Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Trading

Old 11-14-2003, 09:36 PM   #1
cnpubwear
Eskimo Regular

Hello,

I'm new here and was wondering if someone could give me an ftp update in brief, I've been try to log onto the 24.193.247.136 site, but it's been full for the last hour or so.

is this the only/main site?

where else can i look?

thanks
cnpubwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 05:03 AM   #2
mierk
Eskimo Regular

Unfortunately right now that's the only ftp site available, and Mario's got only 4 spots available so people can download at a reasonable speed. Since we've got people from all over the planet trying to connect, there's no real downtime, you just kinda have to keep trying at various times.

A couple of other alternatives are to check the newsgroups for shows (alt.binaries.music.shn, I think?) that have been posted on occasion. Also if you are familiar with Bit Torrent, there are a few shows available on sharingthegroove.org for download. Welcome to eskimofriends, and good luck!
Old 11-15-2003, 05:07 AM   #3
hannadanna
Eskimo Regular

Best bet is to watch out here for Bittorrents (check out http://wiki.etree.org/index.php?page...rrentDownloads ) here are a couple that have been posted in the forum over the last couple of weeks,

12-07-02 The Olympia, Dublin, Ireland

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/torrent...7.shnf.torrent

14th December 2002 - The Playhouse, Derry, N Ireland

http://www.theskyiscrape.com/torrent...4.shnf.torrent

Feel free to ask anymore questions and I'm sure someone will help you out!

Oh Ps. try trading (or if not, a B+P)

actually if you're looking for mp3's as a taster, look to www.damienrice.co.uk and go to the "music" section.
Edited by: hannadanna
hannadanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2003, 11:08 AM   #4
kermit
Eskimo Friend

yup, that's the onlyFTP to host damien shows in .shn format (which seems to be the only thing people in here can stand).
Old 11-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #5
cnpubwear
Eskimo Regular

Thanks all,

I discovered him on sharing the groove soI've got a few shows that have been posted there and I'llbe patient for the ftp.
cnpubwear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

check out www.oth.net its a search engine for ftp servers. Theres a few differetn ftp servers sharing Damo suff, but they have sharing restrictions to enter them. Unlike Marios.

btw Angela, before i asked was the any Tom McRae ftp servers, and i found some through that site.
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
just to prove to me that you can
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
daol20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2003, 02:19 PM   #7
Angela
Eskimo Regular

That's a cool site! Thanks. Yeah, I checked out what they have of Tom. Mostly his albums and the ripped Pinkpop festival. I recently got some nice Tom bootlegs via snail mail from a board member [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Angela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 12:27 PM   #8
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Just a word of warning. I got a trojan virus the other week. And the Norton website said it was a ftp related virus.
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 11-19-2003, 03:27 PM   #9
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Ugh. And Norton didn't catch it, or what? I run McAfee.
Old 11-20-2003, 08:26 PM   #10
kermit
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by daol20

Just a word of warning. I got a trojan virus the other week. And the Norton website said it was a ftp related virus.

that's probably out of context. a virus can't be ftp related - for a virus to be associated with a certain protocol (like email, p2p...) then the protocol should allow it to be distributed. ftp's don't connect between them, so the only way is if someone logged on to lots of different ftp's and uploaded the same file(s) to all of them.

anyway, this has no relevance here, since any ftp's discussed here are only hosting .mp3 or .shn files, and a virus can infect using executables or documents with macros.
Old 11-21-2003, 09:59 AM   #11
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Not too sure. Just checked the Norton site for that virus. It said it was a common ftp transmitted virus. Didnt read anymore into it than that.

Norton caught it alright. But my system is acting strange since. Now Norton has backed up the corrupted file. I've ran a scan everyday since and its always passed. Should i restore the file that has been backed up? Is that safe now? I've deleted the virus using Norton. And i'm getting the occasional Microsoft error saying there is a missing file.
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 11-21-2003, 10:51 AM   #12
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Gee, Daragh, I have no idea! [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img] You mean Norton has "backed it up" as in "quaratained it"? That is safe, yes.

If you used Norton to do a system back up and the intect virus was backed up, that is not safe.

What I would do (for the technically inclined) is to go back to teh Norton page and read the deatails on what files are invloved.

If the virus consists only of its own downloaded files, your current problem should be unrelated. If what problems you have today has anything to do with the virus, that would only occur if the virus replaced or altered system files that were on your computer before.

Old 11-21-2003, 11:32 AM   #13
Mario
Eskimo Regular

I run a full virus scan at least once a week on my hard drive. I have Symantec running whenever the computer is on. My definition subscription is current until 2005 (thanks to my law school). And my hard drive is clean.

Not to be defensive, but if it is FTP related, its not my FTP.

As a note, this is another reason to use shn files, because if they somehow contracted a virus they would fail md5 verification.
Mario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2003, 11:45 AM   #14
daol20
Eskimo irRegular

Mario, I wasnt suggesting that i got the virus from your site. I was telling Angela about www.oth.net, im pretty sure the virus came from me trying to download ftp server software, or else being connected to one of the ftp sites from oth.net Hope i didnt offend...

Angela, Norton quaratained the corrupted file, and asked me if i wanted to delete it. I did. It also makes a backup of the file (Im not sure if its the original infected one, or the cleaned one). When i view the backedup file list, it gives me the option of restoring the file. It gives a note to be sure your system is free of the virus. But im not sure if the backed up file is included in the system virus scan. If it isnt then the scan would miss it if it was corrupted wouldnt it?? and then i'd restore the virus back to the system.

Just making it a bit clearer, i hope.[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]I'll fish around on the Norton site again when i get home. Thanks for you help, as always![img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
To see you now with him
is just making me mad
Oh so kiss him again
an I will stand here
and burn in my skin
Old 11-21-2003, 01:52 PM   #15
Angela
Eskimo Regular

Clearer, but not totally clear [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

So, the file is deleted (good riddance!). Did Norton Anti-virus do the backup? As in "you delete it, but I'll keep a quarantained copy anyway"?

If so, you would be safe.

Norton Anti-Virus does not scan *its own* quarantained files to avoid false alarms. It's the same when you use a spyware removal program. BUT...if you were to use a *different* product (say McAfee Antivirus) it would scan the entire system, including Norton's quarantained files.

I wouldn't restore the file. Can you see the file name of that file or even look at the file properties? I'd try to find out what kind of file that is.

The Norton web site should give you more detail than you'd ever want to know about what the virus does, what files it effects, how to *manually* clean it up etc.

If you find out the effected file was a Windows file or something you could just reinstall a new copy.

P.S. I hate it if your systems starts to ever so slightly go haywire [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Old 11-22-2003, 10:53 AM   #16
kermit
Eskimo Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mario
As a note, this is another reason to use shn files, because if they somehow contracted a virus they would fail md5 verification.

ROFL...

what does that has to do with anything? neither .shn or .mp3 files can be infected. it's either executables, documents, or a virus transmitted using security holes instead of files.

and if someone was able to infect .shn's, he would probably remake the .md5 file as well...

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]funny though..