Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 02-25-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

Default Taratata Interview Translation

EDIT : Sorry I made a mistake in the title... and the Edit doesn't allow me to change it! Well Traduction means Translation.

Int. "That was huge! Wow wow wow. Sincerely, there are moments, where even as a TV show animator, you just wanna shut up. After a song like that, you'd like to shut up and keep the emotion. Sublime. Damien Rice, the album is called '9', yeah yeah. (claps) I'm not the only one who don't want to do this interview, heh?
DR laughs in silence
Int : We're two. OK. we talk a bit, not for long...
DR : A bit...
Int : As soon as you're tired of it, you say it.
DR : OK. Super.
Int : How come an Irish is speaking french so well, it's a language you're forced to learn in Ireland or you've lived in Paris?
DR : I have learnt french in school for 5 years, I've visited France sometimes, I've got some friends in France so I've learnt a bit, but I haven't spent a while in France for 10 years so I'm not really comfortable.
Int : well, it's really nice and touching. If there's still people who still don't know Damien Rice we'll remind you that he realeased a first album that's called (O or 0?) and you're going from 0 to 9, it's in the spirit that, you said albums have to be like books, they gotta have a specific drawing and specific meaning even for the title? (Note : He doesn't really ask a question here, he seems lost :P)
DR : For me, a decision for a title, it's like the lyrics, it's not a decision, it's a thing that...
Int : Imposes itself?
DR : Yes... at a certain moment, the title is there and it's clear that it's the title for the album. I can't explain this really well... (laughs)
Int : Damien Rice released one album in 2002, this album was classed in Ireland as the second best album of all time, the first one is Joshua Tree of U2, and you were classed second best album only with your first album (claps) on which you could hear...
(Cannonball plays)
Int : we wanna hear the whole song heh? Cannonball... Damien, this first album was recorded and written in full freedom because you didn't have success then, you didn't even think you'd one day make it to the charts, but when you find yourself with this enourmous success, those millions albums you sold, do you change the way you work, do you think more about the charts, I don't have the feeling heh, I don't have the feeling when listening to '9', I don't tell myself it's been formated, ready to go in the charts, has it been difficult to stay authentic?
DR : I don't know what's being authentic... I think it's different for everyone. For me, success... I have a friend called Robbie that says...
Int : He has a very very beautiful definition of success... It's really beautiful, go ahead, I like it.
DR : He says that success is waking up in the morning and you have the feeling "ah yeah, another day"
Int : One more day is success
DR : This is the success. It doesn't matter what you do, how much money you have in your pocket, how many albums you've sold. It's easy to be lost in the business and in the head. When I find myself too much in my head, I don't feel really well in my body. It was like that for the second one, I've spent a lot of time doing absolutely nothing, and when I arrived...
Int : Not even painting, not even drawing, not even... any thing you like doing besides, writing?
DR : I fed myself (laughs). I... I... learnt to play piano, I played on a little boat I have at home, things like that... but when I arrived to a place where I have a need, a strong need inside myself to play and record, it was really a need. at this moment, I pressed the record button. that's it.
Int : Pressed the record button, and did the fact that you were learning piano change the way you write your songs?
DR : Piano?
Int : Yep Piano, it's not the same writing as guitar...
DR : Absolutely, cause on guitar, it's easy for me to... do... things... but on piano I'm new, it's a bit of a new world for me, it's like that, I find easier chords I guess, it puts me in a different place.
Int : In a different situation, in a different position.
DR : Yes.
Int : With so much emotion, and I'm not bugging you anymore after this, what's absolutely incredible is that this music is sincere, moving, touching, and we can find it in tv shows like, I'm not judging, but we can find it in american tv shows like the Experts, Lost, Alias, it doesn't have anything to do with quality but there's a shift... how do you feel about being taken by the american "machine" of the TV shows and stuff like that? Grey's Anatomy too have played Cannonball, you know that right? Do they ask your permission or because you like Lost, Alias, The Experts ans you say yes, I...
DR : I don't have a TV, I'm barely watching anything on TV, but my managers they take a lot of decisions for me and if something passes and I don't like it, I say I don't like it and I want it to... to...
Int : Like remixed songs by radio hosts, for example... and when you don't agree you say it.
DR : yes, yes, we've had some problems at the beginning... it takes time to learn, it takes time to get to a place where your management understand where you come from.
Int : It takes time for your manager to understand what you wanna do with your career and your songs, even in the same team?
DR : Yep. Now it's way better than at the beginning.
Int : Ok, the message is clear. I don't have any false modesty to say this in front of him, he's a true genius of the music, I think this sincerely, I'm pleased and proud for having you here, Damien Rice, the album is called '9', and he will give us the pleasure of coming back to make a duo with Ray Lamontage. Thanks a lot Damien, Thanks a lot.

God that was long.

Man An Ocean

Last edited by DRQuebec; 02-25-2007 at 10:33 PM.
DRQuebec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #2
fersen
in Paris...

I was going to do a summerised translation but DrQuebec you did a much better job than what I was going to do, congratulations, very nice and precise job !
fersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:42 PM   #3
Timeé
Intello

Thank you so very much! Would love to see the video if i had high speed internet...oh well... Francais me plait
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:17 AM   #4
Nine
Inuit

Thanks ever so much.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:37 AM   #5
Rue Saint-Denis
Eskimo Ghost

Merci beaucoup, DRQuebec!
Rue Saint-Denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:42 AM   #6
LaurenM
Eskimo Regular

hey thank your soooo much! YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE COOKIES! (see previous thread )

http://thatgirlwiththefreckles.blogspot.com/
LaurenM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 01:44 AM   #7
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurenBledsoe
hey thank your soooo much! YOU CAN HAVE ALL THE COOKIES! (see previous thread )
Yeah go on then.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 AM   #8
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

You're all welcome... Thanks for the cookies, they taste great.
Sorry for all the mistakes, it's kinda hard to translate a conversation from two men who speak different languages... even what they say is not totally clear.

Man An Ocean
Old 02-27-2007, 06:02 PM   #9
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

oh wow. thanks for all the work... i'm surprised how much i actually understood of the interview... because now that i read your translation i can actually see how much...

i agree. you should have all the cookies for that... well, it's not that bad to grow up bilingual, is it?
Old 02-28-2007, 03:37 AM   #10
DRQuebec
Eskimo Regular

Actually I learnt english in school, I just gave a little more efforts since in America it's more an emergency to learn english when you're french than to learn french when you're english

Man An Ocean
Old 02-28-2007, 02:10 PM   #11
lilia
la fille eskimo

Wow that's an amazing you've done here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I was to lasy to even try it!

You'll have to do the same for the interview with Ray Lamontagne, maybe we could get you a big chocolate cake then !
Old 02-28-2007, 05:38 PM   #12
Yetzirah
Eskimissima

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRQuebec
Actually I learnt english in school, I just gave a little more efforts since in America it's more an emergency to learn english when you're french than to learn french when you're english

pardon, monsieur... no offence. i completely forgot that the guys i got to know a few years back from up there only had it as their second language in school as well... but - yeah, we're all confronted with english more or less in every day life, even if it's just lyrics to a song... so i think it's easier for us anyway to get 'an ear' (as we would call it) for the language than the other way around...