Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Everything Else > Introduce Yourself

Old 05-27-2005, 08:03 PM   #31
frozeneye
Eskimo Baby

I hear of Damien Rice through my wife. Somone was getting cd's copied there and they happened to have the Cannonball single, and they couldn't stop talking about it, they made everyone listen to it and my wife figured it was something I probably would like and it was.
frozeneye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2005, 03:15 PM   #32
Firecracker
Eskimo Baby

Wink

I met a nice Irish guy a few years ago in Dublin and he sang me ‘the blowers daughter’….
Next day I bought the album..
Old 05-30-2005, 12:57 PM   #33
witqueen
Eskimo Baby

Default Lost

I first heard his music while watching Episode 13 or 14 of LOST. Hurley is sitting on the beach at the end of the show and he is listening to Delicate play on his walkman, when the batteries die...so haunting...the LOST website claimed no music in that episode, but through my wonderful Nancy Drew skills, found another LOST fan site that someone was able to identify the musician....bought the cd yesterday....wonderful..
witqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2005, 09:28 PM   #34
biggmalique
All i need is one mic.

I watched the movie Closer and was hooked since.

Cheers!
Old 06-03-2005, 10:23 PM   #35
Adam50312
Eskimo Baby

[quote=WhatAmIDarling?]My Dad introduced him to me.

We were driving home from a 3-day concert from a band called "Jump, Little Children" (who are amazing btw--[quote]

I'm with you on this one. Cathedrals is an awesome tune....
Adam50312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2005, 08:48 AM   #36
StatQuo
You never got me right!

I've only discovered him with the movie closer, unlike the movie i did love damien's song. My gf had downloaded some of the songs from O, after that went out and bought O & B-sides package. And two weeks ago bought a guitar myself. Thanks damien.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:12 AM   #37
Livo
Eskimo Frames Expert

where i get most of my music from - i nick it off my brother. it was first year and i was just getting into proper music (idlewild being the kick-off point) and i had heard of this damien rice guy.. i was like hmmmm should i give this a listen and he said definitely. so i burned it. i didn't listen to it properly for a good while though, but i knew all the songs already just from hearing them around our house. then i listened properly and started crying during i remember.
Old 06-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #38
no1rice
Eskimo Baby

Default I love Rice

My older sister introduced me to Damien Rice.I listened to "cannonball"and "Blowers daughter" and was hooked.Then i borrowed "o" and listened to songs such as amie,cold water,volcano,older chests etc.My favourite song is "delicate".
no1rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2005, 01:40 PM   #39
eims
Eskimo Eejit

Location: University of Wales, Aberystwyth. Originally from Norn Iron tho..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livo
where i get most of my music from - i nick it off my brother.
lol- i didnt get into DR this way -but he buys the CDs and i nick them! always good! 'til i leave in Sep. .. then what'll i do?! lol
Old 06-09-2005, 02:42 AM   #40
Tribal_Drummer
Eskimo Baby

my cousin introduced me to damo. her boyfriend at the time was a lovely irish chap that was travelling in aus & gave her the album. i remember sitting out in the backyard & hearing it for the first time, thinking to myself '****, this guy is amazing'

hooked ever since!
Old 06-09-2005, 04:24 AM   #41
Lemmy
Eskimo Regular

I heard about Damien through my friend, whose sister had an Irish friend who introduced HER to Damien.

But I really discovered his music when I went to the clinic in Burma (the same one he went to) and our friends there told us about how nice he had been....and I was like "ohmygod i've heard of him, he's a great musican" and then I re-discovered his music when I came back home, and have been hooked since!
Old 06-15-2005, 11:23 PM   #42
Soleillily
Eskimo Shutterbug

Lemmy...thats awesome^!

I discovered Damien through my sister back in 2003...yay family! My car stereo had broken and all that it would play was tapes so my sister recorded O for me on tape and said 'tell me wha you think?'. I had a long commute to work at the time and thats what I had in the car...after a couple of listens I was sooooooo hooked. I didn't fix my stereo...for forever...

My sister and I went to see him in a nearby city at a tiny bar that same year in November, the tix were $13.50...it was amazing and only added to my obession !
Old 06-16-2005, 02:30 AM   #43
walker
The Masked Eskimo

Wink

I found out about Damien three years ago or so. I knew about Juniper and how they split and always wondered what happened to them. Then one early morning I was watching Vh1 and there was damien singing awy with viv and lisa playing volcano. Since that morning there had only been one man in my life, haha

Oh and also I cought the Philly show at Tower theatre April 15th '04. Yeah, it pretty much kicked some ass!
walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 03:30 AM   #44
Aninha
Eskimo Baby

my friend discovered his music... and you khow how it ends
Aninha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2005, 09:41 AM   #45
snowbaby
Eskimo Regular

i got into damo cause im irish and the blowers daughter got a lot of airplay on irish radio a good while back there. this was well over a year ago, nearly two years ago, he was coming to ul in autumn of 03 i believe and all my friends were chatting bout him so i wanted to hear more, one of my friends gave me the album..... i fell in love. and now out of love cause ive got all the unreleased stuff too and like 5 years later there's still no new material!!!!! damo's music really represents an entire era in my past for me, o has been the soundtrack to some good times and some sad times but as much as i love it im just disillusioned now!!!!!
Old 06-23-2005, 04:17 PM   #46
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

i first heard damien'd album played in my friends house at about 3 am in the morning after something of a late night session...we all went back to his, and chilled out....and i fell in love with the album there and then! volcano f**kin rules i have to say!
Old 06-23-2005, 07:48 PM   #47
blether
Eskimo Friend

Default thank you christmas

It was not this christmas but the one before. My sister hears him on a good radio (he was only on 1 radio at this time in France) and she says: I want his album for christmas. That was a sister's job.
Then the 25th she opens the present and... the miracle! soft, just a caress.

Then...

I have spent a couple of months in another country. I have taken the album with me, and it was even better because I was not at home. And a morning, at work, I hear... Damien Rice. And then everyday on the radio a different song!
It was like...a second discovery.
blether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 02:29 AM   #48
gregamiepgy
marsh - wiggle

very very random. i saw the last remaining O with the B sides in a record store and thinking his name sounded familiar as one of the esteemed singers out there i bought it without thinking twice. can't remember the precise moment when i was acquainted with him though.

Mrs Doyle: Fr Todd Unctuous?
New Priest: [Suddenly elated] YES! WELL DONE!
gregamiepgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2005, 11:49 PM   #49
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

back in the summer of 2003 a friend of mine called me while i was asleep, he told me to turn on the tv on letterman. i was gona hang up and go back to sleep but i turned on the tv, and there he was... damien singing cannonball. i could not believe how awsome this guy was. i bought 'o' online that same night.
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 04:58 PM   #50
scattered rainbows
Eskimo Baby

I vaguely remember hearing cannonball on the radio just before glastonbury that year and damien played - my mum stayed up all night listenin to his set and then told me how beautiful it was. then i heard the song some more and loved it, blower's daughter made me buy the album.

"You shower me with lullabies
As you're walking away"
scattered rainbows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:00 PM   #51
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

I saw him on Vh1 a year or two ago, and never thought about lookin in to him1! then i was at Malaga airport last summer, and i was browsing through the records and found 'O', and it struck a chord in my mind!! and remembered him!! So i bought it, it was like 24euros, (Stupid airport Shops) I then saw it at gatwick for 8.50!! but i didnt care, cause i listened toit allthe way there on the plane, and i fell in love with the 'blowers daughter'. and i was all on my own on the flight, and i hate flying cause im a big wuss, but i just turned it on, and drifted away!! I was in heaven!! I just stared out the window, lookin at the sky and lookin at the land below me, and it just reminded me how beautiful the world really is!! I dont think i had ever been more relaxed and calm on a plane, or in anything!!

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 05:38 PM   #52
flyaway
Eskimo Geek

I was having a rough old time of it, and my friend lent me "O" and said it would cheer me up. It bloody did. She also got me drinking tea, but thats an entirely different story.
flyaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 10:31 PM   #53
blether
Eskimo Friend

what about the tea???
blether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2005, 11:43 PM   #54
kika
Eskimo Baby

I kwen him in the movie "CLOSER". Was the first time that listened and i love him
kika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 12:24 AM   #55
~ Katie ~
Lady Lola

My story is probebly somewhat deeper than a lot or your's..so I wont go ther... but I am so attatched to that album ever since!! I'v had the pleasure of meeting Damien quiet a few times now and he was always so nice to me which added to it!! His songs are beautiful..and they relate to everyone..on one way or another..and in a lighter and deeper sense!!

~ Katie ~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 04:05 PM   #56
maccas81
Eskimo Ladies Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ Katie ~
My story is probebly somewhat deeper than a lot or your's..so I wont go ther... but I am so attatched to that album ever since!! I'v had the pleasure of meeting Damien quiet a few times now and he was always so nice to me which added to it!! His songs are beautiful..and they relate to everyone..on one way or another..and in a lighter and deeper sense!!
no i think we ALL want to hear that story now!!
Old 06-30-2005, 05:08 PM   #57
kmcqui1
Eskimo Friend

The song cannoball got me in 2 damien rice my sisters boyfriend played it me about 2 years ago and i thought it was a great song. I didnt become a big fan til sadly i lost one of my friends and that was one of his favourite albums even tho he had many he loved nusic so much. So i went and brought o and it reminds me of him so much even tho it makes me sad it is peaceful aswell. Went to c Damien at the palladium and even tho i had to get the tissues out it was amazing and i joined this web site after palladium as seeing him live got me more hooked.
kmcqui1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 06:33 PM   #58
Beevers_uk
Esquimal Conducido Pasión

Location: In My Sugar Coated World, Filled With Angels And Love And Happiness And... And You.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmcqui1
The song cannoball got me in 2 damien rice my sisters boyfriend played it me about 2 years ago and i thought it was a great song. I didnt become a big fan til sadly i lost one of my friends and that was one of his favourite albums even tho he had many he loved nusic so much. So i went and brought o and it reminds me of him so much even tho it makes me sad it is peaceful aswell. Went to c Damien at the palladium and even tho i had to get the tissues out it was amazing and i joined this web site after palladium as seeing him live got me more hooked.
Awwwwwww
And welcome!!

- Im Not Who You Think I am, I Slipped A Stranger Inside -
...~Noelie Mcdonnell~...
- You'll Be My Muse, And I'll Be Your Poet -
...~My Myspace Thingy~...
Beevers_uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2005, 09:49 PM   #59
nishy
Eskimo Baby

I was introduced to him through my Tv =) I saw and HEARD Volcano. That just blew me away and away...
Old 07-01-2005, 02:01 AM   #60
~ Katie ~
Lady Lola

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccas81
no i think we ALL want to hear that story now!!
Coming up to two years ago I lost my best friend and her sister in a carcrash...My friend was only gone 16 and her sister was 18, because they were both so youngmade it harder to comprehend...
One of the songs choosen at the funeral was Cannonball!! What made it a little more special was my friends brother actually sang it himself and played acoustic! To this day I still dont know how he done it!
I remembered hearing of Damien before that and kept meaning to get his album, after I heard it played at the funeral I had to buy it! That song means so much to me! As does the entire album now!
He's amazing and gets so many people through so many things. Big and little! Every little thing helps!

~ Katie ~ is offline   Reply With Quote