Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 05-23-2007, 07:27 PM   #61
Whigged
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haina
I love that he did Cannonball without the mic. And Cheers Darling was priceless; the streetlamp was a really nice touch.
I think it was stupid actually. It more or less cheapens the song in my opinion. Four years ago, I saw him at the TLA in Philly, and he was smashed when he performed the song, adding to its emotional intensity.

Now, it's just words and theater - nothing more.
Whigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:33 PM   #62
dragonflies76
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whigged
I think it was stupid actually. It more or less cheapens the song in my opinion. Four years ago, I saw him at the TLA in Philly, and he was smashed when he performed the song, adding to its emotional intensity.

it's impossible to perform nightly for months and have every song be "in the moment." And if you throw in some music, "words and theater" = a concert, imho.
dragonflies76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 07:53 PM   #63
Whigged
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflies76
it's impossible to perform nightly for months and have every song be "in the moment." And if you throw in some music, "words and theater" = a concert, imho.
No doubt, but let me draw an analogy. At the '83 US Festival, David Lee Roth forgot the words to one of Van Halen's songs in front of 300,000 people, and loudly exclaimed, mid-song, that he "Forgot the fu<kin' words!" It was such a heavily bootlegged and talked about incident, he started doing it as part of his schtick during every show.

To me ("me" being the primary word here) it just didn't have the same effect as when it happened spontaneously,

And that, my friends, concludes the first and last post containing a comparison between Damo and DLR.

Last edited by Whigged; 05-23-2007 at 07:59 PM.
Whigged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2007, 09:42 PM
bottlebohemia
This message has been deleted by bottlebohemia.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:34 AM   #64
abumchuck
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottlebohemia
Here you go...sorry it was late- better late than never! Please let me know if I left anything out/ need to add anything- I made my best friend write the set list while I attempted to take pics -which I'll post later.

1.) Volcano
(believe he played “Never go Down” here after Volcano?)
2.) Me, My Yoke
3.) Is that it my friend?
4.) 9 Crimes
5.) Crossed Eyed Bear
6.) The Professor into Child, Man, Silly Dog (new one) back to Professor and then La Fille Danse
7.) Coconut Skins w/ Percussion breakdown
8.) Woman Like a Man
9.) Older Chests
10.) Dogs
11.) Accidental Babies
12.) Cannonball acoustic (just Damien) w/ no mic

Encore:
1.) Delicate
2.) Blower's Daughter
3.) Cheers Darlin'
Thanks a lot, I was having trouble remembering everything. I believe that "Never Go Down" was actually played after "Me My Yoke and I". After Volcano he played a reprise or extended verse, whatever you wanna call it. Other than that it looks good to me.
abumchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 AM   #65
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Dave,
any chance we could get an mp3-sampler of Is that my friend and the new one while we wait for the real thing!!!!!!?????????
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #66
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Did anyone on this thread miss my PM yesterday? If you have, just let me know and I'll re-send. It's in regard to samples.

Dave
daveydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 03:26 PM   #67
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Here are the pictures I took, which even the best of the bunch are still blurry…

-Jen

bottlebohemia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 05:05 PM   #68
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

If any of you were trying to PM me today, I was at my limit of 50 PM's stored. I have since cleared them out.

If you have anything to add about the 2 recordings and their quality, feel free to post. I just needed a day to get my feet on the ground before we discussed which one to master etc...

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveydave
Did anyone on this thread miss my PM yesterday? If you have, just let me know and I'll re-send. It's in regard to samples.

Dave
Old 05-24-2007, 05:09 PM   #69
Haina
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whigged

Listening to Cheers Darling on O, you can tell that he's suppose to be drunk and singing the song. What he did on stage only helped me appreciate the song even more. Even though it might be just theatrics, but it didn't take away from the song.
Haina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 06:22 PM   #70
palescales
Eskimo Baby

I've read this a few times, but maybe people couldn't hear it but Damien did not play Cannonball comletely solo. There was unmiced cello and upright bass being played and, i think, some very sparse drums at the end.
palescales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 07:01 PM   #71
srahman24
Dandy little dreamer

The night sounds fantastic! Thanks for the recaps and pictures everyone (and the recording daveydave!)
srahman24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:30 PM   #72
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Do you think Never going down is a song?? Sounds to me like an improv/outro using the Volcano music as background... not sure if it's a new song...
Old 05-24-2007, 08:41 PM   #73
Salem
Eskimo Baby

With brilliance, Damien Rice arranges and rearranges old songs and new revealing a genius not recognized by me in years. Damien is smart, amusing, and unassuming. Even his t-shirts on sale in the lobby illustrate an unabashed lack of self-promotion. Neither his name nor his cd or song titles appear on the purple and brown cotton jerseys. Only his signature elephant graces the shirt. It's as if recognition of this symbol, to those in the know, permits entrance to a secret club whose one initiation rite is quite simple: grasp the music and you enter a place of astounding, limitless creativity.

I saw Damien Rice's concert Tuesday, May 22, 2007 at the Opera House in Boston. The show was about an hour and 40 minutes long with no opening act. How to put his show into words? I should earn a Pulitzer if I do him justice. I suspect I am not up to the task before me. Nonetheless, I will try.

On a small, dark theater stage, a group of five musicians including Damien file out from the wings and take their places: drum set, bass, keyboard, microphone, grand piano, cello, and guitar. They begin playing as the lights come on here and there creating visual effects supporting and combining with the vocals that whisper to us, shout at us, and soar above us in graceful arcs. The drums rumble, they snap, they clang and clash with cymbal bursts and ripples. The guitars strum and pluck and chant with chords and voices of their own. The bass moans, thunders, and opens our bodies from underneath traveling upwards. And the cello soothingly scratches our skin relieving an itch with which we'd long ago learned to live. Once relieved, we crave the mewling bowing crossing strings heavy and delicate straining high and bellowing low. Damien stands center stage before a stand with two microphones: one standard, the other affected. Darkness around the band suggests ghostly spirits at work, at play. Two bright, white stage lights illuminate Damien on either side from behind. Unsaintly backlit, he confesses his sins, his pains, his longings, and his humanity. Crying out to God and to us, do we hear him? Do we feel him? Do we know him? From his lips to our ears, our eyes, and our skins, how can we not love him and see ourselves and our own sins, pains, and longings? How can we not love ourselves as a result of his naked offerings? Light changes. A funnel of dusty, saintly light pours down around him from above. He and we are forgiven and continue on to a new song.

Full stage is visible now with a bright background of red light. Later now, the background is bright blue and yellow-green sunflower pollen dances upon the musicians. His "one happy song" as he announced pours over us. It is hard to stay seated. My body wants to be up and moving with another. But enough of that, there is more human fumbling to reveal. Anyone can sing a happy song, but who can so honestly expose frailties, delicacies, moments we'd prefer to forget but resign to die over and over again as our memories attempt to impose a childlike "do over" upon our human disgraces. Love, rejection, insecurity, cowardliness, desire… it's all here bolded and unfolded before us to behold with him or through him as his silhouette, now the height of the building, mimics him from behind. My pain was his pain too once just as my passion and my love, my feeble attempts to attract an other, my hits and my misses. Damien presents them all to us on soft and clanging metal trays made of cymbals bound with cello strings. Bold and bolder, meek and meeker on he goes alone without Lisa Hannigan who some thought defined his sound only for us to discover that she was merely another instrument wound around his rhythms. Although I did not miss her last night, I would welcome her return if she should per chance visit. I look forward to the cd she is presently recording. Damien, however, proved that he is the man behind the curtain in all respects. It's been a day since his show, and I already crave another. In the meantime, I have his cds and a purple t-shirt with an elephant on the front to help me pass the time.
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 08:43 PM   #74
Salem
Eskimo Baby

Corey, It's been said all over this thread, but I have to say it to: Amazing photos! Thanks for sharing them.
Salem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2007, 09:00 PM   #75
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Do you think Never going down is a song?? Sounds to me like an improv/outro using the Volcano music as background... not sure if it's a new song...
I actually was just going to edit the set list I posted with the same thing you just wrote.

There's two I have questioned actually:
what he does after "Volcano"? and then what he does after "Me, My Yoke"? Because they were two different things.

Like abumchuck pointed out earlier, I think "Never going down" is actually after "Me, My yoke". Which means, what is after "Volcano"?

I can't "formally" decide what it is...

Last edited by bottlebohemia; 05-24-2007 at 09:24 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 09:50 PM   #76
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Just before he steps into Me My Yoke , my boot, my toothbrush and my blah my blah blah, he goes into something that I recognize & I can't put my finger on it. I don't think it's from Damien.

I'm thinking he was covering someone else's song for a few bars. What's killing me is that it's familiar to my subconscience but, because it's out of context, I can't figure it out. It's something like:

"said that you feel" & "you know" & "I'm there" and "happier" - all googled for nothing.

This might bother me for a while.

dave

Quote:
I actually was just going to edit the set list I posted with the same thing you just wrote.

There's two I have questioned actually:
what he does after "Volcano"? and then what he does after "Me, My Yoke"? Because they were two different things.

Like abumchuck pointed out earlier, I think "Never going down" is actually after "Me, My yoke". Which means, what is after "Volcano"?

I can't "formally" decide what it is...
Old 05-25-2007, 12:25 AM   #77
Adelaide
Eskimo Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyb
cheers... thanks for the kind words adelaide... is that your real name? stunning if it is...

i shot with a Canon Digital Rebel XTI body ($800 USD) and a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens ($350 USD)... it's my "i'm at a concert and need to be sneaky" setup... the body size of the XTI is small enough to fit somewhere on my body and not be noticed which is not easy to do with most SLRs... to me it feels strange because the body is small (compared with other SLRs) but it's a perfect fit for most women's hands... it's a fantastic camera though... i really love the photos that come out of it most of the time... the lens is meant for extremely low-light situations or obtaining incredible depth-of-field because it's a super fast lens, meaning that the shutter is capable of opening really wide really quickly... Canon makes a 50mm f/1.8 for about $80 USD (super cheap) that is a great starter for a fast prime lens... but the f/1.4 is a little bit faster and the focus mechanism is far superior and in low light situations , especially concerts, you don't want your lens hunting around trying to focus cause by then the shot is gone... i'm rambing... sorry... i could talk about cameras and lenses all day... let me know if you need help finding the right gear but i highly recommend the XTI as a beginner SLR... you won't outgrow it's capabilities until you start making serious money from your photographs...
oooh thank you so much! that sounds really good especially since my hands are inconveniently tiny........ lol. that's actually far cheaper than i anticipated.... i just might indulge in one then

and yes, Adelaide is indeed my actual name.....
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 01:35 AM   #78
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Dave, I cannot identify the bit at the end of Volcano. Must be some cover but doesn't sound familiar to me. For a sec the music sounded like Portishead but the lyrics don't match. I'm lost.

By the way, V3 faaaar better than V2...
Old 05-25-2007, 01:47 AM   #79
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Default V3 - Version 3 of Boston - sample recording

I agree. V2 is not bad, but V3 is crisp and clear. V3 was done with the better mics.

I think I've heard from 5 people and all liked V3 better. Well, the cats out of the bag i'd say. Any discussion of the recording should be fine here. I'd still love to hear other opinions.

It is still bothering me as to what snippet we got at the end of Volcano. The melody is so familiar, but I can't be sure the words correctly go with the music. Still thinking and listening to that one...

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Dave, I cannot identify the bit at the end of Volcano. Must be some cover but doesn't sound familiar to me. For a sec the music sounded like Portishead but the lyrics don't match. I'm lost.

By the way, V3 faaaar better than V2...
Old 05-25-2007, 02:07 AM   #80
bottlebohemia
Eskimo Friend

Since this seems to be driving us all crazy...I'm voting that Damien was just doing improv after Volcano. All I get is "said that you feel/ what you're looking/ you know I will/ happier/ I can" and him humming/mumbling.

Didn't he say one time either at a show or in an interview or something that how he wrote songs whilejust sitting there with the guitar, strumming and it just came to him and came out like vomit- I believe is how he put it. So that's why my vote is for him doing improv! Haha.

Quote:

It is still bothering me as to what snippet we got at the end of Volcano. The melody is so familiar, but I can't be sure the words correctly go with the music. Still thinking and listening to that one...

Dave

Last edited by bottlebohemia; 05-25-2007 at 03:26 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:41 AM   #81
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
Since this seems to be driving us all crazy...I'm voting that Damien was just doing improv after Volcano.
couldn't agree more... musicians improv in live shows... it's all part of it... get into the moment and a feeling, thought, emotion can totally take over... what often comes of it can be a beautiful thing... some of my best lyrics came from pure improv but then it is lost because it's so hard to get back in that frame when you try to remember where you were...
coreyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 03:51 AM   #82
tylerm
Eskimo Baby

Definatly V3 daveydave. The sound, and the instruments especially, are so much clearer. It's such great quality
tylerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 04:10 AM   #83
coreyb
eskiphotographer

dave - you know my vote... matrix of V3 and V2 with a 70/30 mix towards the former... V2 just has such a natural and pure tone to it... but V3 is a lot crisper in the highs...

stoked to hear the final version... i know you'll do something nice with it...
Old 05-25-2007, 04:44 AM   #84
dragonflies76
Eskimo Baby

Dave,
I think I can speak for all of us who were fortunate enough to hear the samples of your magnificent recording: Thank you so very much for sharing! Great job!
I have listened to V3 nearly non-stop today and am just blown away with each listen! I think I'm enjoying the recording more than being there at the show, if that's possible. What an orgasmic performance....Damien is a freakin' genius!

Quote:
If you have anything to add about the 2 recordings and their quality, feel free to post. I just needed a day to get my feet on the ground before we discussed which one to master etc...

Dave
Old 05-25-2007, 11:57 AM   #85
tylerm
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreyb
dave - you know my vote... matrix of V3 and V2 with a 70/30 mix towards the former... V2 just has such a natural and pure tone to it... but V3 is a lot crisper in the highs...
I tried playing them together and it does give the recording a nice full sound.
tylerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #86
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Tylerm,

What did you use to do this? Just curious. I tested out the recommendation you and Corey had (via Acid Pro), and there will definitely be a matrix of the two recordings - probably later this summer. Of course, it will only come after I master V3. I'll start mastering that recording this weekend.

The 4 tracks mixed with a 70/30 or 60/40 balance is just amazing.

Is it me, or is V3-May a better sounding recording than December's?

BTW - Jen - your pics are pretty good. Always take them, you might take a hundred shots but capture something just perfectly. I've used the same type of camera you were using to shoot U2 (via heart) and Pearl Jam and I can tell you that out of 100 - 150 shots, there are only 15 - 20 that are worth being seen. It's hard to capture a moving event unless you have a great camera.

Personally, I don't think Damien should ever play another venue in Boston besides the Opera House. I hope that's where he plans to play in September.
Can you imagine Cannonball (no mic) at the Orpheum?

Did any of you get to the Frames show in Somerville a few weeks back? I'm surprised I haven't heard more talk about that or the movie "Once."

dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerm
I tried playing them together and it does give the recording a nice full sound.

Last edited by daveydave; 05-25-2007 at 05:09 PM.
Old 05-25-2007, 05:14 PM   #87
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
I tested out the recommendation you and Corey had... the 4 tracks mixed with a 70/30 or 60/40 balance is just amazing
stoked to hear it someday...

Quote:
definitely better. yay for the opera house!

Quote:
Personally, I don't think Damien should ever play another venue in Boston besides the Opera House.
totally agree... i wish we had a say

Quote:
Did any of you get to the Frames show in Somerville a few weeks back?
wish i had heard about it... i woulda gone... bummer!
Old 05-25-2007, 06:00 PM   #88
dragonflies76
Eskimo Baby

Yes, totally, though May is certainly not chicken liver.

Can you imagine Cannonball (no mic) at the Orpheum?

Actually, didn't Jamie Callum sing without a mic at the Orpheum during last tour? I know he's done that before for "Nature Boy." I might have my venues mixed up since I saw him several times last year.
Now that I think of it, it might have been the Opera House!! lol

Did any of you get to the Frames show in Somerville a few weeks back? I'm surprised I haven't heard more talk about that or the movie "Once."

I am so stoked to see that film! It's gotten stellar reviews from people not familiar with their music.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:50 PM   #89
daveydave
Eskimo Regular

Yes - May is better, or Yes December is better? Confused.

= Cullum did that at the Orpheum, though I would have to go back to that and listen. I have a time traveling machine that helps me do that ;-)

= yeah, I've been haunted by the songs "Falling Slowly" and "When your minds Made up" since that show. This might be a good weekend to get to Harvard Sq. for that film.

dave
Old 05-25-2007, 07:02 PM   #90
coreyb
eskiphotographer

Quote:
oh wow... just watched the trailer... so excited... wish i wasn't headed outta town this weekend... i wanna see that asap... is it coming to the kendall theater by any chance?

for those who wanna watch the trailer: