Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

View Poll Results: Have you done the deed?
More than Once 20 22.99%
Yes - One occasion 21 24.14%
No 41 47.13%
Wouldn't want to incase it ruined my expectations 5 5.75%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-27-2007, 05:16 PM   #1
Moves-My-World
Eskimo Regular

Default Have you met Damien?

Simple poll, just leave your comments on the mater
Moves-My-World is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #2
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

I think if I did, I wouldn't really know what to say. On the one hand I would love to meet him, but it really isn't that important. It may ruin the illusion
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:48 PM   #3
Mikko
Eskimo Friend

I just wish I'd get to see him in concert.
Old 08-27-2007, 06:51 PM   #4
lalla32
Eskimo Regular

Never met... and I don't really know if it will ever happen. I wouldn't have the guts to say anything... but being able to shake his hand and to say "thank you" wuould be more than enough for me!
lalla32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 06:55 PM   #5
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

No....haven't even seen him in concert yet. But lalla32 I tooootally agree.....I would just want to say thank you over and over again!
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 08:26 PM   #6
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

Maan i've been a fan for yonks, but have never even seen him live. I probably wouldn't have too much to say to him if I saw him for real, apart from "I really really like your stuff, you've inspired me a lot, thank you" but it's not how i usually strike up conversation, so he'd be "thankyou it means alot" and would probably be busy and move on etc etc, if i had a demo recorded I'd definitely shove it into his hand though.
Old 08-27-2007, 08:58 PM   #7
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

it's a dream of mine to meet him .. but then again, i'd be speechless when i do and i wouldn't know what to talk about but the music :P
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:04 PM   #8
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

I met him twice on the same day First just walking down the street by pure chance, than at the post-show meet'n'greet. At least in the US, if you wait after the show, he always stops and talks to fans, and you can request/ask about songs, ask about future gigs or just get a hug
borneoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:25 PM   #9
Mort
Czech Eskimo

Haven't met him yet. I saw him twice this year - for the first time I didn't bother to stay after the show. The second time I finally found a courage to stay but he left the venue early after the show so I had no chance to meet him. I guess I'm not very lucky. ;-)

Berlin 15/3/07, Dresden 22/7/07, Prague 10/7/12.

last.fm
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

met him, shane and joel after the louisville gig - we were sitting in an outside cafe across the street when we heard some shouting - of course my wife beelined it like a mad woman and I followed - they came out the front door like 15 minutes after the show ended because damien wanted a 7up!!! How funny is that???!! Anyway they were all great - very cordial and kind - we spoke aboout the tour and he talked about traveling around in the bus - memorable moment! Anyway the three of them went strolling down the street toward Fourth Stree Live.....
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:15 PM   #11
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Come to think of it, I would probably say something along the lines of "I know you dont take pictures, but can I have a hug?" haha a hug would be amazing!
Old 08-27-2007, 10:17 PM   #12
Mort
Czech Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcotyalex
they came out the front door like 15 minutes after the show ended because damien wanted a 7up!!!
Haha! Oh my gosh, am I the only one who just burst to laugh?

Berlin 15/3/07, Dresden 22/7/07, Prague 10/7/12.

last.fm
Mort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2007, 10:34 PM   #13
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

ive chatted with him twice and both occasions dont strike me as lifechanging in the least

ive seen him a dozen times since and dont feel the need to approach or say anything. usually just a passing smile or a few winks of the eye and a "hubba hubba"

i think im sending him wrong signals tho

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:12 AM   #14
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Not at all... but i know that if i did i would just do the typical thing of asking him for a pic and then run out of shyness!!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:25 AM   #15
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mort
Haha! Oh my gosh, am I the only one who just burst to laugh?
hmmm i dont really understand the comedy in the fact that the man enjoys a cold beverage...am i missing something?
Old 08-28-2007, 01:40 AM   #16
viv
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
usually just a passing smile or a few winks of the eye and a "hubba hubba"

i think im sending him wrong signals tho
um, yeah. I can just imagine someone smiling, winking a couple of times, and following that with "hubba hubba." He probably fears you!
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:04 AM   #17
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
um, yeah. I can just imagine someone smiling, winking a couple of times, and following that with "hubba hubba." He probably fears you!
haha i can hear it now...

(at a damien gig in the future)

"so theres this ummmm guy and he ummm **pause** well i see him quite often at err **silently thinks**you know, at multiple, different places, and he's always walkin' past me and winkin' at me. and ummm, well, the first time i actually saw this ***pauses, thinks*** saw this person, i thought i heard him say **laughs**, well i mean i could have sworn i heard him say, "hubba hubba" (crowd laughs), but you know i thought, well i ummm, i thought i must have been imagining things, but i saw him again after that, a good amount of **thinks silently** a good amount of time later, and he said it again! (crowd laughs)...and i think ive seen this person maybe a dozen times, since that **thinks** since that time, and every time, sure enough, he winks, smiles, and says "hubba hubba" (crowd laughs hysterically), so all of the particular **thinks*** these particular occasions inspired me to write my third album, which is all upbeat songs, entitled "For the Hubba Hubba Man."

haha that may not be funny at all, but i sure did enjoy writing it
Old 08-28-2007, 02:47 AM   #18
SoCal
Eskimo Pie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM
haha i can hear it now...

(at a damien gig in the future)

"so theres this ummmm guy and he ummm **pause** well i see him quite often at err **silently thinks**you know, at multiple, different places, and he's always walkin' past me and winkin' at me. and ummm, well, the first time i actually saw this ***pauses, thinks*** saw this person, i thought i heard him say **laughs**, well i mean i could have sworn i heard him say, "hubba hubba" (crowd laughs), but you know i thought, well i ummm, i thought i must have been imagining things, but i saw him again after that, a good amount of **thinks silently** a good amount of time later, and he said it again! (crowd laughs)...and i think ive seen this person maybe a dozen times, since that **thinks** since that time, and every time, sure enough, he winks, smiles, and says "hubba hubba" (crowd laughs hysterically), so all of the particular **thinks*** these particular occasions inspired me to write my third album, which is all upbeat songs, entitled "For the Hubba Hubba Man."

haha that may not be funny at all, but i sure did enjoy writing it

No, that was hilarious! You captured him to the t. I see it now....his next album will be called "H" and we'll all know that it stands for the Hubba Hubba man before everyone else does.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:11 AM   #19
davidcotyalex
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenM
hmmm i dont really understand the comedy in the fact that the man enjoys a cold beverage...am i missing something?
I think it was that he, Shane and Joel walked out the Front Door of the theatre like 15 minutes after the gig ended - just to get a 7Up! - as compared to waiting by the back door where the buses, etc are (and for up to two hours)...just my opinion....
davidcotyalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 04:16 AM   #20
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

STOP MOCKING ME!!!

ah no its quite funny really

HUBBA HUBBA DAMIEN

YOU KNOW YOU WANT TO BABY

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:06 AM   #21
mucker
Eskimo Mucker

Default Uhhh, meeting the Kid....

I'm sure I never would, except by accident. And if I did have that accident, of course I'd love to shake his hand, give him a wink, and just say Thanx for re-connecting me to the non-chest thumping world of real reality.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:43 AM   #22
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

Both times were odd...i felt like he felt awkward. Sweet though...

(and I've met Simon too!)
Old 08-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #23
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleillily
Both times were odd...i felt like he felt awkward. Sweet though...

i met him about a month ago and i too felt like he felt it was awkward a bit. i know he's a shy guy so i tried not to bother him. i just told him that even though he heard it daily, his music changed my life and is incredibly inspiring. and then i asked him about his new cd that he's recording to benefit the environment. he didn't give many details other than that he's doing it with 'some friends' and it's about halfway done.

let me just echo what others have said... meeting him is a much bigger deal before it happens. it won't make you feel the satisfaction that you think it will. unfortunately. it was nice though.
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 01:39 PM   #24
Adelaide
Eskimo Princess

I met him twice over the span of three days, first in Toronto then in Montreal. in Toronto there was a big crowd and as he declined pictures and autographs (very politely of course) I asked for a hug, lol. Then in Montreal there were only about 5-6 people hanging around, so I kind of talked to him a bit more but I didn't tell him I was the girl that asked for a hug in Toronto. ha ha... good times.
Adelaide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:01 PM   #25
dawno
just mildly free

My husband and I met Damien, Lisa, Tomo, Shane & Vyv outside of the Beacon Theatre in NYC in May '04.... it was a chilly rainy night, yet everyone was gracious enough to chat with us and sign autographs. My husband actually held an umbrella over Lisa for a good 20 minutes and helped Vyv carry her cello onto the tour bus.
dawno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 02:37 PM   #26
GlttrGrrl
Eskimo Goddess

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soleillily
Now that's something for me to be jealous of! hubba hubba
Old 08-28-2007, 04:15 PM   #27
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i wish i did!... butím so far ths could happen!

glad for everybody who could say hi (at least) to him!
Old 08-28-2007, 05:55 PM   #28
FightthegdFight
Eskimo Regular

Twice, once very briefly and once what ended up being quite a nice conversation.

They were incredibly different experiences.

The first time I met him, he was very open and warm. He was joking around, laughing, asked a fan for a smoke, and talked for quite a bit. Also, he's probably the best hugger you'll ever meet.

The second time, he was much more brief and shy. He felt almost stand-off-ish. But he did remember me, so I think that makes up for it.

I think the best way to describe him is that he's exactly as you'd imagine. He's just a person and he's about as genuine as a person as you'd meet.

Last edited by FightthegdFight; 08-28-2007 at 06:02 PM.
FightthegdFight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 06:09 PM   #29
viv
Eskimo Regular

I saw him outside a gig once. He talked for a while to several people. I'm no good at conversing with people I don't know (i never know what to say ) so I didn't try talking to him. It was funny though cause all the girls were asking for hugs, and getting them, and all the guys were shaking his hand, until this kid steps up, awkwardly shakes his hand and then just says "ah, **** it" and goes in for the biggest bear hug. Damien seemed to think it was pretty funny.
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2007, 07:03 PM   #30
Kristi
The Prodigal Eskimo

Ive met damien a couple times before and after shows. He was very nice and friendly... he did give a great hug too! He drew a picture of "me" and signed his name on the shirt I bought. That was pretty cool, even though he did it for the other girls standing around too