Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-20-2015, 04:25 AM   #1
Undocorkscrew
Eskimo Friend

Default "I Don't Want to Change Her"

He's definitely sneaking in the word "her" in the second chorus, right? I know he likes to do that from time to time. Like the final chorus of "Rootless Tree."

Also, how much of a laugh is he having with these lyrics? We all know that there's plenty of humor underneath the heartbreak and drama of his songs and some of these lines can seem quite humorous. I'm sure a lot of you know which ones I'm referring to. And can someone explain the "I just came across a manger" line? I know the definition of "manger", but fail to see how it applies here. And I think I know what this is about, but to be sure can someone give me an explanation for the "If love is not for fun then it's doomed cause water races down" bit?

What a gorgeous song. That final line kills me. Shame the video doesn't include the first verse and chorus.
Undocorkscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 02:21 AM   #2
gracielizz
Eskimo Baby

So I took "manger" as just meaning a safe and comforting person or place. But considering the "somewhere in a stranger's eyes" part, I'd assume he means he found comfort in that person.

I took the "If love is not for fun then it's doomed" to mean that if a relationship is constantly a battle and both people aren't happy, then it can never last. I took "water" as a metaphor for life, meaning that life goes by so quickly just like water down a waterfall. So basically, life is too short to spend your time on a failing relationship.

But take these with a grain of salt! I have no idea what he meant but those are the simplest explanations I can think of.
gracielizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
glo32
Eskimo Regular

I agree with everything gracielizz said, apart from this: "So basically, life is too short to spend your time on a failing relationship" - well, while we can all agree with that too, I don't think that's what those particular lyrics are trying to say.
"If love is not for fun then it's doomed, cause water races water races down the waterfall" - I think he feels doomed because he's in a failing relationship, and he's maybe feeling that life is passing by while he's always hanging in the past or something...

This could be one of the songs where Damien is actually speaking to himself, rather than another person. I mean, the "stranger" he finds a "manger" in, could as well be him.
Like, saying, love has let him down, life is still going on, and among the "danger" outside (other people) he found himself
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote