Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-06-2007, 05:07 AM   #1
palescales
Eskimo Baby

Default opening act for US tour

Any chance that it's Fionn Regan? That would make me ever so happy.
palescales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:13 AM   #2
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

there isn't one. it's allll damien allll the time baby

anyway fionn regan kind of sucks.. i'd rather have kt tunstall if anybody open for him.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:16 AM   #3
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight

anyway fionn regan kind of sucks.. i'd rather have kt tunstall if anybody open for him.

I'm with you on that one. My wife really likes him, but I'm apparently missing something. He's not terrible, but not all that great either.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:32 AM   #4
Five Leaves Left
Eskimo Regular

he's actually really good at guitar and writes great songs. don't know how you can say he sucks, you could just say you dont like him or give reasons why he sucks...
Five Leaves Left is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 04:37 PM   #5
J.M.C
Eskimo

Yea I disagree with that opinion and so does the person you come on this forum to support.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:13 PM   #6
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight

I think it's the opposite. Tunstall has got to be the most over-rated solo of the past year. Aside from the perky, ubiquitous "Suddenly, I see", and a couple of wannabe rockers damn near every one of her songs sounds the same. Bores me to tears with her lagging monotone drone and her lyrics(sic) sound like they were written by a (talentless) girl of 13.

Which I guess is possible since I've read that many of her songs are like 10 years old.

Regan is absolutely aces. I don't know how anyone with any discernable musical taste (which I certainly consider you to have a lot of) could take the time to listen to just the songs on his myspace page and then say he sucks with a straight face. Somehow manages to encompass such varying influences as Neil Young's soaring, remarkable musicianship and mastery of genres, with Dylanesque poetry rife with both wit and wisdom far beyond his young years and add to all of that the poignant working class sensibility of a Springsteen or a Merle Haggard for good measure.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:25 PM   #7
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

wow, you get a lot more out of him than i do. i think his music is bland and uninteresting, he just doesn't do anything for me. though i don't feel like i really need to give a reason..

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.C
Yea I disagree with that opinion and so does the person you come on this forum to support.
and your point is? just because damien or anybody else likes him doesn't really have an impact on my preferences. i tend not to be influenced too much by others on what i do and don't like when it comes to music. it's called thinking for yourself you're perfectly entitled to your opinion, it doesn 't bother me. not sure why me having the opposite opinion should bother you at all either..
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 05:35 PM   #8
palescales
Eskimo Baby

I think he's very clever lyrically and sings over quite intricate guitar parts which is reminiscent of Elliott Smith. He doesn't have an over polished sound like Damien Rice of course. It's much folkier/rawer but End of History is absolutely a brilliant cd.
palescales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 07:39 PM   #9
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

They're both ****ing ****.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:52 PM   #10
Calum
Eskimo Regular

I like him personally; i appreciate the folk-like sound, as i'm into folk...

^ Nice and to the point, i like it, haha.
Old 05-08-2007, 03:57 AM   #11
shyatt3
Eskimo Apprentice

It's always interesting to me when people don't understand why someone else doesn't like an artist and begin to give reasons why they are good. To me, there so much more to music than being able to rationalize that someone had good lyrics, or that they are skilled at playing an instrument, or that they embody a delicate combination of sounds reminiscent of favorites of the past. I understand to a point because I love good lyrics and I love musical talent, but more than anything I love to FEEL something when I listen to it, beyond the cognitive processes of understanding it. I'm sure many of you feel similarly, I'm simply pointing this out.

Fionn may be great at many things, but I feel nothing when listening to it. I, too, appreciate the "folk-like sound", I just happen to get nothing out of him particularly. I agree with Sister to the extent that there really shouldn't have to be an explanation when it comes to this. There are plenty artists out there, from modern times to the days of old, that are/have been widely respected that I get nothing from. I may be able to say that they do, in fact, have good lyrics or that they are good musicians, but this doesn't translate into an immediate liking to me. The artists I love hit beyond that.

Simply because Damien obviously finds something in Fionn means absolutely nothing to me about whether or not I'm supposed to like him. In other words, I don't find that Damien's approval of Fionn is validating in any way. I can't see that adding strength to someone's opinions. We may have come here to support Damien, but it was his music, not his musical opinions.

EDIT: I should mention that there are a few of Fionn's songs which I do like. His album as a whole is not great to me. I'm not trying to say that he's terrible, I've simply heard many people sing him great praises that hold him in much higher regard than I think he deserves.

Last edited by shyatt3; 05-08-2007 at 04:03 AM.
shyatt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2007, 04:17 AM   #12
brenda
Toujours Pur

LOL at wait Ian said.

Never heard of this guy.

Gonna go look him up.