Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Other Music > Other Music

Old 12-18-2003, 02:42 AM   #1
My Revelate
Eskimo Friend

Anyone seen or heard of Martin Ryan / Joe Carey Jnr.

They are two Cork acts around at the moment and their amazing.

Martin Is very similiar to Damien in music and song writing, I saw him twice in the lobby and it reminded so much of Damien when he started.Unreal voice and even better acoustic guitaring.

Joe is an amazing performer.His music style is like Jamiroqui crossed with David grey with a bit of jazz.His band are unreal and melodies of his songs are excellent.

If you ever get a chance to hear any of them play, run to it.

I think its the best time to hear someones music is when they are really un discovered.

Anyone else got any gigs they would recommend...[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]

Old 12-18-2003, 04:03 AM   #2
Illusions
Eskimo Regular

i would recommened josh ritter. he's not undiscovered anymore, and i'm sure some people here have gone to some of his shows, but not you should. they are a lot of fun. i love his music and he shows such love of playing.
Illusions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:26 AM   #3
My Revelate
Eskimo Friend

I'd agree that Josh Is excellent but josh have moved on to big venues. No more Half moon for josh its places like the Everyman Palace and Cork opera house in feb.

There are amazing upcoming singer songwriters playing around all our streets and bars.It be great if they got a bit of support or a mention.
Old 12-18-2003, 06:37 AM   #4
eskimocat
Eskimo Friend

check out the Lir Reunion at whelans on the 27th (this month)
going to be a hoot!

and defo go check out david hopkins.... download some songs from here: www.davidhopkins.net
class act!
eskimocat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:31 PM   #5
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

you should really check out Martin Finke from Clifden, he's a real poet when it comes to songs.. a real talent.

But if you're looking for something more commercial like the Damien Rice/Jeff Buckley, then Emmett Tinley from the Prayer Boat is the guy to watch. he's long awaited solo album is due out next year.. or sometime before the next Ice Age.
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2003, 06:34 PM   #6
Tracey
Eskimo Friend

nah ye should all go and see a dublin band called stand seen 'em 3 times they're brilliant or a galway based dude called emmett o'malley (mali) also brilliant[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2003, 02:27 AM   #7
My Revelate
Eskimo Friend

Martin finke is excellent.Uses the most decriptive lyrics showing his honesty and struggle. Untendered stories is a great album and a must for every damo fan.
Old 12-19-2003, 04:32 AM   #8
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

Songs from a parlour showcases the best talent in dublin in a small intimate venue where u can enjoy a pint and not hear some idiot talking during a gig... above the stags head last thursday of every month featuring bands like alphastates,the chapters,stranded circusand and even bell x1 made an appearance... But dont bother coming if ur not there to appreciate good music & talk...Edited by: Jeweller

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2003, 06:50 PM   #9
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Revelate

Anyone seen or heard of Martin Ryan / Joe Carey Jnr.
I've seen the Martin Ryan Band and yes they were very, very good, they had a great violinist playing with them.. it was in the Sirius Arts Centre in Cobh, playing support to Mark Geary. I was looking foward to hearing more from them but the lady from Sirius told me that Martin has since moved to Australia so that puts a bit of a dampner on that then [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2003, 10:24 AM   #10
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Things I like that you may not have heard of:

Mr. Creosote

Channel 1. - My mates brothers band, only 2 gigs under their belt but surprisingly good in spite of it, interesting mix of guitar and electronica, someone told them they were a bit like the mars volta, they've never heard them but thats cool. They play the hub sometime next month.
Old 12-21-2003, 12:10 PM   #11
TiptoeMushroom
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Revelate

I'd agree that Josh Is excellent but josh have moved on to big venues. No more Half moon for josh its places like the Everyman Palace and Cork opera house in feb.

There are amazing upcoming singer songwriters playing around all our streets and bars.It be great if they got a bit of support or a mention.

must agree there, the halk moon is one great venue here in cork.... love it.
Old 12-22-2003, 07:21 AM   #12
My Revelate
Eskimo Friend

Ya, the Halfmoon Rocks for Gigs. Saw Bellx1 there over a week ago, it was an un real gig.Always a great atmosphere.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]