Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 08-20-2006, 05:14 AM   #61
alumni
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spamlet
And the Mildest shoe of our disgrace (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

No way in Hell, dude. That's the goofiest mis-interpretation I've heard in ages.

Thanks for the making me roll on the floor crying with laughter, though.

No comment on the your/my foot since I don't know which version you listened to.

Doesn't mean I was wrong though unless it was sung on the Palladium version because Damo often changes around little pronouns like that each time he sings. Recently he changed the lines in "Grey Room" again from "keep me warm" to "keep you warm".

Same goes for the "F you up" adlib. I haven't heard every version of the song he's ever done and don't doubt he may have thrown that line in one night.

Raquel,

I sent you an email but no I lost most all of my Damo rarities a few months ago when my original hard-drive died.

But Spamlet, can you really talk? You have been wrong on almost everything you said you were sure about, carefully editing the lines so that you dont look yes like an a fool. Cocunut skins etc, etc. IT is mildest shoe yes indeed and if you look on youtube, two different versions have fu,ck you up.

How can you say you be right? You be wrong on almost everything you have transcribed ha ha ha ha.
alumni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #62
cille
creepycute

oh no, not this again.
Old 08-20-2006, 10:27 AM   #63
Grant
Scottish Eskimo

Why the need to argue over it? Surely we're all welcome to our own interpretations of music and lyrics, that's what makes it special.

Not to mention the fact you unfortunately come across as a bit petty constantly trying to disprove each other over a couple of words in a song.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:04 AM   #64
alumni
Eskimo Regular

Spamlet is great though .

He's just a pit bad yes at lyric things... ha ha ha.

You get confused ha about interpretation. There is an difference between mataforacal interpretation and what the lyrics become and are.
Old 08-20-2006, 11:12 AM   #65
cille
creepycute

Let .... it .... GO!!
Old 08-20-2006, 11:37 AM   #66
Grant
Scottish Eskimo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alumni
Spamlet is great though .

He's just a pit bad yes at lyric things... ha ha ha.

You get confused ha about interpretation. There is an difference between mataforacal interpretation and what the lyrics become and are.
No i'm not confused about metaphorical interpretation nor interpretation of unclear speech. Let people believe what they want, it's harmless.

But yes, as Cille says, please let it go.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 12:04 PM   #67
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
You have been wrong on almost everything you said you were sure about, carefully editing the lines so that you dont look yes like an a fool. Cocunut skins etc, etc.
thank you thank you!

he has a problem with lyrics. he just dissects them in his Ultra-Violet-Music-Dissecting machine. he explains his theories by showing what way they are pronounced

Marge: "Lisa! Don't Gloat nobody likes a gloater, dont they homer?"
Homer: "yeah"
Marge: "SEEE, SEEE"
A couple of bucks from you?
Timeé is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 01:20 PM   #68
Bumpman

Let it go.
Old 08-20-2006, 01:27 PM   #69
alumni
Eskimo Regular

I like Spamlet..

He is just veryt rubbish at lyrics!!!
Old 08-23-2006, 10:43 AM   #70
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
But Spamlet, can you really talk? You have been wrong on almost everything you said you were sure about, carefully editing the lines so that you dont look yes like an a fool. Cocunut skins etc, etc.
Yes, I can talk: not one bit of what you just said there was true.

There is no etcetera about it. Timmy and I disagreed on what two words in that song might be. "Cookin' coconut skins" seemed an absurd line to me when he first proposed it several months ago and I still think it is but having heard Damo sing it recently at other places (thankfully, with a much clearer delivery) I immediately realized, improbable or not, Timmy was correct. He's gloated accordingly.

However, I didn't edit any lines about the Coconut skins in the thread where he and I had debated it. I never even filled in the blank space because I was never sure what he was singing there and though I said it sorta sounded like a few different just as odd phrases, never for a second did I claim to know for sure what it was.

I've already explained the "Accidental Babies" cup controversy ad nauseum but once and for all: the only word that has been proven incorrect had absolutely nothing to do with the accusations of inaccuracy which you cited. You re-opening this thread four months after the fact, stating that I should have somehow been able to predict the future when Mr. Rice would almost a year later decide to ad-lib a few words live and then ignorantly insulting me as being always wrong is patently ridiculous.

People at this site have frequently personally asked me to decipher lyrics too hard to figure out precisely because they saw that I am the opposite of rubbish at doing this job. No one else here has ever spent more time and effort on insuring that the lyrics be correct. I've used multiple methods and been mocked for it but I am not ashamed to say I take the task of being accurate very seriously. These are the words of a man I regard as a truly great poet. Every one of them is vital. Therefore it is not petty to devote all of my available energy to getting every word right.

I have transcribed the lyrics of roughly 3 dozen rare songs of both Damo solo and with Juniper here over the last few years. In all of that time I failed to figure out only two words in one song before someone else did. I've also freely admitted that I once misheard one word due to a recording glitch.

That is a grand total of three words I may have missed out of about 20 songs. Even if we averaged it out for a mere one hundred words contained per song (probably much less than half of the actual amount) then I'd still have well over a 99.99% accuracy rate. Staggeringly successful statistics (yay for aliteration!) by any reasonable standard: the numbers speak for themselves.

Now if what you say about liking me is genuine then how about you finally quit behaving like such an a-hole and repeatedly trying to provoke me/ annoy the Hell out of me to the point where I have no choice left but to loathe you? Calling me incompetant is not a good way to make me like you back. It's not funny or endearing. It just makes me want to beat you severely.

I am asking you (somewhat)politely to stop insulting me on this forum, alumni.

If you will at last just leave me alone about all of this then i will be glad to comply in like fashion.

Last edited by Spamlet; 08-23-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Spamlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:12 PM   #71
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
I immediately realized, improbable or not, Timmy was correct. He's gloated accordingly.
Brendan Grace in Father ted:

"i've had my fun thats all that matters"

thanks. you're still class.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:31 PM   #72
alumni
Eskimo Regular

Its still mildest shoe. look an youtube
Old 08-25-2006, 09:16 PM   #73
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Alumni,

OK, I've looked on YouTube at both videos. First allow me to say that I absolutely love the new ending he gave the song: it builds so powerfully and with almost unbearably gorgeous instrumentation. Hope he keeps the end music that way from now on.

He's definitely saying "mild issue" both times. I recognize that those two words sound almost exactly like the two words that you hear: "mildest shoe". The two phrases are therefore homophonous. So when two words sound exactly the same how do we make an informed guess as to which one the speaker intends us to understand? Two things: context and syntax.

I've proposed that the sentence is "And we use cushions to cover happy glands in the mild issue of our disgrace.". I will now diagram for you how and why the phrase 'mild issue' fits perfectly into all of the clauses surrounding it and how and why 'mildest shoe' does not reasonably fit any of them. Warning: heavy English grammar content follows (albeit made mercifully lighter by hilarious examples).

1. a) The phrase in question must describe "our disgrace" because the preposition "of" demands that. 'Disgrace' is the feeling which is 'issuing' (or coming out). 'Mild' describes how strongly that feeling of disgrace emits. It also serves as an obvious double entendre because the 'mild issue of disgrace' which come from 'glands' (which the adjective 'happy' lets us know that what he's referring to is the post-orgasmic sex organs) following infidelity is the remains of the bodily fluids expelled.

b) A shoe, by contrast, does not inherently describe anyone's disgrace. Unless, perhaps, your song were actually entitled something like "The Shoe" and contained an explanation of the specific rare circumstances where a shoe could inspire such a feeling. If the lyrics were all about an old cobbler, for example, who's son made a less than quality product that could be a legitimate cause of disgrace. The "mildest" shoe, however, could not be the cause of such a disgrace since, by definition, such footwear must be the least extreme example. It would describe a shoe noticably similar to the old cobbler's own work and instead be taken for a source of pride. (Are we having fun yet, folks?)

2. a) The phrase in question must be related to the "happy glands" because the preposition "in" likewise demands it. The glands are being covered by cushions in a slight emergence of a feeling of disgrace.

2. b) A shoe, though, would not be inside of a gland (no matter what the gland's disposition but if you did have a sneaker lodged in a bodily duct I doubt it'd be happy about that). See 3b on whether the reverse relationship (the "glands" are instead inside the "shoe" itself) is logical.

3. a) "Our disgace" takes the form of the glands (and their issue) being covered by "cushions".

3. b) If "our disgrace" and, therefore, the "glands" are already being covered by the "cushions" then why would the "shoe" need to cover the "glands" also? Provided a man would even choose to stick his testicles inside of a shoe in order to re-cover (because they're already being hidden by cushions, remember?) them, how would one shoe also be a significant size to cover his lady friend's hoohah? While we're on the subject, wouldn't a shoe gigantic enough to cover all of those areas have to be anything but "mild" in description?

4. If the "shoe" doesn't modify either "disgrace", "glands" or the act of covering then the only thing left for it to describe is the "cushions" themselves and for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would describe "cushions" as a "shoe" which is also "mild" AND filled with "disgrace". You wanna take a crack at justifying that one? If you're able to credibly defend it, then I'll fully admit that "I'm not worthy!" of your evident Godlike powers of logic.

Surely after all of this evidence, alumni, you're a reasonable enough fellow that you're willing to concede you were mistaken about "the mildest shoe"?

I gotta admit, though, my friends, that this response has easily been the most entertaining and enjoyable analysis I've done since arriving here.
Old 08-25-2006, 09:19 PM   #74
Timeé
Intello

Quote:
(Are we having fun yet, folks?)
.. . . . . . no
Old 08-25-2006, 09:22 PM   #75
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timeé
.. . . . . . no
Liar.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:35 PM   #76
alumni
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Alumni,

OK, I've looked on YouTube at both videos. First allow me to say that I absolutely love the new ending he gave the song: it builds so powerfully and with almost unbearably gorgeous instrumentation. Hope he keeps the end music that way from now on.

He's definitely saying "mild issue" both times. I recognize that those two words sound almost exactly like the two words that you hear: "mildest shoe". The two phrases are therefore homophonous. So when two words sound exactly the same how do we make an informed guess as to which one the speaker intends us to understand? Two things: context and syntax.

I've proposed that the sentence is "And we use cushions to cover happy glands in the mild issue of our disgrace.". I will now diagram for you how and why the phrase 'mild issue' fits perfectly into all of the clauses surrounding it and how and why 'mildest shoe' does not reasonably fit any of them. Warning: heavy English grammar content follows (albeit made mercifully lighter by hilarious examples).

1. a) The phrase in question must describe "our disgrace" because the preposition "of" demands that. 'Disgrace' is the feeling which is 'issuing' (or coming out). 'Mild' describes how strongly that feeling of disgrace emits. It also serves as an obvious double entendre because the 'mild issue of disgrace' which come from 'glands' (which the adjective 'happy' lets us know that what he's referring to is the post-orgasmic sex organs) following infidelity is the remains of the bodily fluids expelled.

b) A shoe, by contrast, does not inherently describe anyone's disgrace. Unless, perhaps, your song were actually entitled something like "The Shoe" and contained an explanation of the specific rare circumstances where a shoe could inspire such a feeling. If the lyrics were all about an old cobbler, for example, who's son made a less than quality product that could be a legitimate cause of disgrace. The "mildest" shoe, however, could not be the cause of such a disgrace since, by definition, such footwear must be the least extreme example. It would describe a shoe noticably similar to the old cobbler's own work and instead be taken for a source of pride. (Are we having fun yet, folks?)

2. a) The phrase in question must be related to the "happy glands" because the preposition "in" likewise demands it. The glands are being covered by cushions in a slight emergence of a feeling of disgrace.

2. b) A shoe, though, would not be inside of a gland (no matter what the gland's disposition but if you did have a sneaker lodged in a bodily duct I doubt it'd be happy about that). See 3b on whether the reverse relationship (the "glands" are instead inside the "shoe" itself) is logical.

3. a) "Our disgace" takes the form of the glands (and their issue) being covered by "cushions".

3. b) If "our disgrace" and, therefore, the "glands" are already being covered by the "cushions" then why would the "shoe" need to cover the "glands" also? Provided a man would even choose to stick his testicles inside of a shoe in order to re-cover (because they're already being hidden by cushions, remember?) them, how would one shoe also be a significant size to cover his lady friend's hoohah? While we're on the subject, wouldn't a shoe gigantic enough to cover all of those areas have to be anything but "mild" in description?

4. If the "shoe" doesn't modify either "disgrace", "glands" or the act of covering then the only thing left for it to describe is the "cushions" themselves and for the life of me I can't imagine why anyone would describe "cushions" as a "shoe" which is also "mild" AND filled with "disgrace". You wanna take a crack at justifying that one? If you're able to credibly defend it, then I'll fully admit that "I'm not worthy!" of your evident Godlike powers of logic.

Surely after all of this evidence, alumni, you're a reasonable enough fellow that you're willing to concede you were mistaken about "the mildest shoe"?

I gotta admit, though, my friends, that this response has easily been the most entertaining and enjoyable analysis I've done since arriving here.
whatever.. I've seen this all before. You are wrong me friend, as you always have been. Mildest shoe from them having sex. If so serious the song, why is it just a 'mild issue'?
Old 08-28-2006, 06:54 PM   #77
Closing_Doors
Hysterical & Useless

Oh Jesus.

Spamlet, boasting that you have been right about lyrics 99% of the time is like congratulating yourself for not falling over every couple of hundred steps. Most songs aren't that difficult to decipher. Granted we all know that you spend a lot of time working at the more difficult ones, and hey we're grateful but let it go. Alumni there's no way in hell the line is "mildest shoe", if for no other reason than it makes no sense.

Seriously guys, get out the rulers now or forever hold you peace.
how a little love goes a long long long way.

-- Simon Armitage
Closing_Doors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2006, 07:45 PM   #78
cille
creepycute

just don't feed the back-on-campus-with-www-access-and-bored little troll
Old 08-29-2006, 08:22 AM   #79
Spamlet
Resident Contrarian

Closing,

What's the ruler for?

To measure c*cks?

I'm gonna need a yardstick...

Seriously though, it's not boasting when you're constantly having mud slung at you that you've never gotten anything right. It's defending your reputation against slander with facts.

But Cille is right.

I used reason.

I used humor.

I offered to drop all of it.

He's just trying to get attention.

He's doing the childish "nu-uh" game.

He just will need to be completely ignored from now on.

Bye, alum.

Have fun ranting to yourself!
Old 08-29-2006, 02:59 PM   #80
G2020
Eskimo Hunter

Default Ha!

Good christ..........how could it possibly be "mildest shoe" IDIOT!!!!!!!
G2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2006, 04:06 PM
cille
This message has been deleted by cille. Reason: i screwed up the posts
Old 08-29-2006, 04:11 PM   #81
alumni
Eskimo Regular

hmmm.. maybe i has was being a little too harsh. It may be mildest shoe, I think thats cool. But closing eyes it sounds like almost mild issue.. tough one.

Yes but when the album comes out we shall see. ha ha ha. Then I will do many services to you if you are right.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:24 PM
verenita
This message has been deleted by verenita.
Old 08-29-2006, 07:25 PM   #82
verenita
... trusty and true ...

talking about songs (cause i just heard accidental babies, thanks to mike!!!!!)...
i found couple of songs i´ve never heard... and i´m totally in love with fool!!!!
how i would love to see damien live!!! well... maybe some day!
verenita

ps: peace, people ;o)
verenita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2006, 03:28 AM   #83
MacrossGirl
No hero in her sky..

Ok is it JUST me.. or does anyone else want to know exactly how to get Damiens foot in the appropriate place? It can not be just me.. oh. It is just me? hehe

http://www.myspace.com/5859320
MacrossGirl is offline   Reply With Quote