The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 03-13-2011, 08:26 PM   #1
TN_Hibee
Eskimo Baby

Default Any info on this song?

As it says in the title..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c_pqbUAi9Js

edit: oh and i just realised that was my first post here.. been lurking for ages.
hello everyone

Last edited by TN_Hibee; 03-13-2011 at 08:28 PM.
TN_Hibee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 08:45 PM   #2
verenita
... trusty and true ...

he played that song when he was at trinity college for a bit of talking after plating trees in Dartmouth Square, back in september 2009,
here´s a review:
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
sorry for the late update:

before the concert, two blokes told us to take care of our bowels! haha and then there was a short lecture on climate change accompanied by a cello.

then it was damien's turn. he talked about his view on global warming and on the environment in general. he said one time someone asked him what he did for a living and the only thing he can say was: " i manufacture plastic and emit tons of carbon ... like he can literally burn the whole chapel down by the fossil fuels he burns through his tours. And then after that he mentioned making an album in collaboration with other artists, like musicians and actors, around the globe that will give back something to nature. Then he sang What this night is for. Amazing, haven't really listened to this song before, but wow!

Then he mentioned feeling guilty with being a touring musician, and all that (probably a subtle answer to "where the hell have you been damien??") and he said when he made o, he never really thought about doing a second record and he didn't want to be responsible financially to his bandmates, like when they started to talk about mortgaging and stuff, he told them he couldn't be some kind of machine that will produce and produce stuff constantly. so he said he gave them notice that they can do whatever they want cos he may not be putting out a record soon or as soon as they expect him to be. maybe that explains some things (?) hehehe..

he sang amie, with the naughty intro as per usual, he even said : "so i cleaned myself up in the bathroom after enjoying and spending time alone with myself"... to which everybody gasped.. and then he said "oh, did he really have to say that?...no, no, i'm innocent, i don't know whats running through your heads...) hahaha! he also sang delicate, and blowers daughter with creep, la fille danse and a new song, which i think is a bit about the world and the environment. he even asked us to tap the soles of our shoes and clap and all that for sound effect. it's a fantastic song, will try to upload it to youtube if i have time.

he encouraged everyone to ask questions. i'll just summarise his answers:

- he doesn't regret one bit that he didn't finish engineering and became a musician instead!

-the piece of literature that inspired him most is the line "can you absolutely know the truth?" or something like that cos he said he doesn't really know what he's doing half the time, and that he had said things and done things in the past that really didn't mean... hmmm...

-he has had his guitar for ages (obviously!) and that he put varnish on it now to prevent it from disintegrating more.

He's just really happy and he looks healthy by the way. He really loved the planting the tree thing and he also mentioned going to tuscany and trying to become a farmer, and when he went there after leaving his trinity mates/juniper, he only had 250 euros and everybody told him he wouldn't survive but he did find a house when he asked someone on the bus or something. he's just really chatty and sometimes goes off in tangents with the question but he's just ya know, him. he also said the music industry wants to make stars all of the time and he didn't want that, he just wanted to be himself and like everybody else. when somebody took him up on this and asked him for a cup of coffee after the concert he said, well...we'll all have a pint later for arthur's day, so maybe i'll see you all.
And he did! My sis went to the pub with him and the others, she said he's just floating around and having fun. So there ya go guys...
from this thread.

very welcome and enjoy
Old 03-18-2011, 02:49 AM   #3
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

hello and welcome!

probably my favourite damien song to date, and im glad there isnt a new album, im glad he doesnt play it over and over and over.. i hope its never released!

Beauty

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
cille
creepycute

Hello, and thanks for reminding us of this tune. It's quite nice yeah.