Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 02-27-2004, 03:08 AM   #1
Ubik
Eskimo Friend

hey there,

i haven't been posting much lately because life's been very difficult but i went to the show yesterday night at ANCIENNE BELGIQUE and wanted to let you know.

when they played in brussels 4 months ago, it was at the ORANGERIE, a place that held 300 people. they have moved to ANCIENNE BELGIQUE and there were about 2,000 people there yesterday night. i don't know what happened, they were supposed to play the BOX that holds only 800 people. i guess the demand for tickets was huge.

the show was very good, i loved it. they played, (not in order, almost) delicate to open, face (yeah, i was hoping to hear this song life), volcano, canonball (with lisa on the electric guitar !!), the blower's daughter (end of the first and only encore), cold water, older chests, eskimo (very very nice) remember (wow, the instrumental part in the end has developped into something) prague, the professor la fille danse, woman like a man, 9 crimes (with vyvienne on piano, and some other songs i forgot. and there was one song i didn't know, with some lyrics with "what a fool i am... ?? for lovin you... ?? what's that song ?

at my first show i was standing somewhere in front of shane, this time i knew where i had to stand, i was there early and got front row right in front of vyvienne. and it was the good spot to be. i swear to god, several times, vyvienne looked at me and she smiled... jesus what kind of a looser am I, going to a show and hoping for a smile from the cello player... but i swear she did. and you know what it is like when vyvienne smiles, it's like the sun goes up, it's all bright suddenly, i love it.

but some things seemed wrong too with the show. it was shorter then the other one. lisa didn't sing on la fille danse and she didn't even came out for the encore, although there was the blower's daughter. damien took her part and tried to take a high voice. unfortunately his voice is nothing like lisa's. why didn't she come out for the encore ? there was no solo vyvienne either...

my respect goes out the respectful brussels audience. i don't know how it sounded on other spots in the audience but where i was, you could hear everything from the stage, 2,000 people absolutely no problem with too much crowd noise, amazing. it reminded me of the tom mcrae gig in october at the cirque royal.i love the audiences in brussels

oh yeah, damien changed the last line of the blower's daughter into... until i fix this broken shoe... ) that was the very last verse of the whole show

and i am more and more impressed with tomo's rythms. at the first show i thought this guy is good, now i am thinkin he's a genius and it's so much fun to watch him play.maybe for the next time, i'll have to mov to the right side of the stage... that will be hard though

i loved josh ritter too, better then joel sheerer in october.

that was a very inspiring gig. i always know when a gig was good when, in the next moring i feel i can change life. when i see these type of concerts, and these musicians, it inspires me to always give the best of myself in any situation in life, never to be satisfied with mediocrity. this morning, like every morning, i had to walk a mile through the countryside to get from the edge of my village to the train station at the edge of the next town and the landscape was all white because of the snow and the freezing of the night. it was all beautiful and i had this feeling that says : it's possible, man, you can do it, life can be worth living and everybody has the means to realise his potential. my thanks go out to the whole band for giving me this feeling.

so yeah, that's it, i am just hoping they won't move to forest national for the next show

ubik

Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 03:19 AM   #2
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Nice review Ubik, thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubik
that was a very inspiring gig. i always know when a gig was good when, in the next moring i feel i can change life. when i see these type of concerts, and these musicians, it inspires me to always give the best of myself in any situation in life, never to be satisfied with mediocrity. this morning, like every morning, i had to walk a mile through the countryside to get from the edge of my village to the train station at the edge of the next town and the landscape was all white because of the snow and the freezing of the night. it was all beautiful and i had this feeling that says : it's possible, man, you can do it, life can be worth living and everybody has the means to realise his potential. my thanks go out to the whole band for giving me this feeling.

I know what you mean by life being difficult and how music and experiences such as great gigs can give youstrength... Ican't wait to be in 17 days and to see the bandperform. [img]smileys/smiley31.gif[/img]Edited by: Patricia
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:15 AM   #3
schaap
Eskimo Baby

Hello Ubik , i was there too. I had seen Damien Rica @ Pukkelpop festival in Kiewit. (that's when i saw him the first time) , and then i started listening to his music , and yesterday i went to the concert.

First of all , there was too much crowd there , i mean .if you compare it to pukkelpop there were like 50 people there , in a tent , with grass at your feet. But then again , the concert@ pukkelpop was so great and leaved such an impression on me , that i expected the same. But there he was solo , so without the band

The Drummer rocked , i really liked to see him play , he enjoys his drumming talents so much

And last but not least : is lisa always so 'non enthousiastic'?
schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:21 AM   #4
Patricia
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaap

Oh, no!!! Well... I've neverseen the band live yet [img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img], but from what I've heard and read, she's normally great!
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:35 AM   #5
Scon
Eskimo Regular

Fix this broken shoe?

Hmmm.

You walk in shoes. If your shoe is broken you'll have difficulties in walking.
Difficulties in walking means you're finding it hard to progress onwards - such as more and more people coming to shows and what that leads onto.

But he wants to fix it. Not sit down. He needs to find a way to make this more comfortable because it's anything but at the moment.

Yep, I read way too much into that one [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Scon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 04:50 AM   #6
Ubik
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by schaap

well the other time i saw her yes. she seemd rather the melancolic type of girl. i wouldn't call it nonenthousiastic because she seems to put her entire life in her voice.maybe it takes a certain amount of sadness inside you to be able to sing this way. you know... the "did your mother have you easily" type of sadness.

isn't she beautiful though ?anyone noticed how her earmic got mixed up with her hair during the last part of volcano and she was desperately trying to getit out.i could feel all the guys around me thinkin : shouldn't I get up on that stage and give a little help ? )

and don't expect to ever see damien riceplaying before 50 persons again, not in belgium,anymore. i realised that when, after josh ritter left, i took a look behind me and saw the whole ancienne belgique had filled up. i know that feeling you have. i had that with coldplay a coupe of years ago. i saw them in a small tent at pukkelpop in 2000, just after the release of parachutes, limp bizkit was preparing to enter the main stage so there was nobody to see coldplay and 3 months laterthey already filled the whole ancienne belgique too.

u.Edited by: Ubik
Old 02-27-2004, 06:26 AM   #7
schaap
Eskimo Baby

life isn't fair , next year i'm going to live in costa rica for a year , hopefully , damien throws a gig there
schaap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2004, 10:50 AM   #8
BlowersSon
Eskimo Baby

Non enthousiastic? Some things seemed wrong too with the show? It was shorter then the other one? Lisa didn'teven came out for the encore?

It seems the band had some good fun with the Dutchies on the previous night, I guess![img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
BlowersSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2004, 11:08 AM   #9
Lore
Eskimo Baby

Hey

I also, was at the AB thursday, it was the first time I saw Damien live, but I must say, it was amazing. I knew they were good, but that good..

Next year I'm going away also, but South Africa then. It would be great if he comes to SA between august and july, but it is rather unlikely...
Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2004, 03:40 AM   #10
Kailin
Eskimo Friend

I was there last friday as well. And yes it was an amazing show, but not as special as his gig at Botanique ... That was just ... unbelievable. And yes, what was wrong withLisa? Where was she? Pity she didn't come back for the encores!

I've written a review on the ab-gig, if anyone 's interested in reading it:

This is the direct link to the dutch
version of the article:
http://www.cuttingedge.be/reviews/gi...ice040226.html
And this one will lead you to the English version:
http://www.cuttingedge.be/reviews/gi...40226_eng.html

Old 03-01-2004, 01:27 AM   #11
Ubik
Eskimo Friend

hey kailin,

i am 100% with you and your review and the difference with the botanique show, which was one of my favourite all 2003 gig. you know, there is no time like the first time...

u.
Old 03-01-2004, 06:53 AM   #12
Kailin
Eskimo Friend

thanx for reading and reacting !

And yeah, the gig @botanique was indeed one of the best gigs of last year!
Old 03-01-2004, 02:24 PM   #13
ayco
Eskimo Regular

Yeah, the gig in the Botanique was great.
I really liked the little cozy venue there better...
I still liked the gigThursday a lot, but ehm... it just wasn't the same.
Just not as brilliant... [still pretty damn good though]
ayco is offline   Reply With Quote