Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 06-03-2004, 05:48 PM   #1
ayla*
Eskimo Baby

im intrigued about the stories behind damiens songs, ive heard some from damien at concerts, some in articles or friends etc.

an interesting one is - cold water was written when he was feeling trapped inside himself, like the world was closing in - so apparantly he ran himself a cold bath, and lay in it with his head under the water until he was about to pass out - so when he came back above the water the air was heaven to him, and he appreciated every breath like he had never done before - im not sure if its about learning to appreciate and take nothing for granted....

he said he came up with the tune while he was under the water....

any way, so if anyone has stories behind songs they they have heard anywhere ...then id love to hear them....especially volcano and blowers daughter (who is his flute teachers daughter..?)

thank u xxxxxxxxxx[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 06-03-2004, 11:56 PM   #2
jenn fox
Eskimo Regular

Wow i hadn't heard that one about cold water yet, but between all of us here who have been to the shows i think we can give you a few stories behind the songs. There's not much we know about the Blowers daughter except for that she was his clarinet/flute (i've heard both) teacher's daughter.What's interesting though is that in an interview damien said that he couldn't quite get it right when he was recording the song for the albumn so he tried a bunch of different things but he finally had to end up bringing in the blowers daughter herself so he could play it in front of her and that's the version we hear on the record. Lucky lass [img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img]
jenn fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2004, 11:58 PM   #3
Miss Pink
Eskimo Regular

id love a gut to do that 4 me.......id jst cry cuz it wud be so sweet.....the daughter was young wasnt she? Edited by: Miss Pink
Old 06-04-2004, 12:19 AM   #4
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

Hey everyone here is a link to the story Damo all says before Amie - http://www.bandbuilder.com/damienrice/

He then plays loads of spaceship sounds before and after the song and calls it a "Song for scottish people"

Only other stories i know are ones like the one for cheers darlin where Damo says this guy starts talking to this girl in a bar and they drink and have fun all night and then the guy realises tht he has missed his bus and thinks "sh*t" [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]. He then realises that this girl gets the same bus so it isn't too bad. The guy thinks it is kinda cute that they are both out together late. The guy kind of thinks he has a chance with this woman. So they carry on drinking and having fun when suddenly this girl says that she has to go and her boyfriend turns up to pick her up. She then leaves. The guy obviously bemused and pissed off picks up a guiness bar mat and tears off the parts untill he only has the white bit showing. He writes on this bar mat.............

Cheers darlin'
Here's to you and your lover boy
Cheers darlin'
I got years to wait around for you
Cheers darlin'
I've got your wedding bells in my ear
Cheers darlin'
You give me three cigarettes to smoke my tears away

And I die when you mention his name
And I lied, I should have kissed you
When we were running in the rain

What am I darlin'?
A whisper in your ear?
A piece of your cake?
What am I, darlin?
The boy you can fear?
Or your biggest mistake?

Cheers darlin'
Here's to you and your lover man
Cheers darlin'
I just hang around and eat from a can
Cheers darlin'
I got a ribbon of green on my guitar
Cheers darlin'
I got a beauty queen
To sit not very far from here

I die when he comes around
To take you home
I'm too shy
I should have kissed you when we were alone

hat am I darlin'?
A whisper in your ear?
A piece of your cake?
What am I, darlin?
The boy you can fear?
Or your biggest mistake?

Oh what am I? What am I darlin'?
I got years to wait...

So thats the cheers darlin story. The other one i know is one he said at a gig that i went to of his in brixton academy, london. The story went to older chests................ Damo said that older chests is about how he feels older things are always the best. He wrote it in Dublin over looking some old building and felt that these older things were always better than the new things. He says for example of how on tour him and the band have found them selves doing less for themsleves because there are others to do it for them. He states that things that stay the same are always the best. Sorry for the vague explanation can't remember too much of the story.

Older CHests - "Some things in life may change
But some things they stay the same"

This is about all i know in terms of Damo storys. I find them all interesting. hope it is of some use!
mestonf is offline   Reply With Quote