Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-07-2011, 04:40 AM   #1111
jasmineha
Wide eyed and hopeful..

Did yall hear that Once is going to be a Broadway musical??
Old 12-07-2011, 01:44 PM   #1112
dawno
just mildly free

A friend of mine went to a preview... she said while the music is still fantastic, sadly the production is not
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 12:04 PM   #1113
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Not sure if this has been posted before, but it's a song Glen wrote for the upcoming movie "The Hunger Games". He played it on the latest solo tour and it was amazing live...

this is from a private performance he did a few days ago - there are a couple more vids on youtube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBiGC1XBcXs
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:29 PM   #1114
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

glo, its private??
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 11:11 PM   #1115
glo32
Eskimo Regular

damn, it wasn't private when I posted it... maybe someone asked to take it down? Maybe Glen? I remember he asked not to post anything on youtube when he played new songs in Rome a couple months ago...
it was great, anyway... sorry you arrived late
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #1116
Melissa
Eskimo Baby

NPR music is streaming the original cast recording from the Broadway musical for a limited time.

http://www.npr.org/2012/02/27/147514...recording-once

It's a little strange hearing others perform the songs, but its' nice.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 AM   #1117
dawno
just mildly free

Once has now moved from off-broadway to Broadway. My husband bought tix for us to see it next month. Really looking forward to it, even though my friend was disappointed by the off bway production.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #1118
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

Hi, the swell season "movie" is out, but only available as NTSC version for USA.
Do you know how to find a PAL version for Europe?

Bye!!

http://www.amazon.com/Swell-Season-G...1093618&sr=8-1
Old 03-24-2012, 12:27 PM   #1119
commonsense
Eskimo Regular

I finally saw the Swell Season documentary. I was surprised there was nudity, pleasantly. So is the full on 1970s bush an Irish thing, a Czech thing?
commonsense is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 12:45 PM   #1120
cille
creepycute

It's what comes natuarally if you don't shave. Bush power!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #1121
dawno
just mildly free

We went to see Once on Broadway this past weekend. Though a friend of mine had said she was not impressed with it while it was still off-Broadway, I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed the show. At first, it was odd that Glen & Marketa weren't the ones on stage, but Steve Kazee won me over in the role of "Guy" after the opening number, "Leave". Unfortunately, I was not as impressed with the female lead - she's got a lovely voice - but it seemed as though she was trying too hard (if that makes sense). They've made some changes in the story for the stage adaptation, but it definitely stands on its own. Not that awards mean anything, but it makes me happy that they lead the 2012 Tony Award nominations (that came out today) with 11 in total.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:58 PM   #1122
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^any big change in the story??
Old 05-04-2012, 04:37 PM   #1123
dawno
just mildly free

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
^any big change in the story??
No real big changes in the story, just minor ones to facilitate the stage production. One thing that I absolutely loved is the fact that the actors (who all are musicians as well) come out on stage and start playing songs to the pub crowd. The audience is encouraged to go up on the stage and stand around the piano, the guitars, mandolins etc as they serenade us in the pub set. As it's a pub, of course they sell pints (and wine) on the stage as well. Once the audience finds their seats, the story seamlessly begins with the guy being asked to play one of his songs, and Steve Kazee breaks into 'Leave'.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #1124
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Once the Musical won like a sh.t-ton of Tony's: Best Musical, Best book of aMusical (don't know what that means), Best Leading Actor, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Orchestration, Best scenic Design, Best Lighting Design, and Best Sound Design.

Thought that was impressive.

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 06-13-2012 at 04:36 PM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 05:18 AM   #1125
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran View Post
Once the Musical won like a sh.t-ton of Tony's: Best Musical, Best book of aMusical (don't know what that means), Best Leading Actor, Best Direction of a Musical, Best Orchestration, Best scenic Design, Best Lighting Design, and Best Sound Design.

Thought that was impressive.
Generally speaking "Best Book" is basically like "Best Script" from what I understand.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 07:23 AM   #1126
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandarific View Post
Generally speaking "Best Book" is basically like "Best Script" from what I understand.
Oooh those thespians and their lingo...
Old 06-15-2012, 03:53 AM   #1127
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Yes, the book is all the other words that aren't sung. The lyrics and music are the libretti/score.

In other news, I have to say the wildest thing about this thread is that when I started it, could never have imagined how all these years later this sweet little film would have become a smash hit to the point where it was winning Academy and multiple Tony awards or even being adapted into a Broadway show or that my pal Lucas would be a cast member of it.

Crazy world, innit?
Old 06-19-2012, 09:34 PM   #1128
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Aye
Old 06-22-2012, 08:04 AM   #1129
quiquemartin
Eskimo Regular

You can listen in Spotify the cd of the new cast: "Once a new musical"

It sounds close to the original, except for the new "Marketa".
Old 06-27-2012, 08:29 AM   #1130
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

I just got home from Glen and Lisa's show in Chicago. And I am still blown away. That was the best show I've ever seen and I've seen some fuucking shows. So much passion 3 encores.

Post more later but interesting tids.

Lisa keeps a ribbon of green tied around the neck of her guitar. Hmmmmm. Cheers darling'.

Glen mentioned that the first time he played the Vic was opening for Damien and Lisa. I sat in the exact same seats (front row) tonight as I did at that show 8 or 9 years ago. Better company this time though. Anne but made me miss Damien live. Come back to the US bro.

Pulled up 2 ten year olds to perform his songs. They were fantastic. Congrats Ethan and Fredo!!! Great job! Standing O

great covers tonight too. Astral weeks, Night they drove old Dixie down. Gold. Heyday(at my request). Auld triangle. Somebody I used to know. A josh ritter song and another Band song too, can't remember. Too many guinesses.

Also tonight confirms it. I am madly in love with Lisa. Marry me!!!!

Last edited by Shillelagh; 06-27-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:46 AM   #1131
mandarific
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
I just got home from Glen and Lisa's show in Chicago. And I am still blown away. That was the best show I've ever seen and I've seen some fuucking shows. So much passion 3 encores.

Post more later but interesting tids.

Lisa keeps a ribbon of green tied around the neck of her guitar. Hmmmmm. Cheers darling'.

Glen mentioned that the first time he played the Vic was opening for Damien and Lisa. I sat in the exact same seats (front row) tonight as I did at that show 8 or 9 years ago. Better company this time though. Anne but made me miss Damien live. Come back to the US bro.

Pulled up 2 ten year olds to perform his songs. They were fantastic. Congrats Ethan and Fredo!!! Great job! Standing O

great covers tonight too. Night they drove old Dixie down. Gold. Heyday(at my request). Auld triangle. Somebody I used to know. Another too, can't remember. Too many guinesses.

Also tonight confirms it. I am madly in love with Lisa. Marry me!!!!
AUuuuuuuuuuuuuuugh I am so insanely jealous.

We almost bought tickets to this show and then hesitated and by the time I went back to buy them they were sold out.
mandarific is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 10:11 AM   #1132
cille
creepycute

Sounds amazing!
Old 06-27-2012, 06:44 PM   #1133
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Main Set: The Storm, It’s Coming, You Will Become, When Your Mind’s Made Up, Love Don’t Leave Me Waiting, Low Rising, Talking with the Wolves, Bird of Sorrow, Leave, In These Arms, Astral Weeks, High Hope, Somebody That I Used To Know (Gotye)*, Broken Hearted Hoover Fixer Sucker Guy*, Fitzcarraldo, Feeling the Pull, High Horses
First Encore: Gold (Interference)**, Say it to Me Now**, Tonight You Belong to Me (Josh Ritter)***, The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down (The Band)***, Don’t Do It (The Band)***, Heyday (Mic Christopher)***
Second Encore: The Auld Triangle (Traditional)
* – performed by audience member Ethan
** – performed with audience member Fredo
*** – performed by/with Lisa Hannigan and John Smith
Old 06-27-2012, 06:48 PM   #1134
cille
creepycute

(Tonight You Belong to Me - is not written by Josh Ritter, I think it's an oldie)
Old 06-27-2012, 07:07 PM   #1135
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Yes you are correct. They said they played this when they were touring with Josh. But definitely is from the 20s or 30s
Old 06-28-2012, 09:07 PM   #1136
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

From Glen's new Hot Press interview. Didn't know Damien worked on the Once musical???

While instantly dismissive of being in the show itself, Glen and one of his celebrity pals tutored Steve Kazee in how to be a Dublin street musician.

“I advised him to go busking, so he took a road-trip across the States with his guitar and sang for his supper. Most people who sing into microphones know nothing about belting it, but he learned to project. We talked about the pushing and pulling of lines ‘cause the problem with Broadway singers is they tend to sing on the line, so it’s flat. I told him, ‘Sing it like you’re hungover or go get drunk. Dirty it up a bit’. Damien Rice, who was staying in my flat, also helped Steve. Just by singing, he was able to communicate to the cast the difference between singing something ‘on’ and something ‘off’. Damien’s a master of that stuff. We left him alone for a while, then went back on opening night and, wow, the difference! He’d really made the songs his own. I was able to hand on heart walk up to Steve and say, ‘Brilliant! Whatever ownership we had on this, it’s yours now.’”
Old 06-28-2012, 09:22 PM   #1137
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

http://www.hotpress.com/Glen-Hansard...how_comments=1

It's a great read. Please do
Old 11-01-2012, 04:07 PM   #1138
Rai
Eskimontologist

OK, guys and gals. Some of you are quite knowledgeable, so give me all you have, proper, creepy halloween stuff.

Glen. And Mar. Playing Falling Slowly. In 2003. The implications are not too nice, especially not for the creep factor.

Does anyone know anything that would make things right?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"

Last edited by Rai; 11-01-2012 at 05:24 PM.
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 08:37 AM   #1139
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai View Post
OK, guys and gals. Some of you are quite knowledgeable, so give me all you have, proper, creepy halloween stuff.

Glen. And Mar. Playing Falling Slowly. In 2003. The implications are not too nice, especially not for the creep factor.

Does anyone know anything that would make things right?
Hmm she's legal?
Old 11-03-2012, 06:01 AM   #1140
Agent99
Eskimo Regular

To be fair, he looks at almost everyone he sings with that way...
Agent99 is offline   Reply With Quote