Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Everything Else

Old 11-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

Default Aung San Suu Kyi to be released

As she prepares for her possible release from house arrest this Saturday, November 13th, Aung San Suu Kyi keeps alive the fight for democracy in #Burma: Rare and outstanding interviews by Alan Clements (www.worlddharma.com) and watch video recently recovered from #Burma where she spoke to the people from behind the gate of her home in Rangoon in 1995... http://www.straight.com/article-3561...oice-democracy

We all hope she will be released!!
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #2
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

They're saying she won't accept her own release if they prohibit her from any political activities... which is almost a given
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

She was finally released today!! Now let's hope they will let her to travel around the world and meet supporters!!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:16 PM   #4
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

This is such good news! I'm so happy for her to finally be free!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amie R. View Post
She was finally released today!! Now let's hope they will let her to travel around the world and meet supporters!!
I don't think leaving is the problem, she was always worried that if she did (even to see her dying husband) she wouldn't be allowed back in the country. I hope she does leave, she could do so much good with her image and eloquence on an international level to work for change in Myanmar without the risk of being imprisoned again..

I read that her youngest son is waiting for her in Thailand. She even missed seeing her children grow up while being detained. I think she has served her country and it's people admirably, and she deserves to be with her family and loved ones after all of these years of being locked up in that house alone.. I hope she allows herself that pleasure.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
Dean C
Eskimo Regular

I think she's better off staying. She remains a martyr and that can inspire with far more passion than she could ever raise outside of the country.
Dean C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
verenita
... trusty and true ...

i´m so happy for her too. but i´m torn between your opinions, melissa and dean. she can do much more if she leaves for sure, but it would be good if she stays as well...
Old 11-14-2010, 05:13 PM   #7
Amie R.
Eskimo Regular

I'm not talking about her leaving the country for good,she is even scared of leaving and not be allowed to go back,but she can be of inspiration for many people around the world and for that she needs to be able to leave. She was already invited by the norwegian Nobel Peace Prize committee to receive the prize she won to in 1991,she didn't come because she was scared of not getting back in Burma again. I hope they will give her guarantee that she can come and get to Burma again.
Old 11-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #8
Samart
Nothing unusual...

You can see that positively (or naively) like the result of the "pressure" of democratic and developed countries, or with a pessimist (more close to reality to me) view like a case of : "we don't think she can treat us anymore and if you guys want her to be free so badly, ok, then we free her". The military just won the election, and seems to still be able to do almost all they want to prevent some real opposition. So, is there a real effective "pressure" from us/international scene ? I think no. Can it be more effective. Of course yes. But it's sad, no government feel the need to invest time and money for Burma. Guess they have national problems to care about first. ANd who will blame them for that. I guess it's just one more case that make them/us sad for a minute or two when we read the newspaper or see the news, but that don't stop us from living our daily lives or sleep well.

Of course I am happy for her. It's a good thing. Now we should not forget that the other around 2000 (said by most journalists) political prisoners in Burma/Myanmar are also waiting to be free also. The last election was not fair and the military dictature is just as strong if not stronger. One fine lady and some good minded people are not good enough. The few minds really worrying and trying to make it change are too few I guess. Very sad to say, but I am just happy I don't have to live or feel the need to live in Burma.

Still one heavy case here. But we can be happy for her at least, yeah.
Samart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2021, 12:46 AM   #9
Claude
Eskimo Regular

Aung San Suu Kyi arrested...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NgQUBecM7OM
Unplayed Piano was released in Ireland on June 17, 2005 and in the UK on June 20, 2005 to coincide with Aung San Suu Kyi's 60th birthday. The song was written for Suu Kyi following a visit by Damien to Burma in July 2004. Proceeds from the sale of the single go to the Burma campaign.
Claude is offline   Reply With Quote