arezoo_za
Eskimo Friend

nice pic, you're so lucky
arezoo_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 AM   #33
P8ge
Eskimo Baby

Lisa is very photogenic...

Am I the only one who thinks she gets better with age? She's going to be the hottest 80 year-old at this rate.
P8ge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2015, 04:33 AM   #34
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

I have a funny brief story: it was the Beacon, I'm thinking '05 but maybe it was '06? I was sitting right near a side entrance to backstage, and of course there was a security guard there. I'd spoken to the security guard earlier, which is relevant. The support was on and I notice a figure come from somewhere else and stand in the little alcove near the backstage door to watch the support, then try to go backstage. I knew the figure was Damo, and then saw that the guard wasn't letting him back! They seemed to be having a little conversation, and Damo looked quiet and maybe only a little flustered, and my gut said he didn't have his backstage pass. I got up and went up to the guard and said "Are you not letting him back?" and he said "He doesn't have a pass", so I said "Well, he's the main guy, the headliner, so you may want to let him back..." and so the guard let him pass. I found it VERY funny that I helped Damo get to his own, headlining backstage LOL!
Old 01-16-2015, 07:53 PM   #35
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

^Now THAT'S funny!!!
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2015, 07:25 AM   #36
bryce5.23.88
Eskimo Friend

I met Damien after a Swell Season show at the El Rey in Los Angeles (probably 2007?). I had gone to the show by myself. Glen and Mar played a beautiful show, and they surprised the crowd by bringing Damien out to play a song towards the end of the show. I was fairly close to the front and had gotten a few pictures on my point and shoot camera.

Afterward, a gentleman approached me and said he was from the LA Weekly and wanted to use my pictures for his write up of the show (http://www.laweekly.com/music/live-i...season-2405935). He said that he couldn't offer payment for the pictures, but I could use his VIP bracelet to get into the afterparty upstairs. I said yes, of course. I put on the bracelet, walked upstairs, and Damien Rice was the first person I saw. He was talking to someone so I hung back for a minute, rather awkwardly... I wasn't yet 21 so I didn't want to try to get a drink at the bar. But I basically approached Damien and just told him that I loved his music and blah blah blah. It was awkward. He shook my hand. I think I asked about a new album that he had said he was working on at the time ... Not sure if anyone around here remembers, but he mentioned in an interview around this time (2006-2007) that he was working on some kind of environmental benefit record with some friends of his. He told me that he hadn't really started work on it. I remember saying something about the irony of meeting him at Glen and Marketa's show because I had just met Glen and Marketa at one of his shows a few months earlier. Then we walked downstairs and headed outside. We shook hands again at the door and I left, just as the crowd outside noticed him and began a mild swarm.

I left this interaction with the sense that I don't want to go out of my way to meet people I admire in the future. If it happens, great, but no more waiting around after shows. He was nice enough, but I felt a little guilty for bothering him, knowing how conflicted he is about his fame.

I did get Lisa's autograph on a couple of polaroids (yay instant film development!) from her show at the Troubadour after Sea Sew came out. I didn't meet her though. I recognized Una after the show and asked her if she could have Lisa sign them. She excitedly agreed.
bryce5.23.88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 02:57 AM   #37
Beat Surrender
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryce5.23.88 View Post
I met Damien after a Swell Season show at the El Rey in Los Angeles (probably 2007?). I had gone to the show by myself. Glen and Mar played a beautiful show, and they surprised the crowd by bringing Damien out to play a song towards the end of the show. I was fairly close to the front and had gotten a few pictures on my point and shoot camera.

Afterward, a gentleman approached me and said he was from the LA Weekly and wanted to use my pictures for his write up of the show (http://www.laweekly.com/music/live-i...season-2405935). He said that he couldn't offer payment for the pictures, but I could use his VIP bracelet to get into the afterparty upstairs. I said yes, of course. I put on the bracelet, walked upstairs, and Damien Rice was the first person I saw. He was talking to someone so I hung back for a minute, rather awkwardly... I wasn't yet 21 so I didn't want to try to get a drink at the bar. But I basically approached Damien and just told him that I loved his music and blah blah blah. It was awkward. He shook my hand. I think I asked about a new album that he had said he was working on at the time ... Not sure if anyone around here remembers, but he mentioned in an interview around this time (2006-2007) that he was working on some kind of environmental benefit record with some friends of his. He told me that he hadn't really started work on it. I remember saying something about the irony of meeting him at Glen and Marketa's show because I had just met Glen and Marketa at one of his shows a few months earlier. Then we walked downstairs and headed outside. We shook hands again at the door and I left, just as the crowd outside noticed him and began a mild swarm.

I left this interaction with the sense that I don't want to go out of my way to meet people I admire in the future. If it happens, great, but no more waiting around after shows. He was nice enough, but I felt a little guilty for bothering him, knowing how conflicted he is about his fame.

I did get Lisa's autograph on a couple of polaroids (yay instant film development!) from her show at the Troubadour after Sea Sew came out. I didn't meet her though. I recognized Una after the show and asked her if she could have Lisa sign them. She excitedly agreed.
Hi there, I just wanted to say... I totally understand why you feel the way you do about not really wanting to meet people you admire in the future, but I think you handled that situation really really well. If he kept talking to you and walked out with you/at the same time as you, I'd say he was totally fine with how you handled yourself. Don't feel bad!

I also think where and how you meet people you admire can make a big difference. There's only so much interaction you can have after a show behind a venue with a lot of other people clamoring to meet the same person. Not to say I don't get why people do that - I totally totally do get it. But I do think it can make for a weird memory, and I understand why you're turned off of it. That said though, if there are ever other ways to meet people you admire (book signings, run-ins, friends of friends), I hope you won't avoid it. I've had some amazing experiences meeting people I admired, and very very few bad ones (and honestly, even my bad ones were really amusing in many ways).

So next time someone hands you a VIP pass, I hope you'll still use it!
Old 04-14-2015, 10:03 PM   #38
Tricia_A
Eskimo Baby

After 12 long years of being his biggest fan (wait, we're all his biggest fans here, right?!!!)..., I finally had the opportunity to meet Damien after the 4/3 Lincoln Theater/DC show. O M G !

Here's how it went down... My husband was supposed to go with me but something came up and I took a girlfriend instead. Well, she suggested we head around to the back of the theater after the show to see if his tour bus was there. It was! We decided to wait it out and see what happened. At best, I was hopeful for a wave from across the parking lot as he hopped on the bus. By this time a few more people had gathered to wait, it was about 7 of us.

What happened next is something I've only dreamed about.

We saw him exit the building and I called out to him. He turned and without hesitation walked over to the gate and into the alley where we had been waiting for 2 hours to see him. I hugged him and he chatted with us for about 10 minutes and then off he went. The funny thing is that I couldn't speak at first. It was like this amazing moment was not really happening. I couldn't wrap my mind around it. Fortunately, my friend spoke up for me telling him how big a fan I am and how much I loved his music. He kept looking at me as if he knew how his presence was affecting me. I did manage to ask him if it was actually him posting from his Instagram account and he said no, he has someone do that for him. He also mentioned that he was halfway through a new album.

He was friendly and kind and everything I hoped he would be. It was magical and I will never forget it.

The best part is that I have pictures...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender01 (475x640).jpg (57.6 KB, 174 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender02 (480x640).jpg (42.4 KB, 172 views)
File Type: jpg FullSizeRender03 (480x640).jpg (53.6 KB, 171 views)
File Type: jpg FullsizeRender04 (480x640).jpg (52.4 KB, 173 views)
Tricia_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:37 PM   #39
Shaftell
Eskimo Friend

That's so awesome!! Happy for you that you got to meet him!
Shaftell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2015, 10:51 PM   #40
verenita
... trusty and true ...

as someone who understands every word you´ve said, because she *has been there*, i´m very happy for you

Last edited by verenita; 04-14-2015 at 11:00 PM.
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 12:59 AM   #41
madhat181
Uber Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia_A View Post
After 12 long years of being his biggest fan (wait, we're all his biggest fans here, right?!!!)..., I finally had the opportunity to meet Damien after the 4/3 Lincoln Theater/DC show. O M G !

Here's how it went down... My husband was supposed to go with me but something came up and I took a girlfriend instead. Well, she suggested we head around to the back of the theater after the show to see if his tour bus was there. It was! We decided to wait it out and see what happened. At best, I was hopeful for a wave from across the parking lot as he hopped on the bus. By this time a few more people had gathered to wait, it was about 7 of us.

What happened next is something I've only dreamed about.

We saw him exit the building and I called out to him. He turned and without hesitation walked over to the gate and into the alley where we had been waiting for 2 hours to see him. I hugged him and he chatted with us for about 10 minutes and then off he went. The funny thing is that I couldn't speak at first. It was like this amazing moment was not really happening. I couldn't wrap my mind around it. Fortunately, my friend spoke up for me telling him how big a fan I am and how much I loved his music. He kept looking at me as if he knew how his presence was affecting me. I did manage to ask him if it was actually him posting from his Instagram account and he said no, he has someone do that for him. He also mentioned that he was halfway through a new album.

He was friendly and kind and everything I hoped he would be. It was magical and I will never forget it.

The best part is that I have pictures...

Great first post Tricia! Damien sure loves that hat!
madhat181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:18 AM   #42
Tricia_A
Eskimo Baby

Thanks, I actually used to post here years ago as Trixalia but can't remember my login info so I created a new account.

Love Damien and the fact that everyone here does, too.
Old 04-15-2015, 01:21 AM   #43
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

I remember you, great story and pics! Halfway through the new album? Nice.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 01:28 AM   #44
Shaftell
Eskimo Friend

Damien seems awkward in those last two pictures. Does he not like taking pictures with people?
Old 04-15-2015, 03:00 AM   #45
Tricia_A
Eskimo Baby

No, he did not want to pose for pictures but luckily, my girlfriend stepped to the back of the crowd to capture these shots of my magical moment.
Old 04-15-2015, 03:41 AM   #46
Shaftell
Eskimo Friend

That's weird. So he refuses if you ask him for a picture? Your girlfriend was very smart to take those pictures as you're walking up to him. You can see the excitement!
Old 04-15-2015, 07:45 AM   #47
Shillelagh
Eskimo Bro

Three times after tonight. We're basically best friends now.
Shillelagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 11:04 PM   #48
meh
Eskimo Baby

*dreams*
meh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 04:45 PM   #49
Claude
Eskimo Regular

I had the chance to met Damien...
It was in Paris after the "Folies Bergere" show.
Thanks a lot to Lys and Cuuliem, we waited together outside for a while.
And finally we could see and talk (shortly) to him, I could shake his hand !!!
So HAPPY !
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 10:49 PM   #50
volcanoesmeltme
Eskimo Friend

I met Damien at the Hotel Cafe in L.A. in 2005. He was there for a show and I recognized him in the crowd. We spoke for a minute after the performer's set ended. I suggested he stick around for the next performer, who I was there to see (I just happened to get there early!), but he didn't. Pfft. :-P
volcanoesmeltme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2017, 03:05 AM   #51
Albus
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by lod View Post
I've been reading over some old posts and reviews of gigs and I'm struck by all these stories of meeting him after gigs... Curious how some have managed that?? So..wanted to talk about who has met him,and what did u say?? And what did he say?? ... I'm sure some of you have much better stories and would love to hear them..
Met some obsessed fan at one of his concerts many years ago up in the San Francisco area in the crowd so she/I were hanging together most of the show. She'd brought along something like a birthday card for him and I remember her giving it to him after the show and of course I'm just standing there, nodding when he looked over. I suppose it helped a bit for her because she didn't look like a super-obsessed fan if she had at least one friend along. :laugh:

Just the standard pleasantries, basically.
Albus is offline   Reply With Quote