... trusty and true ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
vere we will miss you
next time you'll come with us!
i do regret not going now! next time for sure glo, you still owe me a visit

Quote:
Originally Posted by carrroline View Post
Aaaaaaaaahrg my train was cancelled... But after crying for about an hour in public (really embarrassing), it seems that I will make it just in time. (I hope)
it´s a story you can damien after the show... and claim for a hug
enjoy!
Old 07-27-2013, 12:52 PM   #92
Fjordline
Eskimo Friend

I wish I could be there tonight. Have an awesome concert everyone. I'm looking foreward to read from you afterwards.

I'll be at this vineyard http://www.baron-knyphausen.de/index.htm listening to great music as well.
Fjordline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 01:29 PM   #93
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

For anyone interested I'm in front of the venue nearby the fountain with my goatee and my sunglasses taking some rest. Its too hot to do anything . I'll check the forum at 3pm 4 pm and 5 pm if you want to meet somewhere else. David's hotel ? What time ?
cuuliem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 03:39 PM   #94
carrroline
person

Hey Cuuliem
Looks like I'll arrive in the train station 'round 6pm. So I'll have to hurry to the place where I'm staying, then quickly freshen up and go to the venue. So unfortunately I won't have time for a proper meeting
Hope you find the other guys.

Haha, Verenita... I'll never tell him... He'll think I'm weird and crazy, travelling all this way just to see him.
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2013, 05:11 PM   #95
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Hey Cuuliem
Looks like I'll arrive in the train station 'round 6pm. So I'll have to hurry to the place where I'm staying, then quickly freshen up and go to the venue. So unfortunately I won't have time for a proper meeting
Hope you find the other guys.

Haha, Verenita... I'll never tell him... He'll think I'm weird and crazy, travelling all this way just to see him.
I'm waiting with Chrysler in front of the venue he's trying to sell an extra ticket. There's a small stage outside. There's a guy singing
Old 07-27-2013, 11:01 PM   #96
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

sorry all - been scurrying around fighting the lag etc!!

here are my notes ver batem - too tired to edit!!! all I can say is this was absolutely brilliant - one of the best shows EVER - and not just Damo...........the rest of the vacatio9n we have planned could just suck as we have been to the top of the mountain!!!

so here goes

Fool
Delicate
I remember
9 crimes
Finally a smile and a little talk........story about a boy fella feeling frustrated looking at the gray skies.....amie story Amie Now more talk......continuation of a similar theme....as a teenager they often are confused (well so are adults) - 13 year old b-day 1m chf in cash. Day 2, 3 another 1m chf and put way to somewhere safe.........which is tough because we get a million sperm every day etc hilarious!
The Professor
Elephant
Rootless Tree
Thank you are all very good nobody throwing anything - not that I am complaining as I don't need anyone throwing anything....So there's and then a little devilish laugh. Cannonball story.
Cannonball
Started and then stopped and "oh by the way I hadn't really kissed any parts - hilarious!"
Volcano
So awesome! At first no one after he asked went up but ended with like a 60 with my wife one of them! Was fantastic!
Old or new........back and forth but one gal stood out Eskimo Encore Cheers Darling Cute girl came up on stage - first glass chugged......second chugged as well....things started going well......third glass chugged! Boyfriend picking me up at midnight!......great improve at the end with greg was his name........cool Cold Water with guest! Katerina - fantastic. Damo was that was great. Bravo. I am yours now!
What is the real time........oh good now the radio station stopped recording so now I can swear.
Just so you know concert was supposed to end so I am not responsible for anything that follows....nor am I getting paid for anything follows something new for their fun......
The Greatest Bastard
So I am working on a new record.......its really nice - wait nice is such a crap word - feels great to just play since I haven't released a record in seven years so thanks! Love diatribe.........
A concert of lies.....this one too a lie though I believed it at the time!
Blower's Daughter
Second encore!!
Some dude who damo noticed and was playing outside the KKL before - after five minutes they came back - Jimmie from Scotland - more wine! You don't make dreams like this - my mum would be so proud!

Great song!

Now duo of hallelujalah!!!!

Such a great night!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 12:21 AM   #97
cuuliem
Eskimo Regular

I've met Chrysler glo and the Italian group and Marti. Couldn't find david nor carrroline. . did you guys attend the post show on the lawn by the lake?
Old 07-28-2013, 12:32 AM   #98
carrroline
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuuliem View Post
I've met Chrysler glo and the Italian group and Marti. Couldn't find david nor carrroline. . did you guys attend the post show on the lawn by the lake?
Yeah i was there eventually I was looking for him but couldn't find him at first. I was further back, so couldn't really hear a lot. When I arrived he was playing grey room.

Sorry i missed you guys. I kinda chickened out of meeting all of you. I'm not really a 'group' person, if that makes any sense.

I will never forget the show tonight.... Best thing ever. Worth all the trouble getting here. (Lucerne is amazing, I'll have to come back here soon.)
The acoustics were marvelous and Damien was out of this world. <3
Old 07-28-2013, 12:36 AM   #99
carrroline
person

Oh, and I was sooo lucky tonight someone switched tickets with me to sit next to her BF, so I ended up on row 5 instead of 9. Thank you sooooo much sweet unknown person!
And thanks Damien, for being brilliant.
(That version of 'Fool' that he started the set with took my breath away.)

Last edited by carrroline; 07-28-2013 at 01:13 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:25 AM   #100
Joyful
Eskimama

Loved reading this. Thanks or all the details David and carroline, great stuff.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #101
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

I met Marti on the way out - ran into serious berry battery problems so I was cut off from lo

i have been struggling the lag with something else so have been beat............ounded like he definitely wanted to keep going with his wine lol.............did you see him and how was that??

looks like we all may be seeing more of him lately!!!!
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:25 AM   #102
carrroline
person

I'll see him again in a week and a half. But he can't possibly top last night, so I'm going to try to lower my expectations
The standing ovation he got before the first encore that kept on going minutes after he returned gave me chills... But he earned it!

What was that song that he made us sing during the aftershow? Was it completely new? I've never heared it before. The guitar sounded very much like an Irish traditional, but the lyrics were very much Damien...

Last edited by carrroline; 07-28-2013 at 07:29 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:02 AM   #103
cactus360
Eskimo Friend

Last time I saw Damien Rice live was in 2007!

Yesterday evening....I thought that I would miss Lisa Hannigan, but in fact he was so PERFECT...and so funny and so.... and so.....!It was really different( so powerful...I can't find the words) and I felt a lot of emotions........

Yesterday was one of the best live experience of my life!

In fact reading this thread, I saw a lot of eskimo friends!!!

And thank you for the setlist!
cactus360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #104
carrroline
person

So, who did you see? Not me, right?
He was so generous last night and focused, and very funny.
Old 07-28-2013, 09:28 AM   #105
cactus360
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
So, who did you see? Not me, right?
He was so generous last night and focused, and very funny.
Yes I saw you (when you changed for row 5 with YOUR GREAT smile...I was in raw 6)...

...and Cuuliem talking with Chrysler in front of the venue (I only asked for his ticket's price) and of course Glo32 who sold me the ticket (THANK YOU!)

But sorry I didn't know who is on this forum or not.....
Old 07-28-2013, 09:44 AM   #106
carrroline
person

Yeah... That made me very happy )
Although I was perfectly happy with row 9.
Damn, here I was thinking I could remain totally mysterious and anonymous ... Must be more careful with what I post.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:51 AM   #107
cactus360
Eskimo Friend

So tell us more about the aftershow.....(I had to go back home)

songs?people?....
Old 07-28-2013, 11:20 AM   #108
carrroline
person

Damien & the Scottish busker (Jamie (?) something)
I got there late. Don't know how much I've missed, but by the time I got there the wine was finished and he was asking for beer.
I arrived during 'grey room'
Then a song by Jamie, I think.
The (new?) Damien song that I didn't know (where the audience has to sing a few lyrics over and over again (not back to her man))
Another song by Jamie
A long improv about the moon, because someone shouted 'hey Damien have you seen the moon?'
And that's it.
I guess the other eskimos were there before I was.
Anyone?

Last edited by carrroline; 07-28-2013 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-28-2013, 11:32 AM   #109
blower'sdaughter
Eskimo Friend

the song about the moon Was like written in that moment by him and us. I think a very good song came out!!

Lalalalalalalaa
Old 07-28-2013, 11:34 AM   #110
carrroline
person

Hey,
Tell us more please.....
What came before grey room? Please?
Old 07-28-2013, 04:53 PM   #111
blower'sdaughter
Eskimo Friend

I'm afraid I could forget something right now because I swear I'm still stunned and haven't slept yet ahah...anyway
I think he did the box before grey room, than the scottish singer played a song. they didn't talk too much, the best part began with the moon song! the atmosphere started to relax at that time... you didn't miss that much

oh, did someone notice that there was julia dubsky at the aftershow??
Old 07-28-2013, 05:10 PM   #112
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 05:13 PM   #113
blower'sdaughter
Eskimo Friend

nothing has been uploaded yet!!! just this one... oooh gosh >.<
Old 07-28-2013, 05:14 PM   #114
glo32
Eskimo Regular

SETLIST

1. Fool
2. Delicate
3. I Remember
4. 9 Crimes
5. Amie
6. The Professor & La Fille Danse
7. Elephant
8. Rootless Tree
9. Cannonball
10. Volcano
11. Eskimo

12. Cheers Darlin'
13. Cold Water
14. The Greatest Bastard
15. The Blower's Daughter

16. You mean something to me (sung by Jamie McGeechan of Little Fire)
17. Hallelujah (with Jamie)

AFTERSHOW
1. The Box
2. Grey Room
3. Trusty and True
4. Have You Seen The Moon (improv song)

The gig was just great. He seemed in a great mood, really into the songs. The audience was very respectful, very quiet during songs but cheerful in between. Most of the people maybe lacked a bit of participation at first, but it got better after a few songs.
The venue was incredible, juts incredible. Both the concert hall and the area around the venue... this festival is really awesome.

First we went to see the Meet The Artist thing. A bit boring since we didn't know any of the artists (mainly electronic artists and bands). Damien didn't show up.

Then the gig itself: Damien started at 8.15 and didn't talk for the first three or four songs. Then started chatting, telling "sperm" stories about Amie and The Professor.
Elephant was just incredible. His voice sounded so powerful and he really seemed into what he was singing, like if those songs suddenly have new meaning for him. Especially Rootless Tree, where he changed the "**** you" part in "I love you" all throughout the song.

Then he briefly introduced Cannonball, with a story I had never heard. It's about a guy that hangs at a table with a girl, and then the girl leaves and he misses her at the point that he still feels her presence, or something like that. He then started playing Cannonball, but when he sang "there's still a little bit of your taste in my mouth" he stopped and saying "oh, just to be clear, I didn't really kissed the girl, it all just happened in my mind!" and everyone was laughing.

Volcano was great, with about 70-80 people on stage. Then Eskimo on request, and the "classic" Cheers Darlin' where he really drank a lot of wine. I felt that at this point he was rushing the storytelling because there was a curfew at 10 pm. He kept asking for the time. At some point he realized it was 10.07 and so it was past curfew time, and said something like "ok, the gig should already be over so let's just pretend the gig is finished, and everything that will happen from now on is not really happening. you didn't even pay for what will happen from now on. I am not even getting paid for what will happen from now on!" and then asked for more requests, saying something like "ok I'm here for requests, what do you want to here? Use me!".
But everyone was asking for different songs, then he remember that after Volcano, when we were still on the stage, Marti had asked him for The Greatest Bastard. So he played it... and it was really great. What a great song, really.
Then he said he is working on the new album, and that it's been 7 years since the last album and it's really amazing that people still show up at his gigs... and then he played The Blower's Daughter. He however said he would meet us afterwards for "some jamming" by the lake.

Then he said goodbye and went away, so I immediately went to the toilet and then left the venue. Later I found out that he went on stage for a second encore, with Jamie McGeechan of Little Fire (that was playing outside the venue earlier in the afternoon). Unfortunately I missed that

After the gig he came out and came with us by the lake. We sat on the grass, and he and Jamie started playing songs. One song Damien, one Jamie.
The Box was the first song, then Grey Room.
Then he took a moment to think about which song to play, and he decided to play a new song. The first lyrics was something like "We've wanted to be trusty and true". That's all I remember so in the setlist I just put the title "trusty and true". The song was beautiful, almost sounded like a traditional song at first, but with the typical Damien sound and lyrics. It also had a part that he made a sing, and there was a long outro. I think it would make a perfect album closing.
Then a guy said "Damien, have you seen the moon? Sing us a song about the moon!", so he looked at the moon and started improvising a song, really long (something like 8-10 minutes) with a long jam with Jamie at the end.

After that, the manager and a security guy came and told him it was time to go. He thanked everyone and said goodbye.

The gig lasted something like 2 hours and 5 minutes, his longest gig I've seen, and it looked like he didn't want to leave at all. He seemed very relaxed and happy to be there, playing songs to people. At some point, Jamie told him something like "it was nice, it's a nice place" and Damien replied "everywhere is a nice place if your mind is clear".

Last edited by glo32; 07-28-2013 at 05:35 PM.
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #115
cactus360
Eskimo Friend

On youtube: Volcano part 1 and 2...and Hallelujah!

but I don't know how to put a link....
Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 PM   #116
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

As Glo has explained, amazing show! Any show that starts with Fool cannot go wrong besides Fool, I really liked Amie, Elephant, volcano, I remember and Cold water with the girl from the audience. Audience was probably the quietest ive ever seen, at first no one moved when he asked people to go pnstafe for Volcano, the Italian team we had to go up first and then people followed at last.

But the best thing was Greatest Bastard which I requested so was really happy to get it, best song ever

And the aftershow was perfection, The box and Grey Room were incredibly powerful and the newie was very Van Morrison-esque
Old 07-28-2013, 09:27 PM   #117
carrroline
person

Quote:
Originally Posted by blower'sdaughter View Post
oh, did someone notice that there was julia dubsky at the aftershow??
No, I didn't. But I think she was sitting next to me in KKL. It was a blonde girl with a familiar face, and now you mention her, I think it might have been her.

Thanks Glo, for the summary.

Does anyone remember the lyrics the audience sang during the new song?

Last edited by carrroline; 07-28-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:00 PM   #118
blower'sdaughter
Eskimo Friend

Does she follow him everywhere?? If so, I hope she does it as a fan... I don't think I'd like her to be his musical partner. Come on, after Lisa no one can >.<

amazing amazing show. I'm glad glo and marti perfectly reviewed it because I still have no words to describe it... I don't think it was possible to love more damien, but so he made it possible thanks for the video! I hope there is another one in better quality to come
Old 07-28-2013, 10:04 PM   #119
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

nice but meh

Last edited by Shillelagh; 07-28-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 PM   #120
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

volcano

moon jam

hallelujiah

Last edited by Shillelagh; 07-28-2013 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Shillelagh
This message has been deleted by Shillelagh.
Old 07-28-2013, 10:07 PM
Shillelagh
This message has been deleted by Shillelagh.