Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Lisa Hannigan > Lisa Hannigan

Old 12-08-2008, 07:47 PM   #1
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Default Lisa In London this Wednesday

is there any one else than me & borneoman who will be in london wednesday?
c'mon people, the show is sold out! there must be some eskimos somewhere
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 09:42 PM   #2
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuuliem View Post
is there any one else than me & borneoman who will be in london wednesday?
c'mon people, the show is sold out! there must be some eskimos somewhere
me and agonofinis (rob)

and two of our non-eskimo friends! :-)
Old 12-08-2008, 10:14 PM   #3
Calum
Eskimo Regular

I couldn't scrape together the cash to go; truly gutted.
Old 12-08-2008, 10:55 PM   #4
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

great! see you guys there!
anyone from london? do you know if the venue is far from picadilly circus? i have to catch a night bus to heathrow airport after the show. i'll try to hang out with you a and see the band a little bit

calum, sorry to hear that. couldnt you try to wait at the venue see if anyone has a spare ticket. or don't you have not enough to GO TO london
Old 12-09-2008, 10:26 AM   #5
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

does it start 7pm?????????? that's like super-early, isn't it??
Old 12-11-2008, 04:47 PM   #6
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Back home from the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Lisa gig as always She looked fantastic with her sparkling blue dress, red stockings & high boots She looked nervous when talking with the audience (not a lot of talking) but when singing/playing she was perfect!!

The place was kinda big, 500 people, but the sound was good. They played the full Sea Sew album + Blurry + Pirate Disco, and 3 covers, Lady is a Tramp (Lisa dedicated it to her mum), Tom Thumb Blues (Lisa dedicated it to her dad) and the final Free until they cut me down.

(as usual) I did steal the set list:

Lisa Hanigan
London Baby - St Johns Smith Church

Sea song
Splishy splashy
Venn diagram
Blurry
I don't know
My pirate disco
Pistachio
Tom thumbs blues
Courting blues
Ocean and a rock
Teeth
Lady is a tramp
Lille
---------
Keep it all
Free until they cut me down
Old 12-11-2008, 05:02 PM   #7
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

So she titled it "London Baby" cos she knew you'd be reading it!

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #8
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

He he probably

Forgot to mention that Gavin was the opening act, did 5-6 songs I think and talked faaaar more than Lisa.

and there was also a violinist woman, can't remember her name now... she seemed to be like an old acquitance that haven't played with them for a long time...

and after the show we waited for Lisa, but Una told us Lisa was busy with family and friends... so no meeting Lisa this time around
Old 12-11-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I believe the violinist played on the album

Old 12-11-2008, 06:07 PM   #10
RonjaGirl
Eskimo Regular

Here's another review from the Telegraph...

Quote:
Lisa Hannigan, St John's Smith Sq - review
Damien Rice collaborator steps into the spotlight

A couple of years ago, when I saw Damien Rice's unforgettable concert at the Hammersmith Apollo, a voice in the crowd shouted out: "Where's Lisa?"

Rice didn't respond, but we all knew who "Lisa" was: Lisa Hannigan, the Irish singer whose vocal accompaniment was such an exquisite foil for Rice's voice on his albums O and 9, and who worked similar magic as Rice's regular partner on stage.

So where is Lisa? Well, she's been working on her solo career for a while now, and is about to release her first album, Sea Sew, which comes out in January (look out for the distinctive sleeve, which she crocheted herself).

A taster of what to expect was provided in this show at St John's Church in Westminster, a lovely, elegant venue which, for an hour or so, was filled with some equally lovely and elegant music.

Hannigan – stunning in a sparkly blue knee-length dress – was skittish and slightly nervous, but her voice was strong and true, and more wide-ranging than I expected, moving from a flute-like purity to something approaching a husky, jazzy growl.

Her songs are oddly structured things which grow and grow, circling and building like thermal currents, using a multitude of instruments played here by her rakish-looking, multi-tasking band: double bass, drums, keyboards, glockenspiel, trumpet, harmonium, acoustic guitar, and (call me sad, but I always get a thrill of excitement when someone picks up one of these instruments), banjo. The result was richly textured, with the band's tightly harmonised backing vocals rising and falling on powerful songs such as Venn Diagram (which Hannigan dedicated to her old maths teacher).

Hannigan also showed that she can do strange and interesting things with other people's songs: Bob Dylan's Just Like Tom Thumb's Blues was decorated by some beautiful glockenspiel embellishments, while her version of The Lady Is a Tramp was spooky and rather disturbing, with Hannigan, one hand working the bellows of her harmonium, revealing the dark side of her voice.

The acoustics were not perfect; there's something about a vaulted ceiling that does bad things to the sound of a drum kit. Hannigan's voice soared, but the snare drum just bounced around, especially when the drummer used sticks rather than brushes.

Still: this was a lovely introduction to this intriguing and idiosyncratic singer and songwriter. I can't say that I came out of this show humming any of Hannigan's tunes, but the flavour of her music, its atmosphere, its moods and textures, left a lasting impression.

Rating: ****

By David Cheal

Lisa on Oct 3rd 2008!!
RonjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 07:37 PM   #11
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks, becci (hey, how you doing, girl?)...
i really like her dress...
Old 12-11-2008, 07:38 PM   #12
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
Back home from the show!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great Lisa gig as always She looked fantastic with her sparkling blue dress, red stockings & high boots She looked nervous when talking with the audience (not a lot of talking) but when singing/playing she was perfect!!

The place was kinda big, 500 people, but the sound was good. They played the full Sea Sew album + Blurry + Pirate Disco, and 3 covers, Lady is a Tramp (Lisa dedicated it to her mum), Tom Thumb Blues (Lisa dedicated it to her dad) and the final Free until they cut me down.

(as usual) I did steal the set list:

Lisa Hanigan
London Baby - St Johns Smith Church

Sea song
Splishy splashy
Venn diagram
Blurry
I don't know
My pirate disco
Pistachio
Tom thumbs blues
Courting blues
Ocean and a rock
Teeth
Lady is a tramp
Lille
---------
Keep it all
Free until they cut me down
thanks, marti for the review... i´m glad you had a great time
Old 12-11-2008, 11:27 PM   #13
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

so .. I got the whole footage from tonight show + her set when she was opening for jason mraz in seattle and portland.
Does anyone know if una is still asking not to broadcast it?
If i have to make a vine, please... give me some time, i'm busy right now trying to find some xmas presents
Old 12-12-2008, 01:23 AM   #14
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

^ That's exciting! I hope Una doesn't mind it being shared (eventually)

I didn't realize we had a thread for this show, but I put up a video, pics and a review I found online in the Lisa In The Media Thread: http://eskimofriends.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15564
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 07:36 AM   #15
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

More from The Financial Times

Quote:
The willowy Lisa Hannigan brought contrasting texture and a tougher-than-she-looks female timbre to Damien Rice’s live sets and his albums O and 9 – until he sacked her last year. Rice being the yowelling evolutionary mid-point between David Gray’s acceptable angst and James Blunt’s awful ardour, a far more positive legacy of his partnership with Hannigan having “run its creative course” is her solo career.

This gig, in Westminster’s baroque gem of a church, was her first in London under her own steam, and packed with well-wishers. To date, her debut album, Sea Sew, has only been released on CD in her native Ireland (it’s also available on her website), but Hannigan has already played at New York’s Radio City and LA’s Greek Theatre, supporting Jason Mraz, currently No 1 in Billboard’s Hot Adult chart (their definition, not mine). That tour seems to have given her five-piece band, including trumpet, violin and xylophone, a polished aplomb. They filled out the album’s fragile folk-pop with splendidly jaunty arrangements.

The opener, “Sea Song”, was almost a light rumba, while “I Don’t Know” skipped along with the buoyancy of early Beth Orton. Hannigan was a beaming presence throughout, lending a touch of Nouvelle Vague to proceedings – I mean both the wittily melodic covers band and a certain gamine sophistication.

Her voice, essentially a wide-eyed whisper, shares its coy inflections with Joanna Newsom, but with the kookiness dial turned down some. On an off-centre, noirish take on Bert Jansch’s “Courting Blues”, however, it had a stronger, seer-like tone. Two further covers were similarly effective: Bob Dylan’s “Just Like Tom Thumb’s Blues”, sung like a little girl challenging some ogre in authority, and the standard “Lady Is a Tramp”, delivered – with more vocal vim – at nearly a slo-mo zydeco pace.

“I spin you through a delicate wash” went one of Hannigan’s lyrics: well, her songs’ colours came out bright, crisp and joyful. The exceedingly winsome “Lille” was a farewell nobody wanted to end; to encore with Iron and Wine’s rousing “Free Until They Cut Me Down” showed Hannigan knows her blues chops. Rice’s next work is a plainer prospect without her. His loss is our gain.
And one from The Evening Review
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 08:46 AM   #16
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

wonder what the band will think of being called "rakish-looking".
Old 12-12-2008, 01:22 PM   #17
Mankman
You Crazy Diamond

I went to the gig in london - 4th row. Needless to say it was amazing. The highlights for me were I Dont Know, Courting Blues and Free Until They Cut Me Down. They just all looked so happy and comfortable during I Dont Know and it soared like a bitch! Oh, and anyone who was there will understand this - GHOSTBUSTERS.

As a side point, we got to the venue early and so went to the rather overpriced cafe. We were minding our own business and guess who comes into the cafe via the side entrance? Only Lisa and the band! We didnt say hello or badger her 'cos they just looked like they wanted to chill out.

I laughed so hard when Gavin messed up the start to Pistachio, especially 'cos during his solo set he said he'd been a good boy and learnt all all of his parts to Lisa's songs?

Also who was the guy who shouted some stuff out at the start about Lisa's maths score or something?

Overall fantastic gig.
Mankman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks for the review... i´m glad you have fun!

hello, by the way

thanks to you, shar, as well
Old 12-12-2008, 05:30 PM   #19
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mankman View Post
I went to the gig in london - 4th row. Needless to say it was amazing. The highlights for me were I Dont Know, Courting Blues and Free Until They Cut Me Down. They just all looked so happy and comfortable during I Dont Know and it soared like a bitch! Oh, and anyone who was there will understand this - GHOSTBUSTERS.

As a side point, we got to the venue early and so went to the rather overpriced cafe. We were minding our own business and guess who comes into the cafe via the side entrance? Only Lisa and the band! We didnt say hello or badger her 'cos they just looked like they wanted to chill out.

I laughed so hard when Gavin messed up the start to Pistachio, especially 'cos during his solo set he said he'd been a good boy and learnt all all of his parts to Lisa's songs?

Also who was the guy who shouted some stuff out at the start about Lisa's maths score or something?

Overall fantastic gig.
Ghostbusters - YES! Also fat freddy's drop and bon iver pleased me greatly between sets. Rob and I were singing away!

Really enjoyed the gig. Though for the first 5 songs lisa's vocal mic was not at the right level, but they put it straight eventually. Acoustically i agree with the reviewer - lovely venue, but the sound wasn't great due to the high ceilings I guess.

I'm pretty sure the guy who knew lisa's leaving score was her dad, and she was joking when she said 'who are you!' - :-)

x
Old 12-12-2008, 05:43 PM   #20
eva_arg
Eskimo Regular

thanks for the reviews, guys

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuuliem View Post
so .. I got the whole footage from tonight show + her set when she was opening for jason mraz in seattle and portland.
Does anyone know if una is still asking not to broadcast it?
If i have to make a vine, please... give me some time, i'm busy right now trying to find some xmas presents

god I hope you can upload something soon
Old 12-12-2008, 08:17 PM   #21
vyvrox
Vyvacious

I've put my photos here...
Old 12-12-2008, 09:56 PM   #22
verenita
... trusty and true ...

there´re a lot! thanks vyvrox!
Old 12-12-2008, 10:02 PM   #23
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine View Post
I'm pretty sure the guy who knew lisa's leaving score was her dad
Not a ****ing hope that my dad would remember my leaving score.
Old 12-12-2008, 10:20 PM   #24
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vyvrox View Post
I've put my photos here...
nice! thanks
Old 12-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #25
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

not sure if it's posted but...

Lady is a Tramp:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvxwDA34VZg

Lille:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoeaCt5fK7g
Old 12-13-2008, 10:19 PM   #26
Incognito
Eskimo Baby

My review/story

Great gig, definately worth the wait. I too went there early which began a surreal moment. The tickets said the doors opened at 7 so i decided to get there 40 mins early. There was hardly any1 standing around so i thought the cue may be inside so i wandered inside and downstairs to the cafe where i asked some1 where the main hall was, she directed me so i went, into which i stumbled into a empty hall.

So i decided to walk back downstairs and then again go back inside in which i heard some1 singing on the stairs, and who was it but the only Lisa in which i opened the door for her and she said, very sweetly, hello to me and in my stunned state muttered hello back and let her pass still in shock.

Afterwards i decided to sit in the cafe and read my book while i waited and yet again Lisa and her crew walked past me and sat at the table right next to me and eat and drink before the gig. i was tempted to this time attempt to speak to her and ask for a pic but i decided against it and let them eat in peace.

Finally 10 to 7 i decided to go back to the empty hall and sat in a seat while security looked at me oddly, not realising i accidently snucked into the gig, ticket in pocket in which i enjoyed the gig deadcentre in the front row.

Which after all that was an absolutaly amazing show, lisa simply glowing through each song, ending with the great ghostbusters theme playing as i left.

(sorry for the long post, just had to get my story out of my system)
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:24 PM   #27
verenita
... trusty and true ...

hey, i´m do glad you had a great time... and thanks for coming here to share it with us
nothing to be sorry about...
Old 12-14-2008, 11:39 AM   #28
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^^he he great story, Incognito, you should so try it at every gig!!!!!

Ghostbusters!!!
Old 12-14-2008, 02:26 PM   #29
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

haha i didnt think the ghostbusters song was played on purpose, but they played it at the dublin show too as we were leaving..
brilliant

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 08:09 PM   #30
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

And in Cork too... there must be a story there somewhere...