Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 10-02-2007, 04:24 PM   #241
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman
by the way 2, I might have found the OFFICIAL ACCIDENTAL BABIES video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
check it:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=uJEzzh1vEjU
...that got me all exited !!! ... tricky Marti!

"This place is a Gynocracy!"

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
mariaoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:31 PM   #242
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ He he Gotcha
Old 10-02-2007, 04:36 PM   #243
viv
Eskimo Regular

The first song of his that I heard was Cannonball and I liked it but I wasn't in love with it. It was the radio version (which BTW I now find somewhat laughable after having heard the album arangement) Then I saw the thrailer for Closer and took note of BD. Eventually that was the reason I got O, but one song won't get me hooked on any artist. I listened to O from start to finish as soon as I opened it, which I never do, and was pretty much stunned.

I haven't been listening to the unreleased stuff for too long. But thanks to maria, borneo, dboyd and probably a few others I supposed I have a relatively good collection that I'm completely addicted to. Seriously guys, I worship the ground you walk on! What would I do if it weren't for your generosity!
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 04:55 PM   #244
Rai
Eskimontologist

I told this story in my introductory thread back then, but I'll do it again

My first Damien-song was Volcano in 2004. I went to Ireland with my father, who had a conference there organised by the Irish EU presidency and they made a CD for that, entitled Contemporary Irish Music and Film with two CD's of music from traditional to indie even with some avatguard stuff. I started difesting the songs, I really liked Volcano (but it was eclipsed by Kíla's Maith Dhom, so it was in the closet for a while) and after some time I started looking after all the bands, came to damienrice.com, saw the streaming video of The Professor from Union Chapel, heard Lisa singing La Fille Danse and that was it. Curiously Blower's Daughter did not have a profound effect on me, and is still not in my top 10 (well, Cannonball took around two years to get on my regular playlist).

"If you find you've got a dragon charging at you at thirty miles per hour snapping its teeth you can always drive it defensively through the covers"
Rai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:48 PM   #245
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
...that got me all exited !!! ... tricky Marti!
so the video doesn't work then? I thought it was maybe the junkie computer I'm using
Quote:
Originally Posted by viv
But thanks to maria, borneo, dboyd and probably a few others I supposed I have a relatively good collection that I'm completely addicted to. Seriously guys, I worship the ground you walk on! What would I do if it weren't for your generosity!
Toooootally!! They're all so brilliant!! And SIR borneoman.... I honesty don't know what I would do without him!

so a question from me....how did everyone find EskimoFriends? Another random occurance for me....I was watching a youtube vid of Blower's Daughter and the name came across the screen at the end. I had only glanced at the DR board....and after lurking for a bit, this place seemed quite nice and I thought I should at least register to tell people thank you for their efforts

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-02-2007 at 06:51 PM.
Lindsay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #246
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

No no Linds, the link works... check it

When I found the Igloo, the DR forums were down (and had been down for a long time) so no choice

and no need to worship please!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 PM   #247
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

haha nooo the Video work just fine Lindsay!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
so a question from me....how did everyone find EskimoFriends? Another random occurance for me....I was watching a youtube vid of Blower's Daughter and the name came across the screen at the end. I had only glanced at the DR board....and after lurking for a bit, this place seemed quite nice and I thought I should at least register to tell people thank you for their efforts
mmm i was in need of some Damien Info when 9 was coming out.... so i googled 'Damien Rice'... I tell ya the best google search ever!!!!! ... I was just curious because if the name 'eskimofriends'... so i clicked!!!!

mmm so i found EF and actually have been checking it for the news for so looooooong but it wasn't untill Jan that i signed up !!...aaaand then by the end of May.... after i went to the concert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .... i manned up and started posting!!!

ps... yeees Marti IS Fantastic!!!!!!!

repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern, repetition creates pattern...
Old 10-02-2007, 08:06 PM   #248
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
No no Linds, the link works... check it

When I found the Igloo, the DR forums were down (and had been down for a long time) so no choice

and no need to worship please!!!!!!!!!!
ok, the link works for me now..... I still don't have audio on my comp., but I guess I know what's being sung....so I can imagine this in all it's glory....
Oh. My. Gosh! !!!! What in the world are they doing flailing around like that!! Hilarious!!

haha....how about KING borneoman instead!!!
Old 10-02-2007, 08:07 PM   #249
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Maria, took you ages to start posting!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you guys reckon some people are afraid to post in here???? I'm saying cos every now and then people pm me saying so...

Not sure how welcoming the place was in the past, but i think that now everyone is super nice in here!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I have a couple of friends who signed up to be Eskimos couple years ago but did not have a nice welcome, felt insulted/attacked and left never to come back
Old 10-02-2007, 08:19 PM   #250
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Maria, took you ages to start posting!!!!!!!!!!!! Do you guys reckon some people are afraid to post in here???? I'm saying cos every now and then people pm me saying so...
hahaha i know!!!!!!!!!! ... I wasn't scared it was more like a didn't know what i was missing!!!!!!!!
but certain situations in my life drove me to this abyss hehe .... but especially the concert... probably one of the best experiences eeeeeeever!!!!!!!!

mmmm.... haha i think i like king!! ... that way we an call him you highness!!!

Old 10-02-2007, 08:30 PM   #251
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

aw, tell them to come back Marti! It's sooo nice here I think

But totally, I think some people wouldn't feel comfortable posting. Especially people who aren't very outgoing and are a bit timid. I was kind of lucky though....hehe I got drawn into the Face debate and the rest of it.... and some people were so friendly during that, that it was easier to post afterwards Haha, now this place is like a drug !!

ahaha, I love it...your highness
Old 10-02-2007, 09:03 PM   #252
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Nowadays the Igloo is no nice and warm (and lately even hot with those xtube interpr) that we might go from Eskimos to Hawaiians We might melt the Igloo Talk about global warming mr Gore

I never understood how people in a lot of forums are so so so rude, for instance there are a couple of Tori Amos forums which are the worst place on earth, they go for your neck even if you ask the most naive question or make a typo when spelling a song title...

and stop with the highness or i'll start calling you Miss Lindsay and Lady Maria he he
Old 10-02-2007, 09:14 PM   #253
viv
Eskimo Regular

I found this forum after seeing him live for the first time. IT was when he was with Fiona. I had been in love with his music for a while, but just never looked online for stuff about him. Anyway, he played Accidental Babies and I was ... As soon as I got home I had to find the title, lyrics and mp3s. And somehow stumbled in here at like 3am. I lurked for a bit and now it feels like home.
viv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 09:42 PM   #254
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

ok so.. as best as i remember it.. i heard The Blowers Daughter and i did a little research and went on his myspace.. heard cannonball and such from O. I bought O and fell in love with it. I don't know how i heard the song or what... i guess i kind of stumbled across it... I think some youtube videos might have also played a little role in this.. probably the bbc sessions...

As for these forums..Damien's site didn't have forums when i was looking to find out as much about damo as possible.. so i came across EF from damienrice.com under links and fan sites. I visited here a few times and hesitated joining.. but i decided i'd give the forums a try becasue i really like damien rice and it'd be nice to be with fellow lovers of damo .. i've also never joined a "fan site" or any kind of "fan club" for anything.. but this is probably the only and best one i will ever join! i will never leave either! woot! I'll also add that these forums have the best atmosphere everrr! the damienrice.com ones aren't as good.. people are somewhat rude and such.. i rarely visit those forums.. i'm always here instead!
No, when I really really want it all" - Bottom Shelf

"When there's nothing to give
Well how can we ask for more" - Delicate

Last edited by dboyd; 10-02-2007 at 09:46 PM.
dboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:44 AM   #255
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Nowadays the Igloo is no nice and warm (and lately even hot with those xtube interpr) that we might go from Eskimos to Hawaiians We might melt the Igloo Talk about global warming mr Gore
haha maybe that's why Damo is sooo concerned about global warming!!!! .... What will happen to his eskimos!!??!?!!

Ps... hehe is Marti the Magnificent any better for ya!??! ... Ok Ok i'll stop... I just couldn't resist

Last edited by mariaoran; 10-03-2007 at 01:48 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 01:57 AM   #256
Nine
Inuit

I found it through a google search I think - but it was a year or so before I registered because for some reason it wouldn't let me! It took me that long to get round to messaging Emmett and he put things right for me, and I've been hooked ever since!

This is absolutely the best forum i've come across - as far as the people are concerned. Most forums are full of pr*cks.

Can't remember how I discovered Damien! But I do remember when cannonball was being released for the first time, I guess early 2001 this would have been, it came on the radio while I was in the car with my nan, I would have been... about 11 I guess. And I remember I had already heard the song once and that it was by a guy named Damien, and i was trying to persuade my nan that it was a man singing! She wouldn't have it, she was sure it was a woman. Actually, I just re-listed to the O version, and whilst it's very hard to be objective, I can see what she means!

Hehe x

Last edited by Nine; 10-03-2007 at 01:59 AM.
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 03:02 AM   #257
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ He he funny, it's like my mum was always telling about a Damien Rice song she loved, but she could never remember the title, and the other day she sang it to me on the phone: "You're beautiful... you're beautiful"... can you believe it? sshjduihuiaLWFKJIK confusing Damien and James Blount!!!!!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #258
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

Quote:
^ He he funny, it's like my mum was always telling about a Damien Rice song she loved, but she could never remember the title, and the other day she sang it to me on the phone: "You're beautiful... you're beautiful"... can you believe it? sshjduihuiaLWFKJIK confusing Damien and James Blount!!!!!
omg.. my mom is the exact same way.. she really like james blunt.. and she keeps calling him Damien Rice because it's all i listen to. She can never remember his name so she keeps calling him Damien Rice because i'm always talking about him or listening to him. Everytime one of James Blunts song comes on she goes "o! i know this song, it's Damien Rice right?" ... she eventually corrects her self tho.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:21 AM   #259
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

so I was re-reading the stories on how everyone first heard of Damien....haha and my shiny, plastic story doesn't seem so appealing! I think I need to create a new story that involves Ireland or something, like Kristi and Rai!! :

Quote:

I never understood how people in a lot of forums are so so so rude, for instance there are a couple of Tori Amos forums which are the worst place on earth, they go for your neck even if you ask the most naive question or make a typo when spelling a song title...

and stop with the highness or i'll start calling you Miss Lindsay and Lady Maria he he
haha...it's scorching hot here lately!!

I knooow, I don't even get it! Why would someone join a forum if they're going to be so grumpy...aren't there other, more important things in life to get upset about . I mean, I come here because I enjoy it and this place is so wonderful that it makes me hyper!

Last edited by Lindsay; 10-03-2007 at 05:24 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 05:26 AM   #260
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dboyd
omg.. my mom is the exact same way.. she really like james blunt.. and she keeps calling him Damien Rice because it's all i listen to. She can never remember his name so she keeps calling him Damien Rice because i'm always talking about him or listening to him. Everytime one of James Blunts song comes on she goes "o! i know this song, it's Damien Rice right?" ... she eventually corrects her self tho.
Marti....I was going to say that your story is suuuper cute! Hehe...but how come I'm not surprised... look what you've started!!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #261
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

haha i think i got it better.... none of my family members know much about Damien ... all they know is that i'm completely obssesed with him.... but for sure have utterly no interest in James BlOUnt at alll ..... so that's good!!!!

Tho my brother .... everytime i put on Damien's music, especially when i put it on in the car, he starts 'fake snoring' ... it's funny he says its music for sleeping.... i end up driving as if i were alone because he eventually DOES fall asleep!!!!!

Ps... Lindsay my story is not that great either... ... i think that instead of making up a story we should take a 'quick' trip to Ireland and rediscover Damien's Music while we're there!!!!! ... It'd be fun!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:30 AM   #262
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

^ hehe, crazy how can people mix Damien and James Blount. Their voices (or lack of voice in case of JB) cannot be more different. My mum even made herself a Damien mix tape... and she put some James Blounts in between, and she never ever realised there were 2 different artists, thought it was Damien all the way...

I was thinking... People, we have to find some nice live version of Animals to covert Lindsay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You heard the one from that Norway radio???? It's just Damien solo with his guitar.... any other??
Old 10-03-2007, 05:32 AM   #263
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

my brother doesn't like damo at all really.. he doesn't hate him.. but he doesn't like him at all.. when ever i have him on he's always complaining or making comments like "don't u ever get tired of him?"

...."HELLLLL NO!"

my parents find Damien's music too depressing to listen too, and my sis doesn't mind it. My parents also don't understand why i like damien rice so much. hehe.. i've tried explaining but it doesn't work.

Old 10-03-2007, 05:41 AM   #264
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
I was thinking... People, we have to find some nice live version of Animals to covert Lindsay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You heard the one from that Norway radio???? It's just Damien solo with his guitar.... any other??
haha...this is a mission now?! Hmmm...I'm not sure if I've heard that one, I don't have my downloads on this comp. But that sounds like it could be good if it's just with his guitar!
Old 10-03-2007, 05:42 AM   #265
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
I really like the one they did in dec 2006 at St. James Chaple!!!! With Lisa!!!!!

Which is the one you're talking about Marti... Me no has it! ... oh wait is that the one from that session he did for spinners(or something like that?)????
... regardless that spinners perfomance is pretty good also ... its just Damien!!!!

Ps... Lindsay he looks pretty cute in the video .... veery tanned!!!!
I think i'll go look for it on youtube and show ya!

Old 10-03-2007, 05:49 AM   #266
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

oh yaaa....I forgot to say....Maria, I think you're name should be borneoman's disciple or something haha!! Or Queen Maria!! You're becoming such a pro at everything DR....I'm suuuper impressed

oh, but I don't have audio on youtube either...hehe, but I can look at cute tanned men, that's not a problem
Old 10-03-2007, 05:55 AM   #267
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

This is Mission:Animals!!! He he... Maria, I'm sure you have the show I was mentioning. It's a radio show from Norway Nov 2006, just the first promo he did for 9. In fact it was the first live performance of Animals (me thinks). It's just him solo and the whole show is amazing, it's a show in which he says he has a cold and his voice is not in shape but it sounds incredible...

And what do you mean that Damien was tanned? He got a fake tan or make-up or something...
Old 10-03-2007, 06:01 AM   #268
mariaoran
The girl from Venezuela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsay
oh, but I don't have audio on youtube either...hehe, but I can look at cute tanned men, that's not a problem
hahah i Pormise you'll be a convert after that video... even with no audio!!!! ... That's how amazing Animals is !!!!!
Here ya go! ...

Ps... Awww Marti for sure i don't have it! ... is it on youtube??
and ... well watch the video and judge for yourself!!! ... he looks very tanned!!!! ... or maybe its just the lighting..!?!

Last edited by mariaoran; 10-03-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:06 AM   #269
dboyd
Penguins and Whales

ok.. here come the youtube videos!!

From the spinners thingy...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdDt74eH6z4

Acoustic version from NYC Hiro Ballroom! (uy need to turn the volume up a bit)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k93ulEX5RTs

From Other Voices
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NU0L3BV63JQ

ahaha i was gonna post that too mari.. i was collecting other ones while doing so! hehe..

Last edited by dboyd; 10-03-2007 at 06:09 AM.
Old 10-03-2007, 06:10 AM   #270
Lindsay
Eskimo Regular

haha....mission accomplished!! That's the best version of Animals I've ever heard Maria hehe, juuuust kidding

ok...I've totally seen that vid before, but I don't really know if I even liked it though...hehe, perhaps I just skipped it
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaoran
Ps... Lindsay my story is not that great either... ... i think that instead of making up a story we should take a 'quick' trip to Ireland and rediscover Damien's Music while we're there!!!!! ... It'd be fun!
Gooood idea ...we'll go visit Hollie and then make a trip to Ireland ...maybe Damien will even give us a private show