Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-02-2003, 01:45 PM   #1
thejoker56
Eskimo Baby

Damo says he writes his songs when he isnt trying to write i know the origin of eskimo which is:He had given up on song writing for a period of time and when he picked up his guitar after a cold streak his fingers were in the first chord of eskimo.He happened to be depressed at the time and was writing lyrics of how he looked to his "eskimo friend" when hes blue

If any1 knows the origin of any of his other songs it would be much appreciated.[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2003, 01:47 PM   #2
tj
Phono Vox

Yeah, that would be nice.

I had a whole list from a website once but I can't seem to find it!
Old 11-03-2003, 02:43 PM   #3
tj
Phono Vox

Well these aren't exactly how he wrote them, more how they were inspired and how he recorded them.

Damien Rice is a young Irish singer/songwriter whose debut album 'O' is a distinct, very beautiful and remarkable highlight of the album release year. Here Rice talks about the album.

"Almost two years have passed since I started working on this record, and the picture I had in my head back then is very different to the one I have ended up with now. I fought and eventually surrendered. 'O' recorded itself, I obeyed."

"The album opens so quietly you barely notice. My favourite song at the moment is 'Delicate'. It and 'Volcano' were recorded live on the wooden mezzanine floor with the slanted roof, in a midnight session, while neighbours slept. They had to go first on the album because it was the last and most poignant session we had during the recording."

"'The Blowers Daughter' I recorded solo in the same room a good couple of months earlier in a necessary moment; again live and click-less. The cello went down later. The fourth song 'Cannonball' was different. The guitars went down first, layer after layer. I left this song aside for months without a vocal take. Lisa told me to finish it, so I did. I remember writing 'Older Chests' in a friend's apartment beside Christchurch as the bells were ringing. One day I recorded a demo kneeling on the floor with two mics leaning on shoes pointing in my direction. I sang the song. Months later, when I got into the studio I couldn't improve on the performance, even with all my new gear. So I used the demo on the album. The street children are from St. Brigids in Celbridge; I stood there as they poured out of school, some looking strangely at me with a microphone in my hand."

"David Arnold transformed 'Amie'. It started out in 4/4, he made some suggestions, and it ended up in 6/8 with a string arrangement that still causes me to breathe deep. Reminds me of the day I lay by a radiator by a big window, stared at the sky and asked for a sign."

"Probably the most spontaneous recording on the whole album is 'Cheers Darlin'. The night it happened I was still un-sober when I got home, set up the studio, looped some noises and a sad guitar part, grabbed the mic and sang. Whatever came out in that instant went down. The words just fell out, and I love listening back thinking, 'that was 3am on that night'. Then I went to visit Jean in Paris, set up some mics over his piano, played him the song and I pressed record while he casually improvised along, finishing the song."

"'Cold Water'… when ill and brushing death we sometimes get very focused and sometimes, all of a sudden, religious. No past, no future, just now. Desperate, lost. I spent some time alone in an abbey in the South of France with a monk who composed Gregorian Chants, perhaps influencing this song."

"I remember very well walking home from the GAA club in Celbridge alone, one cold night, writing 'I Remember'. Passers-by staring, probably assuming I was drunk. I was freezing and had to keep going so I wouldn't forget the words. I was elated."

"The album, like a gig, finishes with 'Eskimo', the hardest song on the album to record because I had done it before, a couple of years back in Windmill Lane recording studios; in an energy-charged couple of days with an orchestra and an opera singer. The recording rights were not mine, so I had to do it all over again. The worst thing to do when recording is to compare and, of course, I compared. Drove myself mad at this song, until I stopped."

"Something turned and then time said I was finished."

"And so I was."

"And so it is, nothing like I said it would be..."

Old 11-03-2003, 04:08 PM   #4
tis_me_Tania
Eskimo Regular

wow.. very nice tj! and those pics.. i almost forgot to read the content there for a sec there!nice!
tis_me_Tania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 05:21 PM   #5
thejoker56
Eskimo Baby

Thanks tj Nice pics! Oh and if u have the hyperlink to the site that article was on could u post it? Thanks[img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 07:37 AM   #6
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

He lives in that t-shirt with the star on it!!!!I know what I'm getting him for christmas anyway haha![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 08:10 AM   #7
Ubik
Eskimo Friend

http://www.shakenstir.co.uk/feature....6992757d87070d
Ubik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:40 AM   #8
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionna
He lives in that t-shirt with the star on it!!!!I know what I'm getting him for christmas anyway haha![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
...and a new jacket, please! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img] Do you know his size? Medium, I'd say.
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 05:50 PM   #9
thejoker56
Eskimo Baby

Thanks[img]smileys/smiley16.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2003, 05:54 PM   #10
deklin
Eskimo Friend

can i just ask. and excuse my ignorance but why do you have a picture of The Revs as your signature?

from the movie 'Kill Bill'
deklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:05 PM   #11
patch22
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionna
they sell them in top man.....well they used too...
i got 2 of em for christmas last year...
patch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2003, 06:51 AM   #12
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Top man eh?Now we know where he shops haha!New jacket too so oh and a belt!He has to get rid of that piece of string he uses sometime or later[img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2003, 12:01 PM   #13
Angela
Eskimo Regular

I thought we had already decided for him to keep the rope? We don't want him to look like he *belongs* on US TV, 'ya know! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2003, 02:03 PM   #14
tj
Phono Vox

Quote:
Originally Posted by deklin
can i just ask. and excuse my ignorance but why do you have a picture of The Revs as your signature?

I do publicity for them from time to time.

I think they could do some great things in the future..

I know there singles are pretty sh*te but give their 'SucK' album a listen and you might find they have improved, on both their lyrics and playing.

Old 11-06-2003, 03:16 PM   #15
VolcanoLola
Eskimo Friend

So, is Damien saying that when he wrote "Cold Water" that he was sick and on the verge of death??? [img]smileys/smiley6.gif[/img]Edited by: VolcanoLola
Old 11-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #16
tj
Phono Vox

He might have been writing it from someone elses point of view...
Old 11-06-2003, 03:55 PM   #17
Sionna
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angela
I thought we had already decided for him to keep the rope? We don't want him to look like he *belongs* on US TV, 'ya know! [img]smileys/smiley2.gif[/img]
Okay so the rope stays[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2003, 04:37 PM   #18
cartman
Eskimo Regular

Rice wrote cold water becuase he when he was young he used to have nighmares of drowning, that is his fear ppl

he tohught he was gonna die..

oo and i live in top shop over all spen about 2grand in the last 2 years there,

then the rest on all my flares,

im a reall Hippy [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
Old 11-06-2003, 04:39 PM   #19
tj
Phono Vox

Yeah Topshop is a good shop now, I have to say.
Old 11-06-2003, 04:40 PM   #20
tj
Phono Vox

Oh and Cartman, thanks for the real meaning of Cold Water..

Did you get my email dude?
Old 11-06-2003, 04:42 PM   #21
cartman
Eskimo Regular

nope not afaik,

will check now and reply

Old 11-06-2003, 11:18 PM   #22
timskimo
Eskimo Friend

I have more info on the recording of Cheers Darlin'. I read it in an interview somewhere on the internet. He says he was at a bar, drunk and all that and A woman was flirting with him and it went on as Damien was drinking. finally a man walked in and the woman said that the man was her date or boyfriend or whatever, So when Damien got home herecorded himself playing sad chords and picked up some glasses and clanged them together.He made up the lyrics as he sang them. Great song written while drunk. Like a true Irishman!! Damien's the best.
Old 08-31-2006, 10:28 PM   #23
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

i love it! it's like a bitter drunkard. a few beers later "here's to you and your cu.nty tw.at face". thanks for moderation in drinking.