Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 03-24-2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Nine
Inuit

Default I Remember cover finally up!

I have finally completed my 7 minute I Remember cover... eek!

tis on my myspace:

www.myspace.com/hollierogersonline

I'm not totally happy with the vocals yet, but for now this is it. I hope you like it, do let me know what you think - any comments/critisisms greatly appreciated as always.

xx
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:18 PM   #2
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

Hey. I like this. i did think from the first line the vocals were just lacking somehting, i dunno, they just didtn cut me straight away. but you definalty havea good voice, and its all sung quite nicely.

The down down down bit didnt sound heart felt hurting enough, it was too. i dunno, american pop idol stuff for me lol. by the way, the guitar work is great. But id say the whole of the angry portion of this song lacks enough anger to really make it boom! out. but yeah. definatlly good.

I got a song posted up. but it was late and the quality of the recording is awfull.
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:36 PM   #3
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmcgrail
I got a song posted up. but it was late and the quality of the recording is awfull.
No plugging on the plug-ma-tray
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2007, 11:54 PM   #4
Nine
Inuit

thanks Rob - I definitely know what you mean. I just don't think I was really 'feeling it' on the day I recorded those vocals. I'm thinking of going back to the studio to redo em, cos whenever I listen I feel like it has much more potential that it's got currently. It doesn't make me go 'ooooh,' yknow?

hehe Timee you funny ol' thing. Where's this track then Rob, your myspace?
x

PS Tim, I want you to draw me a picture. No, wait, you MUST draw me a picture. That is an order. I want an eskimo award.
Old 03-24-2007, 11:59 PM   #5
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine
PS Tim, I want you to draw me a picture. No, wait, you MUST draw me a picture. That is an order. I want an eskimo award.
Intriuging. Of what? I am available as of right now.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:01 AM   #6
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
Intriuging. Of what? I am available as of right now.
Surprise me! I saw all your other ones yesterday, they were great - cracked me up
Old 03-25-2007, 12:03 AM   #7
Timeé
Intello

Okalley. Out comes the colouring pencils. I'll draw two. But neither shall refer to you.
Old 03-25-2007, 12:05 AM   #8
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Okalley. Out comes the colouring pencils. I'll draw two. But neither shall refer to you.
hehehe score! I can't wait!
Old 03-25-2007, 12:44 AM   #9
Timeé
Intello

Default Here ya go. Very Vague unless you're open minded.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:03 AM   #10
Nine
Inuit

Quote:

hahahhhaa crikey boy you make me laugh so - where's my printer......

thanks!
x
Old 03-25-2007, 02:13 AM   #11
ahnmin
ar-TISTE

Default wow

i'm so impressed with it. you were actually able to pull it off by retaining the original nature of the song while still adding your own flavors into it. you even did his looping part he does live! awesome.
ahnmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 02:19 AM   #12
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnmin
i'm so impressed with it. you were actually able to pull it off by retaining the original nature of the song while still adding your own flavors into it. you even did his looping part he does live! awesome.
thanks mate you're dogs cover was superb, especially considering the odd tuning milarkey... You did a great job of working out a standard tuning version - i've been meaning to do that for ages. I think your right in saying Damien plays it in DADGAD.
Old 03-25-2007, 02:43 AM   #13
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

I enjoyed it. I agree with the vocals, I won't say they weren't good, because that's not true, but I think that "I think you can do better" most adequately expresses what I think about them. If I may express one concern, the guitar, though played exquisitely I must say, was a bit too "tight" with regards to time for me. What I mean is that Damien often plays it with a very "loose" tempo, one that wanders to and fro if you will, and I think that really helps capture the song. It seems a bit odd to say that staying in time is in any way detracting, but hopefully you will understand what I'm saying. Don't get me wrong, though, I think you did a very fine job and you're very talented both at singing and playing.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 03:03 AM   #14
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyatt3
I enjoyed it. I agree with the vocals, I won't say they weren't good, because that's not true, but I think that "I think you can do better" most adequately expresses what I think about them. If I may express one concern, the guitar, though played exquisitely I must say, was a bit too "tight" with regards to time for me. What I mean is that Damien often plays it with a very "loose" tempo, one that wanders to and fro if you will, and I think that really helps capture the song. It seems a bit odd to say that staying in time is in any way detracting, but hopefully you will understand what I'm saying. Don't get me wrong, though, I think you did a very fine job and you're very talented both at singing and playing.
Thanks very much, that's a good point about the timing. It did corss my my mind, and so I made sure I didn't record it to a click - but the trouble was I couldn't 'wander' as much as may have liked to because I knew that both the cello and bongos had to be recorded at a later date - they weren't all done at the same time. So had I kept changing tempo, my cellist and bongo player would, I imagine have found it pretty hard to record their parts later on.
But yeah, I certainly agree with your point, and thanks very much for taking the time to listen

x
Old 03-25-2007, 09:40 AM   #15
robmcgrail
Lord of Lovely

yeah, its on my myspace. its posted up on theis forum, but everyone seems to be too busy with yoiur greatnesst o listen to my rubbish lol. And it is pretty rubbish recording wise.
robmcgrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #16
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

The guitar, cello, vocals etc were all fine... I just didn't believe you. It definitely felt like more of a "Stars In Their Eyes" job (that sounds harsher than it's meant to ) i.e. covering it for the sake of it, rather than covering it because the song means something to you or whatever. Maybe you disagree entirely, but personally I just feel you didn't connect with it.

I don't usually respond to these threads but anyway there's my €0.02
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 01:52 PM   #17
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closing_Doors
The guitar, cello, vocals etc were all fine... I just didn't believe you. It definitely felt like more of a "Stars In Their Eyes" job (that sounds harsher than it's meant to ) i.e. covering it for the sake of it, rather than covering it because the song means something to you or whatever. Maybe you disagree entirely, but personally I just feel you didn't connect with it.

I don't usually respond to these threads but anyway there's my €0.02
Thanks chum, Nah I would agree with you actually that that's how it sounds at the mo. But it certainly wasn't the case that I was covering it for the sake of it - it really does mean a great deal to me and that's why I wanted to cover it, but I can see that it doesn't sound that way right now. The vocals just aren't ummmm 'right' - yknow? They were done at the end of a very long and tiring day in the studio and I think I just wanted to get them over and done with, and unfortunately it shows. I hope I can redo em soonish

Rob - gunna listen now
Old 03-25-2007, 06:05 PM   #18
Calum
Eskimo Regular

You need distortion - fact! Seriously, it would really make an impact on the ending, and put some distortion on the vocals too and give it some more angst; you have a lot more power than that, i know you do.
The first part was great though.
Old 03-25-2007, 07:05 PM   #19
Delonelyman
Eskimo Friend

Wink

Well this is a dificult song to be covered. The voice it`s not bad, but for this song it`s so hard, i mean the first part must be softly, maybe it`s cause your tone is more low. I think there are no feeling when you sing it. Sorry for that, but i think you must play your own songs to try to get that. Anyway you have a very good voice, a rocker voice , so go and conect your electric guitar and make some noise.
Good Luck, and thanks for put it up.

By the way " I remember " it`s my favorite Damien song!!!

Last edited by Delonelyman; 03-25-2007 at 08:02 PM.
Delonelyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2007, 09:21 PM   #20
happy2bhere
Eskimo Regular

Have heard your stuff before, its very, very good - but wasn't really feelin it with the i remember cover. Can't quite put my finger on it. I don't think that it was anything that you did or didn't do, just that it requires two very different voices to pull it off. A difficult song for one person to sing. Just my opinion. Hope i haven't offended, i really like you're other stuff.

TIMEE - More art please!
happy2bhere is offline   Reply With Quote