Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-09-2007, 01:49 AM   #1
Ithilsul
Eskimo Baby

Default Denver 5/5/07 Show Review

This was the first time I've seen Damien in concert, and I happened to have my voice recorder with me, so I recorded it but the quality is horrible. I was 4 rows from the stage, center. Damn those were good seats. Put the crappy recording up here:

http://www.eskimofriends.com/forum/s...538#post311538

At the start, Damien came out and began playing piano, an extended intro that lead into 9 Crimes. At first I was a little dissapointed, but I knew Lisa wouldn't be there... but the show was amazing. In between songs he'd tell fairly long, funny stories about what a song was about.

Some interesting stuff, since it's hard to make out in the recording:

"Most of you probably don't know this song" Before Rat Within the Grain

He tells a weird story about his dog falling off a cliff (i think it was this one) before Eskimo, where he does the operatic sounding part (can't remember the language).

After Eskimo, he's contemplating what to play next, then someone in the audience yells "UNPLAYED PIANO!". At this point Damien just kinda shrugged and said "Okay", then went back to the piano and played it.

After Unplayed Piano he talks about Burma and why he wrote the song, etc.

Next he talks about a girl he knew who would blame everything on herself, and relates it to himself a little "I know I've been a real dick to some people." Then talks about how women always complain about PMS, and his version of that problem "Ugh, it's just that time of the month and just don't talk to me ugh. So... Ugh, you know, I'm just full of sperm right now.." Then goes into the Professor.

I kinda wish he'd sing the parts that lisa now sings an octave lower, I always find it weird when he sings the girl part of Blowers Daughter, which he went into next.

He then went to Coconut skins, then into Face (which I didn't recognize at the time)

After this he went on talking about how christmas starts earlier and earlier, don't remember why, but then goes into how he had a roommate once who had a dog who wouldn't shut up. Eventually the guy moved out and took the dog... and then goes into "Woke up and for the first time, the animals were gone..."

Then he plays the piano version of Rootless Tree.

"This is a song about um... ...thinking." Then talks about being ditched by friends, or something, and going for a walk. Anyway, I Remember.

After this he unplugs his guitar pickup and walks up to the front of the stage, no mic, and sings Cannonball totally unplugged. I wondered if everyone in the back could even hear it, ha. After this he walks off stage, and the audience cheers for an encore.

Lights go back up, Damien sitting at the piano playing Accidental Babies, then the audience goes crazy, lights go out, and theres one more encore song.

Lights go up, Damien is sitting at the front of the stage with a wine glass, looking drunk and depressed, and smoking a cig. He holds his glass out behind him and someone dressed as a waiter fills it with wine. He chugs wine and smokes, sitting and like, crawling on the ground while singing Cheers Darlin', probably the coolest encore i've seen. At the end of the song he gets up during the climax, then while the piano outtro plays he staggers off stage looking drunk (and with all the wine he chugged i wouldn't be shocked if he was a little buzzed).

Very cool concert, though Vyvienne looked kinda depressed or something at one point, and someone played the cello parts on a keyboard behind her... not sure what that was about. I also got annoyed when the drummer started tapping his hi-hat during the unplugged Cannonball, was distracting... but i'm being nit-picky. Didn't play Amie or Elephant either! Wah, oh well. Probably one of the best concerts I've been too, it felt alot more personal than the bigass stadium ones with huge rock bands.

Here's the set list:
9 Crimes
Me, My Yoke & I
Volcano
The Rat Within the Grain
Eskimo
Unplayed piano
The professor
The blower's daughter
Coconut skins
Face
The animals were gone
Rootless tree
I remember
Cannonball
----
Accidental babies
Cheers darlin
Ithilsul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 03:07 AM   #2
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

I am swooning as we speak.. just swooning!! I am glad you had as much fun as we texas-imos had!! Thanks for posting the link! I only got a few pics before the picture nazi's came a calling. they were taking up peoples phones. Aw well.. I can live in me memories!

Thank you SO much for the review!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote