Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 09-04-2004, 08:21 PM   #1
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

i was just watching the god awful thing that is simon cowell's new search for a star show 'The X Factor' and they were playing a montage of all these muppets crying cos they hadn't gotten through with cannonball playing over the top....what is the world coming to?!?!
Vienna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:28 PM   #2
Gazel
Eskimo Regular

This isnt another ofsimon cowell's "I'll judge a load of talentless idiots and I'll take all the money" shows is it?[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Gazel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:35 PM   #3
Cali
Vegetable Eskimo

what's the x factor?
Cali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 08:46 PM   #4
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazel
This isnt another ofsimon cowell's "I'll judge a load of talentless idiots and I'll take all the money" shows is it?[img]smileys/smiley19.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

yes it sure is...it's terrible!

it's rubbish cos the idea of the show is supposed to be that anyone over the age of 16 can enter and it doesn't have to just be solo artists it can be groups too and the auditions are split in to groups of 16-24, 25 and over and groups but.......

so far in this show no-one in the 25 and over group has gotten through and Simon Cowell, other wise known as twat features, doesn't seem to be interested in any one older than 20 going through, there was this dear old 81 year old and he said she's not right for the competition but surely that defeats the object of letting anyone enter!?!?! [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]stupid man!!
Old 09-04-2004, 08:54 PM   #5
Gazel
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vienna

it's rubbish cos the idea of the show is supposed to be that anyone over the age of 16 can enter and it doesn't have to just be solo artists it can be groups too and the auditions are split in to groups of 16-24, 25 and over and groups but.......

so far in this show no-one in the 25 and over group has gotten through and Simon Cowell, other wise known as twat features, doesn't seem to be interested in any one older than 20 going through, there was this dear old 81 year old and he said she's not right for the competition but surely that defeats the object of letting anyone enter!?!?! [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]stupid man!!

Replace the word "show" with "music industry", and you've pretty much summed the whole business up.

I hate the way that now the mainstream music industry is aimed mostly at pre-teen girls, with the same old tripe being churned outweek after week. Most bands have a life span of 2 songs at the most and then disappear into obscurity.

I hate it soooo much!!![img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2004, 08:57 PM   #6
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

i do too i share your anger Gazel!!! [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

it is most amusing to watch though, there are some truly terrible people entering who really do believe they are good!! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2004, 09:01 PM   #7
Gazel
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]Why do these people enter?Somebody must have told them they were good, probably just having a laugh.

Do you remember on Pop Idol ([img]smileys/smiley11.gif[/img]), the bloke dressed as a banana singing "under my skin"[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2004, 09:07 PM   #8
WeeAngel
Eskimo Angel

what i thought was funny was that my ex_boyf was on the irish version of it called you're a star last year! he auditioned singing cannonball and got through to the last 13 in ireland however he was knocked out after starting off on the wrong chord in the live finals.
just thought that them playing cannonball was a strange coincidence!

Guy on Airplane: Oh great, I always end up sitting next to a damn baby.
Stewie: What did you just say?
Lois: Stewie, stop fussing.
Stewie: Pipe down Lois. (Slaps guy on head.) Hey big man, turn around. Oh you can't hear me now. I was going to watch the movie, but forget it. For the next 5 hours, you're my bitch.
WeeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:39 PM   #9
mestonf
Eskimo Regular

[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2004, 09:46 PM   #10
WeeAngel
Eskimo Angel

[img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Guy on Airplane: Oh great, I always end up sitting next to a damn baby.
Stewie: What did you just say?
Lois: Stewie, stop fussing.
Stewie: Pipe down Lois. (Slaps guy on head.) Hey big man, turn around. Oh you can't hear me now. I was going to watch the movie, but forget it. For the next 5 hours, you're my bitch.
WeeAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2004, 09:50 PM   #11
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

well at least someone goes on these shows and auditions with decent songs!!! but still awful shows!!

yeh gazel i remember that guy!!! these people obviously have no friends or friends that are more like enemies if they tell them that they're actually any good!
Old 09-04-2004, 10:28 PM   #12
Aime
Eskimo Regular

agh! thats so weird i was flicking around and my mum came in and was like "thats nice music... what are you watching" and i was like "thats damien rice, he's just so wonderful and so fantastic etc etc etc" and she was all hmmm - surprisingly she STILL hasn't heard any of his music, pity!

The even funnier thing about that "X-Factor" thing is that louis walsh has a say in it, i mean what a joke! i think damien is leading the way (with many other artists of course) by having and independ record label, he doesnt need anyone telling him what to do and how to do it, musicians should be accepted for who they are not what they look like, some people will like it - great. some people dont - so what, they're entitled to their opinion.

actually in the end they let that little 81 year old through, and there was a classical group who did bohemian rhapsody, they were AMAZING!! i hope for the sake of the music industry in it's current state they win!!!
Old 09-04-2004, 10:32 PM   #13
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

yeh i know they let her through but he so didn't want to because he couldn't see her signed to his record label....so why, i ask you doesn't he just do another series of pop idol then cos he's blatantly never gonna sign anyone that isn't just another britney rip off or the like!!

and yeh that group of classically trained singers was amazing, so glad they got through...will beinterested to see how far they get now!!

oh god why do i get sucked into these shows [img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img][img]smileys/smiley9.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2004, 10:51 PM   #14
Aime
Eskimo Regular

nah i like watching the general auditions when there's all the bad people singing and then i give up but i do wish those classical guys well i was sitting there in awe... it was just so fantastic. I CANT BELIEVE LOUIS WALSH IS A JUDGE!!!! he wouldnt know talent if it kicked him in the balls!!!

i was just saying to someone the other day actually, i wonder what good ol' louis' opinion of damien rice is...
Old 09-04-2004, 10:56 PM   #15
Lemonhead
Eskimo Regular

he actually said in an interview once that he really liked him![img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img] http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article...95480_4,00.htm land in another one, somewhere!!Edited by: Lemonhead
Old 09-04-2004, 11:00 PM   #16
sarahukuk
Eskimo Regular

OH MY GOD i couldn't believe that cannonball was on the X-Factor my mum was like thats that rubbish you listen to i was like mum hes the best singer in the world (maybe not the best but hes certainly not the worst)

i think the classical group were amazing! Bet they don't get far it will be another stick thin girl singing britney style songs (no offence) i wasn't even going to watch it but it seemed a laugh [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]i love all the people who think they can sing and are really sh*t
sarahukuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 12:54 AM   #17
J.M.C
Eskimo

People people you all missing the point here. Now I aint a Pop Muisc fan but take the time to read my thoughts....

By saying we hate and dont like pop music we are limiting music. Pop music has a very big audience and it changes peoples lives etc. Now you dont have to like pop music but to want to ban in is very stupid Because thats what people like...... Thats like Someome who likes Brittney and Westlife sayingI think music like Damien Rice and things like that shud be banned and there crap but you dont hear people who like pop saying that. Where just abit snobby about music because we like people who play instrements but people who like pop normaly just like the music for what it is and dont care about them not singing live or not being able to play the song on an instrement. Its just there not as into music so they pick up on what they hear in everyday life and what they see you cant blame them its just a clever buissness. Its just like Someone who is not into sport buying a cheap pear of boots it dont bother them that they dont have everything they shud, it just matters that it does what they want from them. So if pop does it for the crowd who are we to judge that we should just blank it out.

Also simon cowl.....I hope people dont think he likes the stuff he puts out cause he dunt. If u played him westlife then Damo he wud no who was better and more talented but he also knows who would make moremoney which is his job to make money and give people what they want and this is what people who like pop want they dont want a Damo same way we dont want a westlife its just the way it is. Good music will always be underground to a point and then some people will call out to the pop world then you got pure pop and thats it.

Peace out all sorry for the rant....RESPECT J.CEdited by: J.M.C
J.M.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:46 AM   #18
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I like pop music [img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]

Oh and that 81 year old granny DID get through!! But in fairness Simon was right... she could hold a tune, but didn't have the X-factor... I can't see myself hanging posters of her appearing in FHM on my wall... [img]smileys/smiley5.gif[/img]

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 11:55 AM   #19
sarahukuk
Eskimo Regular

im not saying i hate all pop music all i was saying is that everything is the same if you know what i mean, you flick through music channels and the bands and singers are the same style
sarahukuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2004, 01:25 PM   #20
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

nah i never said i don't like pop music, in fact i love it!!

i do agree with you wheels about the granny but at the same time it still seems to me that all simon cowell really wants is the young'uns, which kinda makes me think what's the point in allowing anyone to enter

what i didn't realise though was that they have to take equal numbers from each of the 3 groups so i guess that does make it fair in the end!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.C
Where just abit snobby about music because we like people who play instrements but people who like pop normaly just like the music for what it is and dont care about them not singing live or not being able to play the song on an instrement.

i don't particularly agree with this. i personally don't think i am snobby about music at all, it's not pop music that i don't like it's these shows, although i have to thank Pop Rivals for finding girls aloud cos i bloody love those girls!! [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]also when i was younger i was very much into my pop music and i always found it annoying when the groups or artistsdidn't sing live, maybe i was just a particularly hard to please child!

totally agree with what you said about simon cowell not liking the stuff he puts out though... like you say he just puts out whatever it is he thinks is gonna earn him the most bucks!!

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]now there's my rant over, i probably didn't make any sense...sorry guys!!
Old 09-05-2004, 02:05 PM   #21
J.M.C
Eskimo

Yeah sarah pop music is all the same at the moment but again thats just the genre like the pop in the 60's and 70's was all veryy simalar its basicly when they find something people like they keep bringing it out to make money and when it stops making money the music changes maybe once every 20 years lol. And Vienna when i said where abit snobby about musicI was genralising to make a point I know we all aint just some people and some of us are without really knowing. And my final point the way your all saying he dunt wanna sign and old person to his label so what was the point its just incase there is someone really good out there who int 18 but basicly the old woman want the best singer and is hardly had the x factor so he was just protecting his intrests. He is a very clever man. And who knew sharron osbourn had made over 100 million on selling records and managing bands ? But i will give the ginger "rapper" some respect for the come back.....

Sharron " do you wanna be black"

"Rapper" "i dont know, do your kids wanna get out of rehab"

haha classic dising

laterss xxxx J.C

Edited by: J.M.C
J.M.C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:33 AM   #22
SilentNight
Eskimo Regular

sometime someone just wants to have some fun, and make money too, i wish him luck.
SilentNight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:30 PM   #23
MelodyMakerMan
Eskimo Regular

You see, you guys over in Ireland are lucky from what I hear. The fact is Rock/Punk/Indie/Folk here in Britain is very very underground, unless your willing to sell out and become 'pop'. From what I hear, the young people in Eire prefer the rock and folk scenes to Dance, and r'n'b... which all the young people seem to be into in England. Now not all pop is bad, good pop is great, some of avril lavigne's tunes are an exhibit of this.. however Britney Spears and her counterparts just drag music down instead of progressing... it's just selling out making as much money for tripe when the real musicians with the real talent have to hold down a full time job and try and fit their music in(i call it a criminal distraction)...and just wait for that lucky break. for example I know loads of singers/songwriters/bands who are better than any chart stuff.. but they'll never make it cos in a small town dump in England your not gonna get that break, unless you really really really go for it... and so the rich get richer and the poor... you know where I'm coming from.

What I've heard the live bands thing in Ireland is amazing and thats what the young people do, I may be wrong.

I'm waffling!
MelodyMakerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 12:36 PM   #24
looly
Loolius Cornipicus

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeeAngel
what i thought was funny was that my ex_boyf was on the irish version of it called you're a star last year! he auditioned singing cannonball and got through to the last 13 in ireland however he was knocked out after starting off on the wrong chord in the live finals.
just thought that them playing cannonball was a strange coincidence!

I remember seeing him!!! I remember him singing cannonball too, that's what caught my ear! And I was thinking ' ah they have to let him through, he's got taste!'

[img]smileys/smiley4.gif[/img]
Old 09-06-2004, 06:53 PM   #25
Enoch
Eskimo Regular

Fact: The X Factor is Car-Crash Television (you know you shouldn't watch but you can't help it)

Fact: The vast majority of people would rather watch cringingly bad performances and laugh at them, than watch people with cough "talent" cough

Fact: The bigger the cross section of public able to apply the more f**king idiots we will get to laugh at, the more drama we will see, and the more publicity the show will get

Fact: I watched it the other day and pissed myself laughing
Old 09-06-2004, 07:07 PM   #26
Vienna
Eskimo Grammar Queen

so true, so very true [img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 09-07-2004, 09:48 PM   #27
Aime
Eskimo Regular

lol, i was the biggest teeny bopper in the world when i was little but i've always like pink floyd and the beatles and the super furry animals (thats what happens when you've got your 7 year old friends telling you this is the "cool" band but your cool older sister telling you this is "real music") but i still loved pop... i mean.. it is all the same, its like a crap teen movie you've heard it before and its all crap but ya gotta enjoy it... my friends and i are trying to run a briing back the backstreet boys campaign. (probably not the best place to be mentioning that) but anywho... my sister is always slagging me for being a music snob... at first i refused to believe her but now i kinda realise that i am.. i get annoyed with teeny boppers for going on about damien and snow patrol as if they've been listening to them for years (just cause they're the next "thing") when really i should be soo thrilled that they've gotten to the level where people will just accept their music for what it is instead of being told by the media that they gotta listen to it!

BRING BACK KEV, A.J, HOWIE, NICK AND THAT OTHER ONE!!!
Old 09-07-2004, 10:09 PM   #28
Hannah650
Wee Wils

*coughbriancough*
Old 09-12-2004, 02:07 PM   #29
fmmc
Eskimo Friend

[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]
Old 09-12-2004, 02:20 PM   #30
Colbarr
Eskimo Welcomer

what was "[img]smileys/smiley36.gif[/img]" all about fmmc??

Check these out, Moesley.

Chairman of the Welcoming Comittee.
Colbarr is offline   Reply With Quote