Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 11-15-2014, 04:09 AM   #31
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluebeagle View Post
Anyone waiting around to meet him after the show?
We're out by the stage door but there aren't a while lot of other people. Gonna stick it out a little bit and see?

Edit: there's maybe a dozen folks out here!

Last edited by mandarific; 11-15-2014 at 04:27 AM.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:34 AM   #32
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Interesting...he didn't play The Greatest Bastard. Looks like a great setlist though.
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #33
soChildish
Eskimo Baby

Short video I took of the end of Volcano (which closed the end of the main set):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHluey-KrUY
soChildish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 05:41 AM   #34
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Longer notes later as we're currently on the way home, but he did say he'd be back in April / touring "before summer" and I got a hug Great show, back soon to review.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:03 AM   #35
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

And. I'm hammered.
Fücking. Great show.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:04 AM   #36
soChildish
Eskimo Baby

Heres some crappy recordings I took on my camera. I was in the front row so I tried not to take pictures/audio as much as possible. Hoping someone recorded the whole show. Totally amazing. I seriously dont know if I've ever heard anyone sing with so much passion before.

Accidental Babies "Outro" (clip) (I think this is a cover?)
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/52035492/file.html

Amie "Outro" (clip) (Google says it's a song called "Sex Change"?)
http://www14.zippyshare.com/v/95891645/file.html

The Bottom Shelf (full)
http://www37.zippyshare.com/v/38573676/file.html
Old 11-15-2014, 06:33 AM   #37
InspirationDestination
Eskimo Regular

So excited that you got Bottom Shelf and Sex Change! I haven't listened to them in such a long time. The Accidental Babies Outro is a bit of the Truth is not Enough, I think. Thank you for sharing!

Looking forward to more reviews and videos! Can't wait for the hug story! Spring tour- woo hoo!
InspirationDestination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:35 AM   #38
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Love the pics! And YAY about the hug AND the upcoming shows in the spring!
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:50 AM   #39
tessalasset
Eskimo Regular

Ooooh so he didn't end up playing It Takes A Lot...?

That set list looks rad. I'm SO excited for my brother to see him tomorrow. He's going to be blown away and he doesn't even know it.
tessalasset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 06:58 AM   #40
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Okay, we're officially out of the city so I can take the time to type since I don't have to help navigate The show was AMAZING, completely blew me out of the water. The boyfriend and I both agreed we didn't miss the piano one bit even if it would have been nice.

In no particular order:

- He opened with the professor, which is one of our favorites, and you could tell right away he was in much better form than the last show! Held out that last note way longer than I ever think I've heard him sing it (in recordings from other shows, anyway, this was my first time seeing him live.)

- He played colour me in at some point and that just melted me. I am completely in love with that song.

- Bf and I were thrilled to hear coconut skins as it doesn't seem to come up live often that I've noticed and it's one of the songs we really shared, for lack of a better word, when we first started dating

- I always thought I wouldn't miss the "big" songs live (and I admit I was glad we didn't "waste" time on cannonball, though I do like that one) but blowers daughter had me nearly in tears. Boyfriend said: "that was the moment it really hit me like holy **** we're seeing damien rice!!"

- was so surprised by bottom shelf!! And sex change!!! AAAAHHHH!

- trusty and true might be my fav off the new album and was no less magical live. I got a full recording of it and the talk before it, will upload when I get home on wifi to not waste our data plan lol

No proper merch, just cds. Got a non-deluxe copy to keep in the car.

Stage door was... Weird. Very different than I've encountered before, largely I think because there was no line set up or anything, just a cluster of people... Most of whom seemed to have no idea that he didn't do autographs or photos, so when he did come out there was some awkward like... People sharing expectantly and him being like sooooo

Still, we all got to stand around and chat, one couple in particular talked a lot about God knows what, I chatted with him briefly about how Glen was coming back to play in Milwaukee in February. When his manager(?) looked ready to shuffle him off, a few people got handshakes and then I asked if I could give him a hug and he said if course

It was about 20 degrees outside so I don't blame him for wanting to get on his way, but every time I see an artist at the stage door I find myself wishing some people were more respectful for one reason or another. (Though I was super relieved no one asked about Lisa... Was kind of waiting for that to be honest)

I REALLY wanted to ask him wtf happened to mustard seed, but Mr and Mrs talkative made it difficult to interject so I tried to just stand around awkwardly and be polite

Also after the show someone did ask if he preferred beer or wine... Wine it is!

That's everything that comes to mind for now....I'm sure there will be something else along the line. Will link trusty video when it's up, looks like it recorded mostly not awfully
Old 11-15-2014, 08:27 AM   #41
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

SoChildish, the one after AB is the newie he did in London, Truth is not Enough could be the title... nice he´s playing it regularly now

the one after Amie is Sex Change, he does it like that every now and then

Toffee Pop soundchecked... but Bottom Shelf played? That´s crazy!!

pity he sound checked It Takes a Lot but didn´t play it but I guess it´s coming soon too

Last edited by borneoman; 11-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:39 AM   #42
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

but the new song was only a snippet or the full thing?

Last edited by borneoman; 11-15-2014 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 11:07 AM   #43
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

gosh I haven't listened to Bottom Shelf in ages
thanks for the pics/audio/video/reviews as always
Old 11-15-2014, 12:03 PM   #44
Ka8
Eskimo Baby

Bottom Shelf?! OMG! I can't believe it!

Last edited by Ka8; 11-15-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Ka8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 12:22 PM   #45
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

must been a while since he´s done Bottom Shelf? Think I heard it during the 9 tour but cannot remember where! Same for Toffee Pop...

it´s on YT

Last edited by borneoman; 11-15-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 11-15-2014, 12:42 PM   #46
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

thanks Marti for the link. first time i am hearing this song, thanks for putting up on YT.
Old 11-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #47
dawno
just mildly free

Great pix sochildish, and very happy for you mandarific! Glad everyone had such a great time!
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #48
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Bottom Shelf I also hadn't heard in AGES. Was not expecting it at all, most of the songs I love I cheered at the beginning with everyone else, that one I just like gasped and went omg!

Trusty and True vid is uploaded! Quality seems okay. Sorry for any noise from moving my phone around, turns out holding it up for ten minutes while trying to enjoy the song kind of sucks!

Old 11-15-2014, 02:54 PM   #49
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks for sharing! very happy for you all

those old songs... priceless! love toffee pop...
Old 11-15-2014, 03:01 PM   #50
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
Just picked up the tickets. Damo was doing sound check I got to hear takes a lot to know a man, the box, toffee pop, elephant and volcano.
what a compensation! more than diserved
Old 11-15-2014, 06:20 PM   #51
soChildish
Eskimo Baby

Some more notes off the top of my head; I dont listen to boots often so some of this might be 'standard'

The Professor/Delicate/9 Crimes
--These three performances were insane. Such intensity and he was really singing the heck out of all of them. He thanked the audience for 'coming back' and mentioned that a friend asked about the Chicago cold weather and he told them he was just happy to be 'well'

My Favourite Faded Fantasy
--He sang about 2/3's of it in his normal register before flipping into his falsetto which made the song a lot more interesting and powerful. The ending with the lighting and samples were crazy.

Coconut Skins
--He talked about how this song was about slowing down from the craziness of life.

Accidental Babies / Truth Is Not Enough
--This was a request from someone in the audience. (Someone also yelled out Prague). I do enjoy Accidental Babies a lot, but in a live setting, it gets to be really long and would have preferred Prague, haha. I didn't recognize the outro song, but it was pretty short, maybe just 20 seconds or so.

Amie / Sex Change
--Before he started Amie, he mumbled something like "yeah I guess I need to do something from 'O'" and someone yelled "Cannonball" and he sort of rolled his eyes and was like "yeah, that one" haha. I didn't recognize Sex Change either, but it was a pretty intense performance. He sang into his the sound hole of his guitar and as he sang it, he more and more hunched over and lower to the ground.

I Remember
--One of my top 3 favorites. Sorta feel like it got the biggest cheers of the night, but I might just be projecting, haha.

Volcano
--He got the audience split up and into it and was a great way to end the main set.

Trusty & True
--Sorta thought he was gonna end with Blowers Daughter/Toffee Pop. So knowing that T&T was the last song and realizing what song it was, sorta bummed me out for a second because I am really into Toffee Pop right now. But of course by the middle of this performance he sucked me back in and got the audience singing again. Very cool to see him command the crowd and it did feel like the "bonfire" he talked about before this song.

Amazing show. Can't wait to see him again. Glad that the audience was a little better about the flash photos and overall, pretty quiet and respectful.
Old 11-15-2014, 06:26 PM   #52
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by soChildish View Post
Accidental Babies / Truth Is Not Enough
--This was a request from someone in the audience. (Someone also yelled out Prague). I do enjoy Accidental Babies a lot, but in a live setting, it gets to be really long and would have preferred Prague, haha. I didn't recognize the outro song, but it was pretty short, maybe just 20 seconds or so.
There's a few live recordings of accidental babies on the piano that get to be like ten minutes long and absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I was a little surprised he played this on the guitar in the first place, but I loved hearing it. It's one of those songs that's a favorite of mine but I never really remember it until it comes up?

EDIT while I'm here and before I forget to mention it:

Toward the beginning of the show I commented to my boyfriend that I really really wanted to hear Woman Like a Man -- I know he plays that one a lot but it's a favorite of mine and I really wanted to hear it live and in person. When he did play it I was absolutely blown away. Everything I could have hoped for.
Old 11-15-2014, 08:26 PM   #53
madhat181
Uber Fan

How long did you guys have to wait after the show?
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2014, 08:30 PM   #54
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

I want to say about 30 minutes? The show ended right around 10 and we waited awhile, then talked awhile, and still made it back to our car before the parking ran out at 11.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:29 PM   #55
soChildish
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarific View Post
There's a few live recordings of accidental babies on the piano that get to be like ten minutes long and absolutely BEAUTIFUL. I was a little surprised he played this on the guitar in the first place, but I loved hearing it. It's one of those songs that's a favorite of mine but I never really remember it until it comes up?
No it's definitely a favorite of mine too, don't get me wrong. I dont think I really even enjoyed it that much UNTIL I learned how to play it on the piano. But with that said, there is something about it live that doesnt particularly grip me. I think maybe it's because the way it's written, the song's tempo is so loose and changes depending on how you come in and out of the melody line which makes it really fun to play, but for listening, it's sort of like you're always early/late to the next line.

In truth, he played my top 5 favorite songs off "9" which is really cool.
Old 11-16-2014, 01:00 AM   #56
schuylerjoy
Eskimo Baby

Hi all...I got a lot of video last night, if you are interested.

It's not the best, because I was up in the balcony, but not the worst and the sound is not bad.

I also had a few battery issues in the middle so missed some I would have liked.

This playlist has the Oct/Nov shows combined.

I have to say I loved Colour Me In... I love it when there's a song on an album that really comes alive when I see it live. I don't know what it was about it, but it sucked me in!

Also, it was lovely chatting with him for a few minutes after. He looked really good and just sort of peaceful, I thought.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...qXXE52tEObsHat
schuylerjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 07:46 AM   #57
damien lisa
am i breaking u

longest "tite" of "De la petite". About 30s, other time he did is about 20-24s
Old 11-16-2014, 12:51 PM   #58
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Accidental Babies/Truth is Not Enough

the latter sounds a bit off key in comparison with the London version
Old 11-16-2014, 01:41 PM   #59
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

thanks! this version makes me feel he is playing piano on his guitar, beautifully. such a painful song, love it being blended into the new song.
Old 11-16-2014, 02:04 PM   #60
Chrysler
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schuylerjoy View Post
Hi all...I got a lot of video last night, if you are interested.

It's not the best, because I was up in the balcony, but not the worst and the sound is not bad.

I also had a few battery issues in the middle so missed some I would have liked.

This playlist has the Oct/Nov shows combined.

I have to say I loved Colour Me In... I love it when there's a song on an album that really comes alive when I see it live. I don't know what it was about it, but it sucked me in!

Also, it was lovely chatting with him for a few minutes after. He looked really good and just sort of peaceful, I thought.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...qXXE52tEObsHat
Thanks!
Chrysler is offline   Reply With Quote