Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 11-17-2006, 12:53 AM   #1
mickey13086
Eskimo with a name..Chris

Default Juniper Question adn thoughts

So I know many details about Juniper and the songs they sang and why they broke up, etc.

My question is first...are there any eskimos out there that followed Juniper when they were out (I'm not even sure of how popular they were...cuz it seems at least live there were a lot of followers.) I'm guessing eskimo's that are around the age of Damien Rice himself might be the best ones to ask this to, and those who live/lived in Ireland.

So basically, was anyone a fan or a big fan? And how popular were they for the time they were together.

Thank you!!

Also... I am listening to 'You' by Juniper and there are some lines in there that are awesome... "lost in 20 something (i think thats it)"...the way its sung is awesome.

Also...ive asked this before and dont remember getting an answer...
I am not the one to ask about instruments and guitars specifically... so what is that unique guitar sound that is present in a majority of juniper's songs that you don't hear often in other music. It might be just something small and stupid but I have no idea and have always wanted more artists to use that unique sound (at least its unique to me cuz i dont hear it often)

MySpace

Last edited by mickey13086; 11-17-2006 at 01:17 AM.
mickey13086 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:35 PM   #2
eamo_rice
meh

I wasn't aware of them at the time myself. However, im always rabiting on about Damien Rice to anyone who'll listen and one day my Singaporean flatmate turned round to me and said "oh i now who he is now, he was in Juniper". i was a bit amazed by this and asked "how do you know juniper?" and she said they were big in Singapore years agao, but she thought they mustve broken up as they dissappeared. their biggest single (According to her) was "something about the weather" (Weatherman).

So there you go. Juniper: Big in Singapore
eamo_rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 12:57 PM   #3
Bumpman

They were actually quite popular around the time that Weatherman came out, I remember really liking them, I never got around to getting the single though, mostly because I was twelve and pocket money was a big deal. But if you were in Ireland at the time, and a teenager then you would have heard of them.

Last edited by Bumpman; 11-17-2006 at 01:00 PM.
Bumpman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:09 PM   #4
mickey13086

thanks!!

MySpace
Old 11-17-2006, 08:18 PM   #5
Gatsby
Eskimo Regular

i certainley remember when the single was out here, it was constantly played on radio. I liked the song but was never a "fan" really.
Also i remember Juniper played at my sisters debs (prom) it was in the early 90's when they used to be a wedding/hired band

https://www.twitch.tv/simonjmusic
Gatsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 08:38 PM   #6
mickey13086

haha... the mere picture of damien rice playing at a prom... that is hilarious.

can anyone help with information about the distinct juniper guitar...its probably an amateur question but ive always wondered

MySpace
Old 11-17-2006, 08:49 PM   #7
Niko
Eskimo Regular

The guitar question would be a very difficult one to answer without specific knowledge of the set-ups that Juniper used. There are so many different guitars, so many different amps, and so many different effects pedals - literally thousands of combinations, all of which will produce slightly (or not so slightly) different sounds.
Old 11-17-2006, 10:37 PM   #8
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelate
i certainley remember when the single was out here, it was constantly played on radio

i'd say there were backhanders flying all over the place.

my music teacher claims to have toured with juniper. i would ask him more but dont know what to ask

hes still tourin the legend. (music teacher)
i get to review his music and tell him whats wrong with it.
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #9
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mickey13086
So I know many details about Juniper and the songs they sang and why they broke up, etc.

My question is first...are there any eskimos out there that followed Juniper when they were out (I'm not even sure of how popular they were...cuz it seems at least live there were a lot of followers.) I'm guessing eskimo's that are around the age of Damien Rice himself might be the best ones to ask this to, and those who live/lived in Ireland.

So basically, was anyone a fan or a big fan? And how popular were they for the time they were together.
yes I sort of followed Juniper back in those days although I never got to see them play live. I'd only been listening to irish music properly for about two years at that stage. One reason for me being interested in them was that the lead singer had the same surname as myself, but of course to make things complicated he always used the name 'Dodi Ma' back then.

I remember when I was in college Juniper were doing a record store tour around Ireland and they visited Golden Discs in Carlow. Two friends of mine who listen to heavier music happened to be there at the time and got both their CD's signed by the band. Of course years later, they can't find those CD's now.

'Weatherman' entered the Irish charts at something like No.17. It was unusal to have an Irish indie rock band having a single in the Top 20 in those days. The second single didn't do quite aswell but still managed to enter the Top 30. I couldn't find it in any record store around here when I went to buy it.

I also remember that they played a sold out gig in the Olympia, Dublin which is roughly a 1,200 capacity venue. Quite an achievement considering they had only released one single. When they released their second single 'World Is Dead', the same thing happened - they sold out the Olympia venue again.

I never recall seeing a video for 'Weatherman' but I did see the video for 'World Is Dead' played at least once on 2TV (sunday morning music video programme).

There was always a huge inexplicable buzz around Juniper, reminicent of U2 in the early days. You could put it all down to record company hype but people were genuinely drawn to the band. When I saw Damien Rice play a gig here at the end of 2001, before "O" was released, that buzz was still there at the gig, even though he had no record company behind him then.

So that's most of my thoughts and memories about Juniper, hope it's of some help.

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 12:47 AM   #10
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

were they named after the Life of Brian sketch?
Probably not but why Juniper?
Old 11-21-2006, 01:50 AM   #11
Loveless
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Building
were they named after the Life of Brian sketch?
Probably not but why Juniper?
I've never heard any theories on the origin of the name, but after reading this article about "The Life Of Brian" it made me laugh:

"Brian is accidentally identified as the Messiah, and instantly a cluster of the devout begin following him about, worshipping his shoe when it falls off. He can't shake his followers; no matter what he says, that he isn't the Messiah, that he is the Messiah, they excitedly interpret as further proof of his divinity. This is his gourd! This is his sandal! No, it's his shoe! No, it's a sandal! We should gather shoes in abundance! No, we should fill his gourd! Miracles! Juniper berries!"

someone accidentally idenitified as the messiah with a devout following who worship everything he does and everything he says LOL

"To avoid criticism: do nothing, say nothing, be nothing."
Loveless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2006, 10:35 AM   #12
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

do I get the impression you haven't seen thie film?

and they're my juniper berries....