Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 06-17-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Default so..............

ray has a new cd and is touring.................great new single as well!

david gray has a new 20-song cd and is touring with ray..............

how awesome is this summer going to be for those that embrace these two powerfully gifted artists..............truly cutting edge and on top of their game in giving back to their audience

so where does this leave our dear old damien???? I am tired of waiting...........just tell us you are not really an artist damien and just a lazy dude who doesn't care about band members or frankly much else than getting laid and hanging out smoking herb...........something I can respect althoug I have managed to make a career along the way which apparently you don't care about!

bring on the august dgray and ray gigs in the summer air!!!

woohoo!!!!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^seriously man, that's like the most stupid comment, like ever

we're all anxious and we all want the album now, but there's no need to be obnoxious and insult

Last edited by borneoman; 06-17-2010 at 06:27 AM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

possibly if you really think there is an album............

all I know is he has produced one album he is behind and that was ten years ago..........ray and david are still at it and it is obvious it is due to their true love of music....sorry marti but the way I see it damien much more enjoys cavorting around the world thinking he is hip and playing randomn gigs when he wants more attention
Old 06-17-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Thats was insulting and unnecessary! Damien gave out one of the best albums of all time and he is a truly amazing artist who actually wants to give his best to his fans and for that is taking his time to come up with something he will be proud of. He has no obligations of fulfilling yours or anybody else expectations of giving out a new album this year or next year. He has been doing a great job caring about people and the environment and he has enough self confidence to tell you to F.u.c.k off and shut up and I wish he would read this and say it.

Last edited by Amie R.; 06-17-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Amie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:51 PM   #5
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

oh c'mon guys, it wasn't THAT insulting. Far be it for me to defend David, but its probably what most people are thinking but don't want to say it out loud.

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:09 PM   #6
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

thank you and precisely..........funny that all of this emanated from the fact that I am so pysched that ray released his first single from the new cd yesterday and that we have twenty - yes TWENTY - new songs from dgray to be released in august as well.......both on the 17th in fact when we will be in boston to hear them co-headline their second and third gigs of their tour

I have said my piece - oh and btw I wouldn't be here save for that album...........I have traveled to luzern new york louisville and elsewhere to see damien perform..would have gone to norway had maria not broken her ankle.........and I would jump a plane it a heart beat......however what is is and this is the way that I see it........agree or disagree but no need to get all hyper defense mode lol
Old 06-17-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
glo32
Eskimo Regular

I respect your opinion but I find it funny that you take Ray and David as examples... As far as David, come on, the latest album was awful... And Ray, Till the sun turns black was a good album but it can't really compare to Trouble... That said, I love Ray, he's amazing live and all, but I wish he'd never released Gossip in the grain, it really sounds like he was pushed to release something he wasn't happy with (just like Damien wasn't happy with 9).

I am hoping for a new Damien album too but he has to take his own time to do it as he likes... If he takes 5 years but then gives us an amazing album (like O was), then I'll be happy to listen to him again... in the meantime, there's no need to get tired of waiting and saying he's not a true artist... there is so much good music out there that makes possible to wait for him...
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:58 PM   #8
nassau
Nassau

in Iceland planting trees, in Colombia helping to raise money for a village to have clean water, on the mission blue voyage to learn more about how the ocean is being affected by humans, wrote an incredible song for "When the Dragon Swallowed the Sun."

yeah, guess your right.... it does seem like he only cares about "getting laid and smoking herb."
nassau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 03:53 PM   #9
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

does he follow up on those projects? or does he do a fly by??? as far as i know he has danced around those causes but has not at all embraced any of them.............but whatever you get the point and I am sure he has the best of intentions

I actually really like dtl...........dtl is fantastic (but better live acoustic with just neill), kathleen, fugitive is a great opener etc. I understand your point and share the same sentiments about gossip.......that is why I am looking so forward the the new cd free from ethan and just he and the band.........while the new track didn't move me as many of his songs do it is clearly a good indication of the raw pure ray we love (btw yes trouble rule but I absolutely love ttstb......and good comparison to damien as i too actually very much enjoy 9)

the point though is missed.............whatever you think of the material coming out of these artists it is they are writing new stuff and now both are self producing those efforts......david gray took the risk to completely self finance dtl - it is clear these guys love the art of music and are reveling in it..........I hope damien finds it again but it just seems pretty clear to me he isn't in that type of space today nor has been for some time
Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #10
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

so............................. this thread is no surprise.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:09 PM   #11
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

that's it?! I expected so much more.............lol
Old 06-17-2010, 04:38 PM   #12
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran View Post
oh c'mon guys, it wasn't THAT insulting. Far be it for me to defend David, but its probably what most people are thinking but don't want to say it out loud.
I agree...but like I said , some comments on this site are only permitted by beautiful latin Women...and Dave sures the shiit aint one....

But as we all know, damien made it clear in 99 when he backed out of that 'lucrative' 6 record juniper contract that he was going to do things his way...and he did......Nobody was complaining about his decision after O was released...he has no record company screeming in his face for the next record he is under contract to provide........It's nice being able to do what you want...called freedom............Which Ray doesent have with RCA records , i presume but could be wrong (4 records in 6 yrs!!!) ...Ray doesent have time for gardening now does he.....
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:51 PM   #13
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex View Post
does he follow up on those projects? or does he do a fly by??? as far as i know he has danced around those causes but has not at all embraced any of them.............but whatever you get the point and I am sure he has the best of intentions

I actually really like dtl...........dtl is fantastic (but better live acoustic with just neill), kathleen, fugitive is a great opener etc. I understand your point and share the same sentiments about gossip.......that is why I am looking so forward the the new cd free from ethan and just he and the band.........while the new track didn't move me as many of his songs do it is clearly a good indication of the raw pure ray we love (btw yes trouble rule but I absolutely love ttstb......and good comparison to damien as i too actually very much enjoy 9)

the point though is missed.............whatever you think of the material coming out of these artists it is they are writing new stuff and now both are self producing those efforts......david gray took the risk to completely self finance dtl - it is clear these guys love the art of music and are reveling in it..........I hope damien finds it again but it just seems pretty clear to me he isn't in that type of space today nor has been for some time
I believe he does follow up with the projects,but differently from many others he doesn't like to make a big deal out of his help and involvement. Again,his way of doing things.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:54 PM   #14
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
I respect your opinion but I find it funny that you take Ray and David as examples... As far as David, come on, the latest album was awful... And Ray, Till the sun turns black was a good album but it can't really compare to Trouble... That said, I love Ray, he's amazing live and all, but I wish he'd never released Gossip in the grain, it really sounds like he was pushed to release something he wasn't happy with (just like Damien wasn't happy with 9).

I am hoping for a new Damien album too but he has to take his own time to do it as he likes... If he takes 5 years but then gives us an amazing album (like O was), then I'll be happy to listen to him again... in the meantime, there's no need to get tired of waiting and saying he's not a true artist... there is so much good music out there that makes possible to wait for him...
I so agree with you! and giving out an album every other year or giving out 20 songs doesn't make an artist better than the other or even a good one.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:45 PM   #15
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
I agree...but like I said , some comments on this site are only permitted by beautiful latin Women...and Dave sures the shiit aint one....

But as we all know, damien made it clear in 99 when he backed out of that 'lucrative' 6 record juniper contract that he was going to do things his way...and he did......Nobody was complaining about his decision after O was released...he has no record company screeming in his face for the next record he is under contract to provide........It's nice being able to do what you want...called freedom............Which Ray doesent have with RCA records , i presume but could be wrong (4 records in 6 yrs!!!) ...Ray doesent have time for gardening now does he.....
haha that is the most intelligent comment yet! and some just don't get it - while I certainly do speak my mind and i truly believe all I have said the reactions are incredibly entertaining..............

I would argue the only cd ray was "forced" into was gossip........we will see with this new cd........certainly the first two were anything but in my opinion

and david is clearly on the record and has proven he isn't caught up in the commercialization of his music..........

again the point is simply these guys are out there putting out music..you can question their motivation but I certainly do not..........shall we add david ford to the list?
Old 06-17-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´d just like to say... whatever he does, it has nothing to do with being "really an artist" or loving music as much as you can´t breath (just an example).

regarding the other stuff, they all are opinions and they all are allowed, imho

eleph... lol at
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElephantMan View Post
I agree...but like I said , some comments on this site are only permitted by beautiful latin Women...
Old 06-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #17
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

I havent been around here for ages but wanna congratulate to Dave for speaking his mind and not having the pink glasses on.

Dave is spot on.Thanks for bringing some sanity with urself man!

Did u ever attempt to go back to that Norway fest btw? I am still gutted I missed it myself.

xoxo kosketa
Old 06-17-2010, 07:28 PM   #18
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

haha thanks my dear!! how the heck have you been??!!

I have been round these parts long enough to know who is who on the board and no one can say I don't tell it like I see it - that is the way I am for good or for bad...........and marti I still love you bro! lol

yes every time I think about missing that vacation I get a pain in my stomach...........not only to have missed damien in a cave but our cruise along the coast from trondheim to the lofoten islands was going to be the experience of a lifetime.........I knew every mile of that coast after studying it so much lol

but alas we went to puerto vallarta instead............the dude gave me most of my dough back but he still has five grand so I guess there is some motivation to get there.........private charters along the coast of norway though are so 2007 it isn't funny however!! lol
Old 06-17-2010, 08:12 PM   #19
Rai
Eskimontologist

I think I have to agree with my fellow david. Musicians should, you know, release some music from now and again. It's not a pressure thing, it's just what they generally do, that's what makes them musicians and not extreme gardeners.

It does look as if Damien was living off his considerable fame that he gathered before he destroyed the band and trying not to work as long as he can while having loads of fun travelling around the world, doing all kinds of stuff that look good but are not that much of a hassle.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:26 PM   #20
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

I'm not gonna take sides but all I remember an interview with Damien talking about being a musician and he didn't exactly say he was sure if it was for him. He put out "O" for himself as he claims and just to see if people would be interested and they were... He put out 9 because he said he was pressured to some degree. He said he isn't sure if he'll be a musician tomorrow or doing something else the next day... To say what he is or isn't is just a waste of time because the man is just like a kid and he doesn't know what he wants to do... music is a part of his life but it's maybe not his calling... He knows he can use it to help him do things like bring attention to burma but i don't think labeling him as this or that will do anything for anyone... it is what it is and being a fan u can't be mad at someone for not doing something... Ya I want more but it's not our choice if he should make another album or not. Damien is a "Childish" man :P
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 08:52 PM   #21
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

thanks rai and well said...........always have enjoyed your posts btw

I don't think I have any anger toward damo...........just disappointment and increasing loss of interest as the years go by and by and by..............that said just as I try to write off the Cubs every year due to their ineptitudes I still find myself scanning box scores from the beginning of spring training lol

Last edited by davidcotyalex; 06-17-2010 at 09:02 PM.
Old 06-17-2010, 09:29 PM   #22
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

since we are all engaged as one happy family just had to shout out we just received our seat notice on 1/4 of the co-headline gigs we are attending this summer - jones beach section A row A - front row center baby!!

and all courtesy of davidgray.com...........say what you will about his music but there is no doubt he goes out of his way to appreciate his fans

WOOHOO!
Old 06-17-2010, 10:30 PM   #23
She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
haha thanks my dear!! how the heck have you been??!!

I have been round these parts long enough to know who is who on the board and no one can say I don't tell it like I see it - that is the way I am for good or for bad...........and marti I still love you bro! lol

yes every time I think about missing that vacation I get a pain in my stomach...........not only to have missed damien in a cave but our cruise along the coast from trondheim to the lofoten islands was going to be the experience of a lifetime.........I knew every mile of that coast after studying it so much lol

but alas we went to puerto vallarta instead............the dude gave me most of my dough back but he still has five grand so I guess there is some motivation to get there.........private charters along the coast of norway though are so 2007 it isn't funny however!! lol
im good thanks!..moved to the big smoke of london and work with these eejit musician types on the big scale 24/7...its been great but loaaaaads of work.. missing dublin tho and its whingie singer songwriters with their bloody issues ...thank god im still close enough so flying between the two a lot

puerta vallarta sounds bleeding nice and tbh with u i'd take a private charter along the coast of norway anytime like!!!i hope to hop over to iceland this year..ever since the volcano affair it just seems so exotic for some reason and u know they have bjork too

good to hear ur well and gearing up for the gigs!!! if ur ever in london following mr. gray's footsteps or not let me know like
Old 06-17-2010, 10:53 PM   #24
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by She'sAlwaysDressedInWhite View Post
im good thanks!..moved to the big smoke of london and work with these eejit musician types on the big scale 24/7...its been great but loaaaaads of work.. missing dublin tho and its whingie singer songwriters with their bloody issues ...thank god im still close enough so flying between the two a lot

puerta vallarta sounds bleeding nice and tbh with u i'd take a private charter along the coast of norway anytime like!!!i hope to hop over to iceland this year..ever since the volcano affair it just seems so exotic for some reason and u know they have bjork too

good to hear ur well and gearing up for the gigs!!! if ur ever in london following mr. gray's footsteps or not let me know like
haha will do and very nice on the relocation!!! speaking of whingie singer songwriters I really think you sdhould check out david ford - he is unreal - and has a gig at koko in london in july - it is sold out but I am sure someone with your tenacity could find a way in the door!!

nice to connect after so long......the years do float by don't they?!
Old 06-18-2010, 03:02 AM   #25
rachlanee
Eskimo Regular

As an artist, I understand what it is like to go through long periods of time not being able to paint anything. Sometimes even months or years. I don't think art should ever be forced. Look at how many musicians force music out just to get it out there, just for fame and fortune. Although I would love to hear a new album, I wouldn't want an album from one of my favorite artists just for the sake of releasing something to appease fans. That's not being true and unless you are shallow, you would see right through an album that is made just for the sake of putting yourself out there. Didn't he give a spontaneous concert in Colombia to help raise money for a water shortage? I think I even saw some pictures of Damien carrying buckets of water and helping out. I don't think that someone that wants to help others and give so much back is capable of being a lazy pothead that doesn't care for others. Even if Damien wrote the most horrible lyrics and had the worst voice, I would still respect and admire him as a human being. Enjoy your concerts in August, by the way.
rachlanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 07:13 AM   #26
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd View Post
I'm not gonna take sides but all I remember an interview with Damien talking about being a musician and he didn't exactly say he was sure if it was for him. He put out "O" for himself as he claims and just to see if people would be interested and they were... He put out 9 because he said he was pressured to some degree. He said he isn't sure if he'll be a musician tomorrow or doing something else the next day... To say what he is or isn't is just a waste of time because the man is just like a kid and he doesn't know what he wants to do... music is a part of his life but it's maybe not his calling... He knows he can use it to help him do things like bring attention to burma but i don't think labeling him as this or that will do anything for anyone... it is what it is and being a fan u can't be mad at someone for not doing something... Ya I want more but it's not our choice if he should make another album or not. Damien is a "Childish" man :P
I can see some has no respect for the human being and for the artist like if he owe you anything. dboy again I agree with you you cant be mad at someone for not giving what you want.if you don't like that he is not giving out music than you move on,right? I was in Iceland and he had many great songs for the next album,about 10,but it is his job,not ours to say when he should give it out and he said it very clear when asked about when the new album was coming " I don't know,maybe next year,maybe in 4 years,maybe never...I don't even know if I want to continuing with music" He can change his mind if he wants,of course. I don't get people getting angry because he is helping people and getting engaged with other things instead of sitting in a studio recording an album to calm down some extremist fans. That's why no matter what it takes I go to see him,because maybe tomorrow he decides not doing music anymore,but sure it was good for the time he was and he has the f.u.c.k.i.n.g right to decide when to stop. I love that he has the confidence and freedom to do things his way,not his fans or a label.
Old 06-18-2010, 02:04 PM   #27
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

I completely agree Rachlanee about forcing the art.........in thinking it through and engaging with others on Ray's board I do think Gossip was forced......the result of RCA pushing Ray toward more "commercial" success and Ray saw right through that I think in hindsight........why I am so looking forward to this hopeful new release

Of course on the surface it looks all great and what a guy he is etc etc for these little projects.........but call it the cynic in me as it gleans of hollow hollywood humanitiarian efforts - is this a cameo or does he really care about these people and is following up etc? While I really don't know my hunch is on the former........

And Amie I am sorry but I cannot understand half of what you say.......and I don't think it is English as a first language issue just more in reference to the rambling style..........but I do know that you are the only one on here getting all in a tizzy and swearing as such.......yeah probably a twinge of anger from a selfish perspective of not getting more from Damien but the original intent of the post was to simply point out this guy really doesn't have a pure love of music............and again one man's opinion

And thanks on the good wishes at the gigs......I cannot believe what a dream come true this tour will be....both my wife and just adore david and ray and have traveled wide to see them both.....on the same stage the same night??!! Wow.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:58 PM   #28
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
And Amie I am sorry but I cannot understand half of what you say.......and I don't think it is English as a first language issue just more in reference to the rambling style..........but I do know that you are the only one on here getting all in a tizzy and swearing as such.......yeah probably a twinge of anger from a selfish perspective of not getting more from Damien but the original intent of the post was to simply point out this guy really doesn't have a pure love of music............and again one man's opinion
You probably have issues trying to understand anything that disagree with your arrogant and insane opinion.I can understand people upset for him not giving out a new album,but to judge an artist from it is completely over the top. If you have doubts about his love for music and that he genuinely cares about people and the environment than I think you should consider forgetting about him. You are the only one here pointing out that he "doesn't have a pure love of music"...who are you to say that anyway?? who are you to judge him? go enjoy your summer concerts and leave the guy alone. You sound more like a frustrated person for me.
Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM   #29
Cerque
Resident Irishman

I have sort of given up on Damien to be honest. Although I do not agree on David with a lot of things I think Damien needs to just tell us what he is doing or just ****ing cop on with himself. It is a bit selfish. We have been waiting ****ing months.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 04:10 PM   #30
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerque View Post
I have sort of given up on Damien to be honest. Although I do not agree on David with a lot of things I think Damien needs to just tell us what he is doing or just ****ing cop on with himself. It is a bit selfish. We have been waiting ****ing months.
I agree that he could be selfish,but who isn't? it looks "worse" because he is an artist and have people expecting something from him. You cant go around judging people for what they are or even worse for what you think they are.