Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Musician Stuff

Old 01-29-2009, 12:57 AM   #1
Nine
Inuit

Default New Track on my myspace page

Hay Guise

Just to let you know I've put a new track up on my myspace page at:

www.myspace.com/hollierogersonline

The song isn't actually that new, we've been playing it since about April last year, and some people might have heard an early version of it on a video session I did for routenote.com - but it's not on the album and we don't have a studio recording of it, this is a live recording from a recent gig. It's called 'Shoes'.

Would be good to know what you think! Thank you :-)

Hollie x
Old 01-29-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Guise, as is disguise right?
Ahhh i love this song!
Fantastic stuff, you working on any new material at the moment Hollie?
Old 01-30-2009, 12:14 AM   #3
verenita
... trusty and true ...

yes, i´ve heard it before... and i think it´s brilliant.
i think you played it when you did that (radio, maybe?) interview.
i really like the song... and somehow, i feel related to it.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:35 PM   #4
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^I think you're right Vere. I have heard it before too. Good stuff Hollie!!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 01-30-2009 at 03:37 PM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 05:06 PM   #5
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Guise, as is disguise right?
Ahhh i love this song!
Fantastic stuff, you working on any new material at the moment Hollie?
Guise is my silly way of spelling guys, yup

thanks Calum. Well I've had a rather frustrating dry spell for the last 11 months actually, since I wrote Shoes and another one called I Don't Need The Money. It's been really driving me nuts, everything I wrote was just pants and went nowhere. But I have just written a new one, literally 3 days ago, called 'Beethoven' - so maybe the drought is over... but i don't want to speak too soon...

I'm thinking about the second album at the moment - but as it stands I don't have enough tracks and certainly won't be doing it til end of this year/beginning of the next - depends how it goes.

I'm glad you like the song anyhoo - and yes V you're right I think I did play it on a radio session - i'd forgotten that!!

xx
Old 01-30-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Calum
Eskimo Regular

Well then, let the silence commence immediately so that you can write some more material! How about trying to change the scenery in which you write? These days i find most of my ideas come in the form of sentences or short passages of music in my head, then i just have to remember them or jot them down for when i get home.
So perhaps that will help you? x
Old 01-31-2009, 04:39 PM   #7
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calum View Post
Well then, let the silence commence immediately so that you can write some more material! How about trying to change the scenery in which you write? These days i find most of my ideas come in the form of sentences or short passages of music in my head, then i just have to remember them or jot them down for when i get home.
So perhaps that will help you? x
Oh i dunno. nothing seems to work when I'm have a dry patch - I don't tend to take my inspiration from my physical surroundings/environment, more from actual events that happen in my life. and recently life has gotten really good and i'm very happy - and, i know it's cliched to say - but it's so much easier to write stuff about depressing things, i don't know why! That said, the new one is a happy one, so maybe i'm learning eh.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Canadian Island
Eskimo Regular

a friend of mine once said

"happiness doesn't write"

and i think it's true.

the more down you are, the more your mind circulates around what really matters to you and the essence is or can be a depressing, but very touching and sometimes very good song. and if you put your heart and soul into it, you get a relief. some people call it the "damo law", haha! i mean, come on... do you think someone who's happy could write a song like "accidental babies"? art is not fun, it is suffering. even more so when you recognize you can be productive when you **** up everything and then do that intentionally just to be productive. does that make any sense? i don't know. all i can say after 3 years of songwriting is: don't try to write something you don't feel. and if it is only dark depressing a-minor stuff you are able to write, then do that. happiness will get to you when you share the songs.
Canadian Island is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 09:49 PM   #9
Cerque
Resident Irishman

Soul splintering stuff there.
Cerque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 PM   #10
philbo
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Island View Post
a friend of mine once said

"happiness doesn't write"

and i think it's true.
i used to. not anymore. i've written most of my songs of late while being incredibly happy, and laughing my ass off! just listen to more funk
philbo is offline   Reply With Quote