Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 09-18-2007, 06:57 PM   #1
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Default Denver?

Anyone went to the Denver gig last news?? Cannot find any news

Ohhhh, 'Thefarewellnote' says is gonna post a review as soon as the admins activate his/her account. Quoting: "It was a strange night...the whole band was in a strange mood. I have a few pics too I am going to share"

Last edited by borneoman; 09-18-2007 at 08:19 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Thefarewellnote sent me an amazing and exhaustive report about the Denver show with setlist & lots of detaisl!!!!!! I'm posting it on Thetareweelnote's behalf, ...is having problems signing up for the account...

Enjoy!!!

Here you go. Hopefully my rambling makes sense. Hard to recount all the information while at work.

Here's the set list: (not completely in order – hard to remember them all)

9 Crimes – Extended Version
Volcano
Amie
The animals were gone
I Remember with Bang Bang – With huge drum solo at the end (good 5 mins of drumming)
The Rat within the Grain
Accidental Babies – Extended String
Rootless Tree – more along the lines of the video from the single.
Childish – Great song
Coconut Skins – Drum Solo again (two drummers Brenda and the backup guitar guy on another set)
The Professor & La Fille Danse – Extended version minus the French part
Woman Like a Man
The Blowers Daughter

Encore:
Vyvienne Solo on the cello – I think more people cheered for her than Damien. She had a huge smile on her face.
Sleep Don’t Weep
Grey Room – on guitar.
Me, My Yoke, & I – Damien end the song barking like a dog into the microphone and looping it while he the drummer and Joel just played noise for about 4 mins

Damien and the band were in a strange mood. You could tell that they didn’t want to be there. I saw them back in May and if you compared the two; you would think it was two separate bands. As soon as Damien finished one song he would quickly move into the next song with little or no pause. This really threw the crowd off and I heard a lot of people talking about how he wasn’t smiling or anything. Joel looked completely pissed. Brendan seemed to really enjoy the attention he got from the drum solos – I noticed a few times that Damien would glare over at him during the solos. Not a good glare, but more of a glare that seemed like he was upset with how it sounded. Vy would zone out during a lot of the songs and I only saw her smile when she got the huge round of applause from her solo. There was also a backup guitar/drummer there too…A lanky looking guy. He did some beats on a box or something before a few of the songs.

Damien didn’t once smile at the crowd or anything. He said thank you after the second song. He told a brief story about C. Skins (about 6 secs, I don’t remember it. I have heard it before so nothing new) and then introduced the band at the end of The Blowers Daughter. At the end of The Professor he didn’t sing the French part and quickly moved the piano for the next song – someone shouted to him to sing the French part and he just sorta rolled his eyes. He performed for roughly 1 hour and 35 mins.

He then left the stage and I was positive there wasn’t going to be an encore. The crowd I suppose could sense his bitterness. We clapped for a good 6 mins before Vy came back out. I saw the guy over on the side of the stage setting up for the Cheers Darlin skit. Damien did thank everyone again before Sleep Don’t Weep – and then broke into the story about how the song was about ****ing with someone so hard and that part of them not growing back. Then talked about walking threw a field killing the grass and it not growing back. Mentioning that he was an environmentalist and how he had two tour buses and two trucks and how he was the worse out of his friends’ cause of this. Then mentioned bio-diesel was used in the buses but that it was probably made by tractors that used regular diesel to farm the materials. Then said we should all watch 11th hour by Leo. Dicaprio saying it was a great movie.

He then sang Grey Room with the guitar. He seemed very emotional during this song. Almost to the point of crying, I don’t know if it was on purpose or not but he messed up the lyrics twice within the song.

Instead of the correct lyrics:
“sat on the floor in a grey grey room
where i stay in all day”

He said:
“sat on the floor in a grey grey room
where i stay in all night..oh umm day. “

Each time he did it Vy looked at him with a strange look on her face. I swear that if I was closer I would have been able to spot tears. I then noticed the guy that got the wine set out for the Cheers Darlin skit chug down the glass of wine and stuff the apron and shirt into a bag. And sit down with a confused look his face too.

The music seemed a lot harder than normal – which could have been because of the new drummer.

Damien just seemed out of it. Just wasn’t the Damien that I saw in May. Maybe it was because of the extensive touring or what not and it starting to wear him out. I just hope he is ok and not over extending himself. I just wanted to hug him and tell him he would be ok.

Here are some pic I took with my iPhone. I was right in the front row (it was General Admissions – no seats) Sorry for the bad quality. Damn Camera Phones.

http://gallery.mac.com/thefarewellnote/100032 - site may take a few seconds to load.

Last edited by borneoman; 09-18-2007 at 10:06 PM.
Old 09-18-2007, 10:15 PM   #3
viv
Eskimo Regular

Thanks for the review. I'm interested in how he will be in LA, since it's his last show (in the US) and he seems to have had some "weird" (other people's discription not mine) shows in the past couple of days. Who is going to LA?
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 10:19 PM   #4
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Me going too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He seemed in a very good mood in the East coast... I think he's gonna make an effort in LA, i'm convinced the whole Sept tour happened because he had to skip LA in the Spring... so he'll rock!!!! and the Greek is such an amazing place!!!!

Just remembered there is a curfew at the Greek, you know it's in this residential area... I want a loooooooooooooooooooooong show!!!!
Old 09-18-2007, 10:23 PM   #5
Ca11um
Eskimo Syndrome

It's just impossible to have a good vibe for every show, simply because he puts so much emotion into it. It's weird, because this kind of gig would probably appeal to me more... i seem to like the shows where everyone comments "wow, he seemed depressed" a whole lot more than when he's in a good mood. I think it's because of the intensity and power of music when someone is genuinely sad, as opposed to playing a song that's written about a sad situation - but the person's in a positive mood. I remember how the first time i heard cheers darlin', i thought it was the saddest thing i'd ever heard; but then after hearing a few live versions, everyone seems to laugh and think he's taking the p1ss outta himself (which he is!) But, it's ironic, because i don't think he'd ever play cheers darlin when he's not in a good mood haha. Ah god, I'm rambling again!

Basically, if any of you like Bright Eyes, listen to a live version of "callendar hung itself" from 2001 and then do the same for a version from 2007

However! As much as connor oberst's depression used to please me so much, in terms of how emotionally charged and brilliant the live set was - i hope Damien snaps out of his indifferent mood soon, as i feel a lot closer to him. Which is kind of strange as i have never met him - I just relate to him completely and hope he gets back to being happy!

I also hope some of this post made sense, but hey, they usually don't Cheers for all the details !!!
Old 09-18-2007, 11:47 PM   #6
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Oh my you didn't get La fille Danse!?????... mmm that's why i luv the Professor sooooo much!!
but you got 'rat within te grain' and 'childish'... so that makes up for it! ... oh and 'animals were gone!' i luv that song!

he does seem to be in a weird mood lately... in all the shows he's done this past week !... but i'm sure that it makes for a very intense and gloomy show!... which is kind of a good thing if you think about it ... you get the real feeling of the songs!!!

anyways hope you enjoyed it!! and thanks for sharing!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 12:18 AM   #7
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

and I think Animals and Sleep don't Weep hadn't been played before in this leg of the tour... Do you remember which song did Vyv??
Old 09-19-2007, 01:41 AM   #8
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

welcome to the igloo Thefarewellnote!
Thank you so much for the review, I really appreciate all the observations! And thanks for the pictures as well! Seems like it was an intense show. It must be so exhausting after awhile from having to be so emotional every night for such a long period of time... gosh
Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Thefarewellnote .... Damien did thank everyone again before Sleep Don’t Weep – and then broke into the story about how the song was about ****ing with someone so hard and that part of them not growing back. Then talked about walking threw a field killing the grass and it not growing back.
I looove when he uses analogies for this song
Quote:
Mentioning that he was an environmentalist and how he had two tour buses and two trucks and how he was the worse out of his friends’ cause of this. Then mentioned bio-diesel was used in the buses but that it was probably made by tractors that used regular diesel to farm the materials. Then said we should all watch 11th hour by Leo. Dicaprio saying it was a great movie.
so nice to hear him talking about this
Quote:
He seemed in a very good mood in the East coast... I think he's gonna make an effort in LA, i'm convinced the whole Sept tour happened because he had to skip LA in the Spring... so he'll rock!!!! and the Greek is such an amazing place!!!!
Haha! Nice try.... the only reason it happened is because he wanted to come back to Canada
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 07:15 AM   #9
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

here's a video i found on Youtube... it's the end of 9crimes...

I always feel like at the end of 9crimes he should segway into rootless tree and mix the two! ... doesn't anyone!

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
Old 09-19-2007, 03:00 PM   #10
Ca11um
Eskimo Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
here's a video i found on Youtube... it's the end of 9crimes...

I always feel like at the end of 9crimes he should segway into rootless tree and mix the two! ... doesn't anyone!
when he does it sounds pretty good yeah I prefer to the rootless tree into volcano combination though
Old 09-19-2007, 03:17 PM   #11
lalla32
Eskimo Regular

I think we should start drawing graphes to study Damo's mood. And look for a pattern. I know I have been to 3 different shows this year... and all three were very different considering his mood. The first one was quite formal... he talked a lot but didn't seem like he was having the time of his life. In the second one he seemed very happy and we got a funny and happy show. In the last one in Rome he seemed quite down, or angry or very pissed or whatever... All three show were amazing in their own way... the last one being probably the most intense.
So considering all the ups and downs during the whole tour one should start considering that either our Damo is suffering of bipolar disorder or he does it in some way purposely.
During an interview he said he was trying to play every show in the mood he was in that moment... ah, can't remember the exact words. But anyway...
So maybe if during a show he doesn't open his mouth to talk or seems pissed like he doesn't really want to be there... it's not really true. Mmm... I can't really make sense with my sucky English. LOL
IMHO for every single show he is trying to follow one true emotion to make his music sound more real... at times he feels like following and giving energy to good thoughts and happy feelings and we get a "good mood" show... at times he just choses to dwell in sad or angry emotions... and we get another kind of show. It's just the way he works and the way he wants to deliver his music... and we get some amazing music thanx to that! So I don't think one should assume Damo is tired or angry or mad ath the crowd or the place because of the way he delivers a show...
Okay, there are probably days he just feels like s**t and doesn't really care for anything...

So, did I make any sense? LOL

Anyway, thank you for the review! Would love to be able to listen to a recording of the show!
lalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 03:50 PM   #12
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca11um
when he does it sounds pretty good yeah I prefer to the rootless tree into volcano combination though
has he ever done rootless tree and volcano??
Or do you mean when he does the piano intro to Volcano?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lalla32
IMHO for every single show he is trying to follow one true emotion to make his music sound more real... at times he feels like following and giving energy to good thoughts and happy feelings and we get a "good mood" show... at times he just choses to dwell in sad or angry emotions... and we get another kind of show. It's just the way he works and the way he wants to deliver his music... and we get some amazing music thanx to that! So I don't think one should assume Damo is tired or angry or mad ath the crowd or the place because of the way he delivers a show...
Okay, there are probably days he just feels like s**t and doesn't really care for anything...
you said very well .... Totally agree!! ...

And yeaa he has said this many times, that he wants to play along with the mood he's in... i personally like it and i think this is why we all like him so much... he gives us huge amounts of variety which is very refreshing.
I personally love when an artist engages so many emotion in a performance so that by the end of the show you are feeling that too!!

Old 09-19-2007, 04:48 PM   #13
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
Toootally!! Not only because of the sound......but because of the lyrics too. When I listen to them, it's almost like Rootless Tree is part 2. I don't think I've ever heard the combination though, nor have I heard the Rootless Tree/Volcano combo.....but I've heard the Volcano/MMY&I combo which I really like!
Old 09-19-2007, 05:05 PM   #14
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

Quote:
Ohhhh, 'Thefarewellnote' says is gonna post a review as soon as the admins activate his/her account.
Sorry... real-world Wheels is having a busy week. Activated now.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:11 PM   #15
thefarewellnote
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca11um
Nice find - great video. I had the same angle that he had. I emailed to see if he has any photos for us
thefarewellnote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 05:12 PM   #16
thefarewellnote
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
and I think Animals and Sleep don't Weep hadn't been played before in this leg of the tour... Do you remember which song did Vyv??
I am not to familiar with her music. She played a song that talked about a man coming over to her house at 3:00 in the morning looking for fun and what not
Old 09-19-2007, 05:13 PM   #17
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ I see you're able to post NOW

Do you remember which song did Vyv perform???????
Old 09-19-2007, 05:27 PM   #18
thefarewellnote
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
^ I see you're able to post NOW

Do you remember which song did Vyv perform???????
Posted it right above you

I am not to familiar with her music. She played a song that talked about a man coming over to her house at 3:00 in the morning looking for fun and what not.

And thanks for posting the review for me
Old 09-19-2007, 09:00 PM   #19
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarewellnote
Posted it right above you

I am not to familiar with her music. She played a song that talked about a man coming over to her house at 3:00 in the morning looking for fun and what not.

And thanks for posting the review for me
"Never Leave You" would be my guess.
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:43 PM   #20
Bananas
Eskimo Baby

He did the Rootless Tree/Volcano/MMY&I combo in Nashville. It was awesome! I loved the live Rootless version and he really rocked out after Volcano and in the intro to MMY&I. He seemed to be in a weird mood at first at that show, going from song to song and not saying anything. I was bummed at first because I read about his shows in the days before and how they were awesome. But he slowly seemed to get into a better mood as the night went on. Telling more and more stories and becoming more talkative. He did an awesome unplugged Cannonball and the Encore where he closed with Cheers Darlin and incorporated the wanking story and the snow started falling as he walked off stage was sooooo cool! It was my first show but I read about a lot of his shows he did right before that and each one seemed to be different. I loved it soooo much!!! I just started listening to Damien this summer and have become completely obsessed!
Bananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2007, 06:55 PM   #21
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananas
He did the Rootless Tree/Volcano/MMY&I combo in Nashville. It was awesome! I loved the live Rootless version and he really rocked out after Volcano and in the intro to MMY&I. He seemed to be in a weird mood at first at that show, going from song to song and not saying anything. I was bummed at first because I read about his shows in the days before and how they were awesome. But he slowly seemed to get into a better mood as the night went on. Telling more and more stories and becoming more talkative. He did an awesome unplugged Cannonball and the Encore where he closed with Cheers Darlin and incorporated the wanking story and the snow started falling as he walked off stage was sooooo cool! It was my first show but I read about a lot of his shows he did right before that and each one seemed to be different. I loved it soooo much!!! I just started listening to Damien this summer and have become completely obsessed!
Welcome
Gosh....that combo would've been great! I just heard of DR in the spring time, hehe and I've become obsessed as well! Glad that you were able to catch him on tour!!
Old 09-20-2007, 11:30 PM   #22
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Welcome Bananas!!! and welcome thefarewellnote!!!

Thanks for sharing the reviews !!! ... and i'm veeery intregued aboutt he rootless tree/ Volcano/ MMY&I combo !!!!!!!