Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 08-27-2006, 07:31 PM   #1
Timeé
Intello

Default Damien at Vicar Street 30th Aug (meet-up?)

i can't wait for this gig. this wednesday!

well doors open 7.30pm so

is anyone interested in a meet-up of eskimos for maybe 6.30pm????

raise your hand if you are.

sean bring your bongo
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 10:52 PM   #2
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Me and Dean C are going over and will be up for a meet up I assume. Although im more going out after the gig than before.

Thom
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:15 PM   #3
Bumpman

If you're planning on getting there at 6:30 then you can forget about even being one of the first two hundred people in the queue. Vicar St always open the exterior doors early and move the queue inside to the bar about half an hour before the official doors time. And the last thing anyone wants to see is some people who barely know one another skipping to the front of the queue because they didn't bother showing up early enough. Seriously man, if you don't want the local basketball team and afro club standing in front of you all night you'll have to do better then half six.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:23 PM   #4
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Please.. TAKE PICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOT!!!!!!! Oh, if ya see him.. Tell him I love him. hehe hehehehehe hehehehehehehehe

I know. Women. sheesh

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2006, 11:47 PM   #5
Bumpman

That's one of the bad things about gigs, people refuse to just remember it in their heads, they need cameras to enjoy it, they can't listen to a good performance without making a phone call and holding the reciever up. It wouldn't even be so bad if the people with cameras found out how to use the bloody things and incorporated aperture and shutter speed instead of just relying on flash photography all the time. Then it wouldn't distract anyone, they always seem to want to take photos at the quiet parts too, as if the photo will sound nice. Never when something interesting is happening on stage, just at the quiet parts.
Old 08-28-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Me and Tommy B will be there as early as we can get there Hope the weather's nice in Dublin And yeah, if anyones up for going for a few drinks afterwards or something along those lines, I'm up for it.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 12:10 PM   #7
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

You lucky Europeans and your ability to see Damien live. I'm entirely jealous.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:47 PM   #8
~Aoife~
Eskimo Regular

Hey guys, have a great time at the gig(s). I'm off on holidays tomorrow so will miss the Vicar St shows.
Enjoy!

Aoife
Old 08-28-2006, 05:58 PM   #9
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

What time you heading down Sean? I won't be there too early tommorow cause I've work but I'll be there plenty early on Wednesday.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 06:56 PM   #10
Soozy
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
That's one of the bad things about gigs, people refuse to just remember it in their heads, they need cameras to enjoy it, they can't listen to a good performance without making a phone call and holding the reciever up. It wouldn't even be so bad if the people with cameras found out how to use the bloody things and incorporated aperture and shutter speed instead of just relying on flash photography all the time. Then it wouldn't distract anyone, they always seem to want to take photos at the quiet parts too, as if the photo will sound nice. Never when something interesting is happening on stage, just at the quiet parts.
Hi, this is a little worrying. I'm going to tomorrow's show to see Pedestrian who look like they're the first band on. From what you're saying there'll be a lot of people there early, so I guess I'd have to get there early too if I didn't want to miss any of their set? What time do you think I'd need to be there to be happily in by 7:30? (Doors are 7 right?)

Also, I'll be taking my camera - but won't be using the flash. It's a small digital camera that does such poor video that it's barely worth using for videos. Will I have any problems getting it in if it's in my bag, or do I need to hide it somewhere?

Thanks,

Susie

Last edited by Soozy; 08-28-2006 at 07:03 PM.
Soozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:20 PM   #11
Bumpman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
What time you heading down Sean? I won't be there too early tommorow cause I've work but I'll be there plenty early on Wednesday.
I'm not too sure of specifics, I haven't decided which train to get yet. Just make it look like you didn't just walk past the people who got there earlier then you and everything should be fine. If anyone says anything we could challenge them to a battle of wits... Or possibly a duel, depending on whether or not you bring your dueling glove.

Susie, Pedestrian will be the second band on, Fionn Regan will be first. Damien will probably start his set at either nine or half nine, considering that there's two support acts I'd put my money on half nine, by that rationale Pedestrian should be starting at half eight. There's absolutely no way that there'll be anyone playing at half seven anyway. So you should be safe enough. There's not really much hassle on photography unless you have a telescopic or a macro lens on your camera, There will most likely be more handheld digital cameras there tommorow then there will be people, so you wont have to hide it. There are rules against video, but they're not strictly enforced (unless you obviously have a camera), and there will most likely be a lot of flash photography, it's just frowned upon by the band and crowd.

Last edited by Bumpman; 08-28-2006 at 08:19 PM.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:43 PM   #12
Soozy
Eskimo Baby

Thanks for the quick reply. I have seen support bands come on as little as 15 minutes after doors open before - not often mind you, but I didn't want to risk flying over from England and missing the band I was mainly there to see.

As for flash photography, I've learnt recently that non-flash photos can turn out so much better than using the flash. You just have to take a few as the ratio of blurry ones to clear good ones is pretty high.
Soozy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
Bumpman

I know what you mean, it's always worth the hassle for the clear ones you get that weren't taken with flash, It makes you finally realise how the music magazines have such good pictures all the time... Not taking the lazy way out.
Old 08-29-2006, 12:04 PM   #14
god
Eskimo Baby

Can anyone tell me if there will be people selling tickets out front. I don't care what I have to pay. We call them scalpers in Australia but I am not sure what you call them here. Any info on this would be appreciated.
god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 01:36 PM   #15
bohs
Eskimo Baby

Yeah there will be a few people outside selling alright but you would prob pay a bit extra. O and there called touts
Old 08-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #16
god
Eskimo Baby

Default Tickets

Thanks BOHS, I have no problem paying PLENTY extra.

Can you tell me what time you think I should get there or do you think these TOUTS will be selling them right up to show start time (meaning Damien start time)

Kind regards

gODLY
god is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 03:02 PM   #17
tywy
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
If you're planning on getting there at 6:30 then you can forget about even being one of the first two hundred people in the queue. Vicar St always open the exterior doors early and move the queue inside to the bar about half an hour before the official doors time. And the last thing anyone wants to see is some people who barely know one another skipping to the front of the queue because they didn't bother showing up early enough. Seriously man, if you don't want the local basketball team and afro club standing in front of you all night you'll have to do better then half six.

thing is, everyone piles into vicar st and the people who were at the top of queue outside aren't automatically at the top of the queue inside. most of the time the bouncers won't let you queue outside the doors in the venue until about 5 mins before they are going to open them. They shove everyone into the bar until then. Basically what I'm saying is, if you are there by 5 or there by 6 it doesn't make much difference because once you are there when the inside doors are opening your grand. It may not seem fair, but that's life I guess!

In La Tulipe in Montreal we got there at like 7pm when the doors were at 7.30pm and we got seats 4 rows from the front even though there were about 200 people in front of us :P
tywy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 09:47 PM   #18
Timeé
Intello

im scared about not gettin in. goddammit.

someone be a nanny for me please.
Old 08-29-2006, 10:08 PM   #19
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by god
Can anyone tell me if there will be people selling tickets out front. I don't care what I have to pay. We call them scalpers in Australia but I am not sure what you call them here. Any info on this would be appreciated.
in Denmark we call them snakes, thieves, exploiters, as*h*oles, idiots, bast'ards, C*cks*ckers, poo, and - oh did I mention as*ho*es?

Well that's what i call them anyway.
Old 08-29-2006, 11:46 PM   #20
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by god
Thanks BOHS, I have no problem paying PLENTY extra.

Can you tell me what time you think I should get there or do you think these TOUTS will be selling them right up to show start time (meaning Damien start time)

Kind regards

gODLY
try getting there extra early and see if theres tickets in the box office. i know its sold out but sometimes guestlist dont turn up and they pass on the tickets to the box office

and down with this sort of thing. Dont be letting touts make a living

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 04:29 PM   #21
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Me and tommy B are here in the internet cafe next to vicar street. If anyone is on the way pop in and say hi. You can't miss me, im wearing a bright orange tee
Old 08-30-2006, 04:40 PM   #22
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean C
Me and tommy B are here in the internet cafe next to vicar street. If anyone is on the way pop in and say hi. You can't miss me, im wearing a bright orange tee
is that you wearing the orange tee???

im wearing a stripey top and im across the room of you i think

IM TOO EARLY THEY WONT LET ME IN

bumpman musta been taken the piss outta me
Old 08-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #23
Timeé
Intello

small world indeed
Old 08-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #24
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

As if your sitting in front of me im the guy with the black t shirt and the hair that has been totally demolished by thye rain lol.

Thom
Old 08-30-2006, 04:42 PM   #25
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
is that you wearing the orange tee???

im wearing a stripey top and im across the room of you i think

IM TOO EARLY THEY WONT LET ME IN

bumpman musta been taken the piss outta me
Where are all the fine ladies at tim?
Old 08-30-2006, 04:44 PM   #26
Timeé
Intello

only one ... i think shes warming up at the moment. her names lisa

p.s. you better walk in with me (ive no i.d.)

i walked in and then there was the bouncer (can i help you there?) he seems sound enough. i should be ok
Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #27
Tommy
Chilly Eskimo

Where do you even walk in, i aint got a clue about this place. And what time can we even get in there?

Thom
Old 08-30-2006, 04:45 PM   #28
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

The doors are open Tim? Guys click this URL and let's chat in here:
http://gabbly.com/eskimofriends.com
Old 08-30-2006, 04:47 PM   #29
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy
Where do you even walk in, i aint got a clue about this place. And what time can we even get in there?

Thom
well i THINK you walk in the side. you walk outside the café here
and turn left down the alley and that first door on the right there.

well i went in there anyway
i should have said im a personal friend of damiens i woulda been able to hang around (p.s. im not)

some OTHER band seem to be warming up right now.