Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 06-20-2004, 01:22 PM   #1
Diarmo
Eskimo Regular

When Bush Comes To Shove...- by Donsie B and Diarmo

Whoo! First Damien gig! We (me, Donsie B and our parents!) arrived at 7 only to find we had no seats as Vicar Street was packed…..our parents wanted to go home but we persuaded them to stay!
Gary Moore
We arrived just as Gary Moore was finishing off his last song so heard about a minute of him……but it was a good song to he gets a high mark! We knew very little about him although apparently he’s been about since the days of Phil Lynot! 7/10

In between Gary Moore and Kathel Keinig was the 1st speaker: an Iraqi condemned to death who spoke of what it is like to suffer torture. He got through to the crowd very well and got over the fact that he was obviously a very nervous speaker. It was very hard-hitting and explained exactly what it is like to suffer that level of cruelty.

Kathel Keineg
We knew very little about Kathel Keinig other than the fact that she was supposedly very good (according to her website!). She only played 3 songs: all good but her final one was definitely the best, twas called “Shaking the Disease”….was disappointed that she didn’t play longer but may have convinced me to buy her cd! 8/10

Barry Murphy
Next on was the comedian Barry Murphy of “Après-match”. He got George Bush (or so he claimed) on the drums and Richard Boyd Barrett to read out dates while he read out some of Bush’s best quotes! Two stuck in my mind:
(1) We have to ask ourselves: Is our children learning?
(2) There are Iraqis who want to live in a free world. And when we find them we shall bring them to justice.
He was funny…but would end up swearing at him later on the night! 7/10

Mary Black
Next was Mary Black and the truth is that she didn’t look that much fun. We were wrong. She mainly took other people’s music. She did a poem by William Blake called poison tree before doing her own song “Heaven in your eyes” and a song about apathy for all those too lazy to come to the gig called “Don’t say: OKAY!” Next she did a song called “Craw on the Cradle” before ending with “Message of love” which in the end turned into “All you need is love” by the Beatles. In all and all Mary Black was very enjoyable when she was doing other peoples’ material and wasn’t that bad when she was doing her own stuff as well. 8/10.

Christy Moore (w/ Hubert)
Up went a gigantic roar as the host says that next we have: CHRISTY MOORE! Everyone was chanting his name and the second biggest cheer of the night came up when he came on! He began with a Native American song saying that he was NOT anti-American. Then he explained to the crowd about how he learned this next song which he and an American had made up called “Irish Ways And Irish Laws” which when the American went home, turned into “Indian Way’s And Indian Laws”. At the end of this song he was playing the bohran so hard and so fast that smoke was coming out of it! His next song was quite a long one about children. It was called “Hiroshima, Nickasaki, Russian Roulette” which was brilliant. Then he told the crowd that when he was doing a radio show with RTE and he heard this excellent band in the backround. They were called Hubert (possibly Hubert something we didn’t hear it properly!). They played two songs called “Close Your Mind” and “One Box Free To Choose”. Both songs were excellent and we both think that Christy Moore was right. To finish off Christy did a song called “The Jackson Browne Song” which was a perfect way for him to finish. 9/10!

Kila
Hey diddle-eye! Kila were great fun (all 8 of them!). They had bohran players, violinists, guitarists etc! Firstly they played a 10-12 minute Irish number, which had the crows jigging, then a song “Sean Bodain ” (for you non-Gaelic speakers it means Old Tears, for you Gaelic speakers…I’m perfectly aware how misspelled it is!) Before their best song: “I see YOU mister president” which was a..... Bizarre kinda rap/traditional Irish music song with a nit of Irish dancing too! They finished off with another big Irish number, which was quite similar to the first but was enjoyable none the less! Kila also said to phone the American Embassy @ 01-668877 to say that you as an Irish citizen do not want George Bush in your country. 8.5/10

Before the next act there was a Palestinian speaker who demanded freedom, peace and equality. He got a great reaction from the crowd!

Barry Murphy
The PA announced that Paul Durkin was coming on to read a poem, which instantly delighted me, as he is a very good friend of my fathers. However it was just Barry Murphy taking the piss to large chorus’s of “F##k off, you f##king wan##r!” from the Bolger family! I refuse to write the rubbish he spouted, as it seemed a tad hypocritical to have some Palestine speaker on before hand that was speaking about freedom and then to make fun of Paul who has done huge work against war and receives death threats on a daily basis from the IRA and has to constantly change his phone number.
Barry Murphy: please F##k off! Sorry to all you Barry fans: just had to get that off my chest! –1/10!

The Revs
Ah the Revs…I had heard so much about them: the country seems divided on whether they are the next big things or they are crap!……..I actually kinda enjoyed them, as they seemed to be good fun! “The Disco is over- the DJ’s been murdered” was mad as people actually started to jump up and down! They played “A-Bomb” for their friend George W. (the W’s for Wan##r they say) and……gave our parents a headache! Seeing as my dad was already pretty pissed off bout the Paul Durkan impersonation it probably didn’t improve his mood! To Finish off they all drummed and paused every few seconds to cries of “HEY!!” before flinging their drumsticks into the crowd! They played for a mere 20 mins and played about 5 songs or so…..a long 20 minutes according to our mother!….the guitarist was dressed as some kind of ghost/Arab/thing! Overall….will have to look into them a bit more before I buy the cd! 7/10!

Mundy
Mundy was meant to be performing at Vicar Street on the 19th of June but instead he let Vicar Street be the hosts of When Bush Comes To Shove and he played at it! He began off with a song he had made up for the occasion called: “Why do we always fight when there’s nothing else to do?!” which was a roaring success. Then he played “Mayday” (which is off his second album 24 Star Hotel) and “Raining Down Arrows” (off third and latest album also called Raining Down Arrows) before giving the crowd the song that they all wanted “July” (being fans of David Kitt we noticed how he finished this song wit the words “and there’s one more hour in my day but that’s ok- from Song for Hope Street, Brooklyn New York off the Big Romance”). Then he finished off with the song that the girl up the front had been screaming for “Gin and Tonic Sky” which we feel he really enjoyed playing! Everyone went mad dancing to this song! July was the best song as it even had my Mam and Dad up dancing! He was brilliant and would get 9/10!

Before Damien came on an American woman with a seriously squeaky high-pitched voice came on and said a few words about how over 50% of Americans now know that their President is a fraud.

Damien Rice
The PA announced that the man who you’ve all been waiting for is here: DAMIEN RICE! Crowd went fairly mental as Damo, Lisa, Tomo and Shane took to the stage!

The First song Damien played was “Black is the colour” which was good although we didn’t now who sang it (probably a LITTLE bit before our time!).

The first song that we recognised was Delicate. The best part of this song was at the end when Damien went pretty crazy screaming “why’d you fill my SORROWS, WITH THE WORDS YOU BORROWED?!”!

Ah Volcano! We heard it live on a free CD a while ago and its just as we imagined (with the crowd firmly behind Lisa!). Storytellin’ Damo was in full swing telling us that this song was about when you do something to someone and only realise what you’ve done until its done tom you in return and you just go “F##k….I shouldn’t have done that!”

The next song that Damo and Co played was Amie. Damien explained that he had been down and went to visit a friend. She gave him her bed and he layed there in the dark looking at the sky when he saw a shooting star and for a second he was happy. The next morning sitting at his friend’s table he made this song called Amie!

I Remember was excellent….so two-sided! It began with the first two verse’s being sung sweetly by Lisa, before Damien exploded screaming how he “don’t care if you gonna live without me!”. It went on for about 8 minutes or so with the place going pitch dark before a single spotlight flying around the crowd!

Once again Damo explained the meaning of this song. He was in the bathtub and he put his head under the water when he couldn’t breath he kept his head under for five more seconds. When he took his head out he thought to himself how lucky he was to be alive. With that he wrote the next song: Cold Water, which turned in the end into Hallelujah by Leonard Cohen

Then came the song! Lonely Soldier by Damien Rice and Christy Moore feat: Lisa Hannigan, Shane Fitzsimons and Tomo which was the best song of the evening by far. The song will be out in shops on the 25th of June!

Damo’s rating is (drum roll please) 10/10!

When Bush Comes To Shove Rating 9/10!

Hope u Eskimos enjoyed are review!
Old 06-20-2004, 01:29 PM   #2
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

sounds marvellous guys cheers for that!!!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 01:45 PM   #3
cille
creepycute

thanks for your thorough review - and congrats on your first damo gig![img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2004, 01:47 PM   #4
marloes
Eskimo Regular

Cheers guys, sounds like you had the time of your life last night! Cool parents to take you to your first gig [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img] Edited by: marloes
marloes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:23 PM   #5
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

God bless them!
4 drinks down and i just don't care,
5 in the morning,
6 stories up looking down,
7 still fighting,
8 times around but this time i wont drown!

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Donsie B! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
marloes
Eskimo Regular

My parents would never ever never ever never ever never ever have done something like that for me when I was your age, so better be nice to them Donsie [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2004, 02:27 PM   #7
cille
creepycute

ah, i guess i was lucky too. i remember them going to a rock festival with me when i was about 14. bless'em too. of course, they were also into rock music themselves, so they quite enjoyed it...
Old 06-20-2004, 02:28 PM   #8
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

my mam had 2 b carried 2 d car by the end and my dad was arguing with
an organiser bout him slagging paul durkan!...if i is good they'll let
em and diarmo go 2 white stripes!
5 in the morning,
7 still fighting,

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Old 06-20-2004, 02:34 PM   #9
marloes
Eskimo Regular

Better be good then you 2, The White Stripes are defo worth it!
I had to lie to go to my first concert and I was already 17 [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] When/ if (big if actually) I get kids I'll let them go to any concert they want to. I think it's so cool that you and Diarmo are into this kinda music at your age and not listen to braindead chart music.
Old 06-20-2004, 02:37 PM   #10
cille
creepycute

yeah! kudos for that[img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #11
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

yeah i try to get my cousins (11 and 13) to listen to music like this but they like S Club (7, 8, Juniors???) and Busted and crappy stuff like that!![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 03:10 PM   #12
Lemonhead
Eskimo Regular

cool, aaw i love mundy so damn much...i'd have loved to be there (my parents wouldnt let me, while we're on the topic...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]) thanks for the review!![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

my friends 10 yearold brother loves bob dylan and the sex-pistols, how cool is that?![img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]and he picked the chilli peppers over busted! groovin'!
Old 06-20-2004, 03:14 PM   #13
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Thanks for the review guys! [img]smileys/smiley32.gif[/img]

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:28 PM   #14
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemonhead

cool, aaw i love mundy so damn much...i

Mundy's great have all his albums!

5 in the morning,
7 still fighting,

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Old 06-20-2004, 04:32 PM   #15
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

great review there donsie and diarmo!! Seeing your first gig is an experience you won't forget!
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 04:34 PM   #16
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

great review guys
Old 06-20-2004, 04:36 PM   #17
Donsie B!
Eskimo Charmer

*bows sweepishly*
5 in the morning,
7 still fighting,

Nightrocker- The Chalets
Old 06-20-2004, 05:06 PM   #18
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

What!!Kila only got 5/10???They rock!Way better than the revs,cant believe that!
Old 06-20-2004, 05:25 PM   #19
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Great review - thanks! Sounds like quite a day!
Old 06-20-2004, 06:36 PM   #20
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

probably going tonight myself so ill post a little review as well[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 06:44 PM   #21
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Fantastic review!! Thanks Diarmo and Donsie!!

Yay, Simon!! You're going?! Damo and The Chapters.... can't be missed!!
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2004, 07:58 PM   #22
ali*
eskimo drama queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diarmo
Mary Black
She did a poem by William Blake called poison tree

nice poem:

I was angry with my friend:
I told my wrath, my wrath did end.
I was angry with my foe;
I told it not, my wrath did grow.

And I water'd it in fears,
Night & morning with my tears;
And I sunned it with my smiles
And with soft deceitful wiles.

And it grew both day and night,
Till it bore an apple bright;
And my foe beheld it shine,
And he knew that it was mine,

And into my garden stole
When the night had veil'd the pole:
In the morning glad I see
My foe outstretch'd beneath the treeEdited by: ali*
Old 06-20-2004, 08:09 PM   #23
Diarmo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionna
What!!Kila only got 5/10???They rock!Way better than the revs,cant believe that!
No no no. Kila got 8.5/10 as in eight and a half! They were the best thing ever! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2004, 09:02 PM   #24
indigoangel
Eskimo Regular

hey thanks for the review! [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] sounds like an excellent gig, you lucky to have been there.

i love storytelling-damo, he never gives the same explination twice for any one song. . . [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 06-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #25
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

i really enjoyed reading this review, you almost took me there[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]. Thanks[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img].
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2004, 04:18 AM   #26
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

well story telling damo was "tired" tonight so he didnt give any stories...

not a bad gig... actually went for the chapters and ended up missing them as their slot got moved as katell keing kicked up a fuss about being on too early... she wasnt bad some nice songs... then the walls we very good but very ordinary... some american band played after from texas and i had to walk out and have a smoke they were terrible!! then on came damo and opened with lonely soldier, tongue which was brilliant bar using that bloody distortion mic! then broke into woman like a man which was very energetic and good to see from mr.rice. then blowers daughter, cannonball, older chests (with zoe conway) who played a piece on her own which was mind blowing. then onto kila... absolute mad bastards... very traditional irish music (and sang in irish) they got the place going but i noticed quite a few people leave once damien was finished... after a while theres only so much kila you can take[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]they finished off with inviting half of vicar street up on stage

all in all not a bad night... maybe not worth the 30 yo but i suppose its charity which cant be too bad
Old 06-21-2004, 08:31 AM   #27
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

yeah, i was there too. was quite disappointed actually. Damo only played for about 35mins and that sh*t american band played for ages.... grrr [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]!

I really felt like damo's set was rushed (heard that he had to catch a plane). Most worrying tho was Lisa's voice. After her recent dodgy vocals on the Lonely Soldier single, I was a bit worried about her. She definitely wasn't on top form last night either. I think she just tries to sing Lonely Soldier too low, but apart from that her voice has changed, it's lost some of it's edge ... think it's time to give up the cigarrettes Lisa. Don't get me wrong, she wasn't terrible or anything, it was just like Lisa's school report saying

"Singing: Mr & Mrs Hannigan, Lisa could do better".
Old 06-21-2004, 09:17 AM   #28
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

yeah i do agree... on the single i feel she doesnt give herself any justice and was kinda hoping live she would sing it different but alas it was probably worse... its such a catchy song tho (stuck in my head since)

did you get there to catch the chapters? they said they were happy enough but had to change their set half way due to some mess ups...
Old 06-21-2004, 09:29 AM   #29
Banjaxed
Eskimo Regular

I just caught about 2 songs from the chapters. I didn't know who they were when i got there, but I thought they were good. i'll be listening out to hear more of them.

Went the the Phantom party in The Village afterwards where they were most upset that their "very special guest" didn't show up. The announcer said

"Obviously we have been let down tonight, apparently war is baaaaad"

Old 06-21-2004, 09:32 AM   #30
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

did you also see the idiot standing up during one of the speeches shouting "what about 9/11?" i really felt like throwing something at him

they really could have gotten a few more decent acts to play at it tho. that american band were one of the worst live acts ive ever had to endure.