Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 12-31-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Exclamation "Once" w/ the Swell Season

Just found this online. Had no idea- never heard any mention of it before. Apparently Damo's openers (Glen and Marketa) are acting in a film together that comes out this year in Ireland...

ONCE

John Carney's romantic musical affectionately observes the relationship that forms between a Grafton Street busker (Frames singer-songwriter Glen Hansard) and a Czech pianist (Marketa Inglova). Mar 23

I knew you UK lads and lasses got films a bit later than us but the article also said "The Upside of Anger" was going to be released there this spring. That film is almost two years old now!
Old 12-31-2006, 05:02 AM   #2
Bumpman

Yeah, and Damien has a part in it I think, he helped with it anyway. Writing the music and whatnot.
Old 12-31-2006, 05:11 AM   #3
Rue Saint-Denis
Eskimo Ghost

This has been on the swell season's myspace. Glen writes his own blogs, how nice is that.
Rue Saint-Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 07:21 AM   #4
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpman
Yeah, and Damien has a part in it I think, he helped with it anyway. Writing the music and whatnot.
I was gonna ask if he was involved at all. So glad to hear that!
Old 12-31-2006, 11:49 AM   #5
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Spamlet, I think there were a couple of threads on the film at the time they were shooting it (January 2006). And yeah I think Damien co-wrote a couple of songs for it... one of them being Leave, I think. I don't think he's actually in the film, but I could be wrong (I am though! ).

It was shown at a couple of film festivals during the summer if I remember correctly.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 04:20 AM   #6
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

The only one I knew of him having co-written was "Leave" so I'll be glad to hear anything else whether Damo cameos in the film or not.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:10 AM   #7
matthew1234
Eskimo Baby

I just saw "Once" today, and Damien is thanked in the credits.

I didn't notice any cameos.

It was a really good film -- definitely recommend it.

- Matt
matthew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 05:39 AM   #8
purity
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew1234
I just saw "Once" today, and Damien is thanked in the credits.

I didn't notice any cameos.

It was a really good film -- definitely recommend it.

- Matt
Agreed...
purity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
vidiot
Eskimo Baby

This article I found provided the best background information about the movie. I am hoping to see it this week. Everything about it looks perfect.

Music, Love and Fatalism: How Irish
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/05/13/mo...rssnyt&emc=rss
vidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 09:17 AM   #10
Bumpman

It's supposed to be quite good alright, it's won quite a few snobby awards.
Old 06-13-2007, 11:31 AM   #11
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

The movie was quite good. It has been described as a musical, but don't be thinking Rent or the Producers. It was described in a review as "a visual album." That's the best way to describe it, if a cd were played out into a movie.

Damien is not in the movie at all. He helped write "Leave" and I think "When your mind's made up," but I don't think he was credited as "co-writing the songs" in the final credits. Just listed along with some other names in a general thank you.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:14 AM   #12
matthew1234
Eskimo Baby

It could be called a musical, but isn't what that term seems to conjure.

It is all music, but of the singer-songwriter variety. Nothing fake or overly theatrical about it.

I think it's definitely something that would appeal to a Damien Rice fan. The two leads singing together could almost be Damien and Lisa. (Well...what was...) And you see a flash of Damo-type agression in that song Glen performs late at night, on the street.

Actually, I thought of Damien a lot while watching it, trying to imagine his busking days.

- Matt
matthew1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 01:24 AM   #13
Young Siward
Eskimo Baby

Twas quite good, was kinda like an irish-singer-songwriter-troubadour version of lost in translation....
I will not be earthbound,
I'm gonna fly...
Young Siward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:43 AM   #14
nothing_at_all
Eskimo Baby

i find glen hansard a bit of a prick so i refuse to watch it. It also looks like every other "heartfelt independant movie" with **** actors and a ****, unrealistic storyline.
nothing_at_all is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:12 AM   #15
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_at_all
a ****, unrealistic storyline.
Yes, it's a bit like Shrek
Old 06-14-2007, 10:38 AM   #16
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothing_at_all
****, unrealistic storyline.
I totally understand what you are saying. The part, when Glen Hansard kills the man-eating killer moose is way too much, they could have left theat 'laser-beams from the eyes' stuff out, its sooo old. Furthermore, there are no boobs. I mean, come on, this is 2007!

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 10:51 AM   #17
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Furthermore, there are no boobs. I mean, come on, this is 2007!
yeah, the world is full of boobs, how many billion people are we now? and then like half the world's adult population has approx two of them each, not taking advantage of that fact is just lousy writing
Old 07-02-2007, 11:05 PM   #18
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

I saw it at a local theater that shows only indie films. I enjoyed it for the most part. The ending was bitter sweet, not what I wanted to happen! Anyway, I'd reccomend it to anyone that is familiar with The Swell Season. I saw them open for Damo in LA last December, so it was enjoyable for myself.

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 11:32 PM   #19
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

i'm pretty interested in seeing this movie... since someone told me that glen hansard opened for damien one time.. i looked him up and got his Swell Season CD, and i just love it... the music is great and everything, somewhat similar to damien, but damien is still the better of the two :P.. but ya, i started browsing youtube live performances of glen and irglova.. and i saw them doing interviews promoting the move Once, and then i looked up a trailer and i thought it'd be an interesting film, so now i'm looking forward to seeing it sometime soon...
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2007, 12:59 AM   #20
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

i didnt even realize they were dating. its surprising how open Glen was about it in an interview he and Marketa had when they were promoting Once. He said, "The idea of kissing and hanging out is just really pleasant," to which Marketa burst out laughing. He also said "There's always been an attraction, of course, and I think were just giving it a shot."

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7fWCTOR5xtk

Old 07-03-2007, 06:37 AM   #21
golnazv86
Eskimo Friend

just a suggestion, but try not to listen to the once soundtrack or the swell season so much before watching the movie. i made the mistake of listening to them over and over again (because it was so darn good) and then realized the music is a big part of the movie and by already knowing the music, the whole experience wasn't as great as it could have been.
the movie is still great though, one of those you just want to keep seeing over and over again, i just wish i had waited till after seeing the movie to buy the soundtrack.
just a thought...
golnazv86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:14 AM   #22
eskimofan55
Eskimo Friend

Wait...Glen and Marketa are dating in real life? Lovely film by the way!
eskimofan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 12:59 AM   #23
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

thats what they said
http://youtube.com/watch?v=7fWCTOR5xtk

Old 07-04-2007, 08:07 AM   #24
purity
Eskimo Friend

Great film. I had to wait awhile to see in Des Moines, Iowa, U.S.A. but it was worth it. Awesome date flick. I'm proud to see it's maintaining a great rating on rt.
purity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 11:04 AM   #25
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd
i'm pretty interested in seeing this movie... since someone told me that glen hansard opened for damien one time.. i looked him up and got his Swell Season CD, and i just love it... the music is great and everything, somewhat similar to damien, but damien is still the better of the two :P.. but ya, i started browsing youtube live performances of glen and irglova.. and i saw them doing interviews promoting the move Once, and then i looked up a trailer and i thought it'd be an interesting film, so now i'm looking forward to seeing it sometime soon...
I disagree. Personally, I'm the type of person that likes to know an artist's songs in order to get the most out of a concert experience. So in that sense, I felt that in knowing most of the soundtrack from listening to the Swell Season album gave me a greater appreciation for the music and a fresh look at the songs. (The songs are slightly different in the movie, a little more stripped down) Also they dialog was difficult for me to follow at times with the "heavy" (heavy being relative in this sense) accents, so knowing the music helped guide me that much farther, by knowing it before hand.

But as I said, it was personal preference.
Old 07-22-2007, 11:28 AM   #26
Hendrik
Teddy Daniels

Hendrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #27
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Just got to see the movie yesterday! wonderful and a great date movie might i say!

I think knowing the music didn't take anything away from the film.... for me at least... I found myself singing along to the film, probably looked like a crazy person!

cheers! ... and go see the movie if ya haven't!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2007, 04:06 AM   #28
verenita
... trusty and true ...

he he... it´s funny (related with an old discussion in here about damien-joel-alanis)...
alanis morissette put "once" on her official site (i think the song is "falling slowly").
www.alanismorissette.com
(you have to go to "musings" and pass the pages till find it.)
Old 08-14-2007, 09:24 AM   #29
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita
he he... it´s funny (related with an old discussion in here about damien-joel-alanis)...
alanis morissette put "once" on her official site (i think the song is "falling slowly").
www.alanismorissette.com
(you have to go to "musings" and pass the pages till find it.)
She could learn a lot, I hope she listens closely
Old 10-13-2007, 09:34 AM   #30
Rai
Eskimontologist

Its a bit late (I stil haven't seen it, though), but the best film critic alive, Mark Kermode just reviewed it, liked it and did a small interview with Glen and Marketa! (and it is said that Spielberg and Jarmusch also loved it!) Yeehaa! link (its not lisetd, but its on the latest show, right at the beginning.) It also has a review of my second most anticipated film, Black Sheep:

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote