Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-04-2009, 01:24 PM   #91
BrokenDoll
Eskimo Baby

*whispers* I just got my text message. The secret location is Sigur Rós's recording studio Sundlaugin (The pool) in Mosfellsdalur, just outside of Reykjavik. But, shhh! It's a secret. ;p
BrokenDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 02:18 PM   #92
verenita
... trusty and true ...

enjoy yourself and have fun. we are with you
Old 11-04-2009, 04:42 PM   #93
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Great to see it's a recording studio, no excuse now.

http://www.sundlaugin.com/Sundlaugin/home.html
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 05:19 PM   #94
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

oh I was expecting the shows to be outdoors since it's for the Nature album and all I was anticipating gigs close to volcanos, geysers,...
Old 11-04-2009, 09:14 PM   #95
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Amazing! it was Damien and Vivian.He did old and new great songs both on guitar and piano.He was in a great humor,answered questions and sang songs we requested. It was in a studio outside reykjavik what means he will try to use what he recorded today.he said it might not be good enough to use but who knows...But we had to keep silence while he was sing because he wants to use it.We did the chorus in 2 new songs and we got to listen it afterwards.From the old songs he sang volcano,lonely soldier(requested by audience),sand,The blowers daughter(also requested) woman like a man(requested by me),childish,the professor(it was the first song) and the rest was pretty much new songs.He said he wasn't prepared and he had the lyrics printed out:he asked if we knew that the "concert" wasn't really a concert because he loves Iceland and he needed a excuse to come here...hehehehehe Vivi also did a song on the piano.The studio was an old house and we're sitting on the floor.There were people coming from california,spain,Ireland and when I said I'm from Brasil he said tho the rest of the people "here are the freaks" hahaha he was like "you guys come all the way just to see me...have you been to the doctor lately?" Then he asked if it was our first time in Iceland and if we have anything planned.Later he told us to meet him friday at the city hall and we will go plant some trees together with some kids ;-) He asked us if we liked the new songs and as we (me and the couple from california) said "yes,it was great" he "yes...of course you all think everything is great..." it was really amazing.I'm looking forward to the concert tomorrow as well to friday at the city hall.
Old 11-04-2009, 09:24 PM   #96
Joyful
Eskimama

Sounds lovely! Thanks so much for the report! Sounds like a lovely time!
Do you remember any lyrics from the new songs? Or the overall vibe/theme of the songs. Do they sound completely different or like any of his other songs?

Thanks again! Enjoy planting trees and the other show!
Joyful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 09:36 PM   #97
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

I remember something like "what did you do to her face?...what did you do to her smile? "she goes back to her man" "no one needs to know,but me"...its difficult,but there were things like that I wont forgot...The songs are amazing...it was impossible to not like them or compare to the other songs... they are completely new,different from the songs of the "9" which we knew most of them from before...he mentioned he wants a studio version of "The professor" and it was the first song he did and asked us to not make any noise,not sing along or applause. I will try to get more of the lyrics tomorrow...Towards the end of "childish" he forgot the lyrics and he was like "****" and stopped to try to remember the rest of the lyrics and then finished it...but always in a very good mood and great energy...
Old 11-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #98
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

so jealous!!! but glad you had a blast!!!

did he said anything about the album?

so how many newies did you get in total?????
Old 11-04-2009, 10:45 PM   #99
verenita
... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie R. View Post
he asked if we knew that the "concert" wasn't really a concert because he loves Iceland and he needed a excuse to come here...hehehehehe

this is a good one! and i love the idea of planting trees
cheers on vyv presence... and thanks, amie, for coming to here to share this amazing moment with us
keep enjoying.
Old 11-04-2009, 11:24 PM   #100
October Sky
Eskimo Regular

That sounds so amazing! It's so cool that people flew from everywhere to see him! I'm so glad you got to go- what an amazing experience! This was really cool of him to do!

I don't blame him, sometimes art just doesn't turn out how you think it will. You can write a song that you hope to be brilliant, or work on a story that's going to be the next Harry Potter, but then you realize it's just not good enough because it's not your best and you can do better. He should release new songs when he thinks it's right and not just for the sake of releasing a new album.
October Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:26 PM   #101
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

We need a studio version of face, insane, if you leave me now, beast and beauty, you shouldn't be here, what this might is for, tongue
I was hoping this would be a full band harder electronic radiohead sounding album like he has been moving towards in his live shows. When he loops and jams on my yoke and volcano and I remember and Prague and elephant, I love that.

Remember when Dylan went electric?

What happened to the collaboration album?
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009, 11:44 PM   #102
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

awesome reviews amie - I am with marti - very jealous!!

sounds to me this is damo being damo - not sure what we get out of it but it sounds like a tremendous time for all who are/were there - enjoy the rest of the week - how awesome is all that hanging in a studio and planting trees with the dude??!!

funny on the of course all is great comment!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:38 AM   #103
ElephantMan
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shillelagh View Post
We need a studio version of face, insane, if you leave me now, beast and beauty, you shouldn't be here, what this might is for, tongue
I was hoping this would be a full band harder electronic radiohead sounding album like he has been moving towards in his live shows. When he loops and jams on my yoke and volcano and I remember and Prague and elephant, I love that.

Remember when Dylan went electric?

What happened to the collaboration album?
I would love to here new recordings of (some)these songs , Especially "you shouldn't be here', that is one of my Favorites, brilliant.

However, I want 10+ songs I have never heard before, no exceptions, i will be dissapointed 10% for every 'unNEW" song, exception maybe being 'you shouldnt be here'.

plus I thought Tongue was well done by BellX1
ElephantMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:54 AM   #104
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

No,he did not say much about the album,but that he has been busy doing "funnier" things than working for the last 2 and a half years....hahahaha it was quite funny to hear and especially good to see that he is happy about what he has been doing.He said " I want to entertain you guys,but at the same time I don't wanna give a ****"...it was after he asked us if it was strange to hear so many new songs that we never heard before.He did around 8 new songs or even more because it lasted a bit over 2 hours!!! He has a studio at home but he needed the energy of an audience to record the songs. I don't think he feels under pressure or anything like that. he seems very self confident and the songs are beaaaaaaautiful! I heard them and paid very much attention to what he was saying and it sounds more like "o" than "9".Like an whole history...I felt like crying most of the time,but I managed to hold myself together....I'm so happy being part of it
BTW he said after Island he will be going to New York to work (didn't mention a concert,but who knows...)so maybe you guys in america get to see him too...I better save up money ;-) I would love to see NY...

Last edited by Amie R.; 11-05-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Amie R. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:11 PM   #105
Joyful
Eskimama

^ So exciting! Thanks again for the great report. I can't wait to hear the new songs one day. Enjoy the rest of your trip!
Old 11-05-2009, 12:36 PM   #106
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie R. View Post
(...) as we (me and the couple from california) said "yes,it was great" he "yes...of course you all think everything is great..."
Heh, the F*cker, tsk tsk...
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 PM   #107
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

but wait... there were 2 shows yesterday right??? or just 1??? cos I thought there were a total of 4 gigs, 2 per day???

Wow, so you got like 9-10 new songs???? Wonder if these are for the duets album for nature or for his solo album 3?????
Old 11-05-2009, 12:53 PM   #108
maihaidang
Eskimo Baby

Thank you so much for your report, Amie. God bless you. Please report more info about the concert tonight as soon as you can. Thank you.

BrokenDoll, why don't you give us some information, your thougt about the new songs, lyrics you like or something. Pleaseeeeee

And btw, hello from Viet Nam !
maihaidang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 12:56 PM   #109
maihaidang
Eskimo Baby

I have the same question as borneoman, is it about nature, something about mother earth or his solo album ? ^^
Old 11-05-2009, 01:49 PM   #110
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cille View Post
Heh, the F*cker, tsk tsk...
He said he has twin friends in Ireland and he call them "the happy pair" because they think everything is great...like when he show them new songs they say "yes Damien its great..." and he never knows if its really good or not...I think he was trying to say he wont trust people coming from abroad because we are like the happy pair...hahahaha its was very funny actually..
Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 PM   #111
cille
creepycute

^I know I know, and of course you thought that was great too, even though he was being a little insulting

Sounds like an awesome experience, A. R.
Also sounds like a really tiny crowd, or what?
Old 11-05-2009, 02:21 PM   #112
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks again, amie
cool report you gave us. keep having fun!

ps: very welcome maihaidang.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:32 PM   #113
Joyful
Eskimama

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
but wait... there were 2 shows yesterday right??? or just 1??? cos I thought there were a total of 4 gigs, 2 per day???

Wow, so you got like 9-10 new songs???? Wonder if these are for the duets album for nature or for his solo album 3?????
Fingers crossed it's for solo album #3. It sounds like that based on the kinds of songs he played.
Old 11-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #114
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

so did anyone go to the 2nd show off the 1st day??

I think these songs have to be for Album 3... cos it would be weird if he was performing all the duets songs solo...

maybe they're the Songs from Barcelona :P

EDIT:
Amie, this is a partial live version of one of the 10 Days to Barcelona songs done last summer at Reykjavik Do you recognize it?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRnGi...layer_embedded

Last edited by borneoman; 11-05-2009 at 02:41 PM.
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 03:50 PM   #115
maihaidang
Eskimo Baby

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
thanks again, amie
cool report you gave us. keep having fun!

ps: very welcome maihaidang.
Thank you very much

borneoman, you got me again , I really hope new album will have songs from his Barcelona trip. Im so in love with this song from day 6 and hope he will love it enough to put in the new album

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21Ytu-abwF8

Last edited by maihaidang; 11-05-2009 at 03:58 PM.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:07 PM   #116
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

wow... i'm speechless and sooooooooooooooooooo jealous!!! GAHH!!! Amazing how it's organized. I want to go plant trees and talk to damien too! haha.

****ing amazing... I'm so jealous.... Thanks for sharing sooo much! I hope we get to see/hear everything you guys did eventually! Keep sharing! <3
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:25 PM   #117
Samart
Nothing unusual...

Oh yeah. Oh yeah... O H Y E A H . Please have a good time. If he goes to record in New York after february 2010, I will definitively try to be a part of it. I will be back to France then.

Most of all, I want to hear the new songs. If I had only one request. INSANE !
I want INSANE studio version. 'Cause I'm insane. Yeah

Please enjoy yourself with Damien.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:44 PM   #118
BrokenDoll
Eskimo Baby

Oh. My. God. I went to both shows last night and it was beyond amaizing! I'm so sorry, but I really don't have the time right now to post a full report, but I will, probably this weekend.

I'm just gonna tell you that the new songs are amaizing! Really a lot to look forward to guys!

Here's a list of the old songs he did;
First gig
The Professor & La Fille Danse (longer version)
Lonely Soldier
Sand
Childish
Woman Like a Man
Volcano
Blower's Daughter
Second gig
Delicate
I Remember
9 Crimes
Cheer's Darling
Eskimo

I went up to him after the later gig and asked him if he had any plans to record Fool or Insane and he said that they were on the list and that he had actually played Fool in the gig that afternoon (which he didn't, I was there, so he liiiied to me! haha) but he was going to New York to do the more "heavier" songs there, I'm guessing with the rest of the band. Anyway, I told him that those songs were great and should be recorded. Then he said they would, but they wouldn't be released on the new album, that there will only be new songs on the new album. But he seems to be getting songs recorded that he's been meaning to for a while, so I'm crossing my fingers and hoping for another B-side album.

I will post more about the new songs later, really gotta go now. I'm gonna try to see him tomorrow too, so, I'll tell you guys about it later.
BrokenDoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:15 PM   #119
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

^

No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 09:24 PM   #120
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenDoll View Post
Then he said that there will only be new songs on the new album.

Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote