Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien's Gigs

Old 03-10-2016, 09:55 AM   #1
carrroline
person

Default Asian Tour

After randomly checking the website I noticed a couple of new dates appeared in May & June. Looks like he's doing an Asian tour before hitting the summer festivals in Europe. This is what it looks like so far:

May 22 Shanghai
May 24 Taipei
May 27 Seoul
May 31 Hong Kong
June 2 Bangkok
June 4 Singapore
June 6 Tokyo
carrroline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 01:07 AM   #2
Jaetheprincess
Eskimo Baby

Yayyy. I am going to the one in Singapore ��
Jaetheprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2016, 03:53 PM   #3
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

oh he's even playing in Tokyo!!!
Old 03-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #4
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Quote:
Originally Posted by borneoman View Post
oh he's even playing in Tokyo!!!
your "even" meaning?

he supposed to play in 2007 http://www.cdjournal.com/main/news/damien-rice/70542
Old 04-20-2016, 01:01 AM   #5
damien lisa
am i breaking u

not much http://www.independent.ie/business/i...-34635462.html
Old 04-20-2016, 04:16 AM   #6
amyyhc
Eskimo Friend

Does anyone have an extra ticket for Damien's show in Taipei?
I would love to get one for my mom as she's never been to a live show, and I would love for her to experience the magic of his music. Please shoot me msg, would really appreciate it
amyyhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 09:15 PM   #7
Circa1992
Eskimo Regular

Anyone looking for tickets to see Damien in Shanghai? My daughter may have an extra ticket to the evening show on May 22nd...please let me know if interested.
Circa1992 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:04 AM   #8
damien lisa
am i breaking u

http://www.scmp.com/culture/music/ar...g-kong-concert
Quote:
Damien Rice on what he loves most about Asia, ahead of Hong Kong concert

The Irish singer-songwriter, 42, a hit at the 2015 Clockenflap festival in the city, talks about his music, career and insecurities, and why sometimes we should just get naked and dance in the rain

PUBLISHED : Thursday, 19 May, 2016, 8:01am
UPDATED : Thursday, 19 May, 2016, 8:00am
Rachel Blundy
Quote:
Damien Rice performs in Hong Kong this month.
After his triumphant performance on the main stage at Clockenflap last year, Irish singer-songwriter Damien Rice is returning to Hong Kong for a more intimate sold-out show at The Vine Centre in Wan Chai on May 31. Ahead of the performance, Rice answered SCMP.com’s questions about his songwriting process, how he is trying to come to terms with his insecurities, and why we should all sometimes dance naked in the rain.

Is there anything you particularly like about performing in and visiting Hong Kong or Asia more generally?

I’m very drawn to certain things in Asian culture – particularly the ancient ways, the holistic approach to health with acupuncture. Also the open-minded approach to life in Taoism and Buddhism, the different approach to food – these are some of the things that are fascinating to me. Different cultures have so much to learn from each other and I love learning so Asia’s a place I love to visit.

How do you feel when you’re performing live these days? Has it got harder or easier with experience?

One day is easier, then next is harder, the next is easier. That’s the way it goes.
Quote:
Rice has released three LPs, two live albums, and one EP.
What is your favourite part of the songwriting process and why?

I love when a song writes itself, where it takes me on a journey and shows itself to me – those are the songs that most often get recorded. When I try to write a song I usually get in the way of the flow, so it goes nowhere.

At this point in your career, is there a song or an album you feel particularly proud of? If so, why?

I don’t value pride – by that , I mean I don’t encourage pride in myself or others. I am more inclined to encourage humility and gratitude. I’m aware that music is a gift, as is life, so I like to stay in a space where I can remember that.

And is there anything you’ve produced which you wish you could go back and erase from your collection? If so, why?

I have put too much of my head or too much forcing into certain songs or projects because I felt the pressure to finish. These often end up unsatisfying in the end because they were pushed out of the flow.
Quote:
It’s so easy to be busy being busy and convince myself that there’s no time for fun or healing or wildness or dance. But that’s a lie – the time is there, it’s just a choice

DAMIEN RICE
In recent interviews you’ve described how you want to become more comfortable with your insecurities. How are you going about this and how successful do you think it’s been?

Insecurities can be terrifying or treasures, depending on how I look at them. Insecurities are like the rain. When it rains, people often hide or run from it because they don’t want to have to deal with getting wet. Likewise with insecurities, people run from them because they don’t want to deal with them. I like to take time aside to run in the rain. I was on a beach recently where it started to rain and everyone cleared off the beach. I took this as a great opportunity to take off my clothes and run in the rain, jump into the sea that was being splashed by the raindrops, and it was a gorgeous experience. Spending time with insecurities can also be a gorgeous experience. It’s just a decision to take the time to dance more with life. I really have to work at that sometimes because it’s so easy to be busy being busy and convince myself that there’s no time for fun or healing or wildness or dance. But that’s a lie – the time is there, it’s just a choice.

You’ve also spoken before about the soul-searching you did between your second and third album. Do you feel like you’ve found yourself again?

I think I, like many others, have become addicted to technology and the fallacy that technology makes our lives better, so I actually feel quite far from myself these days, even though I am more and more aware of how much I’d like to reconnect. With the phone, the computer, emails, the internet, and also music recording and editing all being computer-based, it is very easy to become addicted to sitting with a machine and lose connections with the physical world and with my body. Slowly, I am learning to tear myself away from the desire to get lost in working with some electronic device and choosing to pick up my guitar instead. So, I’m still working on that one.

What do you find most challenging about working in the music industry at the moment?

It is learning the art of scraping yourself up off the ground after a fall and transforming the broken pieces into something more creative than you’ve ever done before. Once this is achieved, everything else finds its place around that.

How did it feel in the early days of your career when you performed as a busker?

It was a lot easier to be creative because I didn’t have as much experience and so had less ammunition for comparisons, so I tended to let things flow more. Also, when no one had any expectations of me, I felt more free. Nowadays I sometimes have to wrestle with the expectations that arises and untangle myself from their grip so that I can allow creativity to have a life of its own without me interfering with its flow. I find that creativity is much more powerful when I learn to follow, rather than attempt to lead.

Damien Rice, May 31, 8pm, The Vine Centre, 29 Burrows St, Wan Chai, sold out.

Last edited by damien lisa; 05-19-2016 at 08:14 AM.
damien lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 12:19 PM   #9
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks a mil for this!
Quote:
It’s so easy to be busy being busy and convince myself that there’s no time for fun or healing or wildness or dance. But that’s a lie – the time is there, it’s just a choice.
i agree 100%
Old 05-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #10
damien lisa
am i breaking u

seoul May 27th

https://translate.google.com.vn/tran...20160528000022

The Professor & La Fille Danse
Delicate
I Don't Want to Change You
9 Crimes
The Greatest Bastard
i remember
Volcano
Elephant
rootless tree
It Takes a Lot to Know a man

Colour Me In
The Blower's Daughter

9 crimes https://www.facebook.com/10001154361...7121670682619/

Last edited by damien lisa; 06-01-2016 at 02:09 PM.
Old 05-31-2016, 04:29 PM   #11
damien lisa
am i breaking u

https://www.facebook.com/events/217313338621114/
Quote:
Tuesday, May 31 at 11 AM in CDT
wait, it means 12 am, jun 1st in hongkong??? cinderella running?

http://www.scmp.com/culture/music/ar...-he-likes-joke
Quote:
Damien Rice shows his talent in Hong Kong, and how much he likes a joke

Fans at Wan Chai’s Vine Centre treated to an intimate show dominated by tracks from singer’s acclaimed 2002 debut album O

PUBLISHED : Wednesday, 01 June, 2016, 1:52pm
UPDATED : Wednesday, 01 June, 2016, 2:27pm

Damien Rice on stage in Hong Kong on May 31. Photo: Kitmin Lee

Rachel Blundy

Damien Rice wants you to know that he has a sense of humour.

This is not something you would realise just from listening to his music. The brooding Irish singer-songwriter is famed for his emotionally wrought compositions. At one point during his intimate gig at Wan Chai’s Vine Centre on Tuesday night (May 31), he pauses between songs and announces, “This one is a little less intense”, provoking a ripple of knowing laughter from the audience.

Later, re-enacting a skit he has performed at many gigs over the years, he invites a female audience member onto the stage to drink a bottle of red wine with him, while her astounded boyfriend looks on.

Cheers - a Damien Rice fan joins the singer-songwriter on stage in Hong Kong. Photo: Jon Butters

What starts as a light-hearted exchange descends into what is essentially a drinking game, as Rice sets the scene for his anti-love song Cheers Darlin’, from his critically acclaimed debut album O (2002). The result has his fans belly-laughing, particularly the woman, who becomes a focus for his bitterness, while her boyfriend apparently shares the scene with their friends on Facebook. Another bizarre interaction sees him jokingly describe how he overcame a period of mild depression and writer’s block by masturbating.

Rice is generally a man of few words, at least on stage, as well as few songs, given his 20 years in the music industry. The 42-year-old musician has taken lengthy breaks for soul-searching between his three albums, which ironically appears to have been prompted by their extraordinary success. But his focus on quality over quantity has paid off – his music remains timeless and effortlessly beautiful. Opening with Older Chests, he reminds us that his early days as a busker continue to shape his overall musical approach, creating an intimacy and familiarity that his fans find irresistible.

Damien Rice on stage at his Hong Kong gig in Wan Chai’s Vine Centre. Photo: Kitmin Lee

Songs from O continue to dominate the gig and, perhaps unsurprisingly, appear to resonate most deeply with the audience. Volcano, I Remember, Amie and particularly Delicate and The Blower’s Daughter evoke a sense of fragility in a way that only he can. The standout track 9 Crimes from his 2006 album 9, is somewhat diminished by the lack of former collaborator and girlfriend Lisa Hannigan’s vocals. Subsequently, the rawness of Accidental Babies (“Do you come/ Together ever with him?/ And is he dark enough?/ Enough to see your light?”) renders it the more evocative performance.

Rice’s Irish folk roots reveal themselves more fully in Trusty and True from his most recent album, My Favourite Faded Fantasy (2014) – a song that appears infinitely superior when performed live. Meanwhile, the album’s other highlights, namely Colour Me In and It Takes a Lot to Know a Man, show how Rice has striven to give his music wholeness and precision. During the latter, he becomes a one-man band, performing impressive guitar, clarinet, percussion and drum solos. And to the sheer delight of his fans, once Rice has left the stage, the show continues outside the venue, just Rice and his guitar surrounded by a small army of his most devoted local followers.

A post-gig bonus for Damien Rice fans in Hong Kong. Photo: Jon Butters

Rice is typically reluctant to discuss the release of new material, probably because he feels intense pressure to exceed his previous work. But his fears remain unfounded; this man’s talent is innate and boundless.

better skip to 13:45better vid

Last edited by damien lisa; 06-02-2016 at 01:31 AM.
Old 06-01-2016, 09:57 AM
damien lisa
This message has been deleted by damien lisa.
Old 06-03-2016, 12:03 AM   #12
damien lisa
am i breaking u

interview before the gig in singapore https://www.bandwagon.asia/articles/...lan-no-setlist
Quote:
Damien Rice on performing: "I love to walk on stage with no plan, no setlist"

Words by Daniel Peters, Jillian Wong on 01 June 2016
Photography by Nor Asyraf

In 2006, Damien Rice released 9, his sophomore album that, while still maintaining credibility with critics and fans, did not live up to the massive success of his debut album O.

While it ultimately wasn't a determining factor, Damien Rice soon stepped away from the music industry, letting go his live band and a growing worldwide fanbase who were enchanted with the singer-songwriter after his song 'The Blower's Daughter' became a crossover hit.

His self-imposed hiatus served as a respite from Rice's disillusionment with the business — “The people I was working with started asking me to do things that I wouldn’t have thought of doing myself, like a radio version of a song,” he tells The Guardian — and other than a appearance at an LA charity event, he remained unseen from the public until he reemerged in 2014 with a new album, titled My Favourite Faded Fantasy.

In almost two years since the album's release, we've seen Damien Rice at his most confident and uninhibited as he continues to tour the album around the world, and his appearance at Neon Lights Festival in 2015 was especially a delight — touring solo this time, he's pulled off looping performances as set closers and even invited a couple onstage to have a drink with him.

The freer, more expressive Damien Rice has a lot to credit for his newfound enthusiasm for performing — "Touring is amazing, there is no worst part about it," he tells us — and we got to chat with the singer-songwriter before his first headlining show here at The Star Theatre. He talks about his comeback album, why songwriting remains a personal outlet for expression, and why he's not bothered about what the public thinks about him.

You've described your latest album My Favourite Faded Fantasy as being completely different from your previous albums. What was the inspiration behind it?

The inspiration behind it was probably a huge desire to express a load of complex emotions in a manner which was not judgmental and then somehow through that process end up with a feeling of release or letting go so that I could move into something new.

Your album was produced by Rick Rubin. He is well-known for his hands-off approach during recording sessions. Was it the same for you? What qualities/lessons do you think you’ve learned from him during those sessions?

I mostly learned that sometimes just showing up is all I’m there to do. In that, I am not so much in control of whether the music flows or not, but I can control if I show up or not, so I got into the habit of showing up anyhow, so then when the music flowed, I was ready for it.

https://youtu.be/FnzHOsiaJns

The lyrics for 'The Greatest Bastard' are exceptionally personal. How important is it to you to write an engaging story within a song? Or is your process more free-flowing?

I do not see the purpose in writing unless I’m being somewhat personal. The beauty with music is that you can be very personal and yet feel very protected in the knowledge that it’s just a song and once it becomes a song it’s not about you any longer, so there’s a great freedom and release in that process.

You took a long break after touring for your second album 9. What made you decide to return?

Returning isn’t so much a decision as it is a feeling. One knows when one needs to go to the toilet, a certain feeling comes over you and you know it’s time to pee, poo or whatever. I had a certain feeling come over me and I knew I had to make a record.
Quote:
I just do my best to stay out of the way of the creativity and it flows."

— Damien Rice, on writing music while touring.
What’s one public perception of you as an artist that you would like to get rid of?

I think people have a right to their perceptions and their stories. I might see someone else’s perception of me as being skewed or false, but who am I to say? I do not have their eyes and I do not see what they see. Maybe they are right. Maybe we are all right, from our own perspectives.

A coin looks like a circle when you look at it from one angle, and it looks like a long skinny rectangle from another angle. Maybe we are all circles and rectangles to someone else.

Are you already working on any new music at the moment?

It feels more like the new music is working on me. I’m being a little lazy but it keeps poking me to wake up and work.

Do you write music when on tour? If you do, in what kind of situation would be the least accommodating for you when writing music?

It tends to tell me what to do and I tend to follow, and I have learned to love that method the most. I just do my best to stay out of the way of the creativity and it flows.

You were especially engaging during your last show at Neon Lights, at one point inviting a couple to join you for a drink onstage. Have you spent time devising ways to make your live shows more unique?

I love to walk on stage with no plan, no setlist, and no real idea of what’s going to happen. We will often sound check a number of instruments and be prepared for various things to happen, but it doesn’t mean that it will happen. I walk on stage and songs come to me and so I sing them.

The stage is one area where I do not like to follow a plan. I think I tried to have a setlist one time and it just doesn’t work for me. The stage is a conversation that I dive into without a plan.

Special thanks to Secret Sounds Asia for setting up the interview.
Old 06-03-2016, 10:44 AM   #13
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Bangkok, Thailand jun 2nd

Older Chests
Cannonball
9 Crimes
My Favourite Faded Fantasy
The Professor
Khob Khun (Thank you)
Insane
Amie
Long Long Way
Colour Me In
Delicate
It Takes a Lot to Know a Man

The Box
vocalno
I Remember
The Greatest Bastard
The Blower's Daughter

Elephant

a song written on that stage with loop?

Last edited by damien lisa; 06-04-2016 at 02:04 AM.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:12 AM   #14
Eddie E.
Eskimo Baby

First post. Applied in April.. only got in today... not too late to say hi y'all.. and... Damien Rice Live in a few hours... yay!

Love taught me to lie
Life taught me to die
Eddie E. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 01:46 PM   #15
verenita
... trusty and true ...

thanks for all the videos!

hello eddie and welcome to the igloo
i hope you enjoyed the gig! (now, tell us about it )
Old 06-05-2016, 06:41 PM   #16
Eddie E.
Eskimo Baby

Singapore 4th June, 2016

1. Older Chests
2. I Remember
3. 9 Crimes
4. The Professor & La Fille Danse
5. My Favourited Faded Fantasy
6. Colour Me in
7. Accidental Babies
8. Volcano (with audience participation)
9. Cheers Darlin'
10. She Moves Through The Fair/Long Long Way
11. Amie
12. It Takes A Lot To Know A Man
13. The Greatest Bastard

Encore:
14. Cannonball
15. Rootless Tree
16. The Blower's Daughter

Overall, I enjoyed myself, just that after seeing him as a one-man acoustic band back in 2006 (and without Lisa), this time round I wished he had brought with him a few more people. Although he showed great talent with his looping machines, I’ll take real instruments and backing musicians anytime. I feel that the repetitiveness and long-windedness a bit of an over-indulgence on his part (feel free to revile me ヅ ). He could have save them for a few more songs.. namely “I Don’t Want to Change You” or “Trusty and True” or “Woman Like a Man” or even something from The Prophet Soundtrack, to name a few of my missing favourites.. Hopefully, he’ll be back before I’m too old.. ヅ

Love taught me to lie
Life taught me to die

Last edited by Eddie E.; 06-05-2016 at 06:50 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-05-2016, 06:47 PM   #17
Eddie E.
Eskimo Baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by verenita View Post
thanks for all the videos!

hello eddie and welcome to the igloo
i hope you enjoyed the gig! (now, tell us about it )
Thank you Verenita.. I enjoyed it tremendously and love all his music since 'O' came out but still can't be totally bias. I threw in some personal opinion in another post.. ヅ

Love taught me to lie
Life taught me to die
Old 06-06-2016, 11:18 AM   #18
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

but this is the show in which he did a bit of Stoic into Long Long Way???? or am I mixing gigs?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #19
glo32
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by damien lisa View Post
Bangkok, Thailand jun 2nd

Older Chests
Cannonball
9 Crimes
The Professor
Khob Khun (Thank you)
Insane
Amie
Long Long Way
Colour Me In
Delicate
It Takes a Lot to Know a Man

The Box
vocalno
I Remember
The Greatest Bastard
The Blower's Daughter
according to setlist.fm, he played What Have You Done To Her Face after Khob Khun. Is it true?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 05:33 PM   #20
damien lisa
am i breaking u

Quote:
Originally Posted by glo32 View Post
according to setlist.fm, he played What Have You Done To Her Face after Khob Khun. Is it true?
look like he did. My friend text me the set list, maybe she didn't know that song
Old 06-08-2016, 05:47 PM   #21
glo32
Eskimo Regular

did your friend confirm?
this is huge news if he did play it... it's the first time at a proper show.
plus, he also did a bit of stoic on this tour... maybe he's resuming some old unreleased song?
glo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 08:52 PM   #22
JSteggs
Eskimo Friend

Yeah, that would be a huge deal if he played that song. I saw it on setlist.fm and posted about it on the fb page. I really wish it will show up on on YouTube. Same goes for LLW=>Stoic. It seems like there are always 100 recordings of the Blower's Daughter popping up on YT after every show, but not any of the rarer ones so far this tour like Cross Eyed Bear, Insane, or these two He's been talking for a while about the "4th album" and in that recent interview about writing new material on tour. I wonder if those unreleased songs might be included.
JSteggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:45 AM
lisimaia
This message has been deleted by lisimaia.
Old 06-09-2016, 06:59 AM   #23
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

Damien_Lisa, can you ask your friend that texted for confirmation?
Old 06-09-2016, 12:18 PM   #24
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

wonder if it was just Face?? instead of What have you done to her face?
Old 06-09-2016, 02:06 PM   #25
damien lisa
am i breaking u

there's a song before insane. And she said it's not the only one she missed

srr, that's all i know
Old 06-09-2016, 04:54 PM   #26
damien lisa
am i breaking u

put ur camera away, someone else on top
Old 06-10-2016, 10:19 AM   #27
borneoman
Insane Eskimo

cannot find any interesting video on YT... maybe people are posting videos in other places? Instagram?
Old 06-11-2016, 09:08 AM   #28
damien lisa
am i breaking u

according to http://www.nationmultimedia.com/life...-30287514.html

Older Chests
Cannonball
9 Crimes
The Professor & La Fille Danse
Khob Khun
What Have You Done To Her Face
Insane