Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 10-12-2007, 05:36 AM   #481
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^hahaha Rai that's hilarious!!!!!! ... i had no idea!
well i guess you have holidays and thats the only good part you get from that!

then again i cannot say much... in Venezuela we've made a holiday out of 'Flag Day' .... ... yeah i know... its just ridiculous!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...

Last edited by mariaoran; 10-12-2007 at 05:45 AM.
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 AM   #482
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
Next tour I'm gonna go to all the shows in France They're always so good, cannot stop watching the clips from the Olympia... and I wanna hear Fool So I'll call from France
collect call, a cobro revertido so you pay
o rly... hmmm interrrestingggg hehe

post number 400! woot!
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 06:25 AM   #483
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
^hahaha Rai that's hilarious!!!!!! ... i had no idea!
well i guess you have holidays and thats the only good part you get from that!

then again i cannot say much... in Venezuela we've made a holiday out of 'Flag Day' .... ... yeah i know... its just ridiculous!
The day of mourning is not a holiday, that's the worst part of it... We also celebrate the outbreak of the revolution of 195, which failed around the time it began. The best part is that the renowned leader of this great struggle to free ourselves from communism was as a big communist as Lenin. But no-one seems to notice. But its a country where the greatest natinal heroes are almost all failed revolutionaries, some kings and a bloke who threw himself off the castle walls with a turkish flag in his hands during a siege.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #484
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^ well i meant the day it all started is a holiday! (you said so yourself!)
And yeah, i guess history has a way of celebrating the revolutions and movements even if they're not successful!... in the end i guess these are only successfull because of the the ideologies and the change in mentality that follow ... so it might be worth the while dont ya think?! ...buuuut i cannot speak for Hungary because my knowledge about it is veeeery limited!

speaking of holidays! .... feliz dia de la raza = happy Columbus Day!! ...for those of ya in the 'New World!'

ps... is anyone else surprised that Gore(+IPCC) won the Nobel PP !?

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
Old 10-12-2007, 02:13 PM   #485
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
^ well i meant the day it all started is a holiday! (you said so yourself!)
And yeah, i guess history has a way of celebrating the revolutions and movements even if they're not successful!... in the end i guess these are only successfull because of the the ideologies and the change in mentality that follow ... so it might be worth the while dont ya think?! ...buuuut i cannot speak for Hungary because my knowledge about it is veeeery limited!
I never said the mourning part was a holiday, but no matter Well, in the case of 1848, we had two candidates for leadership a loud and a clever one. The former won and we had the war and struck a good deal 20 years later. If we had followed the latter, we would have had no revoultion and gained everything or even more faster. People celebrate revolutions because its something that can be exploited easily with the help of distortion and demagogy to suit political goals. The 'Nation rising up against the wile oppressors' is more useful then the 'witty politician getting a good bilateral agreement through weeks of discussions'.

Quote:
...buuuut i cannot speak for Hungary because my knowledge about it is veeeery limited!
This is true for many Hungarians and does not stop them from anything

Quote:
speaking of holidays! .... feliz dia de la raza = happy Columbus Day!! ...for those of ya in the 'New World!'
And for the roughly 120 million Americans who died in the 150 years after Columbus :P

Quote:
ps... is anyone else surprised that Gore(+IPCC) won the Nobel PP !?
Me. I fail to see the direct connection between climate change and peace.

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Old 10-12-2007, 05:13 PM   #486
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Ohh now there's proof Damien speaks Andalucian (Southern Spain dialect :

Por ti zzzzzzere, por ti zzzzzzzere, yo no zzzzzzoi marinero, zzzzzzzoi capitan

http://video.google.it/videoplay?doc...arch&plindex=1
Old 10-12-2007, 05:33 PM   #487
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
we have a national holiday on the day of the starting of the whole thing with much flagwaving
... this is what i meant!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
I never said the mourning part was a holiday, but no matter Well, in the case of 1848, we had two candidates for leadership a loud and a clever one. The former won and we had the war and struck a good deal 20 years later. If we had followed the latter, we would have had no revoultion and gained everything or even more faster. People celebrate revolutions because its something that can be exploited easily with the help of distortion and demagogy to suit political goals. The 'Nation rising up against the wile oppressors' is more useful then the 'witty politician getting a good bilateral agreement through weeks of discussions'.
Yeah i totally agree... I think the 'idea' of Revolution is also used because there is a bigger oportunity to create a sense of Nationalism! .... especially in this time when you start seeing all these states in Europe begin to feel they should be independent!... and then i could go on talking about the influence/ or fault!? the infamous French have on this matter ... eeeek ... but thats a looong story!
oh and dare i say ...they didn't have a chance against the Russians!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rai
Me. I fail to see the direct connection between climate change and peace.
Me toooo!!!! ... thank you! ... i was trying to make my mom see my point this morning and she would NOT take it .... she thought i was totally wrong!
But yeah, first, when did activism for the environment become peace making!?!
and second, Gore???? seriously??!??? ....i'm sure there are more deserving people out there, and that are REALLY doing something valuable in terms of peacemaking! .... hehe sorry i'm just really frustrated about this since this morning!

Old 10-12-2007, 05:34 PM   #488
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Ohh now there's proof Damien speaks Andalucian (Southern Spain dialect :

Por ti zzzzzzere, por ti zzzzzzzere, yo no zzzzzzoi marinero, zzzzzzzoi capitan

http://video.google.it/videoplay?doc...arch&plindex=1
its a really good clip!
i'm still dancing to this!!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 06:07 PM   #489
Rai
Eskimontologist

Quote:
... this is what i meant!!!
That part is a holiday, but the next part of the sentence refers to the non-holiday

Quote:
Yeah i totally agree... I think the 'idea' of Revolution is also used because there is a bigger oportunity to create a sense of Nationalism! .... especially in this time when you start seeing all these states in Europe begin to feel they should be independent!... and then i could go on talking about the influence/ or fault!? the infamous French have on this matter ... eeeek ... but thats a looong story!
oh and dare i say ...they didn't have a chance against the Russians!!!!
Yes, the EU has done a lot for strenghtening national feelings esecially in the case of autonomous regions like Catalonia or Scotland, which is not a bad thing especially if whole languages are at stake... khm...Bretagne...khm...

Quote:
Me toooo!!!! ... thank you! ... i was trying to make my mom see my point this morning and she would NOT take it .... she thought i was totally wrong!
But yeah, first, when did activism for the environment become peace making!?!
and second, Gore???? seriously??!??? ....i'm sure there are more deserving people out there, and that are REALLY doing something valuable in terms of peacemaking! .... hehe sorry i'm just really frustrated about this since this morning!
The frustratio understandable, but Nobel Peace Prizes were always a bit dodgy... i mean, Kofi Annan? He has been working for peace but hasn't achieved anything and still got one. Not to mention Yasser Arafat, a mass murderer.

Old 10-12-2007, 07:44 PM   #490
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Pity it never occurred to me, could have texted/called from the Greek for instance... and have a lil freakout online while Insane is played Next tour maybe!!!!!!!!!!!

and Lindsay you think his Scottish accent is no good???
Haha....my gosh if I heard that he was playing it, while he was playing it...I think I would've gone crazy! It seems that Tori has more intense/committed fans though, hey?

hehe no, I didn't think it was very good

And about Gore winning....yeah, I'm quite surprised, but only because I didn't think he had that much of a chance of winning. But I really see the link between climate change and peace.....if the world starts to collapse, there's going to be even more chaos and desperation than there is now. And it's going to affect the poor the most, so there is potential for alot of negative things to happen
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2007, 12:37 AM   #491
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

So it's the last show of the tour!! But the setlist was incredible!!

I wonder if Hollie was able to go?

Maria....he played Rat Within The Grain
Old 10-13-2007, 01:01 AM   #492
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Just read the first review from Cardiff... A new song called Stone and he played You shouldn't be here!!!! and What this night is for!!! and Beast and Beauty!!!!!!!!! The night of the new unreleased songs!!!!!!!!!

Can't wait to hear Stone!!! Sure a youtube or a recording will show up. Didn't we get like all shows as torrents from the last Spring tour in the UK???? But I'm sure it will be good if they say it sounds like Fool!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Didn't know you were big fans of Rat!! If you want one of these days I can tell you who I think the song is about. My mouth drooooooppppppped to the floor first time I hear this song live when he opened for Fiona Apple last summer!!!!!!!!!!!!

Got to go now
Old 10-13-2007, 01:32 AM   #493
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

I know, so many unreleased!! I guess he's leaving us all with a gift if they were recorded! And I'm excited to hear Stone!!

But wasn't You Shouldn't Be Here played recently as well Or am I thinking of another unreleased...maybe It Didn't Take You Long...hmm, I'll have to re-check some threads I think

Yeah...tell us the story about Rat! I'm not a huge fan, but lately I've been able to relate to it quite a bit
Old 10-13-2007, 01:48 AM   #494
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

You shouldn't be there hasn't been played recently. It was only played once in Chicago last Dec. Never again since then.

Don't know which other you have in mind. It Didn't Take You Long hasn't been played since 2004, but was torrented recently...

We should all have gone to Cardiff!!!!!!!!!!! I'm sure Hollie went!!! It was not sold out, you could even get tix via Ticketmaster today... Not I'm not sure if I'm imagining things, but I'd say someone (RonjaGirl??) said was gonna tape the Cardiff show???

So last summer went to my first Damien show, here in Concord (around SFO) supporting Fionna Apple. And he played Rat, which was brand new (I'm talking summer 2006, months before 9)... and when he did the second verse "Go play with your piano, write a mediocre song... you asked me to be part of it, now you're showing me the wall", I almost fell from my seat, my mouth was open for 3 minutes, even my friend asked me what's wrong... and I said... this song is about Tori!!!!!!!!!! And some of my friends who like both Damien and Tori have told me the exact same thing.

The bit about the piano, the 'you asked me to be part of it'... all suggest a collaboration with a female singer that plays piano... temporally it makes sense since Tori and Damien did The Power of Orange Knickers in 2004/2005 (after Tori heard his voice on the radio and trequesting him) and the song was played for the first time in summer 06. It suggests him expecting something from her that didn't happen, which would make sense since Tori is happily married and everything...

But that's my theory, makes sense to me, and not even gonna try and convince anybody, believe what you want. Even if Damien himself came and told me that it is not true, I wouldn't change my mind he he
Old 10-13-2007, 02:05 AM   #495
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Oh Okay Yeah, I don't know what I'm thinking of then....maybe I'm thinking of Is That It My Friend from Salt Lake

We all toooootally should've gone!!! Who can I blame....I blame Maria haha

Hmmm...okay, question though Do you think that Damien and Tori were close enough for him to write a song about her? Do you know any more details about that, or did they just do a song together?
Old 10-13-2007, 02:22 AM   #496
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

They did the song together, that suggest some "contact"... Then he appeared onstage to sing the song once when Tori did Dublin. and she did cover the Blower's Daughter once in a show and referred to him as his 'buddy' (I think) and said he was a good friend or a good person...I heard she gave him some advice, she told him to start touring the US like crazy (he did So no problem from her part. But maybe Damien was expecting something else, got pissed off and wrote a song. That's my theory.

I wanted so bad for Tori to do The Blower's Daughter at one of my shows. I even asked her in person!!!!!!!!!! I think it was in Brussels during the last tour, Tori always does meet'n'greets, every day, and we had a little conversation!!!!! and I asked her 'Can you play The blower's daughter' and she said maybe.... and then she asked me Are you going tomorrow to Paris? and I said No, this is my last show so can you play it today... and she said Maybe maybe...

and of course she didn't play that day, now I know that maybe maybe means no. She played it but like 5 months later in the US though

Well you know my Damien-Tori theory part 1... part 2 is that Damien got so impressed with Tori piano skills that he started learning himself. he said he started learning between O and 9. Makes sense. So all thank Tori for the 9 crimes piano and Rootless tree piano and Accidental babies piano!!

I should probably stop the rambling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:22 AM   #497
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

haha, I'm beginning to think that you like Tori more than Damien, Marti! That can't be true....I happen to know of a stash of tomatoes somewhere

Okay, so it seems they know each other....maybe you're right about this then at least more right than thinking it's "vain" hehe

Awww....the more I hear about Tori, the more I get the impression that she's so nice! So do you happen to have her cover of Blower's Daughter...and maybe would you want to share?

Hmmm....but about the piano inspiration...couldn't he have been inspired by Viv maybe, or someone else around him?
Old 10-13-2007, 03:55 AM   #498
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^Hey that was your post 800!!!! Congrats!!!

There was a clip from Tori & Damien performing together The Power of Orange Knickers floating around. Only happened once, in Dublin 2005. Want another story? A bad-luck one... I went to Dublin cos I knew this might happen... Tori was doing 2 shows, went to the 1st one, couldn't stay for the 2nd cos a friend was defending his phd... of course the duet happened on the 2nd night

I use to have that clip, and her live version of TBW, which was so-so, she dragged it a bit too much and did some parts wrong, was ok I guess, but I'm not thta crazy about... well, the quality was not that good, so hard to tell...

I'll try and find them...

and I know anyone could have influenced Damien to start playing, but I think it's an interesting coincidence... and I like to believe she was the reason
Old 10-13-2007, 06:05 AM   #499
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^ okkk honestly... i don't buy the Tori interpretations but they're good theories!

i'm off to checking the Cardiff gig thread!!!..... i am sooo exited!
is 'Stone' a new song?????????
You shouldn't be here!?!?!?! ... exiiiiiiiiting!!!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 06:14 AM   #500
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ He he, damn it, I didn't convince you???? For me it was crystal clear First time I heard it I thought 'Ohh Damien how can you sing this about Tori!!!!!'

Just pm'ed u, your mission now is to find youtube clips for Cardiff!!!! Maria on a mission!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So excited bout this new song!!!!!!! I'm sure it's new, no songs about crowns... or with Stone on the title. And the person that posted seems pretty well informed, even had heard You shouldn't be here before so... NEW SONG!!!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhhh and I found the clip with Tori & Damien singing together Orange Knickers!!! Had it saved on a CD. It's in mov format. Just watched. You would never guess what he's wearing... yep THAT shirt you're all thinking of!!!!! The patchwork shirt!!!! Must be for special occasions Not sure how to share it though... any ideas?
Old 10-13-2007, 06:32 AM   #501
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^ haha no i'm not convinced but its just because i'm not into Tori as much as you are !!!
but they're valid theories!

anyway ... oooooooooh i would luv to see the Damo+Tori performance but as you know i'm good at youtubing and not much else when it comes to technology!!!!!

I'm soo exited! new song! new song! New Song! ... i'm off to do some investigating!!!!!!

Old 10-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #502
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

yay, 800 posts! And they've all been brilliant right!

That's such an awful story Marti! You must've been sooo disappointed. Haha you should've skipped your friends defence

and sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you're wrong about Tori being the piano inspiration. Maybe you're right about that....I even remember reading that she's able to play two pianos at once or something! But I was just wondering if anyone else around him is an accomplished pianist...but you're right, it could've been anyone or anything that influenced him. But anyways, I'm sooo glad that he learnt!!

I would love to hear the clip, but I wouldn't know how to convert that either

And Mariaaaa! I thought you would've found some vids by now ! I've was looking last night and this morning, but no luck yet! I'm so excited to hear Stone!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 05:23 PM   #503
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Glo just posted the clip for Dogs... so the rest will hopefully follow soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't stop typing exclamaitions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-13-2007, 07:57 PM   #504
Nine
Inuit

Ah guys, hello. What have i missed.
Tell you what I didn't miss - Damien, being amazing. Honestly, that man just gets better every time I see him!!

Shane stuck his tongue out at me on stage too which was most amusing!

What a night. Really. *sigh*
Old 10-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #505
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Holi, did you read about Damien doing La Bamba in Manchester!!?? Still shocked he knew the words!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:01 AM   #506
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can't stop typing exclamaitions!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
^haha this has totally made my day Martiiii!!!

Oh and Hollie... compared to what you were doing out there ... you missed nothing!!!!!!!! ... gosh i'm still so happy that you got to talk to him and that he remembered you and all of that!!!!!

Ok now i think i'll share a little Maria-Story because i thought of you guys when i was having lunch today! ... I was at a restaurant an there was a dish called 'BANG BANG Chicken' ... it made me smile because of bang bang/i remember that damien does and so i thought of you guys! ... but then i had to explain what i was smiling at to my friend because then i would just look crazy ! ... and of course he didn't get it so now i'm made fun of because of the bang bang chicken!!!!.......... i blame you guys!! ... i'm gonna have to do something embarrasing now so that i'm not bang bang maria forever!

Last edited by mariaoran; 10-14-2007 at 12:25 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 01:47 AM   #507
Nine
Inuit

Quote:
^haha this has totally made my day Martiiii!!!

Oh and Hollie... compared to what you were doing out there ... you missed nothing!!!!!!!! ... gosh i'm still so happy that you got to talk to him and that he remembered you and all of that!!!!!

Ok now i think i'll share a little Maria-Story because i thought of you guys when i was having lunch today! ... I was at a restaurant an there was a dish called 'BANG BANG Chicken' ... it made me smile because of bang bang/i remember that damien does and so i thought of you guys! ... but then i had to explain what i was smiling at to my friend because then i would just look crazy ! ... and of course he didn't get it so now i'm made fun of because of the bang bang chicken!!!!.......... i blame you guys!! ... i'm gonna have to do something embarrasing now so that i'm not bang bang maria forever!
hahahahaha bang bang maria - that could be misconstrued in many amusing ways!!!

That's so funny... I've seen bang bang chicken before but never made the connection... actually speaking of I Remember, last night's version was very different - damien really took down the chorus, it was really mellow, and then exploded as usual after the 'lovalovalove' bit - but it was very strange, just cello and guitar, and some cymbals in the main 'i wanna hear' bit. Good, though.
Old 10-14-2007, 02:35 AM   #508
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

yeah, you didn't miss much Hollie We've just been counting down the days till the end of tour....and it was pretty much a minute by minute countdown haha. So jealous you were able to go....the show seems like it was outstanding!

haha.. Maria, that's a super cute story! I hope it wasn't a date though, he'll never call you again ! Gosh those non-Damien fans just don't understand anything hey!

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-14-2007 at 02:38 AM.
Old 10-14-2007, 03:53 PM   #509
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

^ haha not if he gets the Hollie's (mis)interpretations!!
but yeah it was my friend who i do eeeeevrything with! so it was in good fun!

I want the new song!!!!
did you guys see the elephant video!?!!?!! ... i'm happy that at least we that one!!!!

Old 10-14-2007, 04:00 PM   #510
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

both of you are trouble!

Mariaaaaa....we need you're magic touch! Where are the vids
(haha elephant doesn't count )
No vids yet, and the tour has ended