Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 08-28-2007, 09:11 PM   #61
eamo_rice
meh

I have to say I wasn't too bothered about going to the gig, cos I've seen him so much over the last year, and i knew there would be nothing special in the setlist. but was going with a bunch of mates, and I like the vibe at Marlay Park so thought, why not. and i have to say im glad i went.

There was an awful lot of crowd interaction (i was about 10ppl back from the barrier, in the middle) but at an open air gig of such huge proportions I didn't really mind, and meant I could sing my heart out for once (singing Lisa'a harmonies too, I'm such a nerd).

the tomo/lisa phonecalls were a nice touch (although the cynic in me suspects Damo of some nicely-timed damage-control).

Lisa is no longer missed I have to say, except for I Remember. Damo just can't hit the right tone in the first part of this. how and ever, when the second mike was brought out for the encore, my stomach skipped a beat and i actually thought Lisa might come out on stage, even though i knew she wouldn't. and during Lisa's bit in The Blower's Daughter, my mate and i were CONVINCED we could hear Lisa singing, offstage. are we just nuts?

rest of the gig was pretty solid. The Volcano arrangement from earlier in the year is sounding real good, although it lacked the conviction that it had when i first heard it. I "wooooooed!!!" quite loudly when the second verse and guitars kicked in, but nobody else around me seemed to appreciate the stylistic change.
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 09:48 PM   #62
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by administrator
well, they had sold close about 23,000 tickets on wednesday, so i think it's fair to assume that 25,000 was about right. it looked even more to me.
ah emmett, if you were any decent administrator you would have counted the number of feet and divided by two...
Old 08-28-2007, 10:18 PM   #63
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
Hahaha that was me!! Awesome!
I knew it would be someone off this site! Because I noticed the t-shirt and the accent and thought it must be a dedicated fan. I was the guy that wanted the water in between KT and Damo.. good job on you if you remember me
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 11:02 PM   #64
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moves-My-World
I knew it would be someone off this site! Because I noticed the t-shirt and the accent and thought it must be a dedicated fan. I was the guy that wanted the water in between KT and Damo.. good job on you if you remember me
Ah yes! Totally remember you!
Old 08-30-2007, 06:56 PM   #65
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Oops I thought I posted this before…..Great videos and pictures Olive!!… thanks so much for sharing!! It was looking like there wouldn’t be anything of quality….but gosh your vids turned out amazing and it seems you were so close…..and not too much background noise!

Hehe Young Siward you're almost off the hook...I guess I may not have to start begging after all
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 06:59 PM   #66
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Just had a awesome flashback from Marlay, during Rootless Trees on the piano and he did the extended "**** You" and then the crowd singing over him with the multiple "**** You" perfectly. With the wind breezing at that exact moment it was awe inspiring.
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:17 PM   #67
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Haha...I wish I could claim this was a flashback...but I love when the crowd starts singing during Elephant...oh incredible! Here's a vid of part of it (and I love the way he says knees in "fall upon your knees"...it kills me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYb6ep7WKwQ

On a side note....just a thought, I wonder what it would've been like for them playing BD in front of such a huge crowd...must've felt pretty amazing/rewarding...

Olive31's video of Blower's Daughter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvZMfPsu8o

Last edited by Lindsay; 08-30-2007 at 07:21 PM.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #68
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
Haha...I wish I could claim this was a flashback...but I love when the crowd starts singing during Elephant...oh incredible! Here's a vid of part of it (and I love the way he says knees in "fall upon your knees"...it kills me)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYb6ep7WKwQ

On a side note....just a thought, I wonder what it would've been like for them playing BD in front of such a huge crowd...must've felt pretty amazing/rewarding...

Olive31's video of Blower's Daughter http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSvZMfPsu8o

on that note, I'm not the biggest fan of The Blower's Daughter (i know, what did she ever do to me) but there was something special about the moment he launched into it and the immediate reaction he got from the crowd - he must have been loving himself at that moment
Old 08-30-2007, 08:09 PM   #69
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

i had a great time did anybody see me? here are some photies:

damo

vyv

fionn regan, marketa irglova and glen hansard

little boy (shane's son?), shane, lead singer in the guillemots, damo, marketa, fionn, glen, vyv and the clarinetist from the guillemots
Old 08-30-2007, 08:17 PM
Lindsay
This message has been deleted by Lindsay.
Old 08-30-2007, 08:52 PM   #70
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

Quote:
ps....Nice pictures Livo!
thanks lindsay i love gig photography so so much, sometimes i enjoy it more than the music itself
Old 08-30-2007, 09:48 PM   #71
olive31
French Eskimo

Quote:
Oops I thought I posted this before…..Great videos and pictures Olive!!… thanks so much for sharing!! It was looking like there wouldn’t be anything of quality….but gosh your vids turned out amazing and it seems you were so close…..and not too much background noise!
Thanks Lindsay. Actually, I was right in the middle of the stage on the front row where we could listen to Damien without background noise...except one guy with blue hair! .

olive31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #72
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by olive31
Actually, I was right in the middle of the stage on the front row where we could listen to Damien without background noise...except one guy with blue hair! .
oh my god olive, wasn't the blue hair guy so so so so annoying?! i was very irritated by him. what were you wearing? i probably saw ya!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:37 AM   #73
eamo_rice
meh

Quote:

anyone else think he looks a **Wee** bit like a thinner Glen Hansard in this one? the thought just struck me.

thanks for posting all the pics, didn't have my own camera with me
Old 08-31-2007, 01:53 AM   #74
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ he he, must be the light
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 12:50 PM   #75
eamo_rice
meh

maybe, or maybe lack of a good night's sleep on my part lol

just wanted to say about Vyv as well at Marlay, she was awesome! thats the best I've heard her yet, she's obviously learning a lot from the tour shes done having supported Damo and her own headliner tour in Ireland. she seemed much more confident, and she'd introduced more layers into the song itself. fair fecks to her! and she looked well cute too!.
Old 08-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #76
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Here are a few pics...

thanks so much for the pics... and thanks everyone who shares the review... great night, eh?... i´m glad!
... and i love his coat (i want it, actually, he he)... and his shoes!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:28 PM   #77
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livo
thanks lindsay i love gig photography so so much, sometimes i enjoy it more than the music itself
haha...well people like myself are glad you enjoy it so much

Quote:
Thanks Lindsay. Actually, I was right in the middle of the stage on the front row where we could listen to Damien without background noise...except one guy with blue hair! .
Wow olive....that must've been so amazing.....you must've had a great time! And I looove the red picture
Old 08-31-2007, 10:44 PM   #78
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by eamo_rice
maybe, or maybe lack of a good night's sleep on my part lol

just wanted to say about Vyv as well at Marlay, she was awesome! thats the best I've heard her yet, she's obviously learning a lot from the tour shes done having supported Damo and her own headliner tour in Ireland. she seemed much more confident, and she'd introduced more layers into the song itself. fair fecks to her! and she looked well cute too!.
Couldn't agree more eamonn, she was awesome.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #79
olive31
French Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livo
oh my god olive, wasn't the blue hair guy so so so so annoying?! i was very irritated by him. what were you wearing? i probably saw ya!
Yeah, this guy was awful! I think he arrived after the first set. Actually I went out to get a beer after Fionn Regan and when I came back, the guy was standing at my position (although I had left my sweater and asked the guy next to me to save my place). And then he called his 2 crazy friends!
It was very hard for me to get back to the first row. So, you may have seen all this (I was wearing jeans + black sweater).
Old 09-04-2007, 07:12 AM   #80
olive31
French Eskimo

Quote:
I uploaded more videos here .
Old 09-14-2007, 04:42 PM   #81
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Sorry to have to bump this thread... buuuut i just now got to seeing the video of Cheers Darling at Marlay!!!!...

It's sooooo goooood!!

ok i luv when he yells CHEEEEEERS!!!! when he's sitting down ... it's so funny!

I had no idea he did a little improv at the end of the song! ... brilliant!!

Oh and he played part of Fool at the end!!!!!!!!

here's the video !! ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=12_rJQ_QCko

Ps... i think by the time he leans over to talk to Glen he's definately veeeery timpsy !!! hehe

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote