciative of him in Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver).
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:53 PM   #67
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Unhappy stressed

Already stressed about getting tickets. Crazy right?
dylanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 02:54 PM   #68
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by srahman24
I half agree with you there - he should definitely take the opportunity to travel, to see exotic places and take his music there with him. But, even though it's up to him - it doesn't really make sense to go to a location that's fairly untouched by his music, if it means missing ones are touched by it.

E.g. he could want to see Canada's praries, but it really doesn't make sense to go there and skip Toronto, because he's got a huge fan base here, and there's more of a culture for his music (not to say that people in Saskatoon can't/don't listen to him, but just that I'd bet a million bucks there are way more who would be more receptive to/appreciative of him in Toronto or Montreal or Vancouver).
Oh absolutely, no-one was more glad then I was to have seen him play six times in Ireland at the start of September. After that though, I've got my fill for the time being, I'd probably go again. It just takes time to build up excitement y'know. Anyway, there is something valuable in their philosophy of going to a place, playing, taking a few days off to look around, going somewhere else, taking a few days off... and so on. It's probably why they were able to stay so interested in touring O. They've toured a lot of major places though, so most people have gotten a chance to see them at some stage, even if it was three years ago. I guess the key to successfully sustaining an interest in it is some level of balance.
Old 10-23-2006, 04:45 PM   #69
droovin
A Hoi-Hoi

the main reason i hope he'll do a UK tour is that i have yet to see him live. any chance i had before, i just haven't been able to for whatever reason. which has sucked. i just hope that he does do a UK tour

i can see why he'd do a big tour of America, Canada, etc, because there are so much more people available for him to share his music with

Damien is going to be so much more popular than he already is, that is inevitable. and with all previous cases, there will be more idiots "claiming" that they're huge fans and generally just being annoying. the damn bandwagon passengers!

sorry. bit off topic there, but it's just annoying when you get the type of people who hear like one song off a new album and then try telling you all about that particular artist. as i'm sure many people on here have experienced!

My Band

My Usual Hangout
droovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:09 PM   #70
anastornella
God bless Damien

I hope Damien tours in Italy...
anastornella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 07:11 PM   #71
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I don't expect a big tour... he may well do a few shows here and there when the urge strikes, but I don't expect anything systematic.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:10 PM   #72
ZachC
Eskimo Regular

i hope damien tours the world to make us all happy

Visit me and my band at www.myspace.com/zcraftmusic
ZachC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:14 PM   #73
eamo_rice
meh

I actually thought the EP headline gig was pretty good, although certainly not as good as the second Vicar St night, but better than the first night. But i was up the front and the atmosphere was generally good where i was. and i could hear people singing during Eskimo and Volcano, but thats almost to be expected nowadays, especially at a big gig like that. Loved the Big Tree jam, was hoping he'd come out with the Frames on the Sunday night, and raging I missed the Dublin Gospel Choir set.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 12:43 AM   #74
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
I don't expect a big tour... he may well do a few shows here and there when the urge strikes, but I don't expect anything systematic.
I expect that the December thing will be a small thing - like 2 weeks - and then a bigger tour in January-February or something. That's just my guess.
Old 10-24-2006, 01:43 AM   #75
OrangeKnickers
Buttons For Eyes

Glen told me the same thing in LA (i was with valerie)

just sayin...
OrangeKnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 01:35 PM   #76
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Default In case y'all haven't heard

Damien will be in LA on November 13th SO excited Not sure if Glen will be with him. Looks like just a teeny tiny little promotional tour thing...
Old 10-24-2006, 01:38 PM   #77
administrator
forum administrator

glad you get to see damien as well, and not miss the U2 / Pearl Jam concert of the year

administrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:51 PM   #78
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Thanks! I hope I can get tickets.

By the way, the name of the venue is the El Rey http://www.theelrey.com/
Old 10-24-2006, 04:08 PM   #79
administrator
forum administrator

yeah, we had it up on the news page this morning read the news page people!!!

Old 10-24-2006, 04:12 PM   #80
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Default New York Show

Any word as to when tickets will be made available? it is a very small venue...please help your fellow eskimo!!!!!
Old 10-24-2006, 04:55 PM   #81
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
yeah, we had it up on the news page this morning read the news page people!!!
yes, but it was spelled wrong

And Hiro in NYC is a really random place for Damien to be playing - it's on 9th Ave in Chelsea and is usually a dance club...can't see Damien playing there. Wonder if it's some other place called Hiro...
Old 10-24-2006, 05:06 PM   #82
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

But there is nothing on the El Rey website, no Damien no concert for the 13th... also nothing on Ticketmaster...

I want to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:14 PM   #83
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl

And Hiro in NYC is a really random place for Damien to be playing - it's on 9th Ave in Chelsea and is usually a dance club...can't see Damien playing there. Wonder if it's some other place called Hiro...
It is THAT Hiro - great space to see a show... though I think tickets might be somewhat difficult, but hopefully not impossible....

Can't wait!
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 05:29 PM   #84
damosmymuse
Eskimo painter

ahhh tis the time to call in all of my favors tto nbc and the el rey

what great news!!!!

to see him...and only have to wait 3 weeks
damosmymuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 06:50 PM   #85
administrator
forum administrator

oops... sorry for misspelling el rey...

Old 10-24-2006, 07:04 PM   #86
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

Oh man, I'm SO excited!!!!! I'm gonna try to go to both, Jay Leno (i went last time & it was just awesome) & The El Rey!! YAY!! Thanks for this news!
Old 10-24-2006, 08:08 PM   #87
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Looks like the only way to get advance tickets for the El Rey is via Ticketmaster isn't it?
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:17 PM   #88
Pamiam
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlttrGrrl

Hiro is about the size of a postage stamp..It should be fun!! P~
Pamiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:21 PM   #89
dylanfan
Eskimo Regular

Default Hiro

Is where Ray LaMontagne recently played to test his new material live. Holds maybe 300 people? Since then Ray has annonced a show at the Beacon. My guess is that this is a warmup show for additional shows at the beacon or maybe radio city to follow. This will be the show to see...If anyone hears of tickets going on sale please email me at dylanfan17@yahoo.com. Thanks.
Old 10-24-2006, 08:37 PM   #90
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

i saw ben harper play the el rey in february. it was incredible. the venue is like an old movie theater... it's that small. i just need to get one ticket. :-/
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote