Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 12-05-2007, 04:59 PM   #1
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

Default Are the 80's fashion fads in other countries too?

Here in the US, I've noticed that a lot of the 80's fashion fads are returning: huge sunglasses, tight jeans with a higher rise, over-sized shirts with leggings, bermuda-length shorts in summer, etc, and at a wedding last weekend I noticed every woman under 40 had the same style of shoes - pumps with a high heel and an open toe, which looked very 80's to me. So I was just curious if the non-US Eskimos were noticing the same thing?

I for one hate the 80's fads!! I'm sticking to my un-stylish low-rise boot cut jeans, strappy sandals instead of those hideous pumps, and unfashionably small sunglasses
bearbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 05:29 PM   #2
Rai
Eskimontologist

The same thing over here. Those big sunglasses are the worst part, they would even ruin the looks of Helen of Troy... And the leggings... brrr...

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 08:21 PM   #3
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

yep yep, very much the same thing over here in ireland! tight tight jeans, pumps, big t-shirts with big letters, massive sunny gs... crazy i tells ya!
Old 12-06-2007, 01:26 AM   #4
verenita
... trusty and true ...

well... same here... so, i think we can say it´s a global fashion returning...
Old 12-06-2007, 06:18 AM   #5
cille
creepycute

yes yes, even the neon colours have come back. It's been going on for some years now, it's pretty horrible. Only thing I'm happy has returned is the legging. Essential for my summer thighs..
Old 12-08-2007, 11:30 PM   #6
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

BAH HUMBUG,

Tis the season to be neon!

TO be honest the specifics of any "fad" are something i can kinda appreciate like I love the sort of complete FUN expressed by that style of dress, and explicit brightness, obviousness, but really it's all just the ephemeral cloud of fashion doing it's thing all over again, it'll come it'll go.

People will spend more money on their indulgence on such a thing, where designers are designing to that specification. Fashion in that sense is a pointless, superficial, not-helping-anyone, persuit and also a restrictive one when there are so many things from all eras to appreciate. But also alot of the whole nu-rave exhuberance is enforced by the DIY styles, the seccond hand shops near me are thriving... so it's one up for recycling.

but all in all, no big deal, lol!

Last edited by PenguinBoy; 12-08-2007 at 11:34 PM.
PenguinBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 10:20 AM   #7
cille
creepycute

you know when you have survived the 80ies fashion horrors like i have, it's a somewhat of a deal when it comes back to haunt me...
Old 12-17-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
.em.
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait
Here in the US, I've noticed that a lot of the 80's fashion fads are returning: huge sunglasses, tight jeans with a higher rise, over-sized shirts with leggings, bermuda-length shorts in summer, etc, and at a wedding last weekend I noticed every woman under 40 had the same style of shoes - pumps with a high heel and an open toe, which looked very 80's to me. So I was just curious if the non-US Eskimos were noticing the same thing?

I for one hate the 80's fads!! I'm sticking to my un-stylish low-rise boot cut jeans, strappy sandals instead of those hideous pumps, and unfashionably small sunglasses
I actually really like the higher rise skinny jeans. They fit really well, look really good, and I don't have to worry about them being too low or anything. I have a dark purple pair that are so effing awesome! ^__^ I think big sunglasses can be really cute too (though my current ones are small). I stopped doing the leggings thing though. :/ I started to not like it...And I don't wear high heels, so I can't tell you about that.
Even though I wear some of these things, I wouldn't say it's really an 80s look. It's just something thats...me! ^_^ (maybe I'll take a picture)
Trends come and go over the years, and I wouldn't say that's a bad thing. Especially when the wearer "tweaks" what they are wearing to make it more unique.

At least the big hair isn't back!

This makes me think of my mother. She was a teenager in the 80s. (i guess that may seem kinda young. she had me in 1988 when she was 19..)
Old 12-17-2007, 06:20 PM   #9
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

[quote=.em.]I actually really like the higher rise skinny jeans. They fit really well, look really good, and I don't have to worry about them being too low or anything. I have a dark purple pair that are so effing awesome! ^__^ QUOTE]

I have to admit that I look better in the high-rise jeans b/c they sort of hold everything in, I have one pair and I really should wear them more often now that I have a bit of flab on my stomach & hips, but I just don't like the way it feels on my stomach, if that makes sense. When I was pregnant I used to roll the top of my maternity pants down b/c I hated having it on my stomach.
Also, the low-rise jeans make my butt look better than the high rise ones.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:48 PM   #10
.em.
Eskimo Regular

^lol. with high-rises, there's always the danger of falling into a pair of mom (sorry) jeans- high rise+ tapered leg (i think they have those) = pancake butt.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #11
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^Haha, "mom jeans" are a big fear of mine!! I wonder what people of my generation will dress like in 20 or 30 years.
Old 12-19-2007, 06:58 AM   #12
Daniel
Eskimo Regular

at least poncho's died a horrible death
Old 12-19-2007, 07:07 AM   #13
Rai
Eskimontologist

^^Horrible, yes, but death?

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 08:35 AM   #14
cille
creepycute

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearbait
^Haha, "mom jeans" are a big fear of mine!! I wonder what people of my generation will dress like in 20 or 30 years.
Before we know it we'll look pretty much like this:
Old 12-19-2007, 04:54 PM   #15
bearbait
Eskimo Pie

^ Never!!!! I'll be 80 and still wearing my hip-huggers, my grandchildren will be terribly embarrassed

Rai, that's a scary photo! (although of course every photo of George is scary).
Old 12-19-2007, 06:34 PM   #16
cille
creepycute

^rrroaawwrrr you're gonna be a real hot cougar