Home   | About   | Contact  | Lyrics  | Tabs  | Forum

The Igloo

Go Back   The Igloo > Damien Rice > Damien Rice

Old 05-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #1
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

Default Amie

Who is Amie?

This is my wild imaginations idea of who she is: someone who Damein grew up with (most likely an older sister/older sister figure) who died. I can just picture a little boy and his sister sitting on their front porch looking up at the late evening sky at an imaginary space ship, flipping through chidrens books. He feels safe and secure with her, and now that he's older, when he is feeling INSECURE, he call out to her.

But who is she REALLY?
Old 05-07-2005, 05:14 PM   #2
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

I think he said before that she was a friend of his.

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 02:35 AM   #3
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

It's one of his most intense and personal feeling song of his. So, it must be a person he was VERY close with.
Ranting Thespian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2005, 03:32 AM   #4
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

Like, a romanticly-interested-in-her kind of closeness. Possibly.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:51 AM   #5
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

i would say so.. you don't write songs like that about someone you feel lukewarm about... but i don't think his affection was reciprocated...
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 03:55 AM   #6
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
i would say so.. you don't write songs like that about someone you feel lukewarm about... but i don't think his affection was reciprocated...
Well, doesn't mean you can't write a deeply affectionate someone who you don't feel romantic to. I wrote a real passionate song (stand by you, I posted the lyrics in that lyric thread) about a friend of mine that I felt really close to (long story about what happened after that though), and i felt no romantic lover twards her.

Amie, really seems like a friend more than a lover. Or maybe a mentor of some type, since she reads him the story of "O". Also, what is "O"?
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #7
Wheels
Eskimo Enigma

It's "The story of O"... an errotic novel...

Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels
It's "The story of O"... an errotic novel...

Wow, really an errotic novel? Amie isn't a friend then.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:30 AM   #9
eskimofan55
Eskimo Friend

Default dAMIEn

I just had a revelation: amie is a part of Damie n's name. Is this a coincidence or intentional? This is very interesting...maybe amie is his idealized self or something, or maybe she reflects a part of himself. I don't know, I just thought this really might change the meaning of the song. Any thoughts?
eskimofan55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:52 AM   #10
Ranting Thespian
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimofan55
I just had a revelation: amie is a part of Damie n's name. Is this a coincidence or intentional? This is very interesting...maybe amie is his idealized self or something, or maybe she reflects a part of himself. I don't know, I just thought this really might change the meaning of the song. Any thoughts?

well, reading to yourself an erotic novel, doesn't seem right. Kind of wierd, though, d amie n. I think it's a coincidence, but a wierd one.
Old 05-12-2005, 12:41 PM   #11
cille
creepycute

well sometimes he sings 'story of old', and he says he didn't know about 'story of O' before he wrote the song

yeah the d amie n conspiracy theory has been up too. gosh, is it really THAT weird to read erotic novels to yourself...?
...gotta stop doing that i guess..

anyway, i like that all these theories pop up, and that we don't know who the girl/guy is. the idea of it being someone who died is really beautiful and adds a lot of sentiment to the song. the theory of it being himself also spices up the song - do we really need to know WHO the 'real' amie is?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:09 PM   #12
BenjaminCostello
Eskimo Regular

So, at his NYC show, he basically explained this song. I wish I had a recording of it so I could transcribe, but you'll have to rely on my memory - I will just try to summarize the jist:

Amie is a friend of his, and he hadn't seen her in a long time, but he found himself single at the time, and went to visit her. When he was there, they hit it off, and she invited him to stay (overnight), but apparently only as a "you can sleep here" kind of thing (too much wine? not sure). Anyhow, he talked about how she led him to the guest room, and then went to bed. He talked about lying there for hours wishing / imagining that she would come to him in the night . . . but she didn't, and he alluded to some form of self-gratifiication (which was hilarious), and then I think there was like a big picture window, and some kind of beautiful view inspired him as he lay there, and then he wrote it.

Anyone else who was there, and remembers, please extend/correct this. But, that is pretty much my memory of it. hehe

(not quite as inspiring as some of the theories, but it's real life, and I love it)

Benjamin
Old 05-12-2005, 01:25 PM   #13
Grant
Scottish Eskimo

In the Paradiso, Amsterdam gig, Damien tells the story about the boy who was pissed off etc before he plays Amie - and it basically alludes to the story told in the post above. Perhaps that is just used to set the mood during concerts however, and not necessarily the true story behind it.
Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 05:45 PM   #14
WhatAmIDarling?
Eskimo Regular

I do love that story though. Though it's not as good as mine
Old 05-12-2005, 06:21 PM   #15
marymac
Eskimo Regular

But you don't tell it in a horribly mangled Scottish accent....that makes it less cool

I don't think it was mean to be a Scottish accent, even, just what it turned into. That was quite an odd gig though.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:23 PM   #16
#Ian#
Destroyer of worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCostello
Amie is a friend of his, and he hadn't seen her in a long time, but he found himself single at the time, and went to visit her. When he was there, they hit it off, and she invited him to stay (overnight), but apparently only as a "you can sleep here" kind of thing (too much wine? not sure). Anyhow, he talked about how she led him to the guest room, and then went to bed. He talked about lying there for hours wishing / imagining that she would come to him in the night . . . but she didn't, and he alluded to some form of self-gratifiication (which was hilarious), and then I think there was like a big picture window, and some kind of beautiful view inspired him as he lay there, and then he wrote it.
I've heard that story at a couple of gigs and something has always bothered me about it, and I just realised what it was, for him to have done that as a guest in someones house is nasty.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:57 PM   #17
Grace
Eskimo Regular

its such a pretty story. minus the self gratification...
Old 05-12-2005, 09:09 PM   #18
luckydi21
Eskimo Baby

[quote=cille]well sometimes he sings 'story of old', and he says he didn't know about 'story of O' before he wrote the song

Thanks for that info - when I googled "Story of O", I got quite the shocker! After I read parts of it, I couldn't quite listen to "Amie" in the same way. But now I can write it off as merely a coincidence....
luckydi21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2005, 10:45 PM   #19
PenguinBoy
Appreciative Minion

ok! i kinda got that totally wrong then... not that's a bad thing though. i think some stuff can be ambiguous, and if people can draw new conclusions from it then cool.
I thought there was alot of reference to french in it, Amie being french for a female friend, and "story of O" being a really influencial Parisian errotic novel, and damien's tendancies towards the french (La fille danse) kinda endorsed it. And just thought there was something pure about innoscently watching in admiration listening to a girl read stuff to u. Just reminded me of me listening to "a girl" reading in class... it's just a really beautiful kinda moment. i think i'll still maintain what i thought about the song when i first heard it, even if it wasn't intended. but now it's also really kool to hear the true story.
Old 05-13-2005, 01:40 AM   #20
Lemmy
Eskimo Regular

Have any of you read David Sedaris book where he talks about "The Story of O"?

I was a huge Damien fan at the time but didn't know about the Story of O...it gave me quite a shocker.
Old 05-13-2005, 02:55 AM   #21
SisterMidnight
Jellyfishsting

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminCostello
So, at his NYC show, he basically explained this song. I wish I had a recording of it so I could transcribe, but you'll have to rely on my memory - I will just try to summarize the jist:

Amie is a friend of his, and he hadn't seen her in a long time, but he found himself single at the time, and went to visit her. When he was there, they hit it off, and she invited him to stay (overnight), but apparently only as a "you can sleep here" kind of thing (too much wine? not sure). Anyhow, he talked about how she led him to the guest room, and then went to bed. He talked about lying there for hours wishing / imagining that she would come to him in the night . . . but she didn't, and he alluded to some form of self-gratifiication (which was hilarious), and then I think there was like a big picture window, and some kind of beautiful view inspired him as he lay there...
it was a shooting star.. then a shower of shooting stars... or possibly a spaceship
anyway whatever it was at the show i was at he said "there was definitely some weird f*cking sh*t going on" in the sky that night lol

hey anybody remember this?

http://www.bandbuilder.com/damienric...ef_code=D30539

when i first got into damien i was sending this as an e-card to everyone i knew. the cartoon story cracks me up

Quote:
Originally Posted by eskimofan55
i really like this theory...

i also like that amie means 'friend'

Last edited by SisterMidnight; 05-13-2005 at 03:01 AM.
SisterMidnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2005, 02:14 AM   #22
minneken1911
Eskimo Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisterMidnight
"there was definitely some weird f*cking sh*t going on" in the sky that night lol
it's called a meteor shower, Damien.

i saw 3 shooting stars on a drive home once and thought it must've been something really special, until i found out the next that there was meteor shower... but then i saw another one the next night. one wish came true at least.
Old 05-14-2005, 02:19 AM   #23
minneken1911
Eskimo Regular

I liked the idea about it being a close loved one and the damien theory. I never thought of it in those ways. Definitely puts different perspectives on the songs.
I like 'em.
Old 05-14-2005, 04:02 AM
SisterMidnight
This message has been deleted by SisterMidnight.